Banana Leaf Modern Thai
101 E. Main St.
Mason, OH 45040Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Banana Leaf Modern Thai
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bananaleafmodernthai.com/
- Phone: 5132340779x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00am - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Asian
- Executive Chef: Pom Tongdangjoue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We will work with you to prepare a unique package for your venue.
- Private Party Facilities: Beautiful dining rooms can accommodate 8 or more. Outdoor patios can also be booked for your private party.
- Private Party Contact: Dana 5132340779x
- Entertainment: See and be seen! Enjoy the ambiance of a historical building, hear the story of our resident ghost, and enjoy the beautiful landscaping.
- Special Events: We are happy to work with you to prepare a unique package for your venue.
A word from Banana Leaf Modern Thai
Banana Leaf Modern Thai provides a treat for all the senses! Each dish is homemade and presented as a work of art. Menu favorites include Curry dishes, Spring Rolls, and of course the wildly popular Pad Thai. For those wanting to try new things, our Chef creations include Filet Mignon Panang and Crispy Diva Sea Bass. We also offer brown rice and vegetarian inspired dishes. Much of the produce is organic and we support locally grown. Don"t be surprised to see the Chef open the kitchen door to snip herbs from the outdoor patio! The decor completes the dining experience with each room on both floors uniquely decorated and upbeat global music plays in the background. Enjoy tapas and wine in the lounge or dine outdoors in nice weather on our two outdoors patios. Both are beautifully landscaped and include waterfalls. Open 7 days for lunch and dinner. Large parties are welcome and reservations are recommended. We look forward to serving you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Banana Leaf Modern Thai reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (26)special occasion (20)romantic (14)great for lunch (13)great for outdoor dining (12)good for groups (9)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Excellent Thai foodmaudeequalityDined on 9/13/2014The food was excellent, as always. The sampler appetizer is great to try different things. You must try their tiramisu, made with Thai coffee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem!BethyZVIPDined on 9/12/2014Still the best Thai food in the Cincinatti area. The seasonal special Southern Yellow Curry was amazing. The service is so warm and friendly. Absolutely one if my favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection5StarDined on 9/9/2014Wonderful experience ! Looking forward to many more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor service ruined experienceAndyDined on 8/30/2014Our service was terrible. Our entrees tasted great, but came 20 minutes before our appetizer. It took almost 20 minutes to get our drinks, and they were empty by the time our food arrived. We asked for another round and some water and the water never came, and the drinks were another 15 to 20 minutes. Being as this is a thai restaurant and we ordered our food spicy, and it would have been nice to have something to drink. What we did order was warm when we recieved it, and delicious. The atmosphere is very loud. The service was comically bad, and while we waited the other guests shared comments about how sad the wait staff was. It is unfortunate, because the food is worth recommending, but the service was the worst.
- Don't be hungry when you arrive.Nana423Dined on 8/26/2014This was our second visit. Last time the service and food were good. This time they wanted our party of 3 to sit at a table barely big enough for one person. I asked for a bigger table and was told the only way was to go upstairs. We agreed. Not a good option. The food is very good, however, the service is really slow. Being upstairs made it even worse. We ordered a $15.00 appetizer and thought it would be enough for 2 people. Not so. It was barely enough for one. This was a Tuesday evening. They need some major changes before we'll go back.
- Spot OnKPSHforeverDined on 8/22/2014My date and I will make Banna Leaf one of our favorite eateries. Outstanding food and super service. Easy parking also. Our experience was spot on in so many categories. We highly recommend you give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and AuthenticBethyZVIPDined on 8/19/2014A delicious treat in the middle of Mason, Ohio. The food and ambiance were amazing. The service warm and friendly, but the food was REALLY slow to arrive. Food was absolutely worth the wait, but if you are in a hurry grab take out! If you have time, relax and enjoy the amazing menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No my best visit - but great foodLookinforPizzainChiVIPDined on 8/16/2014This place is what it is. It was once perhaps one of my favorite restaurants. Now it falls a bit short of that. The chef/owner is fantastic. The food is a treat for sure, and the serving sizes ample. I nearly always get a special. Last night was no exception. We all ordered some variation of the southern yellow curry dish. It was delicious and we all had left overs to take home. The down side -- the venue is an old house. It has it's charm, but feels more like a B&B than a modern Thai restaurant. Staff is a bit hit or miss. We sat upstairs this time. It was fine with us, but not great if you have trouble navigating steps. The waiter - while friendly - clearly didn't like make trips up and down. We also had a wait despite reservations.Special Features:
- Excellent all the way aroundNiteoutDined on 8/16/2014The service was wonderful, never rushed. Food was great and the room we were in was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We found a new favorite!Feather502Dined on 8/14/2014I am so glad that a friend recommended this place! It was absolutely delicious and the service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening/anniversaryMasonMarriageDined on 8/9/2014a bit crowded against the next table but other than that it was GREAT. Food was phenomenal. Wine complimented well. Waitress was exceptional -- always immediately servicing but never "in our face." Value very good as well. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but pricyJcndlDined on 8/9/2014Food was excellent but pretty pricy. The outdoor seating is way to close to a busy road and quite noisy. Service was friendly but a little spotty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Love everything about Banana Leaf except the prices. This makes one of my favorite restaurants one that I don't feel I can go to regularly. We save it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, terrible serviceDiningfriendDined on 8/2/2014Went with a group of six later in evening. Place was not super crowded. Liked private dining room on 2nd floor. Took 30 minutes to get drinks because server explained that they had no clean glasses, so they had to clean them before we could get drinks. Took additional 60 min to get entrees. Food was good, service was deplorable. No apologies from staff for long wait. Staff even had nerve to rush us out so they could close, even though it was not our fault meal took so long!!! Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Excellent food and servicedw99VIPDined on 7/29/2014The service was attentive but not overbearing. The food was fantastic. The outdoor seating was great- yes, it is on a road but it is set back from more than most places can manage and the water features provided a very pleasant background visually and audibly. I wish I had more evenings in town to done there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Banana LeafDukeDinerDined on 7/27/2014Great food and service just like we have experienced on numerous visits. The servers are knowledgeable and helpful in explaining the chef's special menu items. We'll be back there again before too long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Spring roll appetizers (3) were small and ordinary $8.50. Coconut Creme a Brûlée small and just ok $9. I had the chicken Pad Thai with level 3 spice and it was wonderful but again a small portion for the price $16. We chose the beautiful fountain outdoor seating. Unfortunately at a very busy intersection and very noisy. Waitress was very friendly and helpful with choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Outdoor NookBeckyDined on 7/17/2014Great dining experience at Banana Leaf. When we arrived there was a large party in the dining room, which is very small and they were really enjoying themselves. Thus a little noisy. We chose to be seated outside. We were in a delightful nook just off the dining room. It was decorated nicely with wall hanging plants and some sculptures. Very quiet even though we were just off the street. Food was excellent. Would recommend to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Banana Leaf never disappoints!LisaBDined on 7/15/2014This restaurant is truly a gem! The menu always has something new and unique to enjoy and Dana is awesome at sharing her favorites to make the experience unforgettable!Special Features:
- Will be backlunchiesDined on 7/12/2014Excellent food and wine, great service. Even got a surprise visit from Chef Pom, specifically looking for feedback on what to do better. Very impressive. Will definitely return, with a larger group. All 4 of us finished our meals, and raved about it, 3 of the 4 of us had something different, all food delivered hot, and on time, and was tasty. Thanks Chef Pom, for making it a nice night. While we had been there 3 other times, the other couple had never been there and loved it as well.Special Features:
- Amazing food, service slippedJenInCincyVIPDined on 5/24/2014The food is always great here, but service is hit or miss. We were excited to sit outside and then see our favorite server attending to our table. Contrary to the multiple other times we've had her, she and other waitstaff were inattentive, with water glasses unfilled and no sign of a server for a half hour. Once our food arrived, it took another five minutes to get silverware, with no apologies made. My dish, one of the specials, was delicious, but too spicy and definitely not the level 2 I am requested and am accustomed to ordering. Still highly recommend this place and will go back, but with hopes of much better service.Special Features:
- Great food/unfortunate bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2014This was our 2nd visit to Banana Leaf. We loved the food so much the first time, we were anxious to bring our family there. We had a reservation at 7pm. Our waitress (who I believe is the chef/owner's wife) was nice, but did not come in for about 10 minutes. Our order was taken around 7:30pm and food did not arrive until about 8:45pm. Although the food was DELICIOUS, we never received any apologies for the delay and I was embarrassed for having recommended the place. My kids and family were VERY hungry and the delay ruined the evening. I had hoped for at least an apology - a discount would have been nice, too. We received nothing like that. Very disappointing overall, but still great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 202 reviews are from the Banana Leaf Modern Thai reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/20/2014Chef and staff very helpful and accommodating. Enjoyed the evening with our out of town guests.Special Features:
- Yummmy!!!TeriDined on 5/19/2014I found Banana Leaf to have a great menu selection. We started with the Pot Sticker Dumplings with warmed Soy Sauce. These were very good. I had Pad Thai Koong,. I think it was the best I've ever had. Spice level 3 was just right, the jumbo shrimp were perfectly cooked. Simply delicious. My friend had the Creamy Butternut Curry w/Shrimp, and loved it! Our waitress was great. She was very attentive, recommended a great bottle of wine and returned to check on us many times. We were fortunate enough to be there on a lovely May evening. Their fountain garden was a nice, serene environment to have some wine and relax with a friend. Just lovely. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Quaint Little Gem in MasonCincyExecDined on 5/16/2014Great food, great atmosphere. I have told everyone about the place.!!Special Features:
- Great FoodFoodladyDined on 5/11/2014First visited on Mothers day food was great they cook to order and is very fresh, service was very slow, started off waiting for 5 minutes after we were seated for anyone to acknowledge us and did not get much better from there on. Hopefully this is not the norm I would definitely go back for the food, had a special which was a butternut squash curry with chicken and it was amazing. pretty outside dining areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was not very goodSketchyServiceDined on 5/11/2014We sat outside on a warm sunny day. Drinks and apetizers were ordered and drinks were brought quickly. Apetizers followed 15 minutes later. Our glasses were empty for 20 minutes, and food arrived 30 minutes after that. 3 different people serviced our table and long periods of time passed with no one around. The food was excellent when it arrived, but the meal lasted nearly 2 hours (from 1 - 3pm). The restaurant did not seem crowded, but it was Mothers Day and we were the only table seated outside. I believe the service could have been much better. The bill was $260 with tip included (20%) because we had 6 diners in our party (an odd stipulation that usually applies to larger groups and is usually 18%)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingVickiDined on 5/10/2014We have been to the Banana Leaf several times and it never disappoints! There were 8 of us (4 couples) and we sat outside in the little alley and it was awesome! It was a beautiful evening so it was very pleasant dining al fresco. We had the eggplant frites and the lettuce wraps for appetizers and they were both really good. For dinner, my husband had the chicken pad thai which he said was fantastic. I had the seasonal butternut curry and it was outstanding! I love the curries at Banana Leaf! They have an interesting beer selection and my husband had a really good and refreshing ginger beer. I had wine, the Stump Jump Shiraz, which I always seem to get and love it. We passed on dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special lunch with my wifeOccasionaldinersDined on 5/10/2014We have been meaning to try banana leaf for quite some time but were unable to make it happen. I was finally able to squeeze some time for a special birthday luncheon with my wife and I'm glad. Our server was very friendly and helpful when making our food selections. Everything from the choice of tea, to the appetizers, to the entrées was absolutely perfect. The only thing that I can imagine that would have made this experience better would be if it had not been raining and we could have sat out on the patio. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Town GemQbirdDined on 5/5/2014Excellent food and service. Great unique and intimate spot for some creative and flavorful Thai food. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Fantastic Thai in OhioJonB1155Dined on 5/3/2014The focus on the total dining experience is noticed. You enter an old brick home in the middle of the square that has been revised into a fantastic restaurant. My family has been dining at Banana Leaf now for a little over a year and continue to come back. Service is top notch and the food is FANTASTIC. Thanks Banana Leaf!Special Features:
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014Wonderful food and service. My mother, sister and I shared three different entrées and we enjoyed them all. Only negative is that tables are close and we had an obnoxious table next to us. Once they left the atmosphere was much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2014Chef Pom and his wife Dana run a lovely gem of a Thai restaurant in Mason, Ohio. We got to know it on many trips to visit my parents at Otterbein, an assisted living facility nearby. The food is a modern take on Thai, comparable to some of the best Thai restaurants we know about in the New York area. My mom passed a couple of weeks ago and the Banana Leaf was able to put a dozen members of our family in a private room and let us spend several hours remembering mom while eating and drinking well. The wine list is well chosen with wonderful wines at moderate prices. Their 0 - 5 "heat" scale lets each diner fine-tune their dishes to suit. Our only regret about this restaurant is that now we won't have as many excuses to come here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceBabsanbarDined on 4/30/2014Once again we very much enjoyed our dinner at the banana leaf. The food is consistently excellent as well as very personalized service. Very nice!Special Features:
- great currycgeraciDined on 4/27/2014The Banana Leaf is consistantly great food. I had the thai new year curry with tofu and the coconut sauce with fresh basil. My guest had the Tilapia which was sizzling when it arrived . Beautiful presentation.Special Features:
- Good food, slower serviceDRW1Dined on 4/22/2014Good food and reasonable prices. Service was slow. Appears they are understaffed. You need plenty of time for dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingThePhilosopherDined on 4/13/2014This is one of a very few restaurants that I've been to where I was amazed at how good the food tasted. Simply outstanding. The service is first rate, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Banana LeafOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Our whole experience at Banana Leaf was amazing. This is the best thai we have ever had. Light and flavorful. They are mindful of spice levels for the less adventurous. The wait staff was knowledgeable and attentive without being overbearing. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was the second time IOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2014This was the second time I went but it was my boyfriends first. It was also his birthday and He loved it! The wine was great! Dancing Sexy Shrimp was a great app to start with. Shrimp fried in a sweet but savory sauce. He had the Sea Bass and I had the Tiger Tear Salad. My boyfriend loved the spice of his fish and he was obsessed with the brown rice. My salad was tangy due to a lot of red onions and I wished for my lettuce. I am also glad that I reserve a table on Open Table. Giving the restaurant a message and telling them that it was my boyfriend's birthday, also telling them that I wanted to surprise him with a Molten Lava Cake worked! He was surprised and it came with a candle. How thoughtful! The cake was moist and warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Banana Leaf Rocks!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2014I have only been to a few Thai restaurants but banana leaf was by far the best. Their cashew chicken with grilled pineapple was incredible and I wanted more. Spice levels were perfect. Cutest restaurant I've ever been to. Definitely will go again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.