15726 – 100 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T5P 0L1Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://banthaiedmonton.com/
- Phone: 7804449345
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai
- Executive Chef: Supanee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, BYO Liquor, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We will prepare take out orders for mutually agreed on pick-up times. These may be outside of our normal hours.
- Private Party Facilities: Exclusive use of our entire dining room is available Tuesday thru Sunday from 12:00 noon unti l 3:00 pm. Please reserve at least 24 hours in advance.
- Private Party Contact: Al Barnett 7804449345
A word from Ban Thai
Ethnic Thai cuisine since 1991 prepared by owner chef "Supanee". Consumer choice award winner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ban Thai reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (5)special occasion (3)good for groups (2)romantic (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Good Thai foodGiriDined on 8/15/2014Food is really good, but service is poor, I had to ask three times before water was provided. I'll definitely go back again for the food or order in.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!YEG1Dined on 7/24/2014Had a great dining experience! This time I tried the green curry and it went well with the coconut rice!Special Features:
- Good food, wait forevertonygDined on 6/28/2014The food here has always been excellent. Curries that are very aromatic and seem to be made from scratch, since it took 30 minutes to get drinks, and another hour to see our appetizers. Go if you have all night for dinner, or you may be unhappy with the long wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/29/2014I've never been disappointed coming here, the food is always delicious and the host makes you feel welecome from the time you walk in the door. My daughter took me here because it's food was authentic Thai food that reminded her of her trip to Thailand. We go back often to try a different dish every time the menu is great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai food worth waiting for!TravellerDined on 5/23/2014Ban Thai consistently offers among the best of Thai food available in the city. Sometimes service can be a bit slow but the dishes are well worth a wait. Service is friendly and the ambience is Thai-homey and quiet. The menu offers a wide selection of classic Thai dishes. Ingredients are fresh and very tasty too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 95 reviews are from the Ban Thai reviews archive.
- Amazing Food, if you have the timeImpatientAndHungryDined on 5/10/2014We ordered several dishes from Ban Thai and each of them was fresh and delicious. The only drawback was it took a very long time. We ordered the combination for 4 with additional appetizers for the 6 of us (which was the perfect amount of food). However, each dish came separately about 15 minutes apart. As a result, we were in the restaurant for almost 3 hours. We went Saturday evening and it didn't get too full. Our waiter seemed very nervous and timid but he was more than happy to answer questions or fill in requests, which also seemed to take a little longer than it should in a smaller restaurant. Overall, I would highly recommend this restaurant... for take out.Special Features:
- Good but slowsnoopydogdogDined on 4/27/2014Needed one more server instead of just the husband. Took too long to get water and our order. Good food but too too slow.Special Features:
- Visit of March 21TimandSandiDined on 3/21/2014My friend and I spent the whole evening, slowly enjoying dinner and a bottle of wine. No pressure to leave, yet attentive to our every desire. Food was fantastic, my girl friend took home the leftovers, and said it was even better the next day. But the food was plate lickable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food, Molasses SLOW serviceHungryFamilyDined on 3/20/2014Waited 40 min after arrival before server took drink order. We ordered 4 beer's, none in stock; alternative offered was just as great. 1 server (slow & old) for the whole place which is alright since there is only about 10 tables 4 of which were being used We ordered a group meal which consisted of about 5 items each came about 20-25 minutes apart Separate food coming is quite typical for Thai but 20 minutes that is a LONG Time especially when you have a hungry 5 yr old & 2 men However once the food came the anger you had from the awful service and length between plates, disappeared because the food was THAT GOOD, Ordering a 2nd round of drinks, took another 20 minutes for the server to let us know they were out, again of this beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best Thai food and I haveDawnDined on 3/16/2014The best Thai food and I have frequented more than a few Thai restaurants! This will be my new go to Thai restaurant even though its across the city from usSpecial Features:
- Great Night Out!luvyummyDined on 3/7/2014W went to Ban Thai last week for the first time. Our greeting was warm and welcoming! Very delicious meal! The service was quite slow and we were told the kitchen was backed up (which was weird because there were only 3-4 couple in the restaurant - maybe take out orders???). Regardless, some complimentary spring rolls were brought to our table because we had been waiting so long. They were fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the food...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2014Don't plan on eating here if you have plans afterwards. Expect a 2.5 hr dinner service with breaks between courses. We keep going back for the amazing flavours of Thailand!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The good and badOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/20141. Great food at good prices, nice ambience 2. The restaurant couldn't find our online reservation - do they use you? 3. Waitress was not very good (temp staff - student) 4. Music background played over... and over.. and over...and over - irritatingI would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious AuthenticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2014What a great little find! We enjoy good quality authentic food at a reasonable price. The salad rolls were very fresh and plenty to share. The red curry was just the right amount of spice. The Pad Thai was delicious! Our first impression was a little turned off by the musty smell to this older location, but once the food arrived, we were no longer distracted by the smell. We will be bringing friends here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/22/2014The food was delicious and our server was so gracious. We were there late during the week and enjoyed great Thai food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- avcellavcellDined on 12/14/2013The best Pad Thai I ever ate. The service was warm and friendly. The price is right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Walked out due to no servicenoserviceDined on 11/30/2013We have eaten at Ban Thai before and the food is great. Unfortunately the last time we were there the service was terrible. We were seated, not provided menus and then completely ignored for 15 minutes. There appeared to be only one server that evening and by the comments overheard from surrounding tables it was clear everyone had waited too long to get their food. We made the decision to walk out and go somewhere else.
- Excellent food but slow servicedynahthirstDined on 10/30/2013The food at Ban Thai is some of the best Thai food in Edmonton, I think. However, the service is exceptionally slow. The entire time we were there, about 3 hours, there was a couple just leaving when we got there, another table of three people, and my co-diner and I at another table. When we tried to order the fresh spring rolls, we were told the cook didn't have time to make them and would the deep-fried spring rolls be okay instead. The entire three hours we were there, we saw only two people come in for take out, so I'm not sure what the cook was being overwhelmed with. The food, however, will keep me going back to Ban Thai, particularly the custard and sticky rice dessert. Just know that you can't be in a hurry when you eat at Ban Thai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, inexperienced staffredphoenixDined on 10/18/2013We wanted a quick bite before heading to a concert later on, and this was in the neighborhood. The young man appeared to be a teenager, and the only waiter on staff at the time for the entire restaurant. Our soup course arrived without extra bowls or spoons. Our dinner course arrived without plates. An order of spring rolls was presented, which we said didn't belong to us. The food was very good, but the experience was marred by this inexperienced waiter. He tried hard, but when it came time for us to leave to attend the show on time, we had to take our plate to the front desk to get it packed up and pay our bill. Don't let this put you off - the food is very good. Just be prepared to be patient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great but weYummyinmytummyVIPDined on 9/25/2013The food was great but we would have ordered differently if we would have understood the concept. The intention is to share the dishes at the table. Next time I would choose a set menu from the back of list that offer multiple courses.Special Features:
- Cuisine is amazing. Decor...notWolchanVIPDined on 9/1/2013This restaurant desperately needs updating. It's tables are adorned with fake flowers and seat cushions are common. Then food however is to die for. Genuinely authentic thai cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decentEuropeanDined on 8/31/2013The quality of food has been very good, the service was great: the waiter was attentive and well -disposed but not obtrusive. The wne list was rather weak, though they had a good white, which fits well with Thai food. An excellent place for those who like Oriental food.Special Features:
- PAINFULLY SLOW SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/23/2013We got there on a Sunday at 6:00pm and only ordered 1 appetizer and 2 main dishes. It took until 8:00 pm to receive the last dish. Everything comes out 1 DISH AT A TIME!! We could not believe it. I asked the server is this was the usual thing one dish at a time and she said "yes". " the people doing the cooking are old so it takes time". WOW. Could not imagine if we had ordered more. They turned down 4 people that wanted to be seated because it would make them too busy and there was only about 10 people seated at the time. The food had ok flavour but was lacking Our chicken dish had the smallest amount of chicken I had ever seen. It was very expensive as well. $55.00 for 1 appy, 2 dishes , 1 cokes and 1 tea. We will never go back.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2013Food was ok, not great. Place needs a bit of a cleaning. One dish we ordered never arrived, when I asked about it the server returned to the kitchen and had it made. By the time the mising dish was brought to us the dishes we already had were cold, these things happen, but an apology would have been nice.Special Features:
- Best Thai food ever!FunnybunnyDined on 6/8/2013This is a great little restaurant for families or couples. The chicken satay appetizer is my favourite, but all of the dishes are good. Some a little spicy but not so much that you have to drink gallons of water. Tastefully spicy. The owners/servers are friendly and gentle spoken. The appetizers come one at a time so you have time to enjoy one dish before the next one arrives. The main dishes did come closer together. Everything is well worth waiting for. The atmosphere is very appealing. The room is dimly lit and there is quiet music in the background, so it's easy to carry on a conversation. I have been there 4 times now over the past year and I'm definitely going back again.Special Features:
- Perfect for our eventOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/5/2013Had a friend visiting from Ont. We wanted something on the west-end. Decent food and not too pricey. At first thought server was a little too quiet and layed back but came to appreciate him more as evening progressed. Gave us our space and let us visit until we wanted to order. Place has been around for a time so could you some updating but clean and comfortable. There on a Wednesday night so it was slow. We were last to leave but felt no pressure to hurry. Being able to bring wine and pay corkage was also a nice feature. Decent wine at a good price! Dinner for 3 including corkage and tip $109 plus cost of wine. We plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and pleasant staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013This little place is nicely decorated and reasonably priced. It was nearly full when we were there so the service was a bit slow but we were not in a hurry. Additionally the dishes were all served individually with breaks in between so they were hot and we could experience each of the flavours independently. The staff were very nice and the food was delicious! The menu states that the house speciality is the Pad Thai and I would definitely recommend that, it was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was amazing, someOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013The food was amazing, some of the best Thai we've had. The service was slow however.Special Features:
- Excellent!!YEG1Dined on 4/9/2013We had another excellent dinner and experience at Ban Thai. This time, we spiced up our orders and decided to try the appetizer and soup along with our regular order of Pad Thai and Chicken Panang. It was very delicious!! Thank you.Special Features:
- Excellent Thai FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/24/2013Ban Thai was awesome as usual. We can't wait to dine there again.Special Features:
- The food here is always exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/22/2013The food here is always exceptionally flavourful. It's truly one of the best Thai restaurants in the city.Special Features:
- Being a former resident inOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Being a former resident in Thailand, I do apprciate REAL Thai food and I know from previous visits that Ban Thai delivers on that promise. This is probably one reason that it has survived since 1991. It also helps that the owner and his wife, who is Thai, are the Manager and Head Cook respectively, and keep a very short line on everything.Special Features:
- Much LESS than poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/13/2013The food was good but the service was less than poor. We ordered rice, green curry chicken, Pad Thai, and cashew chicken. To start it took almost 20 minutes to get our drinks, then another 20 or 30 min to get the rice and curry, then another 20 or 30 min to get the Pad Thai, then another 20 or 30 min to get the cashew chicken. We had a 5:15 reservation and didn't walk out of there until 7:30 - paid cash so we didn't have to wait another hour to pay!! It wasn't the time so much it was the disjointed service - part of the beauty of Thai food is mixing all the different flavours on your plate (for me anyway) and I couldn't do this as each dish ended up being a course on to its own - so I won't go back.
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2013The food at Ban Thai was fine - nothing exciting but nothing terrible. The poor review is for the spectacularly bad service we had on the evening of Saturday March 10. We were at the table for a good 20 minutes before the waiter came by, the food came at intermittent times, we ordered a corked bottle of wine which was delivered after some time and plopped on the table, unopened or poured. The waiter seemed almost entirely unaware of his serving responsibilities. I hope that the service dramatically improves for what could be a decent little restaurant.
- Food is good, but given theJIWFoodieDined on 3/2/2013Food is good, but given the service, it does not make up for it. Don't eat here if you are in a hurry. We had 1 appetizer and 2 dishes and it took two hours to eat. The appetizer, satay sticks took an hours to arrive at the table.Special Features:
- The Thai green curry was excellentLizMDined on 3/2/2013The Thai green curry was excellent as was the Pad Thai. Overall the food was delicious and I would recommend this restaurant. We also had the tofu appetizer which also was very good. It was a quiet Saturday night in the Ban Thai, there were 5 in our group and it was a pleasant evening.Special Features:
- Quirky service and excellent foodGweenyVIPDined on 2/22/2013The spring rolls were delicious as was the pork and the coconut rice. The service was slow but neither rude or indifferent. It was clear that we would get our food when it was ready, and nothing on earth would speed that up.
- Slowwwww!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/20/2013We arrived and were seated promptly. It took 20 mins for the one server to come take our order so we ordered our wine, appetizer, rice and two main dishes all at once. No drink order taken prior. The appetizer, rice and 1 dish came out together 25 mins later. An hour and 20 mins after ordering our 2nd dish came. The food was great, no dispute there but a dinner out on a Wed night shouldn't take 2 hours. There were only five tables of two when we came in and one was already finished eating.Special Features:
- Very good and authentic ThaiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/16/2013Very good and authentic Thai cuisine. We are never disapointed.Special Features:
- Valentines day dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013The food was great and the experience very enjoyableSpecial Features: