202 Mott Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.balzem.com/
- Phone: 6468377033x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 5:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am -5:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - Closing
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering available
- Entertainment: Music, ambiance
- Special Events: Please call to discuss
A word from Balzem
Balzem is where you begin a tour of the northern Mediterranean coastline. From the celebrated culinary culture of Provence in Southern France to some of Italy's most elegant and refined cuisines such as in Campania, and reaching all the way to the light and carrying flavors of the Aegean coastline. Complete your journey with a selection of wine or beer from these cultural regions and other celebrated vineyards around the globe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Balzem reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)romantic (15)good for groups (14)fit for foodies (13)notable wine list (5)late-night find (5)special occasion (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (4)hot spot (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Cute place with great foode087859Dined on 9/6/2014Had dinner on a Sat night, excellent service, the menu is Mediterranean with a twist. Good wine list with plenty of options for by the glass. Reasonably priced. The space is not huge but there was plenty of elbow room. The bar looked to be well-stocked and extensive. Skipped dessert but the options looked fantastic. Definitely worth a try. I suggest making a reservation on the weekend as the place did fill up relatively fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchAnnieVIPDined on 8/10/2014Have been here a few times now, night time its amazing, great service and ambience. Went for brunch over the weekend and wasn't as satisfied. The server didn't know much about the menu and the presentation (size and layout) of the food was mediocre. Also, completely empty in the restaurant! Probably will go back for wine and snacks though.
- Great eveninguwsfoodguyDined on 8/1/2014Living in New York, I am privileged to have many great restaurants within walking distance or quick subway ride. Balzem adds to my list of “go-to” restaurants that I can recommend to friends and visitors. The food was great, ambiance is casual yet lively with good music, and the service was friendly and attentive. If you want a great Mediterranean meal with fun ambiance - I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/28/2014Went with a friend from out of town. It was a quiet Monday night. We ordered several of the small plates to share. The phyllo/feta told were great, as was the hummus, branzini ceviche, and lamb lollipops.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreTimmyDined on 7/26/2014We had a fairly large group (8) and they accomodated us well, but nothing was particularly good otherwise. One complaint is that we ordered spicy feta dip, which was tasty, but they only gave us a few pieces of cucumber to dip in it. We asked for some pita or something to dip in it, but it never came. The Food wasn't too expensive, but the wine was pricey (started at $10 per glass). Small beer selection, but as it is advertised as a wine bar, I didn't really expect it to have much of a variety. Possibly my biggest complaint was that the waiter was inattentive and we had to flag him down when we wanted something, but it was somewhat busy. Overall, I wouldn't say it was bad, but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend this place.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/23/2014This restaurant should be in every neighborhood. Food, ambience and service were excellent. Having doors open it felt like sitting outside even though we were inside. Nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014Had a great business lunch with seven guests at Balzem - vegetarian options were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great serviceAshleyDined on 7/19/2014This restaurant is the perfect fit for Soho adding a Mediterranean flare to the neighborhood. The atmosphere is energetic with attentive and friendly service. Guests enjoy a different spin to some favorite dishes...I recommend the spicy feta. Balzem also nails the classics (the hummus and brochette were delicious)! A must visit in my book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Painfully Slow ServiceBosnianBoyDined on 7/18/2014The food at Balzem is pretty good, but the restaurant feels understaffed. Everything from drink orders to paying the bill was a waiting game. My girlfriend got her meal 15 min before me, and while we enjoyed our food, we were annoyed that it took 45 min to get to us. Then we found out we ordered the same exact food as the couple sitting next to us, and we were eating their food. We would've had to wait another 20-30 min to get OUR meal. Great food, but Balzem really tries your patience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoiseRikkeDined on 7/17/2014There was too much noise - we ,as a family of four could not have a normal conversasion. The waiter was really kind and did his job well. But one of the others were just stressing aroound and made it hectic without need.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific ExperiencenycglobetrotterVIPDined on 7/11/2014I had a birthday dinner there with 12 people and even though it's a small place, they were so accommodating! The service was excellent and everyone raved about the food. At the end they even brought out a round of champagne on them to say happy birthday. Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice place!ReinoutDined on 6/3/2014Good menu with interesting dishes that are well portioned. The Tempranillo by the glass is my choice for red wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 3 reviews are from the Balzem reviews archive.
- Nothing specialkyraVIPDined on 5/16/2014Granted, they just opened, so maybe it will take some time, but went here with another couple and none of us were very impressed. They kept changing the music with their computer so there was a weird "thwack" every time they adjusted the noise level. And we had to ask repeatedly for things like water, bread, utensils. The food was fine but felt more lunch-y than anything else. I would not recommend.
- Great tapas and settingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/10/2014My wife and I were looking for a good Mediterranean tapas place in the neighborhood and we came upon this new place and it turned out great. The food is turkish and greek blend and very tasteful and lots of variety of tapas. Wine list looks limited but actually they have good selections and they go well with the tapas. We definitely recommend it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must Go!TangDined on 5/8/2014I went at Balzem for dinner and I have to say I will definitely come back! The food was fresh and perfectly cooked. A true test of Mediterranean cuisine. We shared a the fantastic brochette and a bunch of small plates in order to test as many dishes as possible. We loved: zucchini pancake, buratta, artichok dip++, octopus and the killer hummus! If you want to share good food/good wine with your friends in a nice atmosphere: go to Balzem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.