80 Spring Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.balthazarny.com/
- Phone: 2129651414
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:30am
Continental Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 10:00am
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:30am, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
Late Supper: Friday - Saturday: 12:00am - 1:30am, Sunday: 11:00pm - 12:30am
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Shane McBride
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Crosby
- Public Transit: Take the R or W to Prince Street, walk one block south to Spring & one block east to Crosby. Or take the 6 to Spring Street & walk one block west to Crosby. You can also take the F or V to Broadway/ Lafayette & walk two blocks south on Broadway & make a left on Spring.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking garage on Prince & Crosby.
A word from Balthazar
Balthazar is a traditional French Brasserie with a bustling railway station atmosphere. Our kitchen serves a variety of meat and poultry dishes including: Duck Shepherds Pie, Roasted Chicken and Steak Frites. Balthazar specializes in seafood with an array of fish entrees and a complete raw oyster and shellfish bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Balthazar - Best Restaurants in SoHo ›
Balthazar reviews from OpenTable diners
646 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (270)great for brunch (250)fit for foodies (239)hot spot (226)special occasion (206)neighborhood gem (199)good for groups (128)romantic (123)vibrant bar scene (108)notable wine list (107)late-night find (78)kid-friendly (53)great for outdoor dining (22)scenic view (8)Show More
- OverratedjavierDined on 9/15/2014We had great expectations but the food was rather medicore in its taste though priced high. We asked for the risoto, foie gras and duck confit, risoto was great, but both the duck confit and the foie gras where very poorly prepared.
- Still a strong recommendationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We first stumbled upon Balthazar in 2002 by accident and decided we simply had to go back during our latest trip to NYC. It was as good as we remembered it. Buzzing, vibrant, great ambiance and superb food. We booked Sunday brunch weeks in advance of travelling from Scotland and it was just as well given how popular it still is. It's definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014tables too tight, had to move table to sit down and get up. Plates were being removed by server with food still on our plates, didnt even ask if we were done yet and I don't appreciate being rushed when I pay that kind of money.Way over priced for what you get, the food was just OK....defintiely not worth the money.
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Best bread basket in the city including chocolate bread. Great choice of egg dishes.Special Features:
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Arriving on a Saturday at 1030pm for an 11pm table the place was buzzing so we were very excited sadly the food and service did not live up to the atmosphere. My cod and wife's tuna were overcooked. The portions were massive but we would have preferred better cooked smaller portions. We didn't eat dessert. They didn't have my first choice wine which was a bottle of Mersault so we opted for a bottle of champagne which we had to pour on more than 1 occasion. If I am paying 140 dollars for a bottle I don't want to pour it. The tip would have been far greater if the service matched the atmosphere. If anyone reading this is English I would best describe the restaurant as a mock Café Rouge.Special Features:
- FantásticoFran10Dined on 9/11/2014Gran ambiente, comida y inmejorable servicio, el lugar tiene un muy ambientado bar y el restaurant, a pesar de las mesas muy juntas, es muy agradable.Special Features:
- ClassicJP4funDined on 9/11/2014We never miss going to Balthazars when visiting NYC. Never been disappointed. Love the atmosphere, food, and service.Special Features:
- Loud, crowded and hotjiffypopVIPDined on 9/11/2014Even though it's been on the scene for awhile, Balthazar is still a scene. Went for lunch on a Thursday and it was packed. Service was rushed and not very attentive. The atmosphere was loud, hot and crowded. And foodwise, nothing exceptional in a city of exceptional food.Special Features:
- Lunch at BalthazarHeatherBLDined on 9/11/2014Walking into this place brought me back to a Paris brasserie so they have nailed the environment. The food was good to very good but for what you got- it is a little over-priced. It is Soho- so the clientele is a little on the pretentious side, which can be entertaining. Overall, I like the place but I am not sure I will go back. There are plenty other French Bistro/Brasseries in the are to try.Special Features:
- MariaDined on 9/10/2014Bom ambiente. Serviço muito bom e simpático. Óptima cozinha. Tudo excelente. É para recomendar e repetir.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely time solo dinerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014I know people that have worked here, not that the staff knew this but it has been mentioned by so many that it felt like a 'must'. It was 'old world' structured and well executed service. Food was without fault and I heard another older couple leaving raving about the 'naughty' food they'd had, that they wouldn't normal and it was the best they'd ever had, very cute. Casual feel but also special. Thank you for a lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Great service and food! Paul Bettany was great and the ambiance was lively.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014I am from Europe and loved the French Bistro feel. As authentic as they come in America.Special Features:
- Not as good as it wasvallikestoeatVIPDined on 9/9/2014Someone in the kitchen has lost their sense of taste and gone wayyyy overboard with the salt shaker. Almost inedible. Bland vinaigrette this time. Worst meal I've ever had there. Funny how it's still hard to get in. Must be all tourists or bridge and tunnels.Special Features:
- GoodNicoDined on 9/9/2014Good as usual but really close to be a chain restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coffeecoffeeDined on 9/8/2014nice place and nice service... good quality of food.... espresso coffee could be improvedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsat54Dined on 9/7/2014Although it does seem to be getting pricier and more trendy (mr and mrs Victoria "posh spice" Adams drew the paparazzi while we were there) it just never grows old as a food and dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't be beaten!Mara28Dined on 9/7/2014I came in with a group of four for sunday brunch, needless to say our experience here was fantastic. The wait staff were very attentive and service was impeccable, the food was delicious! I had a fruit salad and brioche french toast to follow, big sizes (I didn't realize how big they would be at the time!) so come with an empty belly and a big appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- doodlebugdadDined on 9/7/2014hostess gave us the best seat in the house for our incredibly delicious and artfully assembled brunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first impressionMemento63Dined on 9/5/2014My friend and I enjoyed our first visit to Balthazar. The service was excellent and the food divine. An experience made even more special by an efficient and affable wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OlgaDined on 9/5/2014We were 10 ladies from Norway looking for a good experience. Nice and beautiful room, excellent food, but the noice and eccho was horrible. We had to shout to hear and be heard, and it was impossible to have a nice talk with eachother.Special Features:
- Great Food & AtmosphereAtlizDined on 9/5/2014This food exceeded my expectations by far. This is a great lunch spot - service was fast to get the good, though lagged a bit after we got our food. I have been meaning to get down here for years but I will be more of a regular now that I know how great it is! I had the beef stroganoff, and the beef was so tender and flavorful.Special Features:
- Second Verse....OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/5/2014Second verse...same as the first. We came here for lunch two years ago and had a great time so we decided to try it again. Well, it was just as good and the waiting lines just as long. We had a reservation, which I strongly suggest for anyone.and went straight to our table. When ordering wine, our server suggested another that was cheaper than my first choice. It was excellent. There is lots of energy in this place which is great for lunch. Maybe we will try dinner next time.Special Features:
- NolaNolaDined on 9/5/2014Excellent restaurant, were seated right away, great table, attentive staff and amazing b'fast! Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinnercrispy2Dined on 9/3/2014The food at Balthazar is really good. Second time here and I tried some new dishes. The duck confit and the coq au vin were really good and the wine list was great. Service was really attentive and the bread is real bread, something hard to find in NY. Worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappopintedBTrottaDined on 9/3/2014Steak Tartare (Very Tasty) - Moule Frites (Not Good for either - Fries or Mussels) - Duck Confit (Ok - a bit dry). Service was good - but they rushed us big time and therefore gave us a free glass of wine/dessert - From sit down to out door was 1.5 hrs - Food was ok, not as good as expected, Scene was lively and proper, not talentedSpecial Features:
- Great meal in New YorkjaminskiDined on 9/3/2014Got a recommendation from a friend to try out Balthazar, and was really glad I did. I went with a couple of friends from New Zealand, and between us we sampled a fair cross-section of the menu, i.e. we all ordered different things and tried each other's dishes. Food was excellent, service impeccable, just a great night out. Will definitely go back when I'm next in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacedianalnavasDined on 9/2/2014I loved this place! Everything was perfect. The food was very good (I ordered the duck and it was amazing). The service was outstanding (the waiter even tried to explain the menu in spanish to my parents). And the ambiance was very nice! I totally recommend it!Special Features:
- Make a ReservationOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/2/2014Jam-packed with tourists, lines out the door, always. Exhausting.Special Features:
- Screaming sardines in a can.honestreview1Dined on 9/2/2014Sadly, my entire lunch with my daughter was ruined because of one aspect- the tables are simply TOO CLOSE TOGETHER. They are set up that way to obviously 'fill the room', and make as much money as possible per service- however, I will not be returning because of this reason- in spite of the food being decent.I am a size 4/6, and my daughter is a 2/4- and we were cramped- physically uncomfortable- with people on each side whose laborious and obnoxious conversation we had to be privvy to for our entire experience.I was very disappointed, and felt like I was cattle in a 'fast-food'...'pack them in... get them out' kind of way.It was more than obvious that we were just a 'table number' Twenty years of restaurants in NYC, and I won't go back .
- French bistro in NYCColleenpennDined on 9/1/2014The atmosphere in Balthazar is really authentic French Bistro. It's a really pleasant space with a bistro style menu. Mix of locals and visitors. The flavours of the food we chose were terrific. A rich peppery steak au poivre with amazing fries was my choice. However the steak was tough. So mixed reviews. Creme brûlée similarly tasted good but the texture left something to be desired. Pavlova was unmemorable. Nice spot but needs to improve the food quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience.JschwartzVIPDined on 9/1/2014All around good food in a very interesting and fun neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingness!!FoodLoverDined on 8/31/2014Best dining experience. We had great service and the food couldn't have been better! Without a doubt, order the escargot, duck confit, and duck shepherds pie. It will not disappoint!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deja vuDiner27Dined on 8/31/2014Has to be a twin to Rue 157. Very similar menu, decor, ambiance, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing.Frnnd45Dined on 8/31/2014I thought I was in France. The onion soup is just glorious. The ambiance and the light and music. A great experience that anyone in NYC should live.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New York Classic!BabeDined on 8/31/2014The food was excellent, the service was great. Unpretentious french restaurant. Perfect way to start or end a great night out in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fading success?RichardVIPDined on 8/31/2014The couple at the reservation desk was empathetic and sincere, even though the reservation wasn't honored timely. They also provided an excellent table, a table for four, and were considerate of my wife's difficulties. The waitress was prompt, took our order and disappeared for the evening, prompting me to ask a roving manager for a check, an hour and twenty minutes after our arrival. No dessert or coffee and we left without fanfare.I would recommend this to a friend.
- BasiaVIPDined on 8/31/2014NOISY Overstuffed with tables Not even close to French brasserie atmosphere Good was OK Prices are ridiculous I had better food less expensive in Paris Not worth the hype at all SOHO has many better spots with great food service and ambiance Try Isola instead
- First Time.......luveatinoutDined on 8/31/2014Great, no complaints whatsoever would highly recommend !!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014My husband and I have been to Balthazar several times, and he cooked me a meal from the Balthazar cookbooks when we were first dating. It's a special restaurant for us, and one of our favorites in the country. The food is great, drinks were great, service was great. Even the service at the bar was prompt despite the crowd. My only complaint was that the hostess was kind of rude and snobby this time. Maybe she was having a bad night.Special Features: