80 Spring Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.balthazarny.com/
- Phone: (212) 965-1414
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:30am
Continental Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 10:00am
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:30am, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
Late Supper: Friday - Saturday: 12:00am - 1:30am, Sunday: 11:00pm - 12:30am
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Shane McBride
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Crosby
- Public Transit: Take the R or W to Prince Street, walk one block south to Spring & one block east to Crosby. Or take the 6 to Spring Street & walk one block west to Crosby. You can also take the F or V to Broadway/ Lafayette & walk two blocks south on Broadway & make a left on Spring.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking garage on Prince & Crosby.
A word from Balthazar
Balthazar is a traditional French Brasserie with a bustling railway station atmosphere. Our kitchen serves a variety of meat and poultry dishes including: Duck Shepherds Pie, Roasted Chicken and Steak Frites. Balthazar specializes in seafood with an array of fish entrees and a complete raw oyster and shellfish bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Balthazar - Best Restaurants in SoHo ›
Balthazar reviews from OpenTable diners
744 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (322)fit for foodies (320)great for brunch (298)hot spot (294)neighborhood gem (235)special occasion (204)good for groups (176)vibrant bar scene (129)romantic (127)notable wine list (126)late-night find (88)kid-friendly (57)great for outdoor dining (33)scenic view (15)Show More
- Don't Miss This OneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/25/2014Great food and great service- a gem in New York CitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/22/2014This restaurant was super accommodating! We told our waitress that we were in a rush so she informed the Chef and they ensured that our food came up nice and quickly but still of excellent quality and with great serivce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visiting from AustraliaJudyCDined on 11/21/2014Have been wanting to try for a few times now when visiting from Australia so glad I finally managed to get a booking we enjoyed everything about this restaurant will be returning again for sure...service was outstanding and food a delight I have 2 French restaurants I love one in and one in Melbourne now I have a favourite in New YorkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bistro and wonderful ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/19/2014Thie little gem of a restaurant in Soho is a must visit for me whenever i go to NYC, this time again Balthazar had a great ambiance, the food was good but my pepper steak was tough, good taste but too hard to chew. They kindly did not charge us for it. Our waiter was very efficient but had a hard time with smiling, he did recomment a yummy wine. Overall a nice experience, next time i would take the daily special to be on the safe side.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is What it IsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/19/2014I'm not saying anything original here, but one goes to Balthazar for the ambiance -- the general warmth -- and classic French comfort food. It's still the one after all these years, especially now that Pastis is temporarily closed. It's perfect of its kind, on the other hand the seating is a tad cheek-by-jowl, the bustle sometimes teeters on the edge of loud and hectic, and there's a notable touristy component -- self-conscious craning necks, constant observation. But still, warm, convivial, standard food -- always a pleasant experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude mannersAndressaheimDined on 11/18/2014I usually go to NY every year at least, and every time I go, I have dinner in Balthazar. The food is delicious and the neighborhood - Soho - makes it a good dinning experience. BUT, this time was disappointing. It was not the food, it was the rude staff. At first our waitress was in a hurry... Dinning in Balthazar is an experience and we wanted to order one dish at a time. As soon as I ordered the oysters, she came in and asked us to order the main course, and as we ordered the main course, she wanted us to order more things. I know there's a line of millions of people waiting to eat there, but I WANT TO TAKE MY TIME AND ENJOY IT, no pressure. Then, at the end, I went there with my boyfriend - he payed the bill, and he's not used to this American way of paying tips at the credit card. He understood that the tips were included. But, there were not, but he didn't notice. But the thing that happened later shocked me - the mâitre chased us at the restaurant door saying in a loud voice: IN AMERICA THE TIP IS NOT INCLUDED!!!! We were both embarrassed. I really understand that give tipping is important, but it's not an obligation. The true is we forgot but nothing nothing nothing justifies the maitre's attitude. It was rude. If I were in the maitre's place I would try to be more gentle as possible, and not arrogant. It looked like we didn't want to pay the tip - and once more, the tip is not an obligation. Balthazar receives turists from all over the world. Kindness and good manners are essential. Sometimes the restaurant staff should be aware that a bad review in one country will impact a lot in people going to a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice French brasseriebricebDined on 11/18/2014Very tasty food, a bit noisy, good service and a bit pricey but not really surprising for a trendy place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentBattlemanDined on 11/16/2014It looks like upscale and it's expensive, however it's worth going. The food quality was awesome, fresh food, the steak tartar is far from good and the waiters even fast they won't smile at all. Nice variety of oysters. The place is very nice and it's perfect to meet with friends but it's also extremely noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cindy50Dined on 11/15/2014We came here for a special occasion and heard great things. The food and service exceeded those high expectationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerFiziklyfitDined on 11/15/2014Love a great brunch, and this restaurant never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!!!DeedsDined on 11/14/2014When in NYC, especially SoHo, ypu HAVE to try this place!!! Incredible food and extremely professional wait staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceMikeDined on 11/12/2014We have been here twice, the place is great, the food is amazing, and the service outstanding! I highly recommend reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Balthazar SoHoOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/10/2014This was such a great meal, we were not let down. The wine list was great and loved the decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Sorry I was unable to take this reservation. And I apologize for not cancelling it prior to the start time. I feel especially badly as I have been to Balthazar years ago and it is a spectacular restaurant and I know it is not easy to get a reservation. I am very sorry and I will be sure to cancel any reservation using Open Table if I am unable to go. I think Open Table is an excellent service and is organized impressively. I appreciate the simplicity of it and again, my apologies for not using the service how is supposed to be used. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ThrilledOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/8/2014We had not been to Balthazar in a long time. We used to frequent Pastis so we figured we would go back to Balthazar for the Steak Frites. While the steak was very good, the frites were horrible. Mcdonalds has better fries. In the world of sea salt fries, truffle fries, sweet potato fries, etc. these tasted like Sisco frozen fries and they were cold. Our service was average, other than our first cocktail, we were never offered a second drink. I remember Balthazar as being much better than this, we were very disappointed.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014Very friendly and helpful and understanding personnel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris in SOHOLPavorottiDined on 11/8/2014This was our first visit to Balthazar. The restaurant is very French in terms of its look and feel, and the breakfast was fantastic. Our visit was slightly marred by some trouble getting seated, despite having a reservation and arriving on time. They tried seating us in poor locations about 3 times - close to the kitchen, close to a group of teenage tourists, close to the bussing station, and so on. We finally got a great table, and it was all good from there on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little bit of ParisXcskierDined on 11/7/2014Great local bistro, crowded, boisterous, and very alive. Great vibe,everyone having fun. Be sure to have a reservation. We loved our late lunch, I had beet salad, fish in paper, and best, cheese and port for dessert.our waitress was the best, cheery and very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mad Houseberly1VIPDined on 11/7/2014Our luncheon reservation was for 2:30 p.m. Weren't seated until 2:50. The food is outstanding. There is the ambiance of a French bistro. However, the noise level and atmosphere is excruciating. Tables are crammed together, some in traffic aisles so that a diner is continually jostled by servers and guests waiting for tables. It is like eating in a subway. Service is quick so that they can turn tables. This is not "dining"; it is eating, and at top prices. I would guess that, like myself and my wife, 75% of the customers are tourists. I have eaten at Balthazar in London and the experience was better. All this said, the food was good, as was the service.
- Lu0021Dined on 11/7/2014Wonderful fun, beautiful décor, great service. It is the perfect place for a ladies lunch!Special Features:
- ChickenmanDined on 11/7/2014This was my third time and I will be back anytime I am in the city. Each time we have spent three hours - we sit back and enjoy - some of the best Oysters anywhere, cocktails, eggs benedict, I just love this place for brunch. Big thank you to the staff - I incorrectly scheduled this last visit for Friday morning instead of Saturday and despite being packed, they still sat us right away. I had planned this a month in advance as part of our 20th wedding anniversary weekend, so finding seats for us was a big deal and they were great about it. Great service. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing breakfast!PradaDined on 11/7/2014Sent here for breakfast as first time in New York, amazed how busy this place is, was recommended by the waitress to have eggs and puff pastry (for breakfast?) it was amazing, so have something different! Was going to just have eggs and bacon, but as our waitress said, you can have that at home, try this it's delicious. Great atmosphere too, excellent service, great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always, always goodMACaDined on 11/6/2014You cannot miss with this restaurant. Have been going for a while now and it is good EVERY TIME.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great American RestaurantJPMalletDined on 11/5/2014Great traditional American Restaurant! The food is fantastic, and the environment makes you feel the history of a traditional redtaurant. The wine list is also awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere plusClaudalicious1Dined on 11/4/2014Great ambience,appears to attract the local crowd... The foie gras superb!!!! And the duck was succelentSpecial Features:
- Always consistenteatorgetoutofthewayDined on 11/3/2014No matter how many times I visit Balthazar is always greatSpecial Features:
- A FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2014The food & the service is always amazing. My favorite place to bring guests when they're visiting NYC.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014An absolute must on any visit to New York. This friendly and bustling French style bistro has a laid back attitude with great hearty French food. The duck shepherds pie is fabulous and is the real stand out dish on what is a great menu with dishes to suit most tastes.Special Features:
- José Carlos CastilloJoseCarlosDined on 11/3/2014The atmophere is great, certainly a must in NYC, but the food is just ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb ExperienceJNsydDined on 11/3/2014After being recommended Balthazar by a notable Australian culinary critic as a place with a great vibe known as a celeb hangout who should arrive just as we did none other than Meg Ryan. Staff were friendly as we waited to be seated and as we had to wait 15 minutes at their great little bar the maitre de gave our party of 6 complimentary champagnes nice touch. Good was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC Must VisitWoodburnDined on 11/3/2014A great character restaurant in NYC. Love the vibe and the food is great. Its about the little touches.Special Features:
- Fav breakfastandreasiVIPDined on 11/3/2014Live for the Balthazar breakfast, especially the buckwheat crepes with ham and gruyere that never, ever disappoints. Always on point with the classics.Special Features:
- BigcahoonaDined on 11/3/2014Outstanding,our second time and if it wasn't 4,000 miles away it would be a regular haunt. The service amazing and our waitress even went to the trouble to provide a cake for my wife's birthday 5⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it !!!!MarcyVIPDined on 11/2/2014We just had dinner in Baltazar after running the marathon , we love these restaurant ant we go every time we visit New York . Food is always great , service always good and the ambiente is great . These year it was even nicer after finishing the marathon , we celebrate very happy in the place !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014One of our favorite places to eat in NYC!! The best Eggs Benedict I've ever had!!Special Features:
- BrunchbigglesDined on 11/2/2014Always a good scene with people watching, conversation and food as the key ingreadients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tired?Americangourmet1Dined on 11/1/2014Balthazar has been a regular on our go to list whenever we are in New York City. We were disappointed this time. Ordered the grilled sardine appetizer. Horrible. Dry and more bread than sardines. Steak au Poivre also terribly disappointing. Tough and tasteless. We won't take them off the list yet. Great location and will always give a second chance but this time just wasn't good.
- almost perfectAlandBVIPDined on 11/1/2014A few unruly children but otherwise remains a favorite, especially for brunch!Special Features:
- Paris in sohoirmNYCDined on 11/1/2014Great ambiance, great location, good food! Enjoyed coming back for Sunday brunch, although like the week breakfast choices better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!BehdisDined on 10/31/2014I have been to Balthazar many times! I love the service and the ambiance. The food is outstanding and sufficient with great quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.