80 Spring Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.balthazarny.com/
- Phone: 2129651414
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:30am
Continental Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 10:00am
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:30am, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
Late Supper: Friday - Saturday: 12:00am - 1:30am, Sunday: 11:00pm - 12:30am
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Shane McBride
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Crosby
- Public Transit: Take the R or W to Prince Street, walk one block south to Spring & one block east to Crosby. Or take the 6 to Spring Street & walk one block west to Crosby. You can also take the F or V to Broadway/ Lafayette & walk two blocks south on Broadway & make a left on Spring.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking garage on Prince & Crosby.
A word from Balthazar
Balthazar is a traditional French Brasserie with a bustling railway station atmosphere. Our kitchen serves a variety of meat and poultry dishes including: Duck Shepherds Pie, Roasted Chicken and Steak Frites. Balthazar specializes in seafood with an array of fish entrees and a complete raw oyster and shellfish bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Balthazar - Best Restaurants in SoHo ›
Balthazar reviews from OpenTable diners
689 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (299)fit for foodies (288)great for brunch (272)hot spot (255)neighborhood gem (232)special occasion (205)good for groups (148)romantic (129)vibrant bar scene (126)notable wine list (122)late-night find (81)kid-friendly (61)great for outdoor dining (22)scenic view (13)Show More
- Great FoodCrissVIPDined on 10/17/2014As always Balthazar is a great place to have lunch. Our food was delicious and not regret to have been there. Is a place quite noisy and if you are able to cope with a lot of people on such high noise level you couldn't be disappointed by the food.Special Features:
- Good place and very foo but noyisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I've been there whenever I'm in NY! At lunch and at night. My children also love it!Special Features:
- Perfection every timejzairickVIPDined on 10/17/2014Every time I go to NY I go to Balthazar because I love their breakfast, the service and the atmosphere. Try the scrambled eggs with puff pastry, you will love them. Also try the hot chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost ParisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014I try to get reservations for Balthasar's whenever I come to NYC. I have tried to get dinner reservations for years but they are always booked. Dinner here is on my bucket list. It feels so Parisian. Their almond croissants at breakfast are perfect with shirted eggs. Great coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood stapleNYCfoodie622Dined on 10/17/2014I love going to Balthazar. Always reliable. Always good, whether it's for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. And despite the slight feeling of frenzy, they always seem to have things under control. The design and feel of the place is second to none. They've created an authentic slice of Europe in Soho. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- luv2dineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014Sat quickly, had kids with on NYC runaway trip. Food was perfect and service even better...place very busy but that is what makes it so great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014Went to Balthazar for a late lunch. A friend had told us it was a must visit and we are so glad we went. The food was outstanding. We started with three types of oysters, the cheese plate and the cheese and onion tart (one of the best things we had all weekend). I then had the duck confit (by far the best thing I had all weekend) and my wife had the steak frittes. We finished up with the pot de crème. Everything was spot on and tasted excellent. I highly recommend Balthazar. Our only complaint was our waiter. He was not only unenthusiastic, he was at times rude and unhelpful. When asked for recommendations his response was "everything is fine." Not really helpful or a ringing endorsement of the food choices. The food won out in the end.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014Amazing restaurant! I love. When in New York City, Balthazar at list one time! Good food and good ambience.Special Features:
- Tried and true.....PattiDined on 10/16/2014After 30 yrs, this neighborhood gem never disappoints.Special Features:
- Good vibe. Good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Balthazar is a good option for dinner in NYC. Good vibe. Good food. Excellent wine list. I loved the Duck Breast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED IT!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/15/2014We were able to move up our reservations which was so very nice. I ordered the chicken club and my friend ordered the Duck Confit. Both were excellent! The service was outstanding. I will definitely come back here again.Special Features:
- The bestNini56Dined on 10/14/2014Eveytime I visit New York my first reservation is at Balthazar, excellent food, great service, I really go because of the excellent plates so well done, for me the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014food excelente, but the place has a lot of noise. The tables are very close and you can´t talk with privacity. There are many people around the door because they're waiting a table . A big mess. If you don´t have reservations don´t go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014We booked for a late supper sitting at 11pm. The restaurant was still bustling and lively. Service from the sommelier was impeccable - she really knew her wines - which was good for us as the wine list was mainly French. The wait staff were average, but that is quite typical for the US, where the automatic expectation of a tip does not provide any incentive to apply extra effort. If you want French in New York then this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cordonDined on 10/12/2014The overall experience was good but we come for the food and it was not up to par. The onion soup while tasty was mostly bread. The mussels were just plain awful, full of raw onions and a tasteless creamy liquid. One of my long time favorites a big disappointment this time.Special Features:
- another great brunchmdmomVIPDined on 10/11/2014I love brunch at Balthazar. My waitress went out of her way to get me the last brioche which I was really craving. The fruit was wonderful. The only problem is getting the time you want. Otherwise, great meal and ambience.Special Features:
- Love ItOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014We have gone several times as a couple, but this year we brought our 16 and 13 yr olds to NY. Balthazar was their favourite restaurant and it has long been one of our go to's. It's lively and great food. It seems to be always busy.. lunch and dinner. Get a reservation before you go and enjoy!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the same restaurantmtlgrlDined on 10/10/2014I was originally here 10 years ago, and more recently 5 years ago. Going there this year... was an experience. The restaurant was more crowded, it seemed to have more seating. Paper table clothes in lieu of fabric, cold butter and hard bread instead of warm butter and soft bread, small stringy fries instead of hand cut.... I was disappointed. I ordered steak frites, and the steak to be medium. When it came to the table it was rare. The steak was also without the butter on top that was mentioned in the menu (the recipe is in the cookbook). When I had to ask for it, it was cold and hard to melt. Hoping to salvage the afternoon, ordered desert. The creme brulee wasn't hardened enough. Great service didn't salvage the meal. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Delicious food great serviceHollieByGollyDined on 10/9/2014Delicious french food in the heart of Soho, with efficient and friendly American service. The menu had many options of meat, fish and vegetarian and the desserts were delicious! A plentiful wine list too. Definitely recommend for dinner with family, friends or a romantic evening, though it's pretty noisy when it's busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Balthazar has still got it!DelishDined on 10/9/2014Went here a few years ago for breakfast and this time for lunch. Love it! Such a great scene and the food is amazing! A must visit in SoHo. The Homemade Corn & Ricotta Agnolotti was amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticShonaDined on 10/8/2014I would like to come there for special occasion. I can't afford Balthazar for my regular dining as I don't earn much but it is nice coming there on special occasions with my partner. Food and ambience was great and above all, my partner loves your place. So we would love to come there in future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must wait too long !Love2dineDined on 10/8/2014We waited 45 min for a table. The lunch menu is very limited, it took around 45 more min to bring our order to the table. The meats were overcooked.Special Features:
- Love the breakfast!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/8/2014Worth the splurge for the amazing pastries. A little noisy -- and touristy.Special Features:
- Once again a hit with my guestsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/7/2014Love this place. Better food and atmosphere than any brasserie in Paris (better than Le Grand Colbert). All my first time guests in our group of 7 loved it here at Balthazar. Great service at the bar the maitre D and at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BalthazarjuiannaDined on 10/7/2014We were seated right away, the lady who took our order was lovely and the food was great and served quickly. The restaurant was way too noisy, I couldn't even hear the person in front of me. Also, the tables are maybe a bit too close to each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit from PanamaPINCDined on 10/7/2014Second time around. Great ambiance, great food. Will be back next time in NY for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Balthazar dinnerghhsDined on 10/6/2014Too noisy, was welcomed rather coldly even though we had a reservation ,but the lady that served our table was fantastic. Average food.Special Features:
- Jersey Boy JPJerseyBearDined on 10/6/2014My wife has raved about Balthazar's for years and she has been there several times, so on our recent trip to the Big Apple Balthazar's it was a must for to see what was the big deal. We had a great experience from the attentive service to the culinary creations, everything was wonderful. The ambiance of the restaurant was like a walk back to the not too distant past. If you're heading to New York on business or pleasure, Balthazar's needs to be on your "places to eat" list. Bon appetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not worth the visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/5/2014We love french restaurants, even the not so famous, and this is not worth the visit. there will be many better options in town. the food is ok, but far from great. you eat better fillet with french fries even in Brasilia. don´t waist your time there. the service isn´t great also. everything is just OK. not bad, but far from great.Special Features:
- dub60Dined on 10/5/2014Enjoyed the meal and the ambiance. Great atmosphere. Would recommend it to others visiting New York.Special Features:
- Great dininglegaleagleDined on 10/5/2014I had the grilled sardines with fennel, Coq au vin and panna cotta dessert. Everything was delicious. My Chardonnay was excellent. I think this is one of the best meals I wvery had since living in NYC. The service was excellent and the bar although crowded provided fast service. I would eat there every week if possibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatNYCfoodyDined on 10/5/2014As a frequent visitor to NYC, I will always try to squeeze in Sunday brunch to Balthazar. A wonderful restaurant, period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but not brilliantl0veangelDined on 10/4/2014I expected a better food considering the reviews and the appearance of the restaurant so felt a bit let down in that respects. Still a good experience just not amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eggs FlorentineTalbottDined on 10/4/2014This was the best eggs florentine I've ever had. The waiter warned that there was no bread and asked I woul like a side of English muffins. I said no thanks. The eggs came in a small hot iron skillet on a bed of sautéed spinach and artichoke hearts. It was incredible. The flavors were well balanced and the proportions perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist DelightJwall1950Dined on 10/3/2014My wife and I visit New York for three things: Shopping, Plays and a Balthazar brunch. They always have an very personable wait staff, good bread and wonderful meals. We can fly into New York and feel that we are in a Paris bistro. Thanks for another memorial experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and very crowdedAndyDined on 10/3/2014It has an excellent food and is really crowded probably cause it a traditional restaurant on SOHO ... Very good to eat oysters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable lunch makes for moreJoeDorzDined on 10/3/2014Had the pleasure of having lunch at Balthazar's with someone I had not seen for 20 years. But Balthazar was just the place to restart a conversation, to enjoy good food with a well fitting wine. It is probably thanks to Balthazar's that the rest of the day will remain in my memory as very memorable indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantFBerlinDined on 10/1/2014Excellent food, great service. Recomended making a reservation before.Special Features:
- Great as UsualLovelyDiningExperienceDined on 9/29/2014I love the restaurant and it never fails on service or quality. It was a wonderful place to bring my out of town family.Special Features:
- Best in serviceJaLoDined on 9/29/2014Service is superior. Works like a clock. French look and feelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.