80 Spring Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.balthazarny.com/
- Phone: 2129651414
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:30am
Continental Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 10:00am
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:30am, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
Late Supper: Friday - Saturday: 12:00am - 1:30am, Sunday: 11:00pm - 12:30am
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Shane McBride
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Crosby
- Public Transit: Take the R or W to Prince Street, walk one block south to Spring & one block east to Crosby. Or take the 6 to Spring Street & walk one block west to Crosby. You can also take the F or V to Broadway/ Lafayette & walk two blocks south on Broadway & make a left on Spring.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking garage on Prince & Crosby.
A word from Balthazar
Balthazar is a traditional French Brasserie with a bustling railway station atmosphere. Our kitchen serves a variety of meat and poultry dishes including: Duck Shepherds Pie, Roasted Chicken and Steak Frites. Balthazar specializes in seafood with an array of fish entrees and a complete raw oyster and shellfish bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Balthazar reviews from OpenTable diners
646 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (279)great for brunch (267)fit for foodies (216)hot spot (214)special occasion (207)neighborhood gem (198)romantic (121)good for groups (110)notable wine list (108)vibrant bar scene (91)late-night find (79)kid-friendly (47)great for outdoor dining (23)scenic view (10)Show More
- A touch of FranceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014On recent trip to New York went for a late evening meal at Balthazar and was delighted. A highlight of our trip. Loved the risotto which was so fresh and light. Very relaxed and buzzy atmosphere with every table full when we arrived at 10pm on a Sunday evening. We were seated immediately, great service and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tradition!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Love it always! Never fails to please..:) though now a days it is mostly tourists it still maintains its charm and elegance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST BRUNCH IN NYC!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014definitely would reccomend everything but the eggs benedict and brioche french toast are absolutely delicious!!!!Special Features:
- Consistently greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Our family has dined at this restaurant several times over the last 3-4 years and it always delivers a great meal with good service.Special Features:
- Soho fun spotTeenDined on 8/23/2014Love the Mac and Cheese! Lively hip atmosphere, did I mention the Mac and Cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic French Bistro!bs093070VIPDined on 8/22/2014Heard about this place and was waiting to go for almost a year - worth the wait! Started with the goat cheese/onion tart - amazing! We had steak frites and a chicken dish - both great! Wine list was impressive, and desserts were good. Fantastic experience!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014EVERYTHING WAS JUST AS EXPECTED. YEAR AFTER YEAR, THE RESTAURANT, STAFF AND FOOD DO NOT DISAPPOINT.Special Features:
- As UsualOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014It is always up to par..food and Service were perfect if you plan on going reservations are recommendedSpecial Features:
- A+ Business LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Went to Balthazar for the first time last week with clients. Great food - lots of diverse options - and an extensive wine list. Their fries are surprisingly delicious. Seating was a little crammed, but I cant knock it too hard for that, alone. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to bezbakDined on 8/17/2014I've been going to Balthazar for years, every time I visit the city. Everything this time was just disappointing. The service felt rushed, and the waiter was indifferent. The food was not the same as it used to be. I had the egg's Norwegian, and they were soggy. This used to be my go-to new york brunch, but now, I have to say, it's not worth the trip.
- I love it!Anne80Dined on 8/16/2014This was my second visit at Balthazar, and I will definitely go back on my next visit to New York. Great service and great food! It feels like a visit to France ;-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit this place every chance I getFoodComaGuyDined on 8/16/2014A quaint Soho neighborhood gem, with French flair and style. The oyster raw bar is always fresh and satisfying. Not inexpensive, but always charming and great for breakfast or brunch on a weekend morning. At $15 on their own, the bill won't shock as much if you simply forget about indulging in the Mimosas (but don't forget about the Mimosas, top notch). Whatever the special is, try it - this time it was a strange cod and potato mash that tasted great with the baguette. They poach eggs perfectly here, and the hollandaise is spot on with eggs benedict, and florentine won't disappoint if you need some iron to help cancel out the cholesterol factor :) Finally, the wait staff are young, courteous, sharp, and attentive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014We took my in-laws last weekend for brunch. Delicious food, excellent service.Special Features:
- About the menuBRguyDined on 8/15/2014I was expecting some more French menu. But it was good in general.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014food was great!!! the music was really great price is fairSpecial Features:
- Great LunchjamespurnellDined on 8/15/2014Met here for lunch with friends. Great service and tasty food. Service was quick but not rushed and everyone enjoyed the meal. Have visited this restaurant a few times when visiting New York and it's always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the ambienceLindaBDined on 8/15/2014This restaurant sits right in the heart of Soho. It's a French brassiere style restaurant. The staff is not overly friendly, too bad it would have been a better experience. Food is good however expensive. Loved using Open Table to make my reservations, quick and easy. I would recommend this restaurant the ambience was amazing and you are sure to run into someone famous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything I expectedkhd21Dined on 8/15/2014Visiting NYC and on short notice, couldn't get a brunch reservation, so settled for breakfast. Service was immediate and attentive throughout. The best omelette I've ever had. Herbs and gruyere. That's it; as it should be. So fluffy, it melted on the tongue. Potatoes were good; nothing too memorable, but good. I mean it's potato. The coffee was great. It's more about the ambience than anything. Tres Francais. Old tile, dark wood, bistro tables. From New Orleans and it reminded me of the elegance of Antoine's but the casualness of a bistro. I could have languished here a bit longer and plan to at a different meal time on my next visit. When you plan your visit to NYC, use open table where possible. It's easy and reliable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service in NY!SkurvybonesDined on 8/15/2014We visited Balthazar for breakfast on a Friday morning. We had a reservation so we were shown to our table right away. We were blown away by how courteous and knowledgeable our waitress was! Not only did she suggest certain dishes on the menu but when our food arrived she made sure to tell me the best way to eat my Scrambled Eggs in Puff Pastry...get a little bit of everything in each bite. She was so sweet and was the first server we encountered on our trip that actually asked us where we were from. She never let my coffee cup go empty either. The coffee was perfect, the food AMAZING, and the service was the best we experienced in our 3 days in the city.Special Features:
- Excellent lunchAustindocDined on 8/14/2014I was able to organize a lunch for 8 at Balthazar during our family trip to NYC. We had a table within 10 min from our arrival (with reservations) and the waiters were nice and pleasant. The food was perfect and arrived very soon after our order. Some of us had the steak, others the beef stroganoff and some had pasta and salmon. The ambience is good, noisy and was still busy at 2:30 pm. The profiteroles were to dye for! There is no menu for kids but my 9 year old enjoyed the steak and my 8 year old ate her plate even though I secretly wanted some left for me! Overall, great experience and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good!FoodieFanDined on 8/14/2014We went to Balthazar for breakfast on a recent trip to NYC. The service was excellent, the food very good and the ambience matched the city and the neighbourhood....energetic and lively. Balthazar is a 'go to'. We will certainly be back.Special Features:
- Great atmospheretexasmamaVIPDined on 8/12/2014We had a fun nite.I have been reading and hearing about Balthazar for a long time and always wanted to go there. The restaurant looks like an old French bistro in Paris and so the tables are set really close to each other which makes it cozy. Our waiter was terrific and very knowable about the menu. We first shared the risotto which was great. For our entrees my husband had the fish special that night- a white fish stuffed with red peppers and dandelion greens. It was a bit salty so it wasn't his favorite. I had the chicken breast which was done to perfection but it came with a side salad of dandelion greens too. I really didn't like the salad because the greens were bitter and tough. For dessert we had the apple tart which was marvelous.Special Features:
- Lively & TastyPapamonetDined on 8/12/2014Always lively and consistently excellent. FUN !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Did not disappoint, food was supurb. Would most definitley returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2014We were greeted by friendly and accommodating staff. Our waiter provided outstanding service. And, but for the onion soup which was disappointing and for which we ultimately were not charged, the food was quite good: my hamburger was among the best I'd eaten in a while; and since my husband ordered the moules frittes, I shared his fries and ordered a salad to accompany my burger instead. The mussels, although small, were excellent -sweet and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't live up to reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2014Was quite disappointed with both service and good. Both mediocre at best. Just seems they are relying on their past reputation and really not putting forth the effort required by a 4-5 star restaurant.
- WimmieVIPDined on 8/8/2014This is a classic that remains a classic. Food is exceptional and ambience is neighborhood french at its best. A vibrant place to be with excellent service and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Coq au vin!VegasfoodieVIPDined on 8/8/2014Couldn't decide on which oysters to try so had the oyster sampler. Each oyster varietal was excellent, fresh and slid right into my mouth. Coq au vin not to be missed. If you love panna cotta you must try this one, creamy smooth deliciousness! Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience, mediocre foodIWantQuietRstrntVIPDined on 8/7/2014Fantastic parisian feel, great service, but food mediocre and not even tasty, not inventive or even great ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it !!PsakDined on 8/7/2014Went there with the wife and kids to grab lunch. Had a later reservation. They were able to move the reservation up and took us right away. Everything we ordered was great. The kids enjoyed the food as well. Would highly recommend you try this place when in NYC. Make a reservation, it is very popular and busy; but well worth it !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NelgoDined on 8/7/2014Balthazar is always a great restaurant while in NYC. The food is always good and consistent, the service is great and the ambiance is vibrant! You must have the creme brulee for dessert. Best in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- donnahdonnahDined on 8/6/2014great food and ambience but exceptionally noisy - this made it hard to hear across the tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Balthazar never disappoints...AngeliqueDined on 8/5/2014I love it here! We started our meal with the shrimp cocktail and I must say it was terrific. The shrimp were very large and sweet, just how I like 'em. This time around I had the steak frites as my entree which was quite good. I would say that for the price I would have liked the meat to be a little more tender. However, it was well seasoned and cooked a perfect medium rare and the frites were fantastic, as usual. I finished my meal with the warm chocolate cake with white choclate ice cream. It was so very good but after all the food and champagne we had there was hardly any room for it. In summation, I highly recommend Balthazar for a lively, romantic, or fun date or just lunch with friends.Special Features:
- Reminds me of ParismarshDined on 8/5/2014We love the atmosphere despite the noise level. Service was pleasant and food was delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014Surprisingly busy for a Monday - But I soon saw why. Great service, Great food, and fantastic buzzSpecial Features:
- Great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014Very good food, lovely place, ideal for couples ou families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- octcostaDined on 8/2/2014I enjoyed the experience I had with Balthazar last week. The food was nice, the service was very good but sometimes the noise became too loudly. A typical french bistroSpecial Features:
- JackieDined on 8/2/2014I had dinner two years ago and loved the food and atmosphere. Had brunch last Saturday with two friends. We all enjoyed the food, service and find everything to our satisfaction.Special Features:
- Excellent steak fritesKkuper1Dined on 8/1/2014Great ambiance in the French bistro way. Excellent steak frites - the french fries are really fantastic! No kids menu but the steak frites is big enough to share for two children under 12.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French in SOHOVaVaDoDined on 8/1/2014I've been trying to get into Balthazar's for dinner for quite sometime but the scheduling never matched up but I was able to for my birthday. I've had my fair share of French so I usually try a staple which was roast chicken. However, the hype and anticipation did not match with what I had thought it should be. It was a little dry but not overly but not exceptional. The bread and the butter were actually better honestly that they gave you at the beginning of the meal. I had the strawberry rhubarb pie and it was really good. The service was top notch though and I enjoyed the atmosphere greatly. I hear brunch is nice but haven't had a chance to try it out. Maybe next time.Special Features: