80 Spring Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.balthazarny.com/
- Phone: (212) 965-1414
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:30am
Continental Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 10:00am
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:30am, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
Late Supper: Friday - Saturday: 12:00am - 1:30am, Sunday: 11:00pm - 12:30am
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Shane McBride
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Crosby
- Public Transit: Take the R or W to Prince Street, walk one block south to Spring & one block east to Crosby. Or take the 6 to Spring Street & walk one block west to Crosby. You can also take the F or V to Broadway/ Lafayette & walk two blocks south on Broadway & make a left on Spring.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking garage on Prince & Crosby.
A word from Balthazar
Balthazar is a traditional French Brasserie with a bustling railway station atmosphere. Our kitchen serves a variety of meat and poultry dishes including: Duck Shepherds Pie, Roasted Chicken and Steak Frites. Balthazar specializes in seafood with an array of fish entrees and a complete raw oyster and shellfish bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Balthazar - Best Restaurants in SoHo ›
Balthazar reviews from OpenTable diners
749 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (325)great for lunch (322)great for brunch (301)hot spot (296)neighborhood gem (239)special occasion (207)good for groups (172)vibrant bar scene (135)notable wine list (133)romantic (130)late-night find (87)kid-friendly (59)great for outdoor dining (31)scenic view (15)Show More
- Delcious French FoodkimfarDined on 10/14/2014Balthazar was a wonderful experience. I had the duck confit which was delicious and my husband had the shrimp pasta. The atmosphere was energetic and fun with a European touch of class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestNini56Dined on 10/14/2014Eveytime I visit New York my first reservation is at Balthazar, excellent food, great service, I really go because of the excellent plates so well done, for me the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceCris19Dined on 10/14/2014food excelente, but the place has a lot of noise. The tables are very close and you can´t talk with privacity. There are many people around the door because they're waiting a table . A big mess. If you don´t have reservations don´t go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Am I in Paris?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2014Beautiful French decor, you'd think you were in a Parisian Bistro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Balthazar never disappointsFoodieNYCDined on 10/14/2014A real treat to start the day with brunch at Balthazar. Our group was seated at a lovely cosy unobtrusive location amongst an energetic and buzzing ambiance. Wonderful service and food. Enjoyed by all. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French in NYCHardtopleaseDined on 10/13/2014We booked for a late supper sitting at 11pm. The restaurant was still bustling and lively. Service from the sommelier was impeccable - she really knew her wines - which was good for us as the wine list was mainly French. The wait staff were average, but that is quite typical for the US, where the automatic expectation of a tip does not provide any incentive to apply extra effort. If you want French in New York then this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cordonDined on 10/12/2014The overall experience was good but we come for the food and it was not up to par. The onion soup while tasty was mostly bread. The mussels were just plain awful, full of raw onions and a tasteless creamy liquid. One of my long time favorites a big disappointment this time.Special Features:
- another great brunchmdmomVIPDined on 10/11/2014I love brunch at Balthazar. My waitress went out of her way to get me the last brioche which I was really craving. The fruit was wonderful. The only problem is getting the time you want. Otherwise, great meal and ambience.Special Features:
- Love ItOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014We have gone several times as a couple, but this year we brought our 16 and 13 yr olds to NY. Balthazar was their favourite restaurant and it has long been one of our go to's. It's lively and great food. It seems to be always busy.. lunch and dinner. Get a reservation before you go and enjoy!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the same restaurantmtlgrlDined on 10/10/2014I was originally here 10 years ago, and more recently 5 years ago. Going there this year... was an experience. The restaurant was more crowded, it seemed to have more seating. Paper table clothes in lieu of fabric, cold butter and hard bread instead of warm butter and soft bread, small stringy fries instead of hand cut.... I was disappointed. I ordered steak frites, and the steak to be medium. When it came to the table it was rare. The steak was also without the butter on top that was mentioned in the menu (the recipe is in the cookbook). When I had to ask for it, it was cold and hard to melt. Hoping to salvage the afternoon, ordered desert. The creme brulee wasn't hardened enough. Great service didn't salvage the meal. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Delicious food great serviceHollieByGollyDined on 10/9/2014Delicious french food in the heart of Soho, with efficient and friendly American service. The menu had many options of meat, fish and vegetarian and the desserts were delicious! A plentiful wine list too. Definitely recommend for dinner with family, friends or a romantic evening, though it's pretty noisy when it's busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Balthazar has still got it!DelishDined on 10/9/2014Went here a few years ago for breakfast and this time for lunch. Love it! Such a great scene and the food is amazing! A must visit in SoHo. The Homemade Corn & Ricotta Agnolotti was amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticShonaDined on 10/8/2014I would like to come there for special occasion. I can't afford Balthazar for my regular dining as I don't earn much but it is nice coming there on special occasions with my partner. Food and ambience was great and above all, my partner loves your place. So we would love to come there in future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must wait too long !Love2dineDined on 10/8/2014We waited 45 min for a table. The lunch menu is very limited, it took around 45 more min to bring our order to the table. The meats were overcooked.Special Features:
- Love the breakfast!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/8/2014Worth the splurge for the amazing pastries. A little noisy -- and touristy.Special Features:
- Once again a hit with my guestsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/7/2014Love this place. Better food and atmosphere than any brasserie in Paris (better than Le Grand Colbert). All my first time guests in our group of 7 loved it here at Balthazar. Great service at the bar the maitre D and at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BalthazarjuiannaDined on 10/7/2014We were seated right away, the lady who took our order was lovely and the food was great and served quickly. The restaurant was way too noisy, I couldn't even hear the person in front of me. Also, the tables are maybe a bit too close to each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit from PanamaPINCDined on 10/7/2014Second time around. Great ambiance, great food. Will be back next time in NY for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Balthazar dinnerghhsDined on 10/6/2014Too noisy, was welcomed rather coldly even though we had a reservation ,but the lady that served our table was fantastic. Average food.Special Features:
- Jersey Boy JPJerseyBearDined on 10/6/2014My wife has raved about Balthazar's for years and she has been there several times, so on our recent trip to the Big Apple Balthazar's it was a must for to see what was the big deal. We had a great experience from the attentive service to the culinary creations, everything was wonderful. The ambiance of the restaurant was like a walk back to the not too distant past. If you're heading to New York on business or pleasure, Balthazar's needs to be on your "places to eat" list. Bon appetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not worth the visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/5/2014We love french restaurants, even the not so famous, and this is not worth the visit. there will be many better options in town. the food is ok, but far from great. you eat better fillet with french fries even in Brasilia. don´t waist your time there. the service isn´t great also. everything is just OK. not bad, but far from great.Special Features:
- dub60Dined on 10/5/2014Enjoyed the meal and the ambiance. Great atmosphere. Would recommend it to others visiting New York.Special Features:
- Great dininglegaleagleDined on 10/5/2014I had the grilled sardines with fennel, Coq au vin and panna cotta dessert. Everything was delicious. My Chardonnay was excellent. I think this is one of the best meals I wvery had since living in NYC. The service was excellent and the bar although crowded provided fast service. I would eat there every week if possibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatNYCfoodyDined on 10/5/2014As a frequent visitor to NYC, I will always try to squeeze in Sunday brunch to Balthazar. A wonderful restaurant, period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but not brilliantl0veangelDined on 10/4/2014I expected a better food considering the reviews and the appearance of the restaurant so felt a bit let down in that respects. Still a good experience just not amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eggs FlorentineTalbottDined on 10/4/2014This was the best eggs florentine I've ever had. The waiter warned that there was no bread and asked I woul like a side of English muffins. I said no thanks. The eggs came in a small hot iron skillet on a bed of sautéed spinach and artichoke hearts. It was incredible. The flavors were well balanced and the proportions perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist DelightJwall1950Dined on 10/3/2014My wife and I visit New York for three things: Shopping, Plays and a Balthazar brunch. They always have an very personable wait staff, good bread and wonderful meals. We can fly into New York and feel that we are in a Paris bistro. Thanks for another memorial experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and very crowdedAndyDined on 10/3/2014It has an excellent food and is really crowded probably cause it a traditional restaurant on SOHO ... Very good to eat oysters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable lunch makes for moreJoeDorzDined on 10/3/2014Had the pleasure of having lunch at Balthazar's with someone I had not seen for 20 years. But Balthazar was just the place to restart a conversation, to enjoy good food with a well fitting wine. It is probably thanks to Balthazar's that the rest of the day will remain in my memory as very memorable indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantFBerlinDined on 10/1/2014Excellent food, great service. Recomended making a reservation before.Special Features:
- Special Occasion DiningBienRepasDined on 10/1/2014An excellent venue for slick, New York high-end dining. The place is a buzz of activity. Tables are very close together and yet that is simply part of the vibe of the place. A high ratio of staff to customers. The food is of superior quality and well presented. The seafood is outstanding - we had never before seen such a variety of oysters! It is a place to savour food and life!Special Features:
- Great as UsualLovelyDiningExperienceDined on 9/29/2014I love the restaurant and it never fails on service or quality. It was a wonderful place to bring my out of town family.Special Features:
- Best in serviceJaLoDined on 9/29/2014Service is superior. Works like a clock. French look and feelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food...crowded and noise placeAlexDined on 9/29/2014There aren't lunch or dinner options for vegetarian, only sandwich. But the quality is high.Special Features:
- drleoDined on 9/28/2014Very, very busy; obviously extremely popular. Noisy, but great French bistro atmosphere. Small booths at left wall and back corner seem less noisy rather than being in the middle of things. Very good food with interesting menu and wine list. Helpful staff. Reservations a must. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the visitPaolaDined on 9/26/2014The food is delicious. Good service and ambiance. I arrived to the restaurant punctual and didn't have to wait for my table. I had a reservation that was respect. I think the only but is that you have to do a reservation with long time in advance. I made mine one month prior to my visit.Special Features:
- Weekend in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Visited Balthazar on a recommendation during a weekend break in NYC. Great restaurant with lively atmosphere and wonderful French style bistro menu. Everything about this place was great and I will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!NYCrepeatDined on 9/26/2014The atmosphere is vibrant and the food is amazing. Worth every penny. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Brunch experience!lovelattes2Dined on 9/26/2014The staff at Balthazar was friendly and accommodating from the moment we were greeted at this vibrant establishment. We visited for brunch on a Friday morning, and the place was packed! Busy as it was the service was fast and very friendly. We received our plates within minutes of ordering. I had the brioche french toast, and my friend had the scrambled eggs in puff pastry. We each ordered the latte bowl which was a little meal in itself! All were delicious and served hot. The ambiance is warm and energetic with a busy little bakery on the side worth checking out for treats to go. This was the perfect place to start our day of shopping in SoHo! Reservations recommended.Special Features:
- just Excellentcamel18Dined on 9/25/2014Just want to give you a 10!!!!!!Everything was jus 10! As Belgium from origin I know why I give a 10!!Special Features: