80 Spring Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.balthazarny.com/
- Phone: 2129651414
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:30am
Continental Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 10:00am
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:30am, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
Late Supper: Friday - Saturday: 12:00am - 1:30am, Sunday: 11:00pm - 12:30am
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Shane McBride
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Crosby
- Public Transit: Take the R or W to Prince Street, walk one block south to Spring & one block east to Crosby. Or take the 6 to Spring Street & walk one block west to Crosby. You can also take the F or V to Broadway/ Lafayette & walk two blocks south on Broadway & make a left on Spring.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking garage on Prince & Crosby.
A word from Balthazar
Balthazar is a traditional French Brasserie with a bustling railway station atmosphere. Our kitchen serves a variety of meat and poultry dishes including: Duck Shepherds Pie, Roasted Chicken and Steak Frites. Balthazar specializes in seafood with an array of fish entrees and a complete raw oyster and shellfish bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Balthazar - Best Restaurants in SoHo ›
Balthazar reviews from OpenTable diners
655 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (283)great for brunch (259)fit for foodies (258)hot spot (235)special occasion (213)neighborhood gem (209)good for groups (135)romantic (124)notable wine list (110)vibrant bar scene (108)late-night find (79)kid-friendly (63)great for outdoor dining (23)scenic view (8)Show More
- Weekend in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Visited Balthazar on a recommendation during a weekend break in NYC. Great restaurant with lively atmosphere and wonderful French style bistro menu. Everything about this place was great and I will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Brunch experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The staff at Balthazar was friendly and accommodating from the moment we were greeted at this vibrant establishment. We visited for brunch on a Friday morning, and the place was packed! Busy as it was the service was fast and very friendly. We received our plates within minutes of ordering. I had the brioche french toast, and my friend had the scrambled eggs in puff pastry. We each ordered the latte bowl which was a little meal in itself! All were delicious and served hot. The ambiance is warm and energetic with a busy little bakery on the side worth checking out for treats to go. This was the perfect place to start our day of shopping in SoHo! Reservations recommended.Special Features:
- Excellent but....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014This is a happening lunch and dinner spot, great food, nice wine list, good service very busy and somewhat noisy but lots of fun if it wasn't for the maitre d' who behaves like a stuck up and arrogant individual, unapproachable and most unpleasant. Apart for his behaviour the place would be fantastic, just a shame he is the first impression of a great place.Special Features:
- High powered Bistro!DaneEatNicknamesDined on 9/23/2014This place was amazing - the energy in the room when walking in from the warm outside. You are met with servicepersonnel and tables and chairs and the nice temperture. The smell of this place is one of a kind. Being seated, the tables are very close to your neighbour, and see what they have if you need help choosing from the french menu. I got the Bernaisses and the best piece of meat I have had in a looong time! The wines range from good to "I-believe-this-must-be-amazing-when-I-look-at-the-price" - We started out with champagne and had a wonderful Pinot Noir with the mains. Go here and enjoy it - it is more than your average regular restaurant, but what a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC friend reccomendationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/23/2014Was highly reccomended and it was worth every penny. A good SoHo vibe and great food! Love the Little Neck clams!Special Features:
- Unmissable RestaurantEnglishFoodiesDined on 9/23/2014All I can say our main holiday destination was Vegas, but we arranged three days in New York on the way home so we could re visit this superb restaurant. I cannot praise this establishment enough ambience food and drink outstanding. I must also praise your staff they are so attentive and appear to love their jobs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014Food value and price not corresponding......................................Special Features:
- Foodie57Dined on 9/22/2014Food was very good but not worth the price. Service was not great and table was very cramped
- Love It.RyanDined on 9/22/2014We had breakfast on the 1st day and lunch on the 3rd day of our 5 day vacation....everything was excellent.Special Features:
- Service and reservationCarolsDined on 9/21/2014Charlotte, the waitress who was responsible for our table Last sunday was outstanding, very kind, skilled and qualified. She could also speak Portuguese, a huge ability to make Brazilian clients feel welcome. I and My boyfriend fere very pleased by her service. Regarding the reservation, there is a room for improvement. It took me 30 min to get a table even having taken a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still fabulousKG2039Dined on 9/21/2014I have been coming to New York for the last 15 years. Balthazar never fails to impress and satisfy as a great New York experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited Brunch MenukpmeemersDined on 9/20/2014The Saturday brunch menu seemed unusually limited. However my food order was amazing. I ordered the poached eggs w/ spinach and bechemel sauce. Nice strong coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- big kbigkDined on 9/20/2014Like stepping into an authentic French bistro in Paris. A MUST if you are in SoHo! Try the grilled brook trout for brunch - simply fabulous. Or sip a lovely cup of cafe au laid from a bowl and enjoy the homemade donuts. Pricey, but worth it - great ambiance, food and service. And, a special bonus… the best restroom of any restaurant anywhere!Special Features:
- Totally unimpressive.LovenyrestaurantsDined on 9/20/2014Bad service. Cramped space. Messed up the simplest of orders. Dirty cutlery. Doesn't come close to its reputation.
- Soho GemCerffamilyfoodieDined on 9/19/2014This place never disappoints! Must have a reservation, do not expect to walk in and get a table. The French Onion Soup prompted me to buy the cookbook and I was able to recreate this amazing soup! Our last visit was for a late breakfast, the quiche was incredible!Special Features:
- We have been warmly welcomed.BaEDo115Dined on 9/18/2014Good service and good food. The service has been quick but the dishes have been served in a good timing. The waiters knew alredy who ordered the dishes without asking each time, we appreciated the attention to the client in this sense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatsolvezDined on 9/18/2014This restaurant never disappoints. great place to have lunch, may be a bit loud at times, however the experience is always positive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014I informed Balthazar that it was my husbands birthday the day we were coming for breakfast/brunch. After we were finished with our meal, our waitress brought our a breakfast pastry with a candle in it! It was a wonderful unexpected surprise! Thanks Balthazar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect shopping break in SohoTheSwedeDined on 9/17/2014I have been in NYC fifteen times, but this was my first visit to Balthazar. It´s not a must-go-to place if you are here a short time and have a high standard of the food experience or looking for a cosy, relaxing spot. However, if you are out shopping in Soho and want quick service, lively environment, look at people and have a decent lunch then this is the perfect break. Sure, the noise level is very high but hey, there are a lot of tourists talking about their day, recent finds and planning what to do next. Looking at the decor feels like you are in Paris for a while. Even though we were late we got our table quickly, our salads came in fast as well and everything seems to run smoothly. Great when you have a tight schedule!Special Features:
- Throwback goodJimrunredDined on 9/17/2014If there is such a thing as upscale French comfort food. This is it It feels lik a real bistroSpecial Features:
- Lives up to the hypeKiwisinMexicoDined on 9/16/2014It can sometimes be a bit disappointing visting a restaurant that is an instition because the allure of it reputation and the hype of previous reviews leaves little for you to discover. It was already quite crowded at noon when we arrived and the tables are really jammed together but instread of being annoying it added to the vibrant energy of the place. The service was fast and attentive. The menu was full of traditional comfort food favourite that you might expect froom a french brasserie and all the dishes we ordred were delicious. We ordered glasses of wine instead of a bottle and were impressed by the variety and quality that was available by the glass. The bill was on the expensive side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedjavierDined on 9/15/2014We had great expectations but the food was rather medicore in its taste though priced high. We asked for the risoto, foie gras and duck confit, risoto was great, but both the duck confit and the foie gras where very poorly prepared.
- Still a strong recommendationNistrachDined on 9/14/2014We first stumbled upon Balthazar in 2002 by accident and decided we simply had to go back during our latest trip to NYC. It was as good as we remembered it. Buzzing, vibrant, great ambiance and superb food. We booked Sunday brunch weeks in advance of travelling from Scotland and it was just as well given how popular it still is. It's definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- neveragainDined on 9/14/2014tables too tight, had to move table to sit down and get up. Plates were being removed by server with food still on our plates, didnt even ask if we were done yet and I don't appreciate being rushed when I pay that kind of money.Way over priced for what you get, the food was just OK....defintiely not worth the money.
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Best bread basket in the city including chocolate bread. Great choice of egg dishes.Special Features:
- Good but not greatAmD1Dined on 9/13/2014Arriving on a Saturday at 1030pm for an 11pm table the place was buzzing so we were very excited sadly the food and service did not live up to the atmosphere. My cod and wife's tuna were overcooked. The portions were massive but we would have preferred better cooked smaller portions. We didn't eat dessert. They didn't have my first choice wine which was a bottle of Mersault so we opted for a bottle of champagne which we had to pour on more than 1 occasion. If I am paying 140 dollars for a bottle I don't want to pour it. The tip would have been far greater if the service matched the atmosphere. If anyone reading this is English I would best describe the restaurant as a mock Café Rouge.Special Features:
- Great service, gorgeous surroundingRobbieDined on 9/12/2014I went to Balthazar for the first time. The service was outstanding, and the food was lovely. I had the kale fetuccine. It was a little tart, but that could be my personal tastebuds. The creme brule`, TO DIE FOR! Our waitress was lovely, knew all her specials and made us feel very looked after. The design of this restaurant makes you feel as though you've been taken away to the 1920s in the middle of France. Gorgeous.Special Features:
- FantásticoFran10Dined on 9/11/2014Gran ambiente, comida y inmejorable servicio, el lugar tiene un muy ambientado bar y el restaurant, a pesar de las mesas muy juntas, es muy agradable.Special Features:
- ClassicJP4funDined on 9/11/2014We never miss going to Balthazars when visiting NYC. Never been disappointed. Love the atmosphere, food, and service.Special Features:
- Loud, crowded and hotjiffypopVIPDined on 9/11/2014Even though it's been on the scene for awhile, Balthazar is still a scene. Went for lunch on a Thursday and it was packed. Service was rushed and not very attentive. The atmosphere was loud, hot and crowded. And foodwise, nothing exceptional in a city of exceptional food.Special Features:
- Lunch at BalthazarHeatherBLDined on 9/11/2014Walking into this place brought me back to a Paris brasserie so they have nailed the environment. The food was good to very good but for what you got- it is a little over-priced. It is Soho- so the clientele is a little on the pretentious side, which can be entertaining. Overall, I like the place but I am not sure I will go back. There are plenty other French Bistro/Brasseries in the are to try.Special Features:
- MariaDined on 9/10/2014Bom ambiente. Serviço muito bom e simpático. Óptima cozinha. Tudo excelente. É para recomendar e repetir.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely time solo dinerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014I know people that have worked here, not that the staff knew this but it has been mentioned by so many that it felt like a 'must'. It was 'old world' structured and well executed service. Food was without fault and I heard another older couple leaving raving about the 'naughty' food they'd had, that they wouldn't normal and it was the best they'd ever had, very cute. Casual feel but also special. Thank you for a lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Great service and food! Paul Bettany was great and the ambiance was lively.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014I am from Europe and loved the French Bistro feel. As authentic as they come in America.Special Features:
- Not as good as it wasvallikestoeatVIPDined on 9/9/2014Someone in the kitchen has lost their sense of taste and gone wayyyy overboard with the salt shaker. Almost inedible. Bland vinaigrette this time. Worst meal I've ever had there. Funny how it's still hard to get in. Must be all tourists or bridge and tunnels.Special Features:
- GoodNicoDined on 9/9/2014Good as usual but really close to be a chain restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coffeecoffeeDined on 9/8/2014nice place and nice service... good quality of food.... espresso coffee could be improvedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsat54Dined on 9/7/2014Although it does seem to be getting pricier and more trendy (mr and mrs Victoria "posh spice" Adams drew the paparazzi while we were there) it just never grows old as a food and dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't be beaten!Mara28Dined on 9/7/2014I came in with a group of four for sunday brunch, needless to say our experience here was fantastic. The wait staff were very attentive and service was impeccable, the food was delicious! I had a fruit salad and brioche french toast to follow, big sizes (I didn't realize how big they would be at the time!) so come with an empty belly and a big appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.