Ballou's Restaurant & Wine Bar - Branford
2 Sybil Avenue
Branford, CT 06405Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Ballou's Restaurant & Wine Bar - Branford
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ballouswinebar.com/
- Phone: (203) 208-1701
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Wednesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue, European, Italian
- Executive Chef: Steven Kaye Sr
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: We have music at our Guilford location every Friday and Saturday from 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM.
- Cross Street: Linden St
- Public Transit: Both locations are within a mile of the train station. Taxi is available (203)506-8294
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Guilford has plenty of parking in the back lot and on the street by the Historic Green. Branford has it's own parking lot. After six we have additional parking at Bud's Fish Market next door.
A word from Ballou's Restaurant & Wine Bar - Branford
Ballou's is a European style restaurant with a casual and friendly atmosphere. We have more than 80 wines by the glass and world wide beers. Our food is made with "LOVE" we roast our own Pulled Pork fro 9 hours. Our beef brisket and stuffed pork loin are delicious. We have unique salads and pasta dishes. We bake each flat bread pizza for you. Our Lobster Mac and Cheese is decadent. Try a Cheese plate or FONDUE to start your meal. Our shrimp cocktail comes with six large shrimp and our own cocktail sauce. Crab cakes are made fresh and like our other foods from our own recipes. Our desserts are also made on premiss such as Mudslide Brownies, Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie, hand made Chocolate Truffles. ** Alexandr's Tea Room located at our Branford Ballou's. This is a British style Tea Room serving Afternoon Tea. Select from twenty five steeped teas. We have fresh baked Scones with double cream and jam. Sandwiches like Fig Jam and Prosciutto, Cucumber and dill Cream Cheese and more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ballou's Restaurant & Wine Bar - Branford reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (7)great for outdoor dining (5)romantic (3)special occasion (3)great for lunch (3)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)fit for foodies (1)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Above and BeyondgavinsoutDined on 10/18/2014Being "wowed" by any business these days is a rare event. My first experience with Ballou's was a big WOW. They had taken my online 'request' for a very special table to be set up a certain way...so that when my beautiful date and I arrived, it was a very unique and romantic table. They fulfilled my request to my surprise! Amazing. Above and beyond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great resturantluvtoeatDined on 10/11/2014me and my wife enjoyed or 3 wedding anniversary with a smile on our faces and great food love to tell others about placeSpecial Features:
- nice meal but poor serviceLoveToEatoutDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I have enjoyed Ballou's in Guilford and Branford for years but recently the service in the Branford location has plummeted. This week our server had too many tables and knew nothing about the menu or wines. When I asked for the the Brie cheese plate, she said "What number, hon". It felt like I was in a diner more than a wine bar. Still love the good food, good wine and terrific outdoor patio.Special Features:
- Mediocre at bestMinniectVIPDined on 8/12/2014Menu consists of mostly pasta. Only 2 non pasta entrees on the menu. I ordered a summer lobster and shrimp salad. The shrimp were slimy.Special Features:
- DavidDaveVIPDined on 7/26/2014This is a wine & beer bar with some food to accompany the wine or beer Not to be considered as a full restaurant OpenTable's star rating was greatly exaggerated
- disappointment..Eatwell712Dined on 7/26/2014My husband and I came here the other night and left feeling very dissatisfied. We ordered the hummus platter as an appetizer and it was a huge disappointment. The hummus platter consisted of a big bowl of hummus, maybe a quarter cup of carrots that didn't taste fresh and some dry cut up pita. I mean, when I think of a hummus platter I imagine an array of fresh veggies including carrots, celery, cucumber, peppers and some toasted, well seasoned pita chips... This was anything but. My husband ordered some kind of cheese crisp appetizer that he was expecting to be freshly baked and deliscious. Well what was served to him looked and tasted liked stale crackers out of a box that came with a strange tasting wasbi dipping sauce.Special Features:
- The following 14 reviews are from the Ballou's Restaurant & Wine Bar - Branford reviews archive.
- From out of townFabat50Dined on 7/21/2014Was dining from out of town on business, found the restaurant on Open Table. The wine flights were wonderful. Enjoyed the restaurantSpecial Features:
- Sorry, but DissapointedantiquetravlerVIPDined on 7/8/2014I know how hard the restaurant business is so I will be as kind as I can. There were only two waitresses, no bus person. Wine list was excellent by the glass. Food quality was lacking and not flavorful. The ceviche was crab and shrimp pre cooked without lime juice or heat so technically not ceviche. The crab cakes were good and fresh, the pasta dishes were over sauced. All in all not a great experience.
- Ballou'sSamosVIPDined on 7/3/2014Enjoyed our dining experience at Ballou's. Extensive wine selection that can be sampled by flights. Nice options for appetizers and cheeses as well as fondues to pair with your wine. Crab cake appetizer was delicious although there were several bones in it, which made for very slow eating.Chewing each bite carefully after that. Ravioli dish with gorgonzola was very good. Lobster roll was quite good served on a panini roll, and with a nice green salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buggy & not appealingAndreaDined on 6/8/2014We sat outside bear a creek & as the sun set little bats attacked; we had to move. The food was edible, but nit appealing. Rhere was too mich sauce on pasta or dressing on salad. Plus, all there fish was either out if a can ir farm raised. Their sangria had soda in it, yikes!Special Features:
- Fun night w the girlsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014We ate outside. Had flights of wine and wonderful appetizer and dessert fondue. Renee our server was attentive and patient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed..MoniDined on 5/15/2014Staff was very knowledgeable one the wines. Very friendly, made us feel like we were at home. The fondue was very tasty as were the panini's we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon teamoosedomeVIPDined on 5/9/2014This was a little treat after a busy day.. We had a living social voucher or we wouldn't have known about Alexandra's Tea Room. We had little sandwiches, scones and sweets and a large pot of good tea each. The waitress was very friendly and helpful. The only complaint was that we were told a wine cocktail was included in the voucher and then we were charged for them without comment.Special Features:
- birthday9Dined on 5/2/2014our food was fabulous and our waitress was the most knowledgeable exceptionally great in every way.Special Features:
- Nice BarMsmilesDined on 4/21/2014This is a great please to have a business lunch or diner. It has a sophisticated feel to it without feeling condescending. Great Food, wine and excellent service. Even though me and my date closed the bar out, we were never rushed, nor bothered in our conversation.Special Features:
- Quiet but trendyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014Server was very knowledgeable about wine list and super friendly. Food was delicious. Def a repeat visit coming soon.Special Features:
- Many items can be shared bybeachgirlDined on 4/11/2014Many items can be shared by 2 or more.Especially the cheese plates & the fondue was more than enough for 2, could be shared by 3-4 people. All people in my party of 4 enjoyed their 3 course meal during restaurant weekSpecial Features:
- Restaurant WeekQuellDined on 4/7/2014We visited for Branford Restaurant Week. The restaurant was basically dead on a Monday night so we should have had stellar service, but did not. The appetizers, entrees, and desserts were amazing and worthy of a second trip in the future. I just hope the service is better next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerMilb112Dined on 3/29/2014We decided to go to this restaurant because I love dessert fondue. We knew it was a wine bar too but we were not expecting to be looked at like we had two heads for ordering soda. We don't drink wine but if you do go to this restaurant. We decided to try something new by going here and it wasn't very good. The food was not great. The service was nothing spectacular. It almost seemed as though our waitress was ignoring us because we didn't order wine. Although she did take off my husbands beer because it was absolutely gross. My husband loves beer but this one even he wouldn't drink. After looking around at the other diners, none we're having meals like my husband and I, they were drinking wine and either having cheese or dessert fondue.Special Features:
- Great food at a moderate price.OptironDined on 3/16/2014We had a St Patrick's Day Dinner for 2 at a pre fix price. We left there with our stomachs totally satisfied. For desert we had their Nutella fondue it was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.