691 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.balkanikany.com/
- Phone: (212) 974-0300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Eastern European, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Party Trays: Pickup and Delivery
A word from Balkanika
Specializing in Balkan & Mediterranean Foods, Wines, and Beers, Balkanika offers a little bit of the old and the new:creative tapas spreads and healthy vegetarian & vegan dishes, hearty old-world recipes, bureks & kebabs, home-made yogurt and some unique creations besides. Enjoy a glass of wine by candlelight, or grab a sandwich and meze spreads to take out. Party Trays are available, as well as Private Parties, International Groceries, Gourmet Coffee Beans, Imported Meats & Cheeses.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Balkanika reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (6)great for lunch (6)late-night find (5)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (2)romantic (2)Show More
- Excellent food, great service! Will go back again!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2014Excellent food, great service! Will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!RezaVIPDined on 11/14/2014Great food! nice people and place. Meat lovers' heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/9/2014Enjoyable, Zuccini Pancakes were to die for... Had the spinach in puff pastry which was also excellent. The six Mesa order was plenty of food, couldn't imagine eating any more...Special Features:
- unusual treatSueZDined on 11/9/2014I took my mother and my son. Staff was very accommodating and knowledgeable. They let us linger. Great wine suggestions from the waitress. The bureks were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 7 course tasting with wine pairingOccasionalfoodieVIPDined on 11/7/2014Was phenomenal! Definitely didn't skimp on the food OR the wine! I would definitely recommend it. They were also very conscious about my food allergies :) it's a fairly small place so I wouldn't bring a group of friends, but I would definitely recommend for a date!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Balkan BeautyCeeBeeVIPDined on 11/7/2014The combination appetizers were tasty with a nice portion of pita to partake. Although the menu items all sounded great, we went with the Salmon and it was wonderfully prepared. We were satisfied with the portions, preparations and wine offerings. A nice find. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and deliciouscz17VIPDined on 11/1/2014Friendly service, and good, well-made food. Generous portions. A nice pre-theatre neighborhood restaurant choice.Special Features:
- Interesting menuSteveVIPDined on 11/1/2014Nice variety of meat and non-meat South-Eastern European dishes. I thought it was excellent and waiters a real help in ordering something new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in NYCRonRDined on 10/25/2014Great service and fantastic Boreks!!! The food variety was amazing and colorful,Special Features:
- ImprovedgregVIPDined on 10/9/2014The restaurant was good in the past, but has recently changed its menu and is even better. It is highly recommended.
- Mediterranean foodCatchowDined on 9/29/2014Good mix of Eastern European/Mediterranean food. Meats are succulent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Balkan food at its finestPetarDined on 9/19/2014The food is really tasty, and since I'm coming from the Balkans, trust me on this :) The staff is really kind, I was just missing the music since it was Friday. So better check online before you book, cuz they usually have very nice bands. Also they have great wines from the region. You must try Macedonian Syriah, a red wine. It's amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aaaaVIPDined on 9/4/2014never tell dinners who arrive that they need to be out by 11pm. that waitress needs some serious training and learn to serve wine.
- Authentic FlareOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2014Our server was from Macedonia, the young lady that made our drinks was from Slovakia, and a young man that assisted our server was from Croatia (I believe). My point is the people that work at this restaurant are from the countries representative of the food they serve. It's hard to get that level of authenticity without traveling to Europe and it shows in the atmosphere, style, and excellent taste of the food. If I am ever back in "The City", Balkanika will be a must re-visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was really bland and averageOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/31/2014So so restaurant - good value but there's a reason why!
- We had a great timegrunzeDined on 8/9/2014Our group of 4 shared the sampler of mezes and starters, with a big salad. It was nice to be able to sample so many different items.Special Features:
- okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Flavors were good, service was slow. I had a living social voucher which included wine but the portions were small. Overall it was ok, not bad, but I won't go out of my way to come back.Special Features:
- terrible servicezfloVIPDined on 7/28/2014took 2 hours for 4 of my "seven course" tasting menu to arrive. way too busy for only 2 waiters. terrible value and terrible service. we left before the 5th course came out.
- The following 151 reviews are from the Balkanika reviews archive.
- Food was on another levelMileDined on 7/25/2014I came here with a large group of people after hearing plenty of good things about the restaurant, and it lived up to the hype. The food came out on time and was absolutely delicious, the wines and liquors were fantastic and authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 9th Avenue Find1njgalVIPDined on 7/6/2014I was given a seven course wine tasting dinner for two as a birthday gift….what a lovely idea! Each course had an accompanying wine to savor the taste of what you were eating. Since I do not eat meat, I substituted some of the courses…the only thing i did not enjoy were the grape leaves filled with rice…too astringent tasting. Everything els was great….slow service to enjoy each course…what a nice experience. We did not have to select from the menu so it was relaxing and enjoyable. Great idea for something different….well located in the theater district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vegetarian OptionsnotafoodieVIPDined on 6/29/2014I had been wanting to try this place out for a while and am glad to finally have gotten the chance to do so. Really like the wide selection of mezes and appetizers, especially vegetarian ones. Great mix of Mediterranean - Balkan food. Portions are a little small compared to other places, but it's perfect for a light evening dinner with wine. I recommend for a casual yet classy evening out with some friends. The place is small so I would recommend smaller groups of 4-6 people at max.Special Features:
- Friendly and fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/21/2014Great Balkan food. Flavorful and varied. Plentiful portions like in the old country. Lovely wait staff. I had only been there in the winter and sat in the back before. This time we reserved a street side table, the restaurant was full. The ambiance was Relaxed and festive.Special Features:
- Good experienceJuanitaG8Dined on 5/31/2014I'd never been to a Balkan restaurant. The appetizers weren't very interesting, but the shopska salad was super fresh and bureks were yummy. I was disappointed that they don't make their own pita.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only 2 waiters!MoosieDined on 5/25/2014Nice food but not enough staff. Waitresses did there best but they needed help!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good hummusEatieVIPDined on 5/24/2014Had a late night snack. Everything was seasoned well would definitely go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousQuincy123Dined on 5/24/2014I ate the salad with beets and it was absolutely delicious! And everyone who I was with enjoyed their meals as well. Very reasonably priced too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth IthopedforbetterDined on 5/14/2014The food was nothing exciting, I had Mediterranean food at a little spot the day before that was amazing and not overpriced. (this was a prix fix) but I noticed the prices. The waitress was very cold as if she were annoyed by our presence and a couple of the dishes were beyond salty. We were all still very hungry afterwards and went out for pizza. I was very disappointed. The restaurant music was so loud it felt like we were yelling and there was one couple that kept letting their kid run around inside.
- Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014The scene of the restaurant was perfect for Mother's day. On such a beautiful day it was perfect to have an open view to outside. Plus the music was great for the day playing old school soul from Marvin Gaye to The Temptations it was perfect. I wonder is that always the music choice or just on occasions. The atmosphere was great and the waiter was swift and very polite. They was only one at the time and you wouldn't even notice because she was on point and very relaxed and charming. I really appreciate what a great day we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veg heavenLoveFishVIPDined on 5/10/2014I lean toward plant based food and lots of friends are vegetarian so this was the perfect choice, something for everyone including the one meat eater. The mezze offerings far exceed other Mediterranean restaurants, and I loved my spinach cheese borek. Do not miss the largest mezze you and your dining partners can handle, and the bread was whole wheat and warm.Special Features:
- Balkan food, who knew?AnnieGNYCVIPDined on 5/8/2014I have to admit...I didn't have a clue about Balkan food. But, Balkanika is in the neighborhood and it had some really good reviews. A group of friends met there for dinner last week and we tried a little bit of everything on the menu. All of us agreed we would go back again soon. The food (a lot of amazing meat dishes...so, FYI if you are looking for vegetarian delights...may not be for you) was really delicious. We also tried several bottles of wine from Macedonia. Again, who knew? It was fantastic and reasonably priced. We let our server be our guide and she did an excellent job with each and every recommendation. Balkanika - what a lovely surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Zucchini PancakesFoodieVIPDined on 5/3/2014The food was good zucchini pancakes were awesome. They had many varieties of hummus which could taste better, but overall you cab try this place..Special Features:
- Balkan food that sings HandMadeMericVIPDined on 5/2/2014This place is a gem..we stumbled in several years ago and have been going out of our way to get here every chance we get..only wish they had a location on U.E.S...hand made Borekas like my grandma used to make..great yogurt and hand crafted dips and spreads ..very Greek, Turkish..Croatian.Bulgarian feel to the food..music on Saturday night..great for lunch or dinner..small space..but always welcoming. Hope it stays here forever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dekicious!SBSreviewsDined on 4/26/2014Each of the four members of our party ordered something different and thought that the food was delicious. I would definitely return to this restaurant. Close proximity to our theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/22/2014The assorted appetizers were uniformly disappointing. The avocado dip had turned that lovely shade of olive green, the carrot dip much too sweet and the others undistinguished. The chicken shish was not bad, but their specialty bourek was greasy and stale tasting. There must be better places for a quick pre theater dinner.
- Balkan foodExBeretVIPDined on 4/16/2014Not the absolute finest in Mediterranean food....but a great place for the price.Special Features:
- Midtown surpriseanotheronebitesthedustVIPDined on 4/3/2014Location is Out of my comfort zone. But the food marked it worth it. Fabulous display upon entry Great mezes. Tasting plates give a sampling of the wide variety. Tasty dishes. The lamb skewer was dry and tough. Definitely a keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort FoodIVU7VIPDined on 4/2/2014Pre-theater bite to eat. Had some starters, zuccini pancakes, and potato pie. Comfort food that was pricey. Feels old, but fine for a happy hour wine (wines from Macedonia, Turkey, Italy, etc.). Fine for quick meal, easy food, change of pace wine.
- Pleasant, affordable and differentlongswimDined on 3/29/2014Chose Balkanika because it had good reviews and was reasonably priced. It is listed on Open Table as Mediterranean style food. However, it is more as its name suggests, Balkan style food. Actually it was a treat. I have never had Balkan food. Everything was tasty. The service was very good. The ambiance was warm and welcoming. Best part was it was affordable. I would eat at Balkanika again.Special Features:
- RecommendedTerenzioDined on 3/29/2014Excellent food even for veggies. Friendly staff who could converse in Serbian.Special Features:
- Good food and great service.SKim1128Dined on 3/29/2014Good food and great service. The prefix lunch menu with wine pairing was a good deal. would recommend this place to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.