691 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.balkanikany.com/
- Phone: 2129740300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Eastern European, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Party Trays: Pickup and Delivery
A word from Balkanika
Specializing in Balkan & Mediterranean Foods, Wines, and Beers, Balkanika offers a little bit of the old and the new:creative tapas spreads and healthy vegetarian & vegan dishes, hearty old-world recipes, bureks & kebabs, home-made yogurt and some unique creations besides. Enjoy a glass of wine by candlelight, or grab a sandwich and meze spreads to take out. Party Trays are available, as well as Private Parties, International Groceries, Gourmet Coffee Beans, Imported Meats & Cheeses.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Balkanika reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)notable wine list (12)good for groups (12)great for lunch (12)fit for foodies (10)romantic (10)great for brunch (8)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (2)special occasion (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- We had a great timegrunzeDined on 8/9/2014Our group of 4 shared the sampler of mezes and starters, with a big salad. It was nice to be able to sample so many different items.Special Features:
- okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Flavors were good, service was slow. I had a living social voucher which included wine but the portions were small. Overall it was ok, not bad, but I won't go out of my way to come back.Special Features:
- terrible servicezfloVIPDined on 7/28/2014took 2 hours for 4 of my "seven course" tasting menu to arrive. way too busy for only 2 waiters. terrible value and terrible service. we left before the 5th course came out.
- Food was on another levelMileDined on 7/25/2014I came here with a large group of people after hearing plenty of good things about the restaurant, and it lived up to the hype. The food came out on time and was absolutely delicious, the wines and liquors were fantastic and authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 9th Avenue Find1njgalVIPDined on 7/6/2014I was given a seven course wine tasting dinner for two as a birthday gift….what a lovely idea! Each course had an accompanying wine to savor the taste of what you were eating. Since I do not eat meat, I substituted some of the courses…the only thing i did not enjoy were the grape leaves filled with rice…too astringent tasting. Everything els was great….slow service to enjoy each course…what a nice experience. We did not have to select from the menu so it was relaxing and enjoyable. Great idea for something different….well located in the theater district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vegetarian OptionsnotafoodieVIPDined on 6/29/2014I had been wanting to try this place out for a while and am glad to finally have gotten the chance to do so. Really like the wide selection of mezes and appetizers, especially vegetarian ones. Great mix of Mediterranean - Balkan food. Portions are a little small compared to other places, but it's perfect for a light evening dinner with wine. I recommend for a casual yet classy evening out with some friends. The place is small so I would recommend smaller groups of 4-6 people at max.Special Features:
- Friendly and fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2014Great Balkan food. Flavorful and varied. Plentiful portions like in the old country. Lovely wait staff. I had only been there in the winter and sat in the back before. This time we reserved a street side table, the restaurant was full. The ambiance was Relaxed and festive.Special Features:
- Good experienceJuanitaG8Dined on 5/31/2014I'd never been to a Balkan restaurant. The appetizers weren't very interesting, but the shopska salad was super fresh and bureks were yummy. I was disappointed that they don't make their own pita.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only 2 waiters!MoosieDined on 5/25/2014Nice food but not enough staff. Waitresses did there best but they needed help!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good hummusEatieVIPDined on 5/24/2014Had a late night snack. Everything was seasoned well would definitely go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousQuincy123Dined on 5/24/2014I ate the salad with beets and it was absolutely delicious! And everyone who I was with enjoyed their meals as well. Very reasonably priced too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth IthopedforbetterDined on 5/14/2014The food was nothing exciting, I had Mediterranean food at a little spot the day before that was amazing and not overpriced. (this was a prix fix) but I noticed the prices. The waitress was very cold as if she were annoyed by our presence and a couple of the dishes were beyond salty. We were all still very hungry afterwards and went out for pizza. I was very disappointed. The restaurant music was so loud it felt like we were yelling and there was one couple that kept letting their kid run around inside.
- Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014The scene of the restaurant was perfect for Mother's day. On such a beautiful day it was perfect to have an open view to outside. Plus the music was great for the day playing old school soul from Marvin Gaye to The Temptations it was perfect. I wonder is that always the music choice or just on occasions. The atmosphere was great and the waiter was swift and very polite. They was only one at the time and you wouldn't even notice because she was on point and very relaxed and charming. I really appreciate what a great day we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veg heavenLoveFishVIPDined on 5/10/2014I lean toward plant based food and lots of friends are vegetarian so this was the perfect choice, something for everyone including the one meat eater. The mezze offerings far exceed other Mediterranean restaurants, and I loved my spinach cheese borek. Do not miss the largest mezze you and your dining partners can handle, and the bread was whole wheat and warm.Special Features:
- Balkan food, who knew?AnnieGNYCVIPDined on 5/8/2014I have to admit...I didn't have a clue about Balkan food. But, Balkanika is in the neighborhood and it had some really good reviews. A group of friends met there for dinner last week and we tried a little bit of everything on the menu. All of us agreed we would go back again soon. The food (a lot of amazing meat dishes...so, FYI if you are looking for vegetarian delights...may not be for you) was really delicious. We also tried several bottles of wine from Macedonia. Again, who knew? It was fantastic and reasonably priced. We let our server be our guide and she did an excellent job with each and every recommendation. Balkanika - what a lovely surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 139 reviews are from the Balkanika reviews archive.
- Awesome Zucchini PancakesFoodieVIPDined on 5/3/2014The food was good zucchini pancakes were awesome. They had many varieties of hummus which could taste better, but overall you cab try this place..Special Features:
- Balkan food that sings HandMadeMericVIPDined on 5/2/2014This place is a gem..we stumbled in several years ago and have been going out of our way to get here every chance we get..only wish they had a location on U.E.S...hand made Borekas like my grandma used to make..great yogurt and hand crafted dips and spreads ..very Greek, Turkish..Croatian.Bulgarian feel to the food..music on Saturday night..great for lunch or dinner..small space..but always welcoming. Hope it stays here forever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dekicious!SBSreviewsDined on 4/26/2014Each of the four members of our party ordered something different and thought that the food was delicious. I would definitely return to this restaurant. Close proximity to our theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/22/2014The assorted appetizers were uniformly disappointing. The avocado dip had turned that lovely shade of olive green, the carrot dip much too sweet and the others undistinguished. The chicken shish was not bad, but their specialty bourek was greasy and stale tasting. There must be better places for a quick pre theater dinner.
- Balkan foodExBeretVIPDined on 4/16/2014Not the absolute finest in Mediterranean food....but a great place for the price.Special Features:
- Midtown surpriseanotheronebitesthedustVIPDined on 4/3/2014Location is Out of my comfort zone. But the food marked it worth it. Fabulous display upon entry Great mezes. Tasting plates give a sampling of the wide variety. Tasty dishes. The lamb skewer was dry and tough. Definitely a keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort FoodIVU7Dined on 4/2/2014Pre-theater bite to eat. Had some starters, zuccini pancakes, and potato pie. Comfort food that was pricey. Feels old, but fine for a happy hour wine (wines from Macedonia, Turkey, Italy, etc.). Fine for quick meal, easy food, change of pace wine.
- Pleasant, affordable and differentlongswimDined on 3/29/2014Chose Balkanika because it had good reviews and was reasonably priced. It is listed on Open Table as Mediterranean style food. However, it is more as its name suggests, Balkan style food. Actually it was a treat. I have never had Balkan food. Everything was tasty. The service was very good. The ambiance was warm and welcoming. Best part was it was affordable. I would eat at Balkanika again.Special Features:
- RecommendedTerenzioDined on 3/29/2014Excellent food even for veggies. Friendly staff who could converse in Serbian.Special Features:
- Good food and great service.SKim1128Dined on 3/29/2014Good food and great service. The prefix lunch menu with wine pairing was a good deal. would recommend this place to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find near all the theatersPetworthVIPDined on 3/22/2014I love this restaurant. I live in DC but go to NY a lot. This restaurant in typically on my list of places to eat. I have nothing bad on the menu and the service is good, too. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place in the Theater DistrictklussDined on 3/21/2014This is an excellent and reasonably priced restaurant, conveniently located near the Theater District and Times Square. We stared with the selection of assorted Mezzes. This includes about 20 different dips with olives and stuffed grape leaves and they are all delicious, served with warm pita bread. Two people could probably split this as a meal, (maybe with a salad on the side). The portions of the entrees are a very generous size and tasty and well seasoned. We have eaten here several times and it is consistently good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Balkan sceneskopjeDined on 3/19/2014Great food. Warm service. They have picked the most representative dishes and prepared them superbly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go-to spot in theatre districtTygrlVIPDined on 3/19/2014I have been here four times with different friends and all have enjoyed the cuisine. Great spot for a quick pre-theatre meal. On my last visit I had a special cocktail and the cevapcici which was delicious. Prices have gone up so not as inexpensive as before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FreshOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/14/2014Great choices; knowledgable servers and very relaxed. Everything tasted fresh made and looked good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediteranean DelightBklynDonDined on 2/21/2014Good food, good service and vibrant fun environment. What more could you want?Special Features:
- Overall OK. Some issues.DinnerandaPlayDined on 2/21/20141. The menu is difficult to read. Small type-face with low lighting. 2. The soups and entrees were served at the proper (hot) temperature. 3. The salmon (as well as all items we ordered) was fresh 4. When we made the reservation we noted a Special Occasion: Birthday. The staff did nothing, i.e. Did not recognize it in any way. Obviously, staff did not pay attention to what was noted on the reservation, so why bother asking on reservation form?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick Easy MealLGeatsVIPDined on 2/20/2014I stopped here for a quick dinner before a show. I went in by myself, was seated right away. The restaurant was fairly empty but it was early. I ordered different mezze dishes. Some were really good and some flavor profiles were just okay. I wish I had more food to comment on however the service was quick, the wine was good. It is a moderately priced space in the city to have a good meal.Special Features:
- Looking for the former Yugoslavia?BecksterdogDined on 2/18/2014It's in here. Burek, ajvar, mezze, kebabs, croat beer - all very authentic.Special Features:
- no menu's???MonteDined on 2/15/2014We were on time for our reservation, were seated at our reserved table within 5 minutes. We sat for 10. Then 5 minutes more. I finally asked the host if we could please look at some menus. His reply "oh sorry. We ran out of menu's. It will be a few minutes!" WOW ! i had never heard of a restaurant running out of menus before.. maybe the daily special, but not menu's. The food was average. The dips were not very flavorful, and some of them seemed crusty on the top, like they were sitting out for a while. They were also 'OUT OF" a lot of the menu items. Considering the choice of restaurants in NYC, we certainly did not pick the best one!
- Great optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 1/18/2014Three friends and I dined at Balkanika the other night and it will definitely not be the last time. We were amazed at the number of wonderful options for meze, side dishes and meats/cheeses. However, as much as I enjoyed my meal, I do have a couple of complaints. The service is a little disconnected and our waitress disappeared for long stretches of time. It was a relatively busy night, but I'm not so sure that was the root of the problem. Also, I had ordered a plate of six side dishes as my main course and, although I didn't realize it until after I left the restaurant, one item had been omitted. While I didn't leave hungry, it was a sign of carelessness on the part of the kitchen staff and I was charged the price for six sides.Special Features:
- Not that great anymoreMRNYCVIPDined on 1/10/2014This was wonderful when it first opened up, now its just OK, service is just OK, they didn't had a lot of the wines on the list, food was just OK, not wonderful just fine.
- Surprisingly great !BarbaraDined on 12/27/2013Came here for a business meeting with my coworkers and we had a surprisingly great lunch ! Meze Sampler and Mixed grill - Highly recommended ! Will definitely visit again soon !Special Features:
- Good Macedonian restaurantAlexanderVIPDined on 12/25/2013Everything was so tasty that we now want to go to Macedonia just to have more experience with Macedonian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- differentkjdmdVIPDined on 12/21/2013What is Balkans cuisine? A little like Greek or Turkish, but more meat and less fish. Balkainika allows lots of flexibility in what and how much you eat. There are various combinations of small plates, sides, and cheese and meats available, so you can have anything from a full meal to a pre-theater snack here. The mixed grill platter was very good. If you are seated in the back as we were, make sure you have the flashlight app on your phone or you won't be able to read the menu. Generally a good, reasonably priced and different alternative on 9th for pre-theater dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.