Bali Hai Restaurant
2230 Shelter Island Dr
San Diego, CA 92106Neighborhood:
Shelter Island / San Diego Bay
PolynesianPrice: $30 and under
Bali Hai Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.balihairestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6192221181x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3pm,
Sunday Brunch: 9:30-2pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5pm - 9pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5pm - 10pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Polynesian, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Mr. Dion Morales
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private dining 10 to 30.
And 65 to 300.
- Private Party Facilities: Thank you for considering The Bali Hai for your special occasion. The Bali Hai has been a favorite in San Diego for over fifty years. With spectacular views of San Diego Bay and the city skyline, our South Pacific Room and Hawaiian Village are perfect for wedding receptions. Also our unique banquet room the bamboo room, is perfect for rehearsal dinners.
- Private Party Contact: Lauren Batch 6192221181x
A word from Bali Hai Restaurant
Exotic Pacific dining on an enchanted tiki island.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bali Hai Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
249 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (210)special occasion (154)romantic (120)great for outdoor dining (85)good for groups (83)great for brunch (66)fit for foodies (50)neighborhood gem (47)great for lunch (41)kid-friendly (28)vibrant bar scene (26)hot spot (21)late-night find (21)notable wine list (6)Show More
- Great venue for any occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Outdoor or scenic indoor seating available. Menu has varied selection but not overwhelming. Mai Tai's are the specialty, AND THEY ARE STRONG!Special Features:
- Always GreatjksdDined on 9/28/2014Its good that the chef changes up the Buffet table...finding something new or just tweaking what's already there.Special Features:
- Best Brunch in TownsmpaytonDined on 9/28/2014I've been going to Bali Hai for brunch for years, and it never disappoints. The selection changes, but is always quality. This trip, the crab were out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date night!JellybeanDined on 9/27/2014Awesome views, amazing service and food! We were sat outside with beautiful views of the bay and downtown. Sea lions swam by through the entire meal. Our server, Joshua, was very attentive and friendly. We loved everything he recommended. Be warned, the mai tais are pure alcohol, no fruit juice. It was a perfect place to go before our concert at Humphreys. Very relaxing and enjoyable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful experienceAccpDined on 9/26/2014The food tasted like pre made wedding food. Had to return fish, to get an even worst noodle dish. Poor quality!overpricedSpecial Features:
- Nice view but thats it.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014disappointed overral only good thing was the outdoor seating & drink. Waiter service was not good. food quality for price average. Would not go back,would not recommend. We were expecting a lot more for a $230.00. One problem, waiter not very good, no personality, too busy, not informative. The food was average. For price was expecting a lot better food. We ordered medium steak it was overcooked &dry. fish was also dry and not much flavor. It was our first time we were there for son's 21st Birthday we came from Phoenix, expecting a much better experience & very disappointed. We had a better time the next night at Baja Beach Cafe on Pacific Beach. Where server was friendly, informative and the food was priced adequately for the quality.Special Features:
- Another great evening at Bali HaiTasmanVIPDined on 9/26/2014Great food, view and service! Really enjoy this place when I'm in the area.Special Features:
- not impressedcollinsDined on 9/26/2014This was our 3rd visit and 3rd time we were not impressed. It used to be good years ago. Not to mention overpriced!Special Features:
- DisappointedThumbdownDined on 9/26/2014Choosing this restaurant for Restaurant Week, I went in with high expectations especially since the meal was $35 per person. Bali Hai had a menu that looked very appealing. The restaurant week menu had plenty of good options. Unfortunately the best thing that I ate was my pork kula wonton appetizer. My main course was a 8oz steak. For the price of $35 pers person they could have offered maybe a side or two not just a steak. My girlfriend got the sea bass which was recommended. She found a hair in her food. Dessert was probably the second best. Overall I has a disappointing time.Special Features:
- Not our first trip to Bali Hai.Foodjunky2Dined on 9/25/2014The view of the bay, the service and atmosphere will bring us back again and again. The food was not to Bali Hai standard this trip. The salad although fresh was just a little lacking of that something extra. Maybe not dressed enough. The fish was over cooked and dry not flaky. The sirloin was however perfect. Everyone has an off day, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great scenic locationOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/25/2014The location and staff were wonderful. The restaurant week menu not impressive. I had local greens, steamed sea bass and creme brûlée. The salad was okay, the steamed sea bass was presented as three tiny pieces topped with one piece of asparagus spear and one piece carrot as garnish, creme brûlée sugar crust was not done well. Also ordered brussels sprouts with Chinese sausage as a side. It was doused in soy sauce and salty. It is a great location for a romantic date or drinks and appetizers.Special Features:
- Memorablememo2niteDined on 9/24/2014Thank you for the great service! Will come back again.Special Features:
- Great food & great view!Alehrman84Dined on 9/24/2014Lovely view of the boats and city skyline. The seabass was delicious and so was the albacore poke. Will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedslimeaterDined on 9/24/2014I went to Bali Hai for restaurant week and I was all excited at the opportunity to try a new place. The view was awesome and expected to have a wonderful experience. I order the sirloin medium and it was overcooked. Probably the worse steak at a "high end" restaurant I ever had. The waiter failed to advise us that our meals did not have any side items so I had a plate of tough meat and nothing else. The waiter asked us how everything was. When my wife said that it was ok the waiter then left. He did not ask how things could be approved. With that said I did enjoy my salad and the view. Other than that I think this place will be taken off my list of places to eat.Special Features:
- This place was awesomeJesseDined on 9/24/2014This place went beyond my expectations both dinning & customer service experience! Kelly w. Was very pleasant & helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected MoreLwordDined on 9/23/2014The architecture, design and grounds are exceptional. The view to die for. I was really disappointed with my Rice Cracker Crusted Salmon. It was rather bland and it cane with a small sprinkle of edamame in a broth like sauce. I had dined there previously for lunch and was treated by a friend and had remembered it being good. This time I was surprised that there were no sides included with the meal. My plate was rather sparse, an overly large plate with a hunk of salmon in the middle. I felt cheated and I left hungry.Special Features:
- Love the location and service!MsMelissaDined on 9/22/2014Went for restaurant week, I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 course meal. Had the poke to start which was my favorite dish. It was beautifully spiced and plated. The view is stunning! I love the decor of the restaurant. I wish I had known about this place for a wedding celebration. Keep the tres leches on the menu!! By far the best dessert of the three. My main course was good but I felt like it wasn't wow delicious like the rest of the meal. Overall a wonderful experience and excellent location. I hope to be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crizapDined on 9/22/2014Great views, nice service, although slow. We didn't mind waiting, as we were enjoying the views and our company. Quite good appetizers BUT the main dishes were really poor. Fish and meat were extremely dry and overcooked and sides tasteless. I had the Chile Lime Grilled Mahi Mahi with Mango Salsa and Coconut Rice. The mango salsa was just a couple of pieces of dry mango on top of the fish and the rice was just plain white rice, overcooked, with a light coconut hint, not tasty at all. I would not recommend this place for the food. Nice to go and enjoy the views and some appetizers with your drink, but not for a meal.Special Features:
- thehowellsDined on 9/21/2014The view & island ambiance are to die for. The food & drinks are fabulous! A must visit place in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Service and view always outstanding. Delicious food. Favorites were the poke, coconut shrimp, halibut, tres leches cake and 20yr tawny port. Didn't know it was restaurant week and the deal is a steal. World famous Mai Tai!Special Features:
- Brunch was less than mediocre.FoxydvahDined on 9/21/2014Went there for restaurant week Sunday lunch but they only serve brunch for $36 although no where on the site does it specify this. We decided to stay anyway since we were already there. Food was just okay. I paid $75 (for two people) for basically breakfast food, dessert, and champagne.Special Features:
- Best brunch in townjfmcaDined on 9/21/2014Enough said. Wish I could have brunch here everyday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT SERVICEdinebywaterDined on 9/20/2014When I called to make a reservation- I requested a table by the window overlooking the water. There weren't any more available so we took a patio table. I received a call back- saying they had a cancellation for the table we wanted. I was grateful she called because the location really made a difference in our overall experience. The server was very attentive and informative. At the end of the night I knocked over a full drink and was a little upset at my own lack of paying attention. I went to the restroom to wash my hands and when I came back, to my surprise he had brought me a new drink. This made me feel like he cared about my experience at the restaurant. Its the little things like that - that make me say that I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014first time , had reservation seated within minutes of arriving service was great food also ,sat outside enjoyed the viewSpecial Features:
- Service and foodbirdcrazyDined on 9/18/2014Had no trouble with the beautiful outdoor dining, but the when it came to service, it was lacking. We ordered Coffee, appetizer and lunch. Daughter got a Aloha Cob Salad with a 1/4 of avocado, 2 cherry tomatoes (cut in half), 1/4 of a breast of chicken sliced, and the lettuce was brown on the edges. As for service, the server never asked us how was the food. We had to call for a server to let them know they forgot the blue cheese for salad. By the time it arrived, Daughter was almost finished with salad. No person brought around coffee, so I guess no refills, but we did get refills on water. Very disappointed. Hadn't been there in about 35 yrs., not the same hot spot. The view and walk around grounds were beautiful.Special Features:
- SDdinerDined on 9/14/2014Atmosphere was great. Food was ok with fish tasting a little stale and overcooked. Not bad enough to send back but a good kitchen should have noticed. Went there for the view and drinks but expected a little more from the food. Portions were smaller than expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dearest StaffAmazingDined on 9/13/2014We had the most awesome time! From the service to the food to the breath taking view. I made the reservation online asking for a window view and it was fullfilled. The food was to die for. We really had a wonderful time. We will be back! Thank you again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014There were 4 of us and the one that got the steak was happy with his but the Sweet and sour chicken was tasteless and so was another persons dish but I don't remember what it was. We were on vacation . wont be back.
- Excellent view and great foodKh669Dined on 9/13/2014This was our second visit here and the food was great on both occasions. We have dietary restrictions and they were accommodating. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Perfect for dinner before HumphreysdrretireDined on 9/12/2014Bali hai is perfect as the go to restaurant before (or after) a show at Humphrey's. The food is Polynesian and delicious. I had the duck dish with bacon fried rice. My wife had the shrimp appetizer. Both dishes got great reviews. We would definitely recommend this restaurant to our best friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful food and viewtagamotoDined on 9/12/2014Great service and amazing menu. Overlooks the water with plenty of parking. Portions are a good size and full of flavor. Drinks are also amazing. Great prices for such quality selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was hit and mostly missRic1Dined on 9/11/2014Some items were served hot, others cool for our group of 12. The Calamari was almost cold, not good when you eat fried food. Good size portion though. Drinks were priced right, food items a bit expensive, all ala carte. Some fish portions very small, over cooked, just so, so. The worst were the crab cakes, fried dough balls. Small serving for price, not enough crab texture. The peppers were the best. Mai Tai excellent.Special Features:
- PATTIDined on 9/11/2014Your resturant and staff were wonderful. It was our wedding anniversary and the table by the window was awesome and when we arrived the hostesses wished us happy anniversary and that was nice. The staff was thoughtful and they served us a little chocolate dessert for our anniversary. I have already recommended your resturant to alot of our friends. Thanks for making our evening perfect.Special Features:
- luvbhDined on 9/9/2014My meal was fixed the way I requested. When ever I am in San Diego, birthplace, I eat several meal at Bali Hai my favorite restaurant. The staff are always friendly and I feel at home.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch on Terrace > PERFECTHTConsultingDined on 9/7/2014Normally sitting out on the terrace & having Sunday Brunch at Bali Hai is FANTASTIC. This particular day in Sep-2014, it was just TOO HOT so we went inside; it was still HOT sitting next to the glass. The view is really excellent though. The variety of food is abundant...fresh fruit, fresh salads, breakfast classics including Eggs Benedict & waffles & breakfast potatoes & more; chicken & pulled pork & multiple ribs & crabs legs & shrimp & sliced to order roast beef & an omelet bar & fritattas & more; breakfast pastries & more desert items than should be allowed; coffee & ice water, juices (orange, cranberry, apple?) & free flowing champagne (if you are old enough)...take a walk along the water afterwards & enjoy the view & the breeze!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dining & viewdovedevoDined on 9/4/2014We brought two visitors from New York to experience the spectacular view from the Bali Hai. However, we were pleasantly surprised at how good the food was. All four of us had different dishes and it was all delicious. The total experience was outstanding and our friends really enjoyed it. We would highly recommend Bali Hai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly goodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/4/2014I actually wasn't expecting much other than the view, but the food was quite excellent. The brussel sprouts were spectacular. Also had the wok fried bass and halibut. Both were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch date with HubbyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/2/2014Was so excited to try this place out for our 19th Anniversary lunch. Scenic view but the lunch menu was limited and the food was cold. Ordered the tempura fried crab balls, presentation was good but it was cold inside. Shrimp skewers were cold, not cooked all the way. Salmon was tasteless and a bit overcooked. Don't think I will come back except for the view. Tummy didn't feel well after eating here. I suspect the shrimp or crab cakes.Special Features:
- pattyDined on 9/1/2014Gorgeous site. Ahi burger was so-so, tacos were reported to be very good. Service is very good also.. Its proximity to Humphreys and concerts makes it ideal for pre show dinner. View makes up for deficiencies...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch better than Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014If you're going to go, go for lunch instead of dinner. The prices are cheaper and the selection is better.Special Features: