Bali Hai Restaurant
2230 Shelter Island Dr
San Diego, CA 92106Neighborhood:
Shelter Island / San Diego Bay
PolynesianPrice: $30 and under
Bali Hai Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.balihairestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6192221181x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3pm,
Sunday Brunch: 9:30-2pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5pm - 9pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5pm - 10pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Polynesian, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Mr. Dion Morales
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private dining 10 to 30.
And 65 to 300.
- Private Party Facilities: Thank you for considering The Bali Hai for your special occasion. The Bali Hai has been a favorite in San Diego for over fifty years. With spectacular views of San Diego Bay and the city skyline, our South Pacific Room and Hawaiian Village are perfect for wedding receptions. Also our unique banquet room the bamboo room, is perfect for rehearsal dinners.
- Private Party Contact: Lauren Batch 6192221181x
A word from Bali Hai Restaurant
Exotic Pacific dining on an enchanted tiki island.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bali Hai Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
231 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (205)special occasion (157)romantic (111)good for groups (83)great for outdoor dining (75)great for brunch (66)fit for foodies (44)great for lunch (40)neighborhood gem (34)kid-friendly (28)vibrant bar scene (27)hot spot (26)late-night find (18)notable wine list (6)Show More
- Great viewPeteDined on 8/27/2014Incredible view, great service. Mai tai is the bomb.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Came here on our first date and returned for our anniversary. Making a reservation online was so convenient and quick and the comments section allowed me to request a table outside as that is where we sat on our first date. We were running late (as we often do) so we phoned ahead to move the reservation back, twice. Both times the girl that answered the phone was totally pleasant and accommodating. We got sat outside, got great, friendly, prompt service, our food was all amazing and our drinks were delicious. Our server was on point offering dessert and such, and refilling coffee. He even took a picture for us. Will be back for our next one!Special Features:
- Unbeatable sunset bay viewsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014You can't beat the Bali Hai for gorgeous sunset views of the bay! The golden sunlight reflecting off the tall buildings downtown. The brilliant colors on the water as the boats and birds to by. We even saw sea lions surfacing very close by! Josh gave us excellent service and everyone referenced the special occasion we were celebrating. The Mai Tai will knock your socks off. Sourdough bread and calamari were delicious. Generous portions. Fun drink menu. Request a window table, but your best bet to secure one is to call a week in advance.Special Features:
- Fantastic eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014It was our first stay in San Diego and Bali Hai ... it couldn´t be a better start! All people are very friendly and the ambience is wow! Only the food could be a little more hotter and the vegtables could be more coocked. But it was a wonderful evening!Special Features:
- Pat CologneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014The evening for my guests was great. Food , very good, ....but, especially the steamed vegetables! I had intended to write if the chef woukd share his methods. Most that I have experienced are overdone and soggy, or, almost raw....that night they were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Becoming one of our fave placesnyseDined on 8/24/2014Had been here for happy hour several times and decided to try it for brunch. Tasty selections and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Thank you for looking at my suggested opinion and putting us at a window table with a great view. Much appreciatedSpecial Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014We go to the Bali Hai as much as possible, this was another great experience as well. Love the seafood, the hospitality team, and view, and of course the desserts. Always recommend the Bali Hai for an affordable and memorable date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bali Hai - Tikki Classic StyleTillseeUtodineDined on 8/22/2014Pacific Rim food selection. Tuna Poke is our all time favorite. My dish was halibut with papya chutney in a blood orange rendered sauce. Side included fried rice and wok'd vegetables. Great view too.Special Features:
- GumbaDined on 8/22/2014My mother had the stir fry which she said was "very ordinary." I had the sea bass that the waiter recommended and I thought it was very dry and unflavorful. Overall I thought the food was much worse than normal. What saves this place is the location and view. Food really needs to improve. Also, I think the drink menu needs updating. Drinks don't have much flavor--you should go to Roy's in La Jolla and try their mai tai. I think your bar could do a much better job.Special Features:
- Good ExperiencejdbissellesqDined on 8/22/2014This wasn't the first time I've been to Bali Hai, but it was my wife's first experience. We got a seat by the massive windows, and the view of the skyline and bay was great. We were even treated to seeing sea lions play in the water below. The food was adequate. I ordered the ahi tuna and, while it was good, I should have ordered something more substantial. There was about 8 pieces of tuna, and each one was a single bite. Had I known the size of the order, I would have chosen otherwise. The mashed potatoes were perfect; just the right lumpiness. The service was attentive, and we were even given a little complimentary dessert to celebrate my wife's birthday. We'll go back again, and the next time I'll get the steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014While the service was pretty good, the food was average or below. We used to really enjoy the Polynesian menu from many years ago visited often. This experience confirmed our last visit of about five years ago. We do not need to visit any more.
- Excellent RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014I have been coming to and enjoying the Bali Hai Restaurant for more than 50 years, since I was a little kid. First with my parents and sister and now with my own family, wife and son. Everything about the Bali Hai is Magnificent. The Menu, The Drinks, The Service, The Atmosphere, The Cleanliness, The Perfect Location on the bay, and many other great reasons that keep me returning from Los Angeles to enjoy a Superb Dining Experience. The parking is even excellent My Number One Choice for dining in San Diego.Special Features:
- 40th Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014We had a wonderful time for our 40th Anniversary last Sunday the 17th of August. The food was outstanding, the service over the top and of course the view is always one to cherish. Thank you for making our anniversary dinner wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014We enjoyed the food however it was hard to enjoy to the upmost because of the noise level. I have had many fond memories of the original Bali Hai from years gone by and this was the worse visit due to the acoustics. This is probably her third or fourth time since the New Bali Hai has opened and always a lovely sunset and gourmet cuisine. I'm not sure when we return if we will try the Bali Hai again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/16/2014Everything was wonderful and the view is fabulous! My husband and I shared the coconut shrimp appetizer, and I enjoyed them so much that I ordered the same appetizer again plus the kale salad for my entree. The menu has changed since our last visit there about 8 months ago, and we are very pleased with the change. We had a delightful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not thrilled...Luv2dineDined on 8/15/2014My cousin was so excited to go to Bali Hai for dinner for his birthday. Being from the Midwest, he wanted something exciting. Ambience was great. Drinks were pretty good. Food was delicious, entrees and dessert. My steak was a little under but the server never returned to our table until we were both finished with entrees. Pretty disappointing.Special Features:
- Bali-WOW!SeanSpyceeDined on 8/15/2014First of all I never write reviews, but in this case I have to make an exception. When we arrived at the Bali Hai I was blown away at how well maintained they have kept this beautiful building. My girlfriend and I entered in and feel in love with the decor "Tiki". Our server was super energetic and very helpful. We have a specific kind of diet, and Bali Hai was very kind and accommodating. The food was phenomenal and the people that worked there are fantastic. I can honestly say we are looking foward to our next visit at the Bali Hai. Thank you so much for the awesome food, and the great Tiki experience.. MAHALO:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iconic Tiki Restaurant & moreMetikigalDined on 8/14/2014We went to the Bali Hai for it's history in tiki culture. The drinks are super strong but very well made. we were surprised by the quality of the food - it was top notch. The grouper was super fresh, flaky & perfectly cooked. The scallops were delicious. The wok'ed veggies were fantastic. We really enjoyed our night at the Bali Hai. We are already making plans to visit it again on our next trip to San Diego.Special Features:
- food lovergamblerDined on 8/10/2014Great table with a terrific view. Food was excellent. Service was also excellent.Special Features:
- Beautiful viewLove2DineOutDined on 8/10/2014Very romantic and beautiful view! The staff was very friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- 50th Wedding AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Bali Hai has been my favorite restuarant for many years and I wanted to share that with my parents on their special day. We, as in all 6 of us, had a wonderful experience. We were celebrating my parents 50th wedding anniversary. I had reserved a window table and when we got there we were upgraded to the outside end table which could not have been better. Much quieter as well. Our waiter was awesome...informative, prompt, pleasant but not pushy. Food was very good, yummy cocktails. Outside dining is much nicer, weather considered. Thank you!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not like it used to beMarcosDined on 8/3/2014We went to Bali Hai as it has been a favored spot whenever we visit San Diego. The Mai Tai's are excellent; would recommend no more than 2. The food was a big disappointment; we were looking for the Polynesian menu (won tons etc) it was famous for and found the food to be the same you could purchase at any restaurant, but tasted more like a fast food oriental place....the venue itself is beautiful and we sat outside. The service was very good....suggest they go back to their heritage and what they are known for rather than imitate a fast food place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bali Hai = WonderfulJonAnthonyDined on 8/3/2014I am a repeat guest and a island traveler, so I am sold on this dining spot. Whats special about Bali Hai besides the best view in San Diego is the new menu and great taste in all their dishes. I took my son last night and he agrees the food was awesome ! Mentioning the noise levels per the other noted ratings. Yes on a busy weekend night with a full restaurant it can be noisy with happy guests. What do you expect with a full house. Really ask yourself why its so packed and the compromise for the real benefits of Bali Hai will offset this issue. Or come during a slower weeknight as we did on Monday and enjoy a mellow dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 35yearcustomerDined on 8/3/2014Food is now a la carte . If you order the fish, that is ALL you get. Waiter forgot appetizers. Unfortunately this used to be our favorite restaurant for special occasions for over 35 years. We have been back now 5 times since remodel and new menu hoping it will get better and have decided we will not be returning.Special Features:
- Too Noisy and OverpricedMDGDDined on 8/1/2014Service was mediocre and food was overpriced and very bland. View was beautiful but the noise level was so loud you really could not enjoy your dinner. Very disappointing... Will not return!Special Features:
- Food not up to parGregDined on 8/1/2014So over the years I have been coming to Bali Hai, yes over 40 years, several owners. Had wedding, company parties, Non Profit events etc. This food is great looking, and great flavor, but not as good a cut as should be for the location and fair price. Fish was dry good flavor, so small a piece my wife had?, Ribs had a lot of small bones, not common for ribs, but the flavor was great. Shrimp was great, sauce was top drawer, the view is great. So maybe they should taste the food for quality not look, and flavor. So over all great taste, but avoid the ribs unless they fix them, and tell them not dry on the fish.Special Features:
- Service mistakes for party of 9PammDined on 7/28/2014When our food arrived, two people had food set in front of them that was ordered by others at our table and it had to be moved to the right person. One person had a dinner set in front of her that was meant for another table.! When the bill was presented, it was not our bill. Since the total was $100 less than our bill, I should have just paid it and left. But I did ask the waier for the correct bill. We were entertaining guests from out of town. And as always the view was a real WOW.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceWaynegDined on 7/26/2014Great dinner in a beautiful location with incredible views of San Diego bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDinerDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I ordered the bass and grilled chicken dinners with the chocolate tart for dessert. All three were great. The greens salad was so good! Aside from the food, the cocktails are the restaurant's specialty and are a must!Special Features:
- Bali HaiDeeDeeDined on 7/22/2014View is fantastic, good food, very strong Mai Tai. and good sourdough bread from Con Pane. The scallops was excellent and the sweet and sour chicken vegetables and pineapple was fresh and crunchy.Special Features:
- Great View - Too NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014The Bali Hai has one of the best views of San Diego Bay, but it's not enough to overcome the irritating noise levels or the disappointing and overly expensive a' la carte menu. The noise was so bad that I could not hear our server or even have a conversation with my wife who was two feet away. I wonder if management is informing the workers in this restaurant about the real dangers of hearing loss from prolonged exposure to this level of noise or if they are providing adequate hearing protection? Great view, but I don't think we'll be back.Special Features:
- Great view and FoodBradyBoyDined on 7/17/2014Reserving in advance meant that we got a seat next to the window. View was spectacular as we watched the sunset. The food was equally amazing. We got the starter for two with the tuna poke and the spring rolls. The main courses were great as well. The waitress even gave us dessert as we had to wait longer than usual for the food to accommodate a big group. There was also no pressure to leave. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/16/2014We had a great time at Bali Hai. We sat out on the deck--where it was much quieter. Even though we had two children with us, the staff served us with grace and cheer. The food was pretty good. This is a great place for celebrations.Special Features:
- Great ViewCJGJrDined on 7/16/2014We had a wonderful dinner here before attending a concert at Humphrey's. Our window table gave us a nice view of downtown San Diego across the bay. The food was very good, and reasonably priced. The waitstaff was very attentive, and friendly. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Island CharmFiresurfDined on 7/13/2014Bali Hai has a Pacific island atmosphere with excellent food. We had just arrived back from Maui and found the food comparable to the best restaurants on the island with one important exception, they included local fish on the menu that you won't find in Hawaii. We had fresh sheepshead, a very mild white fish that was prepared just right. You can't beat the atmosphere and the food will not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful RestaurantSuziTDined on 7/13/2014Had a romantic evening out with my husband. Had been to Bali Hai about 20 years ago and the food had changed but was very good. The scenic view of downtown San Diego is breath taking and a must see. If you are looking for a romantic night out with an amazing view, this is the spot.Special Features:
- Beautiful view and good foodSurfingAttorneyDined on 7/13/2014It's hard to understand, but most restaurants that have great views sacrifice food quality for the great view. You'd think with huge rent that places would hire a great executive chef. I was pleasantly surprised that the Bali Hai has an amazing view and great food. Gorgeous evening, insane, panoramic views of the bay and downtown San Diego and the food was memorable. Their Mai Tais are STRONG and yummy. Highly recommended. I'll be back!Special Features:
- OverratedDined on 7/13/2014it was hot and crowded, staff seemed disengaged, food wasn't being replenished to keep up with demand, horrible, will not be back.Special Features:
- wayneDined on 7/13/2014great food service and senery. best fish served on mainland usa. clossest to hawaiiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.