Bali Hai Restaurant
2230 Shelter Island Dr
San Diego, CA 92106Neighborhood:
Shelter Island / San Diego Bay
PolynesianPrice: $30 and under
Bali Hai Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.balihairestaurant.com/
- Phone: (619) 222-1181
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3pm,
Sunday Brunch: 9:30-2pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5pm - 9pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5pm - 10pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Polynesian, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Mr. Dion Morales
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private dining 10 to 30.
And 65 to 300.
- Private Party Facilities: Thank you for considering The Bali Hai for your special occasion. The Bali Hai has been a favorite in San Diego for over fifty years. With spectacular views of San Diego Bay and the city skyline, our South Pacific Room and Hawaiian Village are perfect for wedding receptions. Also our unique banquet room the bamboo room, is perfect for rehearsal dinners.
- Private Party Contact: Lauren Batch 6192221181x
A word from Bali Hai Restaurant
Exotic Pacific dining on an enchanted tiki island.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bali Hai Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
216 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (184)special occasion (136)romantic (106)good for groups (82)great for outdoor dining (70)great for brunch (57)neighborhood gem (44)great for lunch (42)fit for foodies (42)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (19)kid-friendly (18)late-night find (18)notable wine list (7)Show More
- NiborDined on 11/18/2014Breathtaking view, excellent service, delicious food. A special San Diego landmark that never disappoints!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Outstanding San Diego ExperienceLargeLeeVIPDined on 11/17/2014The views from Bali Hai of San Diego Bay are spectacular. It would be worth coming here just for that. But the Pacific Island/Asian fusion menu is interesting enough to be a draw on its own. The building is a landmark and contains an interesting collection of art from the Pacific. All these things make Bali Hai a reliable choice to celebrate an event, impress a date, or dazzle a visitor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchKikaGirlDined on 11/16/2014Bali Hai offers a beautiful view of the Sab Diego Bay...plus it was a picture perfect and beautiful SD day to enjoy good food with great company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The View Outshines the FoodJerryPamDined on 11/14/2014One of the better scenic views from a restaurant in San Diego. The food was OK. I had the sirloin medallions and they were very good. My wife had the shrimp and mani-mahi stir-fry and while she liked the fish the sauce was too gingerly for her taste. Unless you have a high tolerance for alcohol, stay away form their signature Mai-Tais: much rum and little mixer. Feeling daring we tried some, but a few sips convinced us we had better switch to something milder (wine). We were pleasantly surprised that we were not charged for these drinks (they were expensive) and for this reason I highly recommend their service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place on the waterJJayDined on 11/13/2014I attended with a party of three. We were able to set outside to have a great night view of the water and city lights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- peavysghostDined on 11/9/2014definitely worth going for the view but - the food was good not greatSpecial Features:
- Wonderful Dining Experience!outandaboutDined on 11/9/2014Loved the Sunday Brunch - food and champagne were excellent. The Bali Hai lends itself nicely to celebrating a special occasion with its spectacular views of the city over the bay. And by special occasion, that could be ANYTHING you choose it to be to celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BrunchMarthaDined on 11/9/2014You will love the brunch as they have a variety of foods to offer from breakfast items to crab legs and the best ceviche I have ever had. Don't skip the deserts as they are heavenly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DoberdameDined on 11/5/2014Bali Hai has good food and great service. The noise level is high but if a patio table can be secured it is perfect. It is one of my favorite places to take out of town guests because of the views, food and service.Special Features:
- Great View, OK Foodads2013Dined on 11/4/2014View is one of the best in town. Slightly disappointed by the food, except for dessert. Great service, great atmosphere, great drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food and ViewGeorgeDined on 11/2/2014Sunday Brunch was outstanding! The roast suckling pig was incredibly delicious and special. Everyone of the salads was memorable. The lemon tarts were worth a repeat visit. It is a small brunch but every dish was tastly. The pho was also delicious and not found on other similar brunch menus. We believe it is one of the finest Brunchs in San Diego!Special Features:
- Not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014Great view but you pay for it. Food is mediocre at bestSpecial Features:
- Adequate food- great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014Pros: drinks are excellent (and strong!). Service was very good (waiter remembered it was my wifes's birthday and brought us a brownie cake with candle). Poke appetizer was really tasty with high quality ahi tuna. Cons: The food was good, but did not quite rise to great. I had the pork chop which was tender, but the sauce didn't add much. The wok'd vegetable were nice. My wife had the halibut. She like it, but again, there wasn't much pizzaz. We would definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- Million Dollar View28october2011Dined on 10/25/2014My husband and I went to celebrate our anniversary and we couldn't have chosen a better place! The food was on point, the service was amazing and the view, phenomenal! We made a reservation online and asked for a window view. Not only did we get the seat we asked for, but they threw in free dessert! We will probably be back next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gorgeous and deliciousWKRPVIPDined on 10/25/2014View is awesome, ambience is fun and relaxed, service is terrific and food is delicious and beautifully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School Tiki meets great viewtigerdogDined on 10/24/2014The Bali Hai has been a San Diego hallmark for longer than even an old dog like me can remember. The food is great, the views of the bay wonderful, the staff friendly and the bar has one of the best selections of world-class sipping rums you're likely to find in the county. A family favorite for special occasions. Worth a try!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014I have to say I was pretty disappointed in Bali Hai. The view was absolutely beautiful but it was so loud in the dining room that I could not tell if my baby, sitting on my lap, was crying or not. It was difficult to have a conversation. The service was great. My grandmother was being kind of picky and the server accommodated her with a smile. I also felt that the food was good but not great, especially for the cost. I had higher expectations for Bali Hai and I felt that it was just ok.Special Features:
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014I was looking forward to something really interesting since it's hawaiian. But the salmon was pretty plain, soaking in a watery liquid, not an interesting sauce. And I did not taste any garlic in the garlic mashed potatoes. Also, I thought it was tacky that the main meal comes with no sides and that you have to purchase them separately.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014I was hosting an out of town family member and it was a great introductory dinner in San Diego. The view is second to none and it was great being able to point out Coronado and Downtown from the convenience of our table.Special Features:
- Terrible foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014I have been coming here for several years and this trip was horrible. The food was cold, dry and tasteless..........
- Great ViewKeclemDined on 10/18/2014Nice location and good for our group. Food was just ok but it others enjoyed their food. Enjoy the views as did our guests.Special Features:
- quanbo2000Dined on 10/18/2014Services are excellent, the bay view is spectacular. Always have a good time every time we come here and the MAITAI is strong and excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful Place For LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014What a nice place to come to for a fabulous lunch with a good friend. The Mai Tai's are great, and the food is outstanding! The chocolate dessert for my birthday was just what I needed! The service was great and our waitress was very friendly. I had a wonderful day at the Bali Hai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetoeatinsdDined on 10/17/2014Strongest Mai Tai I've ever tasted. Service was excellent. Atmosphere totally tropical in a wonderful location. Food was just so-so.Special Features:
- Anniversary Date NightFoodie11Dined on 10/16/2014We had heard good things about Bali Hai and decided to enjoy our wedding anniversary there. When we arrived, the hostess was expecting us and gave us an option for a window or patio table. We chose to sit outside. Knowing it was a special occasion, she arranged for us to have a very private table with an incredible view of the bay. Our waitress was friendly, prompt and respectful. The food was absolutely outstanding and the service was excellent. After bringing us a complimentary dessert for our celebration, we were hooked. This establishment is a top notch restaurant with a very professional and friendly staff who clearly know how to create a fine dining experience. It turned out to be one of the most perfect date nights ever for us !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timergracieDined on 10/12/2014We were a party of 4 and all enjoyed our brunch. I requested a window table so, we arrived early and were seated at a window table right way. The view was beautiful and relaxing. Our server was great. Our drinks were always filled and the table was kept cleared. The food was very good with many yummy choices, especially the ribs. Great place for Sunday Brunch and to share San Diego's beautiful view and food to out of town guests. I look forward to having lunch at this relaxing restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bali Hai date night.etech1Dined on 10/11/2014Book an online reservation and requested a window seat to view the bay at night. Although window seats are sometimes hard to come by, we ended up getting one and had a nice view of the bay as we watched the seals swim around. There was no wait for seats, the server was awesome and the drinks and food came out extremely fast. The ahi tuna was so good and fresh. I had the signature Mai tai and yes its really strong, don't let the small glass fool you, it kreeps up on you about half way through the drink. Dress is anywhere from casual to semi formal. Overall great experience, good place for a date or with a group of friends or family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bali HaiParadiseseekerDined on 10/7/2014The view from the table was outstanding! The tiki cocktails were delicious and strong. I ordered off the vegetarian menu and my friend ordered off the gluten-free menu. They are very accommodating to special diets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere and food!SatisfiedDined on 10/5/2014We had a reservation and our party of 4 was seated outside immediately. Service was quick but not rushed. Waiter removed a knife from my friend's place-setting as he noticed it was dirty! Great food starting with appetizers, salad fresh fish of the day and dessert. Each plate was colorful, tasty and pleasing to the eye and palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bali HaiWayneAZVIPDined on 10/5/2014The restaurant exceeded my expectations. They observed my notes on special requirements and verified that all were met. The view is spectacular, verity of entrée selections and great flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatCleoDined on 10/4/2014Love this restaurant, thank you for the service. My kids loved the restaurant and the food.Special Features:
- Cannot RecommandAlanDined on 10/3/2014There is a lot to like about the restaurant, but the service is unacceptable. For example, when the waiter finally brought our bill he told me that while they usually automatically add a tip for parties of eight, he did not because he recognized the food delivery had been so unreasonably slow. I told him that was not his fault, but when it took him another 15 to 20 minutes to come get the bill to process my card, that was his fault. And, from what I could see, our experience was not unique. And, what is almost ironic, the restaurant asked us to start our reservation a bit early so they would use the table again and then proceeded to drag out our dinner for over 2.5 hours.Special Features:
- Great venue for any occasionericlncDined on 9/28/2014Outdoor or scenic indoor seating available. Menu has varied selection but not overwhelming. Mai Tai's are the specialty, AND THEY ARE STRONG!Special Features:
- Best View in San DiegoWoohoowahineDined on 9/28/2014We've been to Bali Hai Restaurant Many Times and it's always such a treat. Every table has a Great View of The San Diego Bay. Delicious Food, Excellent Service, and The Strongest Mai Tai you will ever have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatjksdDined on 9/28/2014Its good that the chef changes up the Buffet table...finding something new or just tweaking what's already there.Special Features:
- Best Brunch in TownsmpaytonDined on 9/28/2014I've been going to Bali Hai for brunch for years, and it never disappoints. The selection changes, but is always quality. This trip, the crab were out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date night!JellybeanDined on 9/27/2014Awesome views, amazing service and food! We were sat outside with beautiful views of the bay and downtown. Sea lions swam by through the entire meal. Our server, Joshua, was very attentive and friendly. We loved everything he recommended. Be warned, the mai tais are pure alcohol, no fruit juice. It was a perfect place to go before our concert at Humphreys. Very relaxing and enjoyable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful experienceAccpDined on 9/26/2014The food tasted like pre made wedding food. Had to return fish, to get an even worst noodle dish. Poor quality!overpricedSpecial Features:
- Nice view but thats it.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014disappointed overral only good thing was the outdoor seating & drink. Waiter service was not good. food quality for price average. Would not go back,would not recommend. We were expecting a lot more for a $230.00. One problem, waiter not very good, no personality, too busy, not informative. The food was average. For price was expecting a lot better food. We ordered medium steak it was overcooked &dry. fish was also dry and not much flavor. It was our first time we were there for son's 21st Birthday we came from Phoenix, expecting a much better experience & very disappointed. We had a better time the next night at Baja Beach Cafe on Pacific Beach. Where server was friendly, informative and the food was priced adequately for the quality.Special Features:
- not impressedcollinsDined on 9/26/2014This was our 3rd visit and 3rd time we were not impressed. It used to be good years ago. Not to mention overpriced!Special Features: