1633 N Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://balenachicago.com/
- Phone: 3128673888
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Dinner Monday through Thursday 5pm until 10pm.
Friday and Saturday the kitchen is open until 11pm.
Saturday and Sunday the kitchen opens at 4:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Chris Pandel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Balena
Balena is first collobaration between Boka Restaurant Group and The Bristol Group. Led by Execeutive Chef/Partner Chris Pandel, the restaurant serves what he calls "Honest, Italian cooking." Balena's many accolades include Best New Restaurants in America by Gayot and Bon Appetit, 3 stars by the Chicago Tribune, and a James Beard semi-fnailist position for Best New Rstaurant at the James Beard Awards.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Balena reviews from OpenTable diners
374 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (246)special occasion (187)neighborhood gem (165)romantic (145)notable wine list (138)hot spot (126)good for groups (117)vibrant bar scene (61)late-night find (19)kid-friendly (14)scenic view (9)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Food was top notchLeciVIPDined on 8/31/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Balena. The menu is a bit limited but every item on it was delicious. I especially loved the chicken thigh dish. The pizza was outstanding as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedCitygalDined on 8/30/2014Food was decent. Very accommodating of menu adjustments. Was shocked at the final bill. Shared a pizza and side, a couple cocktails a piece and over $100 for two people. There were several servers for our table - a different one delivered drinks and food, different water server and clearer. Despite all the attendants, we had to flag people down to get what we needed. A little disappointing especially for what we paid.Special Features:
- DisasterGJ12VIPDined on 8/30/2014I ordered the pork dish, never dreaming that it would be served in shisk-ka-bob style with SARDINES between the pork cubes! As a result, the pork tasted very fishy! Sardines were never identified as an ingredient on the menu which is baffling since that's an ingredient most people would want to know about. Certainly, I would have ordered something else had it been identified. Zucchini salad was overbearing with garlic. Garlic should be used as a flavor enhancer, not as the basis of the meal. Unfortunately, the entire meal was a mess...however the server was kind and attentive, removing the bad pork entree from the check. Too many great Italian restaurants in Chicago who know how to cook Italian, wish I had avoided this one!
- Outstanding ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Great ambiance, terrific food, however the service is what really put them over the top. They were incredibly accommodating when there was an issue in the kitchen and the grill was no longer working - they were open and up front about the issue, helpful in trying to choose alternative options, then they comped our entire meal due to the inconvenience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2014Intended as a private note to restaurant: We live in Michigan and frequent Balena when we are in Chicago (3-4) times a year. We make a reservation, however, we either still wait to be seated or are seated at a table in an undesirable location (i.e., right next to the bar by the service station) even when other tables are available for the duration of our stay. This often makes us feel less than. You need to review your reservation policy. Thanks.
- SteveVIPDined on 8/27/2014Good food in a nice atmosphere. Service was so so. Trout was excellent as was the Pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, good food and noisy.TeddyVIPDined on 8/26/2014You can hear each other across the table, but you have to speak up. The food is quite good and very interesting. Our waitress was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian in Lincoln ParkKristinDined on 8/26/2014I lived in Lincoln Park for 10 years before recently relocating to Evanston. We miss the food so much we make special trips downtown just for Balena...cannot get enough of the cocktails, wine list and orecchiette pasta. We will be back again and again!Special Features:
- Solid ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/23/2014We have been here twice, and the overall experience at Balena is very dependent on your server. The first time, our server was fantastic - he had great recommendations for dinner and was very attentive. On our second visit, the service was not as good. We waited a very long time after we ordered our wine, and had all but finished our first course before it arrived to our table. The management made up for it by sending a complimentary dish to our table and also comping our first bottle of wine. They were good about accommodating to food allergies. Overall, Balena has great food, but the service has room for improvement.Special Features:
- Great foodluluchicagoVIPDined on 8/23/2014We loved every dish we tried at Balena and had a hard time deciding what to order. The pastas were out of this world, and our main dishes (trout and chicken) were also fantastic. Our service was top notch, with the exception of one issue. We ordered a side dish to go with our entrees, but it never arrived. We were home for the evening before we remembered that we never got it, but were billed for it. Not the end of the world, but something to look out for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & Serviceluv2dinewmykidsDined on 8/23/2014The service and food was excellent. Staff was top of there game. Best part it was child friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service is slipping...Jeff0616VIPDined on 8/22/2014I have been several times prior, the food is always phenomenal. We experienced consistent service issues from the time we walked into the door. Reservation was 830pm, we were told the table was finishing and to make ourselves comfortable at the bar. Finally seated at 9, table was right next to the kitchen and very warm upstairs, so we asked to be re-seated downstairs. Our waiter took awhile to great us, and was scattered from the beginning through to the end. Drinks were ordered and it took a craft cocktail 10 mins to arrive and our $100 bottle of wine 20 mins.... This continues throughout the meal. 3 hours for a 3 course dinner.... disappointing.Special Features:
- Worth Returning TogoodfoodieDined on 8/21/2014I had an outstanding meal at Balena when I visited Chicago two summers ago and when I came back this time, I was a little unsure about making another reservation here for the simple fact that Chicago has so much to offer and there is always something new to try. But memories of the great meal we had swayed me and I returned. And I was not disppointed! The meal was once again excellent--so flavourful. Next time I'm in Chicago I'll be back without hesitation. Yum!Special Features:
- 2nd visit, still great!skyfxVIPDined on 8/21/2014Came here Valentine's Day 2013 and loved it. Our 2nd visit did not disappoint. Service was very friendly & expeditious. Food was great: we had the burrata, paccheri pasta, pork+Panzanella salad, peach pizza, & choc hazelnut croccante. My g/f thought the pasta was a little too al dente & we both felt the pizza was a little overpriced at $21. The dessert we loved, although the gelato was a little bland. Overall, the food was very satisfying! The restaurant knew ahead of time that it was my g/f's b-day, and they had staff members write her a b-day card, which was a really nice, personal touch! However, I was a little disappointed they did not treat her to a little cake/dessert (especially since I mentioned she works in the pastry industry).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceBarringtonDined on 8/21/2014We were delayed due to traffic and needed to eat quckly to get to the theatre. The wait staff helped with selections and served quickly so we were able to get to the theatre on time. the food was excellentSpecial Features:
- Fantastic Every Time!DBMusicFoodDined on 8/18/2014Balena is always the perfect place to go when celebrating! The wine is great, the food is amazing, and the service is spot-on! We will continue to be returning customers and enjoy he amazing atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great food, too loudRivzyDined on 8/18/2014I took my family here when they visited Chicago and it was a lot louder than we expected it to be. We were a group of five and they sat us at a long table so that we couldn't see everyone. Furthermore, two people in my family are hard of hearing so when we arrived and they sat us in the center of the restaurant, it was problematic. I asked if we could be put in a quieter place, but was told there was nowhere else because the upstairs was closed. Sothe atmosphere was pretty irritating. We couldn't have a good conversation. However, the food was GREAT. I got to try three different pastas, a pizza, prawns, and multiple appetizers, as well as a few drinks, and was impressed with everything. Furthermore, our server was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Undeserved pretentiousnessNamisugarDined on 8/18/2014First, the good: most of the food was tasty. My husband's black pepper & cheese spaghetti and flap steak was very good. My beet salad and peach & prosciutto pizza were okay. The onions on the pizza overwhelmed the more delicate prosciutto. The tiramisu for dessert was fantastic. Now, the bad: the service and noise level were terrible. The host attempted to seat us - by ourselves - in the dank, smelly basement. It was a Monday night and the main dining room was not full. We came from work and were wearing nice clothes. We didn't smell. I have no idea why they would attempt such a thing!? They did reseat us upon request. There was an overall pretentiousness that was not justified by the food, the service, or the ambiance.
- Waiting....RobertDined on 8/14/2014One hour between appetizers and main courses. Three children almost fell off their chairs waiting for food. Staff finally brought out pasta with butter and cheese to hold them until food arrived. Food was good, not great, and $99 price tag for rib eye was too much given the smaller than advertised (42 oz.) portionSpecial Features:
- Great Presentation, Great ServiceDASFoodDined on 8/14/2014The plates were beautiful. The prawns and prawn heads were not good - tasted of raw flour and very little else. However, the maître d asked for another entrée choice and within 5 minutes, replaced the unacceptable prawns with a delicious pancetta pasta dish. The pork Berkshire dish was good - the pork belly - delicious! Panzanella salad was a little too acerbic and the bread too soggy, but still tasty. Incredible service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperiencesweetpotatoDined on 8/14/2014My spouse and I had the Burrata, Orechiette, a pizza, and a dessert for each. We were both very full. I thought the burrata was good, but overrated. I wouldn't pay $18 for it again. The orechiette pasta was very good. Other reviewers claim the portion is very small, but in my opinion this would feed one person well if they ordered an appetizer and/or dessert and weren't interested in trying a lot of different things and didn't want to be too full. The third course we had was the pizza with peaches. This was also quite good and I'd order it again. This is a large portion for two people who are also eating other courses. Finally, we had the blueberry crostata and the croccante. Both were good, but not mind blowing.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceNachomamaDined on 8/13/2014Balena offers a beautiful and lively dining experience. The menu is eclectic Italian which challenges you to sample some of the most inventive and delicious dishes. The wine and cocktail menu are as creative as the dining menu. Service is outstanding. Don't miss this amazing place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and Winedrummer5Dined on 8/10/2014The ricotta cherry tarte with pistachio sorbet and crushed pistachios was the star of the meal.Special Features:
- Bad experienceChiTownDinerVIPDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I went there for our anniversary and had a bad experience. We had reservations and were given a high table next to the crowded bar, seem more of a bar table than a dining table. Food is overprice and not good at all. I would avoid this place at all costs.
- Another great experienceMKozVIPDined on 8/8/2014Caccio et pepe is outstanding. Endless wine list. Had fish of the day which was sold by the pound. The price was actually reasonable at $44 for 2 people (1.8 lbs). Save room for dessert.Special Features:
- Best Italian in the city333944rcDined on 8/6/2014The pizza's (wood burning oven), and pasta's (hand rolled noodles) are delicious. We also got a chance to meet Chris Pandel (chef/owner) who was super accommodating and a genuinely good guy. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Exactly what we expected.NotAFoodieDined on 8/2/2014We had our anniversary dinner here. We don't regret it for a moment. We actually loved it. But we're not "foodies" and will not be going back. It was all exactly what we were expecting. From the presentation to the portions and the pricing. The food was excellent... tasting/looking. The staff were excellent. My only complaints are two. I felt we were seated too closely to our neighboring tables. I felt cramped and claustrophobic. We could hear every little thing that was being said at the tables next to us. The portions were exactly what we expected, small. They are meant for multi-course meals. But as I said, we expected that. It's a really nice place that's not meant for big guys that like burgers. I felt very out of place there.
- Great Italian!CdubsDined on 8/2/2014Lots of great authentic Italian dishes, and Andrew made our dinner even better. He's right - you have to dip your pizza crust in the onion gratin side. One of the best things I've had in awhile. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Friday Night Dinner!VeeBDined on 8/1/2014I had heard from a couple friends that I would love this place and they didn't disappoint! Brought my boyfriend here for his birthday and he loved it! From the walk into the door to right as we walked out; everyone was friendly and accommodating. The food was amazing and well portioned for two. The drinks made the night perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-show mealdatenightdinnerVIPDined on 7/31/2014delicious food and cocktails. pizzas are great and enormous. fantastic pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but too busysandnDined on 7/30/2014I have dined at Balena about a dozen times. My last 3 experiences were awful in terms of service. The waiters are friendly, knowledgeable BUT they clearly are too busy. The time between ordering a drink and actually receiving it is about 10 minutes. Last time we went, we waited over an hour for a drop of food other than the breadsticks. Granted, we did not order appetizers, but this still seems excessive. We actually would have spent at least another $50 on drinks had the waiter come by more often. He was working very hard, so my only assumption is that the management is unwilling to invest in more servers. Again, this happened the last three visits and so is not a one-time issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Rare DiamondBardenBellaVIPDined on 7/29/2014Hands down the best overall dining experiences in my twelve years in Chicago. The customer service here is impeccable, the food is delicious, the flavors in everything from the burrata, bistecca, and Brussel sprout pizza, are perfection. I've been here more than a dozen times and I still cannot stop recommending to friends, family, and to out of town visitors. Try the manlino cocktail - not too sweet and not too strong. Hell even the ice cubes in their drinks speak volumes (they're large made with filtered water and never seem to melt!) Their attentiveness in this restaurant from the food, the ambience, and the service is something every restaurateur in Chicago should strive for. I will be back again and again and again....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and Food!marebearDined on 7/29/2014Came to celebrate my mom's birthday and we left full, very satisfied, and extremely happy due to the great food and service at Balena. The Marcello no5 was a favorite - I'd highly recommend it!Special Features:
- won't go backPickyVIPDined on 7/29/2014The food was bland and rather high-priced for what we received. The service was dismal!Special Features:
- PescatarianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2014All the veggie dishes we tried were excellent, especially the two starters-- zucchini and beets. The carrot side dish with our entree had promise, but the presentation was weird (whole carrots) and they sneaked in some parsnips. The orecchiette and the white fish entree saved the day. All in all a great experience. Oh, and the wine recommendation from the server was perfect!Special Features:
- Great Service, Great FoodSabytogeDined on 7/26/2014We had a great time at Balena. The service was great and the food was really good. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great for foodies not conversationmiketrouardDined on 7/26/2014The spirits and wine menus exceeded expectation. Their mixology menu was incredible. We went with a party of 8 and everyone enjoyed the different drinks. The menu was unique. They had a fresh take on their dishes. This is not your typical Italian restaurant. The atmosphere was great and service was on top of everything. My only complain in without table clothes or something to diffuse the noise our conversations were limited to the person next to you.Special Features:
- A FavoriteRobertaVIPDined on 7/24/2014This trip had the zucchini salad and peach pizza. Both were really different and terrific. I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at BalenaSerryDined on 7/23/2014Excellent service and delicious well prepared food. Very enjoyableSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014Very good service . Menu was varied and intrestingSpecial Features: