1633 N Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://balenachicago.com/
- Phone: 3128673888
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Dinner Monday through Thursday 5pm until 10pm.
Friday and Saturday the kitchen is open until 11pm.
Saturday and Sunday the kitchen opens at 4:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Chris Pandel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Balena
Balena is first collobaration between Boka Restaurant Group and The Bristol Group. Led by Execeutive Chef/Partner Chris Pandel, the restaurant serves what he calls "Honest, Italian cooking." Balena's many accolades include Best New Restaurants in America by Gayot and Bon Appetit, 3 stars by the Chicago Tribune, and a James Beard semi-fnailist position for Best New Rstaurant at the James Beard Awards.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Balena reviews from OpenTable diners
330 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (212)special occasion (157)neighborhood gem (133)romantic (125)notable wine list (118)hot spot (104)good for groups (92)vibrant bar scene (53)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (12)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- invisableVIPDined on 10/18/2014Again, service is fine until you order, then the waiters drift off. We were clear we had theater tickets, which the waiter acknowledged - but with 30 minutes to go to the curtain, he was no where to be found and continued to be AWOL until left one person behind to pay the bill while the others went to the theater with 5 minutes to spare. Food fab, a bit noisy downstairs but then the experience is always in peril at the end.Special Features:
- Perfectly paired.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Fantastic service. My boyfriend and I had reservations and I was a little disappointed with the table given. It was a two top in the middle of the main dining area and seriously lacked privacy. I voiced this to the hostess and she was extremely professional, went back to the hostess table to find a more romantic spot for two. When she came back she guided us to a table upstairs along the wall, perfectly intimate and paired with our expectations. Given the exceptional customer service, we were eager to enjoy our bottle of wine, cheese assortment, pasta dishes and dessert. I knocked off one star because the Tiramisu was more of a cake rather than a spongey, layered piece of goodness that my palate is used to.Special Features:
- Different and deliciousToscanadinerDined on 10/17/2014The mortadella pizza was fantastic. So good! Interesting pasta dishes with unique ingredients. Chef has been written about highly in many articles and for good reason!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingrivadivaVIPDined on 10/16/2014I have eaten in Italy many, many times, and the food at Balena does not taste like any authentic Italian food I have tasted. The tiramisu was good, but the entrees were just fair.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Great pasta -perfectly al dente. The pizza was fine, but I wouldn't come back for it.Special Features:
- Above and BeyondwillbebackDined on 10/11/2014I made a note in our reservation that we would be celebrating our 1 year wedding anniversary. The staff went above and beyond to acknowledge our special day. They even signed a happy anniversary card and provided dessert with a candle. Very thoughtful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/11/2014I think this was my 5th visit to Balena. I brought 3 out of town guests for a pre-Steppenwolf dinner. They all loved the restaurant. We returned after the play for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerDe123Dined on 10/11/2014The pizza and pasta were 10/10. The restaurant was so pretty and the server was super nice. We even got a card that said Happy Anniversary and it was signed by the staff. It was such a great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The New BalenaCityGirlVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had not been to Balena for a while and were pleasantly surprised by it's new look. We actually liked the previous look, but this one is an improvement. The upstairs is especially attractive. Our hostess said it would be quieter upstairs, but it was quite noisy. Otherwise, a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Great service and delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/9/2014We had a wonderful dining experience mid week. My dining companion was very particular and the staff did everything to make our experience perfect. The food was excellent! I will be back oftenSpecial Features:
- BalenaBob46VIPDined on 10/7/2014Very good Italian food, with excellent service and a very pleasant decorSpecial Features:
- Delicious food. Great service.kkpieDined on 10/3/2014We had play tix at Steppenwolf and wanted a nice place for dinner before the show. Balena was perfecto. Delicious eclectic food. Great drinks. Excellent ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLisa4Dined on 10/2/2014I've eaten here twice in the past 2 months and I think it is fantastic. Menu was completely different, but equally as good.Special Features:
- Best experience this yearJPayksDined on 9/30/2014All in all, this was one of the best nights I've had all year. My guest, the birthday girl, and I sat at the new Chef's Table. She said this was the best food she's ever eaten. I cannot thank the staff enough for giving her that experience. I look forward to my next experience at Balena. It's really Chicago's best restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loosing Lustre?KrugieVIPDined on 9/30/2014I've always enjoyed Balena,the dishes,the service,the ambiance,everything.This year went with a friend to celebrate our birthdays and it wasn't the Balena I remembered.The service was abrupt and rushed,although the place was not crowded.The Burrata w Eggplant for $18 adorned 3 tiny pieces of eggplant,perhaps 4 leaves of mustard green and 2 toast points.Ridiculous.For our entree we ordered the Trout,which again was a very small portion,overcooked,and lentils that looked as though they had been in the pot for days.To close,our server ran our bill thru 4 times!And it was still a problem.So much so,that my credit card was put on hold for possible fraudulent activity.Not fun.The best part of the meal was the birthday card they made.Special Features:
- Friendly, Fast and FunOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/30/2014Great service coupled with intriguing and varied food choices served artfully in an interesting and entertaining environment.Special Features:
- Great date spotloveitorleaveitDined on 9/27/2014Balena is a great spot for a swanky girls night out, or an intimidate date night. The ambience was beautiful and the food was perfect for sharing. I'd definitely recommend this place to friends.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedZeta919Dined on 9/27/2014I absolutely love trying new places around the city. I saw the reviews about Balena and was excited to try it. Unfortunately, our service was VERY slow. It took 3 and a half hours for four people to eat dinner, not to mention we had 1 app, 1 pizza and 1 meal at our table. It wasn't like we ordered a ton of food. The prawns were disgusting! The eyes were still on the shrimp and the aiolia sace was terrible. If I ever was forced to go back, I'd stick with their drinks--not the food.Special Features:
- BalenaJulesMack1Dined on 9/27/2014Pasta was quite salty. ( had the lamb pancetta) number one complaint is we must of had 4 different people serving us, so it was difficult to decide what/who to tip! Waitress changed from the beginning to another one, who was good at first, but then became MIA then we had the bartender, manager, and another server coming around. They need to figure this out, as it's confusing and not personal. Other than that, ambiance is great, pizza we had was good, and my friends meal was wonderful they said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentKsheri1011Dined on 9/25/2014The food was incredible. The wine exquisite. Our waiter was personable and helpful. Great night!Special Features:
- Great food and perfect serviceChicagoDined on 9/25/2014everything about the restaurant was great. Servers were always very atentative. We had food from each menu course. Favorite was the fresh rigatoni, beats were also great. The steak was done a bit rare for me, we ordered med but was rare. Desert was delicious. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5th time inOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2014This is by far one of my favorite spots in the city, I like to come in at least once a month and get my pasta and pizza craving fixed. There service is always great, we were here on a Thursday night and the place wasn't too buy so it was perfect for a quick drink and a small meal with a friend. We didn't feel rush, the server was attentive. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningEggsDined on 9/21/2014Although I have been here numerous times,I have never been disappointed.Very consistant.Special Features:
- Hidden gem.KatieMarie1488VIPDined on 9/21/2014Balena, despite its unimpressive outer facade, is beautiful inside and houses quite the ambiance. Highly recommend the pizza; underwhelmed by some of the other food. But excellent wine list and terrific atmosphere nonetheless. I was pleasantly surprised.Special Features:
- Location, Location, LocationWrigleyFielderDined on 9/21/2014Since this is right across from the Steppenwolf Theatre and a quick stroll from the North/Clybourne Red Line 'L' station, the convenience can't be beat. Great service allowed us to have an appetizer, main course, wine and dessert in < 75 mins. Tables designed for couples and groups of friends or family so it's all good. Disappointed with the brushetta selections being too experimental (tripe!) and no bread and olive oil opener, but thats just my taste. Trout was outstanding and fabulous extensive wine list with pictures of Italian wine regions will keep you wanting to try more. No patio seating or wine flights, but otherwise a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cjbacpDined on 9/20/2014Overall very good food. No complaints in that department, and some dishes were top-notch. The smoked mackerel appetizer is a must, and both of our pastas were a must. I wouldn't recommend the pork dish, which came with a rather unimpressive sausage and pork-belly. The pork belly was expertly cooked, but the proportion of fat to actual meat was very disappointing. The pickled vegetables underneath were alright but nothing to salvage the price tag of the dish. Fantastic desserts and cocktails. As for service, our waitress was absolutely terrific. I deducted a star because we waited for maybe thirty-five minutes between our first dish and our main courses (for which our waitress was very apologetic and comped us dessert).Special Features:
- Poor service, mediocre foodHello3VIPDined on 9/20/2014I went to his restaurant when it first opened and the service was horrible. I decided to give it another try since it had been opened for a while now. Not only was the service still bad, but the food was mediocre. The beet salad was awful and the pasta with kale was salty. It was also so noisy. I'm definitely not going back.Special Features:
- Good food / Okay serviceFromTheBurbs84Dined on 9/20/2014Food was great but our waiter seemed to forget about us halfway through the meal, which resulted in us not having time to get dessert (which we were really looking forward to) before we had to leave and make our theatre timeline. Even though we told the waiter specifically what time we had to leave by. Overall, would go back again when we are able to take our time and commit a full 2 hours to dining.Special Features:
- normally love Balena but mehlovegoodfoodVIPDined on 9/19/2014The menu is this fall is boring. not sure of it is a new chef but wound love to see some better dishes. the shrimp dish was terrible and all the sides just meager.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy, but too noisy!Love2eatVIPDined on 9/19/2014We really enjoyed the food ( leek, fontina cheese and mushroom pizza was awesome!), but it was very difficult to have a conversation, as the acoustics in the main dining area are really loud and amplify everything. I would only return if there were just 2 of us and we could be seated in an out of dining room area, otherwise you cannot hear anyone else at your table without yelling.Special Features:
- I would returnElf13Dined on 9/17/2014We took a chance on this restaurant on a recent trip to Chicago. We were pleased with our meal - the food was well prepared and service very good. Eating outside was very pleasant and we would definitely go back on a future trip.Special Features:
- greatPaulaDined on 9/13/2014this was my second trip to Balena and i thoroughly enjoyed the food, atmosphere and service. it was a little loud.Special Features:
- Good but not greatFryanDined on 9/13/2014The restaurant had been highly recommended but we were a bit disappointed. The food was good but not fantastic. The ambient noise levels were very high and it was difficult to chat at the table. The wines were very expensive, making the evening a quite expensive dining experience. We had an early booking and felt that they wanted us out quickly to allow turn a quick turnover.Special Features:
- Outstanding Service and FoodChristopherSDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I dined at Balena on Saturday night to celebrate our wedding anniversary and were thrilled with our meal there. From the welcoming vibe at the front to the proficient but unrushed service and the spot-on food, we had a fantastic dining experience. Thanks for a great memory!Special Features:
- One of my top ten meals of all timeMandiDined on 9/12/2014I made a reservation at Balena at the suggestion of a friend who lives in Chicago. She said her "foodie" friend really likes it. Her "foodie" friend was correct. We had an outstanding meal! The most notable part of our experience was the outstanding customer service displayed by the management team when our table was not ready for our 8:30 p.m. reservation... The staff went above and beyond to compensate for our 15 minute wait - complimentary glasses of wine and three appetizers on the house. This was a special dinner for my party of four. My sister, from Minneapolis, my mom, from St. Louis, my college friend, from Chicago and myself, from Columbus, OH, were together for the first time in many years. Five star experience!!!Special Features:
- Always a home runMylesVIPDined on 9/7/2014Never a swing and a miss here. Stopped in for some drinks and a pizza. As always the service and food were of the highest order.Special Features:
- Great every timelocalsDined on 9/6/2014This is my third time eating at Balena and it's always so great. We got the pasta dish with sea urchin and crab meat and it was very good, it's a very unique flavor that you never really experience. We also got the pizza that has the pine nut (or pistachio?) pesto with a very thin prosciutto-esque meat on top and that was also outstanding. The duck fat potatoes were unreal, that was a real treat. The only thing that was somewhat forgettable was the chicken thing dish, but it was still very good. Overall, still one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago!Special Features:
- European night outOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014I came here to celebrate my birthday with my husband and another couple. We had a delicious meal that was spread out over three hours of good conversation, great service and delicious food. Our waiter Linus, was very attentive, provided good recos, and didn't rush us in the least. We called it our "European dinner" because we were able to spreas it out and enjoy ourselves, and end it with a nice cappuccino. Overall, a great night was had by all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014Fantastic evening at the Chef's Table. Great food, fantastic service, and a great conversation with the chef. We will be back!Special Features:
- CrissybabyCrissybabyDined on 9/5/2014Food was good, service was very good. It was difficult to converse, though, due to noise levelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.