237 S. Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://balconyonbroad.com/
- Phone: 2158931667
- Hours of Operation:
Mon- Friday 6:30am-11am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Mark Hoffman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: To book special events in The Balcony, including private receptions, please call (215) 893-1691.
A word from Balcony
Classic comfort food at center city's newest restaurant on the Avenue of the Arts overlooking the Academy of Music and the lights and sounds of Broad Street. Open daily for breakfast and nightly for dinner from 5:00pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Balcony reviews from OpenTable diners
- Too DadOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/20/2013Balcony was great but is now closed for lunch and dinner. It was a great spot got dinner before The Academy or any theater.
- Convenient but not awe inspiring.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2013Went there due to its proximity to the Academy of Music. Restaurant was not crowded so we thought we'd have quick service. We were wrong. Waiter was quite attentive but it took longer than it should have to bring out each course. Food was tasty but my wife's was only lukewarm and had to be sent back to be heated. (They remade the entire entree which took about 10 minutes but was done correctly the 2nd time).Special Features:
- Great food, good abianceNoLibsResidentDined on 2/17/2013Balcony is a very interesting concept: Take a big zone over the lobby of a hotel, place a restaurant there so it has views of the lobby and out the two story tall windows overlooking Broad Street. It works well, but when empty, it takes on a slightly eerie feel, but that is helped by the opening to the lobby area. (it's not as alive as 10Arts for example) Staff is attentive, but when I was there it was to a fault. I would say that I felt rushed when it was pretty empty. The food was very good. Had the flatbread that was near perfect. Having it pre-cut would have been nice. The lobster bisque was very tasty. Prices are reasonable for the ambiance, the food, and the placement. I'm sure lobster bisque would be twice the price elsewherSpecial Features:
- Every couple of years, welswrphDined on 2/16/2013Every couple of years, we err and dine here before a concert (we're Phila. Orch. subscribers) or a play. Management (and we go back to when it was the Hershey) still hasn't learned to staff up to meet the curtain times of the theaters in the area. The bartender was also the greeter and seater, as well as doubling as a member of the wait staff. A family at a nearby table left when they were advised that the restaurant could not guarantee that they would be out in time to catch an 8PM performance across the street. The food is good if you have the time to enjoy it.
- Waiter seemed new - High schoolcollegedateDined on 2/13/2013Waiter seemed new - High school or College student and very green. Inefficient, couldn't be found when we were ready to go (realized he was in the back eating).The Maitre D - Wanda was AWESOME! Really helped me make the night special for my date. Really wished she was able to serve us lolSpecial Features:
- - Experience to Remember-OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2013- Experience to Remember- Money Worth Spending The experience was great. My husband and I invited two (2) friends for dinner to say 'thank you', and we were able to converse without interruptions from other guests or from music etc. Justin, the waiter was so courteous, helpful in assisting us on what to order, both for the dinner, and of course, the wine. Although, we stayed for a while, he was making himself busy, and he did not show any form of impatience with us. We thank you for educating, and hiring the right persons to work at The Balcony.Special Features:
- We had a terrible experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/31/2013We had a terrible experience. We had a group of six people, out for restaurant week. First of all, they required a credit card for the reservation, which would have been fine if they were a busy restaurant, but when we got there the restaurant was almost completely empty. They sat us directly next to another table. The food was ok. The entrees were good, but the salad had way too much dressing, the dessert was poorly presented (my sister didn't even eat it). It was the worst dining experience I have had in Philly thus far.
- It was very slow and sortOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/31/2013It was very slow and sort of empty, but the food was really good. It's also pretty inside, not as ADA friendly as it should be, you can't fully enjoy the view unless you can go up and down stairs. It needs better advertising to drum up patrons, which is surprising since it's located inside a Hilton family hotel.Special Features:
- It has great potentialJeffDined on 1/28/2013Going on a Monday night may have been our mistake. The service was poor: orders from the bar were slow (20 minutes for one order) and food delivery was slow. Most of the members of our party of 6 enjoyed their food, but it was warm, not hot. I found the food very tasty and it would've been fantastic hot. The martinis I had were also warm, not cold. If I were attending a performance across the street at the Academy of Music, I might try Balcony again, but maybe later in the week, when I would guess there is more business to support more staff and render better service, especially from the kitchen.
- the restaurant had very fewOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/28/2013the restaurant had very few patrons and i can see why -- i ordered an ice tea and was told there were no lemons or limes -- i finally suggested an orange and my server went and found one and cut it up for me -- it did take her forever to do this but at least she tried. We ordered off the Restaurant week menu and found the portions were very large -- would have been a lot of food for the price if it all tasted good. I was told that they were out of the dressing for the salad i ordered -- yet this was a Restaurant week special. Their flatbread appetizer looked like another salad and would have benefited from cooking the flatbread. The short ribs were overcooked and almost unpalatable while the carrots were almost raw. not enjoyable
- worth a tryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/27/2013overall a great hotel restaurant. all five star courses except the main course which was not outstanding. Restaurant is very clean and nice. Would go again to try a different main course thats not on the restaurant week menu.Special Features:
- Food takes extremely longOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/21/2013Food takes extremely long to come, while we had a nice waitress, they were behind on tables so we had an extended waitSpecial Features:
- The service clearly was understaffeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/18/2013The service clearly was understaffed.I know the restaurant is new but on the Avenue of the Arts there are shows nightly and no doubt those who need a quick bite to eat before a show will wanter in.This was a Saturday so surprised that it was still understaffed. Our server, thought very nice, had a hard time maintaining his section and seemed to do one thing at a time.Our drink orders took forever from the bar to arrive at the table, because the bartender was also seating people, as well as running drinks that were ordered by the 1 or 2 servers for their tables. There were no managers going round to tables, and the food was mediocre for what we paid for. Clearly need more attentive staff or host/hostess at the door. fine dining or comfort?
- Went to the Academy for aDinerVIPDined on 1/18/2013Went to the Academy for a show and this is just across the street and it was perfect. With a discount after showing your theater ticket. Will returnSpecial Features:
- Service was excellent as wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/14/2012Service was excellent as was the food. We oreder from the price fix menu and found the first course excellent choices as well as the entre selections.
- We wanted a place convenientOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/2/2012We wanted a place convenient to the Academy of Music at which we could enjoy a relaxing pre-show dinner. Balcony totally fit the bill. It is a really relaxing atmosphere with a lovely view of the Academy of Music. We had a delicious dinner and the service was excellent. We would definitely go there again!
- Food was tasty. Service wasGinaDined on 11/20/2012Food was tasty. Service was very personalble. Not too fancy, just right for that casual night out. Just watch out for the menu, many of the items listed on the website were not offered when we went to dine.
- Underwhelming and overpriced.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2012It was a disappointing experience. We picked the restaurant for a pre-theater meal as they promised three types of macaroni which would appeal to our twelve-year-old son. In fact, they only offered the lobster-flavored one. When we asked if we could have a simpler form like promised on the web, they refused even though the restaurant was empty. It was underwhelming at many levels and had the uninspired feel of a captive-audience hotel restaurant. The iceberg lettuce salad was delicious and the only bright spot.
- Food was OK, especially consideringOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/17/2012Food was OK, especially considering the menu and price. Service slow because there was only one waiter when we arrived.Special Features:
- All over great service...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2012I will definitely return to Balcony. Very appropriate for small business lunch and/or dinner. The waitstaff was very accommodating...Special Features:
- Nice location overlookingEdwardVIPDined on 8/1/2012Nice location overlooking the lobby of the Doubletree downtown and S Broad St. Wouldn't go there for the food, but they do have a pre-theater menu.Special Features:
- We had a very good time andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2012We had a very good time and it was just across the street from our show venue.Special Features:
- No host, No boast!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/13/2012There was no host/hostess to greet us. We walked in and it took about 10 minutes for someone to even say HELLO. A random worker asked if we wanted to be seated...duh..yes, why else would we be here. Despite that, our waiter, Justin, was pretty decent. The food was tasty. This restaurant would suffice if you were a guest of the hotel. I would not come back here to randomly eat otherwise.Special Features:
- Went for the Mother's DayMmh5319VIPDined on 5/13/2012Went for the Mother's Day Brunch and it was delicious and the service was very good. My sisters and mother raved about the made to order macaroni and cheese and everyone thought the options were nicely spread between breakfast and lunch items. Would definitely go there for brunch again.Special Features:
- Balcony was a good hotel buffet,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/13/2012Balcony was a good hotel buffet, but not exactly note worthy. I wouldn't recommend it nor return based on the buffet. The service was okay. The parking was an added cost as the restaurant can't validate for the garage. Overall, it was not a bad experience, but iit was not really wonderful.
- I enjoyed the scenic viewTinaDined on 5/12/2012I enjoyed the scenic view and the decorations of the hotel, which can be seen from the restaurant. The food was very good and I think I will return to try a different dish. The service was beyond belief, it was like the server was reading my mind and anticipating my next move. Overall, it was a great experience and a wonderful way to begin an evening at the ballet.Special Features:
- We had a great evening. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2012We had a great evening. We were celebrating our daughter's graduation from Temple and found everything to be terrific. We also stayed at the hotel. We would definitely come back.
- Happy Diner!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/6/2012I am assuming five stars for noise means it was pleasant and not a distraction?Special Features:
- We had brunch here beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/6/2012We had brunch here before attending the ballet across the street at the Academy of Music. The breakfast buffet was nothing out of the ordinary and some things needed to be refilled. However, the srambled eggs and home fries were exceptionally good. Our waiter was very polite but seemed to have trouble remembering requests. Overall, not the best brunch I've had in Philadelphia.Special Features:
- Balcony - good views, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/5/2012Great location for a meal prior to seeing a performance at the Academy of Music. The restaurant is nice and the food was pretty good. Unfortunately the service was lacking. We were seated immediately, but not given menus when seated. No server approached the table after we were seated. After waiting for 10 minutes we went to the hostess and she said she'd send someone over. Another hostess did bring menus to the table, but we waited another 10 minutes before the waiter arrived to take our order. Once the order was placed the food came out quickly and was good, but the service, or lack of service would make us hesitant to return despite the convenient location for ballet performances.
- They have a limited selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2012They have a limited selection on the menu, but the food is well prepared. The service was good and fairly attentive. The ambiance in the interior is wonderful, and you have a nice view of Broad street with all its hustle and bustle.Special Features:
- Great location pre or postColeDined on 4/30/2012Great location pre or post theatre..Comfort type food was just OK..Special Features:
- We had breakfast here andkenandruthVIPDined on 4/29/2012We had breakfast here and it was fine. Nothing special, but nothing significant to complain about other than somewhat disinterested servers.
- Comedy of ErrorsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/28/2012Chosen for proximity to the Kimmel Center, Balcony will be remembered by our group, but not in a good way. The food was fine: varied, affordable and tasty. The table set for us had high bar stools. Sizing us up, the staff assembled another. So far so good. Downhill from there, the restaurant was "out of" iced tea and lemonade, two simple cocktails arrived well after the salad course, another table's food was offered to us, bread came toward the end of the entrees, and coffees never. Menus were left on the table and the nice but flustered waiter told us room service was slowing up the kitchen. In Balcony's favor, we did receive requested separate checks and were not charged for one of the bottles of wine as an apology for the delays.Special Features:
- Good location..OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/28/2012Located directly across the street from The Academy of Music, makes Balcony very conveniant. I ordered the crab cakes and they were excellent, laden with lump crab...yum.
- The view of the Academy ofOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/28/2012The view of the Academy of Music makes this a great "hotel" restaurant. Food and service were ok but not exceptionalSpecial Features:
- Great place to eat beforeJmuzzDined on 4/22/2012Great place to eat before the theater. Food and service was very good.Special Features:
- Food and service and viewlatinprofVIPDined on 4/9/2012Food and service and view were quite good...Restaurant was quiet but ambient noise coming up from the bar below was most annoying and disturbing....Some man had obviously been at the bar for a veeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrry long time and it showed by the loudness of his voice and conversation. It REALLY disturbed our meal in such a lovely setting.Special Features:
- A very pleasant, deliciousJAHKVIPDined on 4/8/2012A very pleasant, delicious buffet brunch. Always a nice place to eat near all the Phila. venues.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised for aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2012Pleasantly surprised for a hotel besed restaurant, it was comfortable, the food was excellent, and service very good. It was a great spot for a date.Special Features: