Balboa Cafe - Mill Valley
38 Miller Avenue
Mill Valley, CA 94941Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Balboa Cafe - Mill Valley
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.balboacafe.com/
- Phone: 4153817321x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Rick Edge
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer catering services for off-site events throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Our experienced catering staff will work closely with you to create a memorable event for you and your guests whether in the comfort of your own home, the convenience of your office or staged in a specific venue. Services include: full service off-site catering, experienced catering staff, full service bar, event planning, rental coordination.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Kara Mibach 4153817321x
A word from Balboa Cafe - Mill Valley
Located in the heart of Mill Valley, Balboa Cafe serves classic American bistro fare that is featured on our casual lunch, brunch and dinner menus prepared by Executive Chef Rick Edge. Diners can also choose from an extensive wine list and a terrific cocktail menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Balboa Cafe - Mill Valley reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (23)great for lunch (18)great for brunch (17)special occasion (14)great for outdoor dining (14)vibrant bar scene (12)romantic (11)notable wine list (9)hot spot (6)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)Show More
- Good place to take clientsHardToPleaseDined on 8/24/2014Servers good looking and seemingly pro, service was friendly, but not super attentive (salad served- but no offer of bread; no offer of drinks or menu suggestions; a little bit too jokey and intimate with the clientelle- but this is Mill Valley. Food was just ok- really nothing special - and expensive for what it is. Ambiance nice, easy to have conversations, not too cramped and crowded so you can talk without yelling, and not worry about others listining to you- or having to over-hear others around you.Special Features:
- My new go to spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014The food and service were both incredible. I highly recommend and will be going back soon!Special Features:
- Met our expectationstkmphoenixDined on 8/23/2014Had not been to the Mill Valley Balboa before. Went thinking it was a pretty high level bar scene and left feeling that was a good view. The food was very good without being distinguished. The ambiance was very nice traditional bar decor, with dark woods. Very busy and pretty noisy but not deafening. Downgraded service because it was overly attentive. Server came frequently and interrupted conversations, and left us feeling somewhat rushed.Special Features:
- Best burgers. Great service!JeanVIPDined on 8/20/2014We are huge fans of the SF Balboa Cafe and thought we'd give the MV location a try. Our server was delightful and very helpful. My husband ventured into the specials and wasn't as pleased as he has been with the steaks, burgers, and chicken. I loved the scallops. We were there early and there was a slight disconnect between the kitchen and our server so things came out not as we ordered but our server was fantastic about getting things fixed. The enchilada special was very good - not traditional Mexican - but excellent, although so filling that it was a challenge to finish the ice cream sundae - perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It has gone down hill.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/17/2014Balboa Cafe is not what it used to be. Now they charge $6 for bubbly water that used to be free...the burger and fries which used to be spectacular are just okay and much more expensive. The waitress was politically correct but no real warmth or service. I won't be going back.
- We go all the time.JillDined on 8/16/2014We live in Mill Valley and the Balboa is our number one choice for lunch or brunch on the weekends. Good burgers and breakfast items. Very casual and outdoor seating available for a nice day. A nice place to relax after a bike ride or a walk around downtown Mill Valley.Special Features:
- Casual LunchjonathonstoneVIPDined on 8/7/2014Lovely soup, and Cobb salad was very good. Very good server.
- lunch menu is very limited...OpenTable Diner Since 1999VIPDined on 8/5/2014lunch menu is very limited, and therefore disappointing. the food itself was just okay... service was good.
- Great first impressionFrugalFoodieVIPDined on 7/24/2014I'm tempted to rave about Balboa Cafe but will have to visit a few more times to form a reliable opinion. But based on one visit and four appetizer plates, the outlooks is very positive. One dish stood out, the Frito Misto. The calamari was among the tenderest I've ever had; fresh, perfectly cooked, nicely flavored, and a good mix of sliced rounds and small heads. The Caesar salad was OK but could have used a bit more dressing and more flavor of anchovy. The fresh veggies were very fresh and well prepared. The prices were generally acceptable for this class of restaurant but the main courses were uncomfortably expensive as were the wines except for one half bottle of cab at $18.
- Scrumptious!elfauroDined on 7/20/2014The four of us were seated at a perfect table, tucked back in the corner. We ordered starters and beverages for our brunch along with entrees. The starters and beverages came to the table very promptly, but we waited over 45 minutes for the entrees. One of our guests had to ask the waiter what was holding things up, and we were told the kitchen had become backed up. The manager did the right thing by profusely apologizing and comping our starters and beverages. All the food was truly delicious and it was very nice that the management reacted accordingly to the delay we experienced.Special Features:
- Best fried chicken aroundJohnVIPDined on 7/14/2014The Balboa is our neighborhood go to restaurant. We frequently go there on Monday night for their fried chicken special, which is to die for. The atmosphere is upscale sports bar, and it can get noisy, but that is rarely a problem. The food is usually very good, occasionally great (wish they'd bring back their fried green tomatoes), and occasionally a bit disappointing. The cheese plate is a meal in itself, and the "wedge" salad is a blue cheese and bacon lovers dream (it's not really a wedge). Obviously we like this place, but like about every place in southern Marin, it is over priced. But no worse than anywhere else.
- fillmore street in mill valleyopentabler7VIPDined on 7/13/2014An offshoot of the highly regarded Fillmore street location in the city, this captures the spirit of Mill Valley with warm caring service and great menu options for weekend brunch, and late night bar menu that balances out the generous lunch and dinner options. Very professional bar and drink service also. Very good wines by the glass. The 9 dollar daily changing omelet with greens and potatoes is the best deal in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has been better....Davi13Dined on 7/12/2014We dine often at Balboa, and had a party of 7 on Saturday nite. Everything was just a little off...the service was slow, and food wasn't that good--especially the special risotto (but the person that didn't eat it, had it taken off the check, so that was in the restaurant's favor). The halibut special was overdone, as was the steak. The best thing, as always, was the burger. Go there for the burger and you will never be disappointed!Special Features:
- Good, Worth A Second ChanceJJP1Dined on 7/8/2014We went on weekday night after 8pm and it was pretty crowded and loud. Sat in a booth but was difficult to carry on a conversation without talking loud. We had to wait at least ten minutes after being seated before we were waited on. Would have been nice if someone asked if we wanted a drink to start? The Ahi Tuna appetizer was very good, the chopped salad was a bit disappointing but they did split it for us and we didn't ask, so that was a nice touch. We shared the Salmon Special which was very good. Fortunately since we came in after 8pm, the crowd did start to die out and the noise level was much better. Our waiter did become much more attentive later in the meal. Good wine list! it's worth another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth trying onceLeungVIPDined on 6/26/2014I like the ahi tuna,pork chop and the ribeyed. A romantic environment.Special Features:
- Bad night?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/19/2014Had to send a chopped salad back...completely tasteless and unappetizing in appearance. Burger was slightly overcooked...had ordered it medium rare and it came medium well. Didn't have the heart to send that back, too. Oh well...maybe we'll have better luck on another evening.
- Great spot in downtown Mill ValleydonnasfVIPDined on 6/17/2014I would definitely go back to the Balboa Cafe in Mill Valley. The food was very good and the service was great. Our waiter was cheerful and very helpful with my companion who is allergic to garlic. The waiter looked out for him in this regard! We will be back.Special Features:
- Restaurant with good atmosphereSFfoodieDined on 6/15/2014Good food, although somewhat pricey. Bottomless mimosas and complimentary sparkling water were a nice touch, however, those were stopped and the drinks during brunch are somewhat expensive as well. Solid place for brunch (increase of options on the menu).Special Features:
- Perfect!misscavegrrlVIPDined on 5/25/2014We came to Balboa when another restaurant we had chosen was closed last Sunday evening. It was terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/25/2014Service was only given a "good" because they were packed and hadn't expected such a crowd on a holiday.
- Remember, service is EverythingBarbaraVIPDined on 5/24/2014Went on Saturday night. I guess that management thought it was a,kW and cut servers early. Bad idea. Service as therefore, bad and slow and kind of wrecked the experience. I actually like this place a lot and the food is great. It is never good to have bad service and management needs to be wiser.Special Features:
- jackDined on 5/21/2014Wonderful lunch with professional, friendly service!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/17/2014The salmon was amazing! It was cooked to perfection and the marinade was superb!Special Features:
- Terrific for a quick meal2foodies2getherDined on 5/15/2014We had an hour for the whole meal so promptness was a factor in the grading. Prompt they were and very tasty, creative and helpful. We met our deadline and very much enjoyed our meal. We'd certainly go back at our leisure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great lunch in downtown mill valleymsmo4shoDined on 5/15/2014you would have to go every day of the month to try every great lunch option. I recommend the omelette of the day or the Cobb salad, but the burger gets raves from my friends.Special Features:
- everything was great until......mvryanDined on 5/11/2014The manager of this restaurant ruined my Mother's Day meal. When we arrived the hostess pulled up our reservation without issue. 10 min later the manager came by and abruptly asked us for the name on our reservation. We responded, then the manager asked for a first name. His tone was very accusatory, so my husband pulled up the Open Table confirmation on his phone and showed it to him. He didn't apologize for interrupting us, he walked away. Later he delivered our food and I thought for sure he would apologize at that time. Instead, he dropped off the food and said "by the way, we found your reservation" and left. Are you kidding me? He handled the situation extremely poorly. Too bad- everything else was great! :(Special Features:
- sosojennydoneitDined on 5/6/2014We went here for diner after reading good enogh reviews - but it really disappointed in the food category. The staff was super friendly and great service. The salads we ordered as first courses were very small and poorly made - even missing ingredients listed on the menu! Wouldn't really recomend this place at the price points - there are better choices in the area.Special Features:
- Good saladsfoodie2Dined on 5/6/2014we enjoyed the salade nicoise and the caesar saladSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 636 reviews are from the Balboa Cafe - Mill Valley reviews archive.
- Surprisingly deliciousBB17VIPDined on 4/24/2014We had an extremely good dinner prior to a MTC production. The braised beef risotto was exceptionally good, as was the apple crostata. Service was professional, but friendly. The manager noticed our name and came to tell us he came from a town with the same name. The entire evening was quite enjoyable. We look forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceelizcaVIPDined on 4/22/2014Andrew was fantastic. The burger looked fabulous but I ordered the Cobb salad. It was OK, a bit dry but looked nice. No bread served with it. The iced tea was out of this world. Just how it should be. Not watered down from sitting in ice. Appreciated that a lot too.Special Features:
- Sweet placeDavid7Dined on 4/20/2014We stumbled onto the Balboa Cafe after all our other choices were taken for Sunday Easter dinner. What a great last resort! The decor was simple, relaxed, charming and restful. The service fast and attentive--reminded us of European wait staff. The meal was delicious. I had the pork chop and my fiancee had the prime rib. Both excellent. The other dishes whisking past us looked incredible too. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Great Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/20/2014We really enjoyed a family brunch at Balboa. The food was excellent and service was friendly and efficient. We're gluten-free and there are lots of options on the brunch menu which was fantastic. After our meal we strolledSpecial Features:
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/16/2014Every thing we ordered was delicious! We asked to replace the fries with a salad and were told of course we could. The salad was large, interesting and perfectly dressed. We were impressed with the large list of half bottles of wine. We will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Reliably goodKatsDined on 4/3/2014I've never had a meal here that I didn't enjoy. The service is friendly and as helpful as you want them to be (ie never intrusively so.)Special Features:
- Always great service and reliablyAppleVIPDined on 3/31/2014Always great service and reliably delicious food. Delightfully unpretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/26/2014We have eaten there a few times and the servers are always so very helpful. I follow a special food plan with no flour or sugar and they are always willing and ready to make any adjustments. We love sitting in the booths and, my 94 year old mother in law loves their hamburgers as do we! Nice atmosphere and friendly staff.Special Features:
- Balboa Very GoodJohnrtVIPDined on 3/23/2014I dine here often, usually for business lunches. My wife and I came here for dinner recently and enjoyed ourselves. The service was very good and the menu had good variety. Everything was good. It is a great place to come after a late afternoon movie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch5starVIPDined on 3/23/2014The French toast is excellent. My husband liked their hash & eggs. Our server was very attentive. A good place to enjoy. Sunday brunch.Special Features:
- Excellent Balboa Cafe, Mill ValleyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/18/2014Love Balboa Café, Mill Valley. The server was extremely attentive and was able to do everything I asked. I needed particular changes to a recipe and she was able to convey that to the kitchen staff beautifully. This is my favorite go to place. I prefer the Mill Valley Balboa Café to the SF (original). Cheers.Special Features:
- Nice EveningDD77Dined on 3/15/2014We gad an early dinner and sat outside on a warm evening, it was lovely.Special Features: