208 1st Avenue
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.baladerestaurants.com/
- Phone: (212) 529-6868
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Daily: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 11:30am - 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Lebanese
- Executive Chef: Micheline Wakim
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For all your inquiries, Please email us at Catering@baladerestaurants.com
- Private Party Facilities: for all your inquiries, Please email us at email@example.com
- Private Party Contact: Roland Semaan 2125296868x3
- Entertainment: Live Music: Oud with Violinist every thursday night!
- Special Events: For all your inquiries, Please email us at Specialevents@baladenyc.com
A word from Balade
An Eastern Mediterranean restaurant that is a genuine addition to New York City’s diverse International cuisines. Specializing in Lebanese cuisine, Balade is a quaint neighborhood destination in the East Village with a warm and hospitable setting. Owned and operated by Roland Semaan (Hilton Hotels, NYC; B.R. Guest Restaurant Group, NYC) – Balade, which means Local, when describing produce of high quality in Lebanese, is the true culmination of his heritage and impressive hospitality background and experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Balade - Best Restaurants in East Village ›
Balade reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (19)romantic (14)good for groups (13)hot spot (9)special occasion (9)late-night find (6)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/12/2011Went with a group of seven. Only complaint was that we had a reservation for 8 but they gave away our table when we were 10-15 mins late. Understandable since it's a small place and it was a Saturday night, but then they accommodated us as soon as they could. Everyone in the group loved the food. Fresh bread is delicious. Definitely would recommend. Good for big groups (they're very accommodating given the small size) and quite trendy.Special Features:
- would love to try some ofOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/12/2011would love to try some of the meat dishes...the warak enab (grape leaves) were superb.
- For what this resturant is,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/11/2011For what this resturant is, a casual lebonese resurant, they do an absolutely amazing job. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- The Best of Two WorldsChouesqVIPDined on 2/11/2011Great place to feed a vegan and a carnivore. I brought my best friend here for her birthday. She's a vegan, I'm not. There's a huge array of dishes that were suitable for her needs and I didn't even feel the need to order any meat dishes though I'm a meat lover. There was so much to try, we had to bring half the food home with us and they staff packed it up as if it were take out (utensils, extra pita). Definitely a great find!Special Features:
- We concentrated on the mezeGardenGirlVIPDined on 2/1/2011We concentrated on the meze selections and were extremely happy. Very attentive service, and wonderful, fresh, flavorful food.Special Features:
- Casual spot with deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/26/2011Casual spot with delicious food and impeccable service. Fairly priced. A real gem!
- We would go againOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/22/2011We were three couples, including two vegetarians, and everyone had a good selection to choose from. The food was very good - everyone was happy with their dishes and there was lots of sharing of the mezzes. We sampled two desserts and neither was quite what we expect from traditional desserts and we wouldn't order those again. The ambience was very cozy, warm and service was attentive. The crowd was mixed but skewed toward young and attractive. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- We had truly a lovely diningDebraDined on 1/22/2011We had truly a lovely dining experience. It serves excellent and interesting Middle Eastern cuisine.Special Features:
- convenient to movie theaterrarelyreviewDined on 1/22/2011convenient to movie theater - good for pre theater meal or snackSpecial Features:
- Good food, but not the trueOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/20/2011Good food, but not the true lebanese food my wife enjoys
- food was very good and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/14/2011food was very good and service was great - would recommend it!Special Features:
- very helpful waiter / servicedandelionDined on 1/12/2011very helpful waiter / service for people who were not familiar with Lebanese food - good suggestions - good prices - very fresh vegetarian appetizers and the mixed grill was excellent - agreed that the bread served when we first sat down that they make on the premises was much better than the more ordinary pitas (purchased) which were served with the meal we would return
- Super cute, great nutritiousOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/4/2011Super cute, great nutritious food and very friendly service!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, friendlytaliVIPDined on 12/29/2010Great atmosphere, friendly and helpful service, food was fantasticSpecial Features:
- looking for a romantic digOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/23/2010looking for a romantic dig with good lebanese food, Balade is THE PLACE.Special Features:
- we were a party of 6 withOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/23/2010we were a party of 6 with three kids. There was something on the menu for everyone. THe food was delicious. The staff was friendly and helpful, the atmosphere warm and adult-like with soft candles. We look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Very eclectic food. EverythingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/20/2010Very eclectic food. Everything was delicious. Waitress gave great recommendations. Try the hot cheese for appetizer, and hot ‘cheese cake’ for dessert.Special Features:
- Food was "okay". While weOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/18/2010Food was "okay". While we had a good time, probably won't be returning.Special Features:
- lovely, helpful waitstaffNewYorkerVIPDined on 12/11/2010lovely, helpful waitstaff and excellent food. truly nice experience
- Excellent Menu and great choices.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/4/2010Excellent Menu and great choices. i really enjoyed the Balade Pitza. It gets busy on the weekend, we had to wait 40 minutes for a table but we did not have a reservation..
- We got there at 7:30 - bymomanoodleDined on 12/3/2010We got there at 7:30 - by 8:15 it was really croweded. But it was really good too! I had a bunch of appetizers, and liked them alL! And the lentil soup is lemony and very filling. I will definietly go back and also recommend it. So far it is cash only - so check. Hope you enjoy!Special Features:
- So a friend and I each hadOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/28/2010So a friend and I each had the prix fix lunch: 2 mezze, 1 sandwich, and 1 dessert. We tried the hummus (dip), baba ghanouj (dip), falafels (chick pea balls with sauce), and warak einab (rolls in grape leaves). The baba ghanouj and warak einab were too sour for my liking. The hummus and falafels were good, but nothing special. The falafel sandwich wasn't the traditional falafel in pita with lettuce and tomatoes covered in yogurt sauce, but it was falafels with pickles, radish, and red onions wrapped in a pita. Removing the sour pickles, this sandwich was great! The falafels were delicious! They were better than the mezze falafels. The kenafa was cheesy and sweet and pretty good, but too much. I like the chocoba--melty chocolate with banana.
- Great choices and very fresh!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/27/2010Great choices and very fresh!!!!!!! Staff were very hospitable and knowledgeable. Good variety of beers and wines. i will be back to the cozy Balade very soon.Special Features:
- This Place is incredibly great,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/9/2010This Place is incredibly great, the home made bread is out of this world. the decor is very cozy. i will definitely recommend this place to all middle eastern food lovers.Special Features:
- slow service; one diner hadNYCTomVIPDined on 11/5/2010slow service; one diner had to wait quite a while after others were served, even though restaurant was not crowded; been here a few times and the food is always goodSpecial Features:
- Great dining experience. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2010Great dining experience. The space is great! A bit small but very well decorated and cozy. Service and food are outstanding. The mix grill is very flavorful and mint tea was perfect. Staff pay attention to small details. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- I really liked it, it remindsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/21/2010I really liked it, it reminds me about my home country. Food is really good and the servers were great. I will be back very soon with friends.Special Features:
- Great food, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/9/2010Great food, excellent service and a charming dining room. This is my 7th in 3month. Balade became my favorite on the list.Special Features:
- The food was decent but nothingAW87Dined on 10/8/2010The food was decent but nothing really stood out for me. Have definitely had better Turkish food in Midtown East. The service was slow, but they made up for it by comping our appetizer AND desserts, which made the experience a lot more pleasant. Not sure if it's worth the trip downtown though.Special Features:
- I've always wanted to tryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/6/2010I've always wanted to try this place and I'm glad I did. I invited a group of friends to celebrate my best friend's bday. We selected a choice of food and wine for everyone, and we all had a blast! The service was great as well as the food. I would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:
- The food and ambiance hereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/2/2010The food and ambiance here is very mediocre. Everyone raves about the pita bread, but they only brought two pieces to the table. When we asked for more pita, what they brought was the store-bought thin variety. The fattoush was lacking in flavor and the meat was a little on the dry side.
- Ambiance received fair ratingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/13/2010Ambiance received fair rating only because music was too loud, we couldn't hear ourselves to speak to one another. Restaurant had very cool and cozy look to it and I liked it overall. Food was okay, I really enjoyed the pitza I ordered, but others in party didn't think their dishes were very impressive.
- What a great place for a casualKirkVIPDined on 8/11/2010What a great place for a casual dining experience! First of all, the traditional-style Lebanese food is outstanding, the service was superb, and the ambiance was simple yet elegant. If you are looking for a great neighborhood find, I highly recommend Balade.Special Features:
- food was uninspiring. presentationAnnieDVIPDined on 8/7/2010food was uninspiring. presentation lackluster. servers were not attentive. wine list is too limiting. we were given a table with small seat bench, even though the restaurant was not full. The server forgot to bring things we ordered. maybe the restaruant is having growing pains. good busboy staff.
- I do not understand why thisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2010I do not understand why this place isn't packed everytime I walk by. The food is authentic and superb. Flavored delicately and richly. Amazing. Order whatever the waitress tells you to order: she knows what she's talking about.Special Features:
- Don't let the storefront appearanceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/31/2010Don't let the storefront appearance fool you. When you step into Balade, you will find a warm very attractive restaurant. The waiters are very attentive and helpful with food choices. This is healthy food with lots of salads and grilled meats. I had a glass of the white Lebanese wine which was light and refreshing. The menu is small, but varied. The portions are generous. This is a very nice restaurant in the midst of so many East Village places.Special Features:
- The food is delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2010The food is delicious and the place rocks,,, i really like their shawarma meat. if you like middle eastern food or if you are vegetarian this is the place you should go to. I didn't know what was manakeesh but after trying the lahmebajin i was amazed.Special Features:
- Service was impeccable. DishesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/7/2010Service was impeccable. Dishes were flavorful and well-proportioned.
- The best Lebanese restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/6/2010The best Lebanese restaurant in the neighborhood. Excellent food, nice and friendly staff. Rich menu balancing between the classics and some yummy inventions.Special Features:
- Amazing food, great ambiance,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/25/2010Amazing food, great ambiance, and fantastic service. Our waiter was very attentive and more than willing to answer any questions we had about the menu. They have a large selection of vegetarian menu items but there's plenty of meat option too. Best falafel I've ever had!Special Features: