208 1st Avenue
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.baladerestaurants.com/
- Phone: 2125296868x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Daily: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 11:30am - 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Lebanese
- Executive Chef: Micheline Wakim
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For all your inquiries, Please email us at Catering@baladerestaurants.com
- Private Party Facilities: for all your inquiries, Please email us at email@example.com
- Private Party Contact: Roland Semaan 2125296868x3
- Entertainment: Live Music: Oud with Violinist every thursday night!
- Special Events: For all your inquiries, Please email us at Specialevents@baladenyc.com
A word from Balade
An Eastern Mediterranean restaurant that is a genuine addition to New York City’s diverse International cuisines. Specializing in Lebanese cuisine, Balade is a quaint neighborhood destination in the East Village with a warm and hospitable setting. Owned and operated by Roland Semaan (Hilton Hotels, NYC; B.R. Guest Restaurant Group, NYC) – Balade, which means Local, when describing produce of high quality in Lebanese, is the true culmination of his heritage and impressive hospitality background and experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Balade - Best Restaurants in East Village ›
Balade reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (19)neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (16)romantic (13)late-night find (9)special occasion (8)great for lunch (8)hot spot (6)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Wonderful service, ambiance & foodSwoodyDined on 9/14/201410 adults with health issues, hearing problems and lots to talk about had a wonderful relaxed dinner. Looking forward to going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014Very noisy, cramped. Great for 20-somethings. If you are looking for a good Middle Eastern restaurant, this not the place. The quality of the food is just ok, nothing exceptional. The staff was very nice and accommodating.
- Great place for traditional food!ostrvlDined on 8/30/2014The food was awesome, better than what I expected. Try the keebs and sfihas, you won't regret!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delishdin4luvVIPDined on 8/29/2014Loved coming here with a group of friends- who all agreed the food was delicious. The wait staff is so accommodating and the service is great. Highly recommend this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfuldin4luvVIPDined on 8/15/2014My friend and I wanted Mediterranean food and found Balade and made a reservation. Thankfully we did because there were lots of people waiting for a great meal. The staff is great and extremely accommodating. So excited to come back to this neighborhood spot and excited they deliver too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Balade took me back to LebanonrelkhalilDined on 7/31/2014As a Lebanese citizen it is hard to find Lebanese food in the city that is comparable to the food back home. Balade however truly captures the authentic taste of Middle Eastern cuisine. The sangria, an absolute must, was a great complement to my meal and the service was absolutely great. They had live ethnic music for dinner when I was there and it was lovely. The whole experience was just so amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagnificentLubnaniDined on 7/27/2014One of the best Lebanese restaurants outside Lebanon. Delicious Manakeesh, try the Kafta topping. Generous and well prepared tabbouleh. The shankleesh is what Grandma prepared. The khashta arrived this morning from the local milk farm. This Balade is like Balade.Special Features:
- Unknown territoryEvyNYVIPDined on 7/24/2014We chose to eat here after reading a favorable review in the New Yorker. The food was simple and delicious ( to be fair we sampled only an array of appetizers). Everything was fresh and well presented. The service was very friendly and eager to please. The only aspect we didn't like was the, frankly, awful live music . Nevertheless the staff was very avid sting and unfazed when we requested to change our table to move further away from the musicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/6/2014Outstanding restaurant to have dinner at. The food is delicious in the purest Lebanese tradition and the service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vane14Dined on 7/5/2014This place was incredible. food was delicious and the staff was very friendly. would recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Get the mezze!NyneveVIPDined on 5/24/2014The two of us ordered a bunch of mezze plates - grilled halloumi, shrimp, sfiha, and soujouk. We also had a side of the toum (so much garlic!). We were big fans of all of the plates, but I specifically enjoyed the sfiha and my boyfriend loved the halloumi. The marsala wine was also wonderful. Aesthetically, the restaurant could have been really romantic, but there were a couple big groups there when we were, so it was pretty loud. However, we still had a great time and would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- The following 273 reviews are from the Balade reviews archive.
- KebabsChrisGVIPDined on 5/7/2014Friendly service, tasty eastern Mediterranean cuisine, good location.
- Good food, bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/2014I'm from Dubai, so it was nice to have some Lebanese food. Our main course was okay, but appetizers were good. I didn't like how they didn't have a proper bar. And the servers had no idea what they were doing. They were slow, confused , and the overall service was not good at all.Special Features:
- nellDined on 5/2/2014balade is popular and will be quieter if you go early. take notice of the tiles and other decorative touchesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic, charming, friendlydoktortimVIPDined on 4/19/2014Excellent service by friendly staff that wanted to impart their love of Lebanon and offer an experience of authentic Lebanese fare. Waiter even read our coffee grounds after dinner. Amazing place.Special Features:
- very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014the food is really good and the taste delicate! The sevice is careful. I recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- MikoVIPDined on 4/11/2014Good food and good service. Worth checking out. Our waiter was very helpful and friendly. Fills up quickly so definitely recommend making reservations.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Lebanese FoodSeanDined on 4/11/2014You may as well be in a restaurant in Lebanon. This restaurant is fantastic, extremely authentic cuisine and the small restaurant has some charming decoration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at great prices!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/5/2014The food is delicious. The small plates are great for sharing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASIC FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 3/28/2014I'm Lebanese myself and found this food to be very authentic and possibly the best Lebanese cuisine I've had. Everything we ordered was perfect and the servers were very nice. My only complaints are that we were sat 30 minutes after our reservation time and there was very poor communication between wait staff. We were freshly greeted by 3 different employees and waited on by different waiters throughout the night, but not in a team sort of way because none of them ever knew what we ordered or if we ordered, etc. This was easy to overlook because the food was so damn good, but I do think polished service can take this restaurant from good to great. I'll definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotHippiechikDined on 3/22/2014There was so much more on the menu we want to try and the atmosphere was fun. We will definitely be going back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishCastropoliDined on 3/21/2014Absolutely delicious. We tried different mezze and plates and each one was outstanding. Waiter gave us great recommendations and that's what we are and drank. Prices are reasonable too. Definitely will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A group of us went there forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2014A group of us went there for a birthday and we had such a great experience. The service was great, the food was great, and the atmosphere was great. I'd definitely recommend this place to anyone and everyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic foodDFanDined on 3/14/2014Generally authentic Lebanese food, though they can do better with wildly varying portion sizes and scattershot service. They also just have too many tables for the small space.Special Features:
- Lucky findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014A friend and I were going to a play in a nearby theater. We needed a place to eat, and I literally googled the phrase 'restaurants near 14th Street and First Avenue.' Middle Eastern Food is usually a safe bet, when you're taking a chance so I made an online reservation. About an hour after doing that, someone from the restaurant called me to confirm (which impressed me). But nothing prepared me for how delicious the food there is. The freshness of the ingredients, the original combinations of flavors, the presentation ... Just go there and try it. It's extraordinary.Special Features:
- Surprisingly good foodbri78Dined on 2/22/2014We arranged a table for 8 on a Saturday night with only 24 hours notice, which usually means average food in the East Village. This place was surprisingly good though - everything was very moreish and tasty and had a good sense of authenticity about it from the dips and breads to the salads and grilled meats. Very good place if you like Lebanese/Turkish/Greek food combos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the undiscriminating palateAlixDined on 2/20/2014We came for the food and music, yet you had to sit on top of the musicians to hear them (noise level). A reasonable cheese appetizer and two poor entrees: 1-a fish filet of, perhaps, 1 1/2 ounces on a small salad plate (for we recall $25), too small even for an appetizer; 2-quail, overcooked and bitter (very, very tart sauce, and this is someone who loves lemon). Very over-priced for a low-end Middle-Eastern restaurant. For us, quite disappointing except for the service; the servers tried to be accommodating.
- Excellent AppetizersJellyBellyDined on 2/14/2014We had a prix fixe meal here on Valentine's Day so can't comment on their regular menu. We found the service very friendly and attentive and all the servers were so...nice! The main courses were pretty solid-a little better than okay-but the appetizers were excellent (hot and cold mezzes) and would go again just for that. Their house Lebanese wines were decent but can't comment on their selection as the house wine came with the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's prix fixeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Great price and delicious food for the price, loved the Rose Wine served for the occassion. The Ashta desert with fruit was unique and very tasty. For anyone booking this I would fo early at say 7, at 7:30 and on it got busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Service Outshines Good FoodMatty510Dined on 1/31/2014The title is pretty self explanatory. We made a reservation and waited a while before someone even asked our name or if we needed a table. We saw our waiter twice throughout our meal, once to order once to drop off the check. Fortunately, all 5 of us ordered wine, salads, and maybe 10 small plates and though all we very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place, always good.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/26/2014Love this place, always good. My 4th time there in a year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealDenariusVIPDined on 1/25/2014This was my first foray into Lebanese food, I am very familiar with other Eastern Mediterranean cuisine so I though it was worth a try. The food and service was excellent, we will definitely be back. We had a relatively new waiter and he was attentive and very helpful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let the chef do the drivingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/24/2014We did the 5-course chef's selection. We were told by the server that we'd get small portions, he was right. Presentation and taste were great, nice wine list. Loud, but the place was full, but that dings the ambience and noise. Great wait staff, very attentive and knowledgable. You'll enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky FindCarinaSDined on 1/18/2014It was a stroke of luck to come across Balade through OpenTable, the ambience was casually elegant and romantic but great for groups as well. Service was excellent. We were a group of 9. We had a variety of small plates - mezze sampler,plus chicken wings, amazing little sausages and other dishes recommended by our very helpful waiter Timothy. We were not sure what to expect with Lebanese food and were pleasantly surprised at how flavorful the choices were. The delicious food was overflowing and the bill was just under $300, including 2 bottles of wine, dessert, and 18% gratuity. We dined at around 7 pm, not noisy at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our second visitKimballVIPDined on 1/14/2014This was our second visit to Balade. The food is consistently flavorful. We enjoyed everything we ordered. The service was very good, yet not rushed. A great find!!Special Features:
- good foodNehaVIPDined on 1/12/2014We are vegetarian and were looking for a place with variety for us....... this is the place :) as it offers a lot of options......i would recommend this place. The service was great and ambiance was amazing.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatJML04FSUVIPDined on 1/11/2014Will definitely be back! Balade was a great Lebonese spot we found and would love to share with friends visiting NYC looking for a unique dining atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Middle Eastern Food.dinesoutalotVIPDined on 1/9/2014I love Middle Eastern Food. This restaurant's menu is fantastic. Everyone in my group of 4 ordered either lamb or chicken kabobs. In retrospect we should have said, to cook the lamb medium rare. Both the lamb and chicken were "a bit overdone. HOWEVER, I would try this restaurant again. That is how great there menu is. There is so much for us to try. The apps were all right on!Special Features:
- DeliciousSaxxynycVIPDined on 1/7/2014This was amazing Lebanese food with large portions and good wine/beer. I purchased an Amazon Local deal, and will definitely be back. If you are looking for great Middle Eastern food in a quiet and warm environment, this is your place. I highly recommend Balade!Special Features:
- Yum mezzeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013The food was very delicious. I especially lived the fava bean and the labneh appetizers. The pita bread served with the mezze was a bit week. The waitress was a bit overworked on New Year's Eve; however, I also found her knowledge about the menu and the short wine list to be rather poor. We did receive everything we ordered and we were not rushed. I will definitely go back to try more of the menu. I'll probably return on a less busy evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.