214 Mulberry Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.balaboostanyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 966-7366
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30pm-3:30pm
Saturday-Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern
- Executive Chef: Einat Admony
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please call or email us firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Balaboosta
The owners of Taïm open a new restaurant in NoLita, with a complete Mediterranean menu and organic wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Balaboosta - Best Restaurants in NoLita ›
Balaboosta reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (104)neighborhood gem (84)good for groups (36)romantic (34)great for lunch (33)special occasion (30)hot spot (29)great for brunch (28)notable wine list (16)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great midfle eastern foodWillajaneVIPDined on 11/23/2014Fresh, authentic and fun spot, Can't wait to return Went for brunch and was very impressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food with great flavorssmnsesDined on 11/23/2014This is my 2nd visit and I would go back every time I'm in NYC. This was my first brunch visit and would certainly go back for brunch again but want to go back for dinner too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!DrDanVIPDined on 11/22/2014Culinary perfection! As always when we attended, the service was friendly and efficient. The presentation of the food was visually mesmerizing! The tastes of each platter were exquisite. Bravo again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014The hummus, fried olives, cauliflower, and spaghetti were all to die for, and the cocktails were delicious. Einat Admony is a star.. the food was amazing and the ambiance was great. A wonderful place for a special occasion or just a nice dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful placeRicardoVIPDined on 11/5/2014We thoroughly enjoyed Balaboosta! The decor is charming, the service was great, and the food was fantastic. Also, we realized after tucking into our appetizers, that we had ordered more food than we'd be able to eat. We asked whether we could cancel one of the dishes we'd ordered, and they very graciously agreed. We will definitely return and recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for any occasionEVFoodieVIPDined on 11/1/2014We've been here for our anniversary, my sister's birthday, to introduce out-of-town and local friends to a great NYC restaurant, and simply because we want a nice, reasonably priced meal. On all counts, we are a,ways thrilled with the food, the service and the ambiance. This was another wonderful meal, starting with the fried olives (unlike any dish you'll get anywhere else), the cauliflower, and a special grilled artichoke appetizer. Then, two whole fish, the skirt steak and the chicken. One of our friends couldn't believe how uniformly cooked (and delicious) the chicken was. For dessert, the warm berry crumble and the knafiyeh (sp?). As a.ways, the service was friendly and professional. We will continue to go back as often as we can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentic cuisine -fit for foodiesbejakaDined on 10/28/2014Make these fabulous one of a kind dishes at home .....generously shared with love, true grit and a bit of humor in their cookbook, available online or at the restaurant ....absolutely worth the taxi ride...your palate will thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 10/26/2014Great brunch or lunch spot. Service was a little slow, but food was on point and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loveliest service in NYCproustroostDined on 10/25/2014Food was delicious and creative, and the (gifted) dessert was wonderful and appreciated. Definitely don't avoid the special cocktails! Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FoodBizluncherDined on 10/24/2014Really enjoyed our Balaboosta experience. Particular highlight was the small plates, but everything was a delight. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- 4 VERY Happy CampersEVFoodieVIPDined on 10/22/2014Sometimes if you love a restaurant, it's hard to remain objective. We LOVE Balaboosta, simple as that. With that said, our guests, who were visiting from Switzerland, and can be very picky, couldn't stop raving during and after the meal. Everything about the experience pleased them, with the attentive and friendly service particularly standing out. Appetizers included 2 musts (cauliflower and fried olives) plus a special of Brussels sprouts, and a superb burrata. The menu has recently changed a little bit, with the welcome return of the whole daurade. Two chickens under a brick and a special monkfish dish that had "popcorn" okra as its accompaniment. All delicious. Hazelnut mousse and bread pudding for dessert. A complete triumph.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!MitchpDined on 10/22/2014Fabulous blend of spices and flavor The food was amazing I went to a food tasting event for this rest aunt and have been wanting to try the food at a balaboosta for a long time. Everything was delicious and fresh. I have the cookbook and I've tried a bunch of the recipes. All fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tb6574Dined on 10/21/2014Balaboosta is one of my favorite restaurants. Nice intimate ambiance and amazing food. Do not miss the crispy cauliflour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not memorableWezManVIPDined on 10/20/2014Came to balaboosta with great expectations. Bronzino was fresh and nicely cooked. Side dishes od crispy cauliflower and eggplant toast points and asparagus were forgettable. Israeli wine was surprisingly drinkable. Room is small and cramped and loud.Special Features:
- outstanding & inventive cuisineabracadabaVIPDined on 10/17/2014We love taïm but were underwhelmed by Bar Bolonot. Balaboosta didn't disappoint. Everything we ordered was fantastic. The space is cool in an understated manner. Definitely will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!WolfDinner728Dined on 10/10/2014Balaboosta is one of our favourite restaurants in NYC! We live in Toronto, and during our past three trips to NYC we keep on going back! Brunch is great, but the dinner menu is fantastic. I'm a vegetarian, and there are many delicious options to choose from .Special Features:
- Delightful,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014Balaboosta was a delightful experience! Fodd was delicious and different! The service was excellent. The ambiance delightful but the noise level was high as it is a small, intimate place! Loved our evening there! My compliments to the chef. When visiting New York would go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BalaboostaLovetoeatDined on 10/5/2014Intersting food and drinks menu with incredibly tasty food. The lamb cutlets were delicious and plentiful as was the fried cauliflower. The salad of the day seemed to be lacking in ingredients - plenty of spinach,very little goats cheese, pear or sunflower seeds. Unfortunatly the service was too rushed.We arrived at 6:15pm ate two courses, paid our bill and left the restaurant by 7pm. No time allowed to enjoy the atmosphere or savour the tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousToddsVIPDined on 10/4/2014An all round great experience. The Israeli street fare appetizer tasty and beautifully served - don't miss the sweet potato fries. The waitress was knowledgeable and listened. Both the chicken and branzino entrees were cooked perfectly and the cheesecake with rose petal ice cream - perhaps the best desert I've ever had. we will return. Only negative is tables for two are rather close, so go as a four for better space.Special Features:
- yummaggiesfarmDined on 9/29/2014great to find a reservation at open table for this popular restaurant. wonderful mix of flavors in food. cauliflower was my favorite. beet pizza was good but not sure if crust was freshly baked. pappardelle appetizer delicious. bronzino barely there but tasty. would like to go back at lunch. we found the noise level overpowering, but the food made the evening.Special Features:
- Love LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/23/2014My lamburger was perfect so was the cazuela. What more can you ask for in a tried and true restaurant?Special Features:
- Can't get enough of this place!!!EVFoodieVIPDined on 9/21/2014We decided to take my sister, who's a strict vegetarian, here for her birthday. She'd been before, and had loved it, since there are so many choices among the small plates, appetizers and main courses. But even more than before, she was in heaven. As were the three of us who aren't vegetarians, but love eating everything on the Balaboosta menu. We "nibbled" on the fried olives, cauliflower, sambusak (like empanadas with a delicious chickpea and cumin filling), shrimp cazuela and a special meatball appetizer. We could have stopped there, but then we would have missed out on the vegetarian pasta main, as well as the skirt steak, chicken under a brick and salmon. All totally delicious. And absolutely charming, warm service. GO, GO, GO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yuuuuuuuuum!FoodisloveDined on 9/19/2014This was our second visit and definitely not our last. The service is wonderful and the ambiance was perfect. They have a great cocktail list that pairs well with the genre of food. That genre is home made deliciousness. The menu is seasonal so everything is always fresh and well thought out. We shared the "Israeli street fair" appetizer. The flavor combinations are so authentic and special. The two times I've gone, I've ordered my entre from the specials. The meat and fish dishes were like nothing I've ever tasted and 2 days later I'm still thinking about it. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Many Happy LunchesOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/17/2014Consistent kitchen, casual atmosphere and simple and open feel to the space. Food is a Mediterranean hybrid with a strong nod to Israel and simply quite tasty. A decent selection of wines to accompany their food offerings. My favorite dishes are the lamburger and moroccan fish cazuela. Give them a try they have rarely missed over several visits.Special Features:
- A wonderful lunch spot!TubbymoonDined on 9/17/2014I went here for lunch with some coworkers and it was really lovely. The food was great, the service was excellent, and I would have stayed for another hour if I could have. Would love to come back for dinner sometime. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great vibe and food!NMG0Dined on 9/15/2014Have been wanting to try this restaurant for a while, and when I finally did I was not disappointed! Happened to come when the San Genarro festival was taking place right outside on Mulberry street - certainly added a much more lively mood to the locale. Food was great - ordered crispy cauliflower (loved this), hummus (very good), ceviche (i don't usualy like ceviche, but this rendition with butternut squash was tasty), grilled octupus (first time having this - despite being new to the texture, flavor was delicious), grilled lamb chops (these were ok - have had better lamb chops). All paired with a nice recommended tempranillo. Overall terrific experience!Special Features:
- La La La LamburgerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/11/2014Have been dining here for some time now and I love the consistency of the kitchen, the laidback atmosphere and open feel to the space. Food is a Israeli-Mediterranean hybrid and quite tasty. We like late lunches here as seating at that time is usually available. The wine list is decent and reasonable and the deserts look tempting although I must admit I am usually way too full by meal's end to have tried them. Other tables seem to empty them from their plates with gusto. My fave dish is handsdown the Lamburger which tends to come perhaps a tad more rare than I like but a mention to the wait staff for a few more seconds on the grill tends to have mine arive pink, juicy and perfect. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frogloverVIPDined on 9/9/2014The food was flavorful, if a bit oily. The waiter gave us our check without being asked to. There was no one waiting for a table at the time. Overall, the food is of a high quality and prepared with interesting spices. Personally, as a vegetarian, I was disappointed with the oily pasta dish. The meat eaters were delighted with their steaks.
- DelishBirthday65Dined on 9/3/2014We came to celebrate my sister-in-law's 65th Birthday!!! The food and service was absolutely wonderful!!! Our dishes were delicious!!!! We highly recommend Balaboosta!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice flavorsTony67Dined on 9/2/2014We enjoyed dinner at Balaboosta Tuesday evening. The crispy cauliflower was was tasty but not very crispy. The fried olives were crispy. Our main courses were very good-grilled lamb chps and saffron fettuccine. Our server was quite helpful as one of us has dietary restrictions. We would definitely return on our next visit to nyc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite satisfyingPickyDined on 9/2/2014I thought what I ordered veered on the side of bland. The pita with zaatar was enjoyable but the humus lacked flavor. The salad would've been more balanced with some cucumbers thrown in. I did not like the sun dried tomatoes in the salad personally. The mint tea was not the Moroccan-style flavor that I was expecting. I understand the restaurant draws on flavors from the Middle East but I found it to be lacking in flavor in general. It was not the "delicious" food experience my taste buds were anticipating but more on the bland side.Special Features:
- Perfect is right!DiningDanVIPDined on 8/30/2014Balanoosta did not disappoint. Great food -fun to share- and good service in a nice little space. Highly recommend a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service & Delicious FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/30/2014Hubby and I had a great time dining and drinking at this delicious restaurant. The service was friendly and attentive. My husband said that it was the Best Branzino he ever ate. However, my Skirt steak was absolutely delicious as well. I love authentic ethnic flavors and that's exactly what we got.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014Very unique dishes, great ambience and service, enjoyed it all,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at BalaboostaEvyNYVIPDined on 8/27/2014Loved the food and the vibe but the noise level was unbearable. The fish of the day was skate, which was delicious but accompanied by undercooked fingerling potatoes. I think the presentation could have been better. Bottom line : would go back but at a different time. Noise was deafening and for a table of 4 we had a hard time hearing each other which clearly took something away from the experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyKeywesterDined on 8/27/2014Fried olives - OMG! Everything was really delicious. Service was terrific. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a 6 Star Rating!!!EVFoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Yes, we're regulars here...but our friend who joined us and had never been to the restaurant before kept saying, "this is the most delicious..." I've ever eaten. Cauliflower, sambusak, a special lamb shoulder empanada, the beet pizza (vegetarians take note!!!), eggplant bruschetta, salmon and a skate special. Every bite was absolutely delicious, and we wish we had had room for dessert. Great, great service. And don't forget the wonderful honey pomegranate iced tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love BalaboostaHsstuartDined on 8/16/2014A trip to NYC would not be complete without a visit to our favorite restaurant. The grilled branzino with couscous was the best I have ever had. Loved the gnocchi, crispy cauliflower, and caramelized banana dessert. Could not have been better. Can't wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so soluv2dine2Dined on 8/15/2014the lamb chops were >50% grizzle. the chicken breast was on the dry side. the appetizers and side vegetables were very flavorful and different. the waitress was not exactly warm but she was efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the LamburgerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/14/2014Our go to destination for a great lamburger. Have enjoyed this along with the Bravas with za'atar and garlic aioli for some time now. Our table also had the Morrocan Fish Cazuela which was tasty and had a surprising heat to it. Kitchen at times struggles with presenting the lamburger cooked just right which for me is medium rare but they are quick to correct and the result is most often enjoyable. We love this spot and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.