214 Mulberry Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.balaboostanyc.com/
- Phone: 2129667366
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30pm-3:30pm
Saturday-Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern
- Executive Chef: Einat Admony
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please call or email us email@example.com
A word from Balaboosta
The owners of Taïm open a new restaurant in NoLita, with a complete Mediterranean menu and organic wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Balaboosta - Best Restaurants in NoLita ›
Balaboosta reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (102)neighborhood gem (98)romantic (36)great for brunch (35)special occasion (34)great for lunch (34)good for groups (32)hot spot (23)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (8)notable wine list (7)scenic view (1)Show More
- Perfect is right!DiningDanVIPDined on 8/30/2014Balanoosta did not disappoint. Great food -fun to share- and good service in a nice little space. Highly recommend a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service & Delicious FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/30/2014Hubby and I had a great time dining and drinking at this delicious restaurant. The service was friendly and attentive. My husband said that it was the Best Branzino he ever ate. However, my Skirt steak was absolutely delicious as well. I love authentic ethnic flavors and that's exactly what we got.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014Very unique dishes, great ambience and service, enjoyed it all,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at BalaboostaEvyNYVIPDined on 8/27/2014Loved the food and the vibe but the noise level was unbearable. The fish of the day was skate, which was delicious but accompanied by undercooked fingerling potatoes. I think the presentation could have been better. Bottom line : would go back but at a different time. Noise was deafening and for a table of 4 we had a hard time hearing each other which clearly took something away from the experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyKeywesterDined on 8/27/2014Fried olives - OMG! Everything was really delicious. Service was terrific. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a 6 Star Rating!!!EVFoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Yes, we're regulars here...but our friend who joined us and had never been to the restaurant before kept saying, "this is the most delicious..." I've ever eaten. Cauliflower, sambusak, a special lamb shoulder empanada, the beet pizza (vegetarians take note!!!), eggplant bruschetta, salmon and a skate special. Every bite was absolutely delicious, and we wish we had had room for dessert. Great, great service. And don't forget the wonderful honey pomegranate iced tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love BalaboostaHsstuartDined on 8/16/2014A trip to NYC would not be complete without a visit to our favorite restaurant. The grilled branzino with couscous was the best I have ever had. Loved the gnocchi, crispy cauliflower, and caramelized banana dessert. Could not have been better. Can't wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so soluv2dine2Dined on 8/15/2014the lamb chops were >50% grizzle. the chicken breast was on the dry side. the appetizers and side vegetables were very flavorful and different. the waitress was not exactly warm but she was efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the LamburgerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/14/2014Our go to destination for a great lamburger. Have enjoyed this along with the Bravas with za'atar and garlic aioli for some time now. Our table also had the Morrocan Fish Cazuela which was tasty and had a surprising heat to it. Kitchen at times struggles with presenting the lamburger cooked just right which for me is medium rare but they are quick to correct and the result is most often enjoyable. We love this spot and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NY findpab2025VIPDined on 8/13/2014Overall a great experience. Food was delicious and drinks were good too. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Solidhf995VIPDined on 8/10/2014Always a solid Lunch/Brunch spot. These flavorful dishes are reasonably priced. An order of humas is a must!Special Features:
- all about variety of tastesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014I recommend ordering several different courses and dishes, and sharing to enjoy the delicious variety of tastes.Special Features:
- chlabownDined on 8/9/2014Came here for brunch with a group of friends on a Saturday. We made a reservation for our group of six. Food was generally pretty good although the eggs in my friends' shakshuka were overcooked. The mediterranean sampler and lamb burger and sandwiches were all great! Zaatar break is super delicious.Special Features:
- Great serviceNycfoodyDined on 8/7/2014Great food with attentive and unhurried service. But the noise level made it difficult to talkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and healthyStevenDined on 8/7/2014Food is delicious and very healthy! Service was great. Very enjoyable experience overall. A new NY favorite.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food! Highly Recommended!lp116Dined on 8/6/2014Great food...everything we had was very good or excellent. Worth the money. Great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow, slightly rudejaffey0422VIPDined on 8/4/2014I've been to Balaboosta before for brunch and remembered it fondly. I wish I could say the same for their dinner service. I came in a group of 4 for dinner. We ordered appetizers, small plates and entrees. The appetizers and small plates came strangely. 5 of them together, one 20 minutes later. It just felt like they could have been staggered since the table was tiny. Then the wait came. 40 more minutes passed until our entrees arrived. We had our food was (and politely so) to our waitress. She responded, "It's coming, obviously." When the food came 2 of the 4 entrees were room temperature. The food was good, but the portions were inconsistent. Two people at my table ordered steak and they were completed different sizeSpecial Features:
- Mmmm...mmmmmDined on 7/31/2014Always loved this place for brunch and now realize it's also amazing for dinner. DELICIOUS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond Extraordinary!!!EVFoodieVIPDined on 7/30/2014Second time here in the last two weeks - we generally come here at least once every two months. The food keeps getting better and better, including some of the recent changes to some of the old menu standbys. And the service seems even more friendly and professional than before. We went with friends, who'd only been here once. They were blown away. Appetizers included the cauliflower, octopus, calamari special, sambusak (middle eastern empanadas) and the shrimp cazuela. Mains were the lamb chops, lamb kebab special, and the branzino. All the sauces and vegetables/grains that accompanied the mains were perfect matches. It was impossible to eat dessert - we were just too full. Another amazing experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try it!EatingnycDined on 7/30/2014Interesting menu and flavor combinations. My fish soup with preserved lemon and chick peas in a spicy broth was almost too spicy to eat and I couldn't taste the lemon past the searing hotness. But once I got used to it, it was actually very enjoyable. My companions crispy chicken and couscous salad were tasty and well executed. The homemade minty lemonade was excellent. Service was fantastic until the restaurant got busy and then they left us with our dirty plates for 15 minutes. I'd go back because the room is pretty and the food was interesting enough to try out more options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and service!TimothyDined on 7/29/2014Were running 45 minutes late for our reservations and they were incrediblely accommodating. Food and service were nothing short of excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Middle Eastern FoodaimmarVIPDined on 7/26/2014If you want to try a place that isn't very big in size but huge on flavor and the food itself, come to Balaboosta. Any restaurant that can name itself Balaboosta - translation the perfect homemaker, great cook - well you know you're in for a treat. Run, don't walk to make a reservation. You will e beyond pleased and satisfied. Enjoy. Or as we say, ess gezenteheit - translation - eat well.Special Features:
- Good, not outstandingDaniDined on 7/25/2014Went there on a Friday night, the ambiance was nice, the hostess was very nice and even sat before 1 of my friends arrived, Which was nice. Service was just OK, a bit slow. Food was good but not outstanding, we mainly had fish, it was tasty but not the best one I've had. I think this is a consistent place were you'll ahve a nice dinner, but will not be mind-blowing.
- Too good to pass byZCapitanDined on 7/21/2014So you walk around NoLiTa and the scene is ultra competitive. If you happen by this place it appears to be nondescript and ultra casual. Do not let the relaxed look fool you, the food is EXCELLENT. Top notch and good exactly to request. The service is friendly, informative, and even for difficult people they will adjust to their requirements without making you feel out of turn. Extremely accommodating. You can't go wrong with any of the meals, but I would recommend the Hummus and the skirt steak (also tried the Market Salad, the Eggplant dish, and the Arctic Char).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Customer FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014Had a wonderful meal at this restaurant - excellent food. One detail much appreciated was the attention given to my son who is severely gluten intolerant. The staff went out of their way to accommodate his dietary restrictions. High noise level for those who dislike this, but nothing could distract from the food and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely deliciousEVFoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014We eat here at least every couple of months - although with the opening of their sister restaurant, Bar Bolonat (also wonderful), we hadn't been here in a while. IT'S BETTER THAN EVER. Three of us shared the fried olives, the stupendous cauliflower appetizer, the middle eastern version of empanadas (sambusek), the grilled octopus and the bruschetta. All were up to the usual standard - fresh, flavorful and beautifully presented. Then two of us had the red snapper special, while the other had "chicken under a brick". They've slightly revised this dish, with a new salad of corn and favs beans. Scrumptious. And the service here is friendly and professional. Special kudos to our server, Nenad, who made the evening even more special. GO!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really, really good...except...yummyDined on 7/18/2014The service was rushed, even when we told the server we needed more time and wanted to have a cocktail before we ordered. We did overhear the table next to us mention the same thing. The food was excellent and the rest of the team were friendly and attentive. Just beware, you might have to fend off the servers to order-pretty much as soon as you sit down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious food of IsrealFCFoodieDined on 7/18/2014Well executed and well flavored dishes. Attentive and very helpful staff. Tight space with small tables - folks st the next table were seating too close. Small portions for the prices charged. I would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Food!TerryBearVIPDined on 7/17/2014This is what I call Real Food made the best possible way! The Hummus is Ethereal, the best I have ever had! Bravo!Special Features:
- A Mediterranean gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014We had dinner last week at Balaboosta, introducing old friends to what has become one of our favorite restaurants in the city. We could have made a meal out of the Crispy Cauliflower and the Hummus, but were glad we didn't stop there. The Spice Rubbed Skirt Steak was perfectly done to everyone's liking, it was juicy, tender and the magical spices made every bite delicious. Make reservations as this is a popular dining spot. We'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Everything I ate was goodMargaritaloverDined on 7/15/2014Went here with a friend and there was so much on the menu we wanted to try that we ended up splitting small plates and apps. There was not one thing that we tried that wasn't delicious. Got the beat pizza - it was a special but if you have the opportunity to try it I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/14/2014Great food, very flavorful. The crispy cauliflower and tuna ceviche special was excellent. The place was completely full by 8:30 which is always a good sign. Definitely would go back.
- excellentmemeVIPDined on 7/11/2014Crispy cauliflower and swiss chard spaghetti were standouts. Overall atmosphere was great. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/11/2014Exceptional food in a stylish but warm and inviting environment. Standouts were octopus, skirt steak and Bronzino, but everything was innovative, well-prepared and beautifully presented. Love the family photos scattered about. Highly recommended if you want to eat delicious food in a comfortable setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique & Delicious Food, Expensivekosh57Dined on 7/9/2014One shared appetizer, 3 entrees, one shared desert, water with lemon to drink. $95 including tax & tip for lunch. Food very tasty and unusual. Service a bit slow. Overpriced. Would not go back unless someone else was picking up the tab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AussieDined on 7/8/2014We have dined there before & it was just as good,found it a little bit noisierSpecial Features:
- Good foodtbiz00Dined on 7/6/2014I had the lamb chops, fried cauliflower and my lady had the half chick. Hers had a ton of flavor, mines was good but hers was better. The bread pudding was awesome.Special Features:
- DinerDined on 6/28/2014Lovely, casual lunch. Enjoyed the salad with chickenSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2014Pleasant and enjoyable dinner. Dishes were solid and the ambience is nice for a date or a small group.Special Features:
- Food is remarkableOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/24/2014I have been here over a dozen times and the food always impresses. Love the cozy neighborhood feel of the place as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.