214 Mulberry Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.balaboostanyc.com/
- Phone: 2129667366
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30pm-3:30pm
Saturday-Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern
- Executive Chef: Einat Admony
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please call or email us firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Balaboosta
The owners of Taïm open a new restaurant in NoLita, with a complete Mediterranean menu and organic wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Balaboosta reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)neighborhood gem (83)romantic (35)good for groups (31)great for lunch (31)special occasion (30)great for brunch (27)hot spot (25)notable wine list (13)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Tb6574Dined on 10/21/2014Balaboosta is one of my favorite restaurants. Nice intimate ambiance and amazing food. Do not miss the crispy cauliflour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not memorableWezManVIPDined on 10/20/2014Came to balaboosta with great expectations. Bronzino was fresh and nicely cooked. Side dishes od crispy cauliflower and eggplant toast points and asparagus were forgettable. Israeli wine was surprisingly drinkable. Room is small and cramped and loud.Special Features:
- outstanding & inventive cuisineabracadabaVIPDined on 10/17/2014We love taïm but were underwhelmed by Bar Bolonot. Balaboosta didn't disappoint. Everything we ordered was fantastic. The space is cool in an understated manner. Definitely will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!WolfDinner728Dined on 10/10/2014Balaboosta is one of our favourite restaurants in NYC! We live in Toronto, and during our past three trips to NYC we keep on going back! Brunch is great, but the dinner menu is fantastic. I'm a vegetarian, and there are many delicious options to choose from .Special Features:
- Delightful,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014Balaboosta was a delightful experience! Fodd was delicious and different! The service was excellent. The ambiance delightful but the noise level was high as it is a small, intimate place! Loved our evening there! My compliments to the chef. When visiting New York would go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BalaboostaLovetoeatDined on 10/5/2014Intersting food and drinks menu with incredibly tasty food. The lamb cutlets were delicious and plentiful as was the fried cauliflower. The salad of the day seemed to be lacking in ingredients - plenty of spinach,very little goats cheese, pear or sunflower seeds. Unfortunatly the service was too rushed.We arrived at 6:15pm ate two courses, paid our bill and left the restaurant by 7pm. No time allowed to enjoy the atmosphere or savour the tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousToddsVIPDined on 10/4/2014An all round great experience. The Israeli street fare appetizer tasty and beautifully served - don't miss the sweet potato fries. The waitress was knowledgeable and listened. Both the chicken and branzino entrees were cooked perfectly and the cheesecake with rose petal ice cream - perhaps the best desert I've ever had. we will return. Only negative is tables for two are rather close, so go as a four for better space.Special Features:
- yummaggiesfarmDined on 9/29/2014great to find a reservation at open table for this popular restaurant. wonderful mix of flavors in food. cauliflower was my favorite. beet pizza was good but not sure if crust was freshly baked. pappardelle appetizer delicious. bronzino barely there but tasty. would like to go back at lunch. we found the noise level overpowering, but the food made the evening.Special Features:
- Love LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/23/2014My lamburger was perfect so was the cazuela. What more can you ask for in a tried and true restaurant?Special Features:
- Can't get enough of this place!!!EVFoodieVIPDined on 9/21/2014We decided to take my sister, who's a strict vegetarian, here for her birthday. She'd been before, and had loved it, since there are so many choices among the small plates, appetizers and main courses. But even more than before, she was in heaven. As were the three of us who aren't vegetarians, but love eating everything on the Balaboosta menu. We "nibbled" on the fried olives, cauliflower, sambusak (like empanadas with a delicious chickpea and cumin filling), shrimp cazuela and a special meatball appetizer. We could have stopped there, but then we would have missed out on the vegetarian pasta main, as well as the skirt steak, chicken under a brick and salmon. All totally delicious. And absolutely charming, warm service. GO, GO, GO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yuuuuuuuuum!FoodisloveDined on 9/19/2014This was our second visit and definitely not our last. The service is wonderful and the ambiance was perfect. They have a great cocktail list that pairs well with the genre of food. That genre is home made deliciousness. The menu is seasonal so everything is always fresh and well thought out. We shared the "Israeli street fair" appetizer. The flavor combinations are so authentic and special. The two times I've gone, I've ordered my entre from the specials. The meat and fish dishes were like nothing I've ever tasted and 2 days later I'm still thinking about it. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Many Happy LunchesOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/17/2014Consistent kitchen, casual atmosphere and simple and open feel to the space. Food is a Mediterranean hybrid with a strong nod to Israel and simply quite tasty. A decent selection of wines to accompany their food offerings. My favorite dishes are the lamburger and moroccan fish cazuela. Give them a try they have rarely missed over several visits.Special Features:
- A wonderful lunch spot!TubbymoonDined on 9/17/2014I went here for lunch with some coworkers and it was really lovely. The food was great, the service was excellent, and I would have stayed for another hour if I could have. Would love to come back for dinner sometime. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great vibe and food!NMG0Dined on 9/15/2014Have been wanting to try this restaurant for a while, and when I finally did I was not disappointed! Happened to come when the San Genarro festival was taking place right outside on Mulberry street - certainly added a much more lively mood to the locale. Food was great - ordered crispy cauliflower (loved this), hummus (very good), ceviche (i don't usualy like ceviche, but this rendition with butternut squash was tasty), grilled octupus (first time having this - despite being new to the texture, flavor was delicious), grilled lamb chops (these were ok - have had better lamb chops). All paired with a nice recommended tempranillo. Overall terrific experience!Special Features:
- La La La LamburgerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/11/2014Have been dining here for some time now and I love the consistency of the kitchen, the laidback atmosphere and open feel to the space. Food is a Israeli-Mediterranean hybrid and quite tasty. We like late lunches here as seating at that time is usually available. The wine list is decent and reasonable and the deserts look tempting although I must admit I am usually way too full by meal's end to have tried them. Other tables seem to empty them from their plates with gusto. My fave dish is handsdown the Lamburger which tends to come perhaps a tad more rare than I like but a mention to the wait staff for a few more seconds on the grill tends to have mine arive pink, juicy and perfect. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frogloverVIPDined on 9/9/2014The food was flavorful, if a bit oily. The waiter gave us our check without being asked to. There was no one waiting for a table at the time. Overall, the food is of a high quality and prepared with interesting spices. Personally, as a vegetarian, I was disappointed with the oily pasta dish. The meat eaters were delighted with their steaks.
- DelishBirthday65Dined on 9/3/2014We came to celebrate my sister-in-law's 65th Birthday!!! The food and service was absolutely wonderful!!! Our dishes were delicious!!!! We highly recommend Balaboosta!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice flavorsTony67Dined on 9/2/2014We enjoyed dinner at Balaboosta Tuesday evening. The crispy cauliflower was was tasty but not very crispy. The fried olives were crispy. Our main courses were very good-grilled lamb chps and saffron fettuccine. Our server was quite helpful as one of us has dietary restrictions. We would definitely return on our next visit to nyc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite satisfyingPickyDined on 9/2/2014I thought what I ordered veered on the side of bland. The pita with zaatar was enjoyable but the humus lacked flavor. The salad would've been more balanced with some cucumbers thrown in. I did not like the sun dried tomatoes in the salad personally. The mint tea was not the Moroccan-style flavor that I was expecting. I understand the restaurant draws on flavors from the Middle East but I found it to be lacking in flavor in general. It was not the "delicious" food experience my taste buds were anticipating but more on the bland side.Special Features:
- Perfect is right!DiningDanVIPDined on 8/30/2014Balanoosta did not disappoint. Great food -fun to share- and good service in a nice little space. Highly recommend a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service & Delicious FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/30/2014Hubby and I had a great time dining and drinking at this delicious restaurant. The service was friendly and attentive. My husband said that it was the Best Branzino he ever ate. However, my Skirt steak was absolutely delicious as well. I love authentic ethnic flavors and that's exactly what we got.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014Very unique dishes, great ambience and service, enjoyed it all,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at BalaboostaEvyNYVIPDined on 8/27/2014Loved the food and the vibe but the noise level was unbearable. The fish of the day was skate, which was delicious but accompanied by undercooked fingerling potatoes. I think the presentation could have been better. Bottom line : would go back but at a different time. Noise was deafening and for a table of 4 we had a hard time hearing each other which clearly took something away from the experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyKeywesterDined on 8/27/2014Fried olives - OMG! Everything was really delicious. Service was terrific. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a 6 Star Rating!!!EVFoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Yes, we're regulars here...but our friend who joined us and had never been to the restaurant before kept saying, "this is the most delicious..." I've ever eaten. Cauliflower, sambusak, a special lamb shoulder empanada, the beet pizza (vegetarians take note!!!), eggplant bruschetta, salmon and a skate special. Every bite was absolutely delicious, and we wish we had had room for dessert. Great, great service. And don't forget the wonderful honey pomegranate iced tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love BalaboostaHsstuartDined on 8/16/2014A trip to NYC would not be complete without a visit to our favorite restaurant. The grilled branzino with couscous was the best I have ever had. Loved the gnocchi, crispy cauliflower, and caramelized banana dessert. Could not have been better. Can't wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so soluv2dine2Dined on 8/15/2014the lamb chops were >50% grizzle. the chicken breast was on the dry side. the appetizers and side vegetables were very flavorful and different. the waitress was not exactly warm but she was efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the LamburgerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/14/2014Our go to destination for a great lamburger. Have enjoyed this along with the Bravas with za'atar and garlic aioli for some time now. Our table also had the Morrocan Fish Cazuela which was tasty and had a surprising heat to it. Kitchen at times struggles with presenting the lamburger cooked just right which for me is medium rare but they are quick to correct and the result is most often enjoyable. We love this spot and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NY findpab2025VIPDined on 8/13/2014Overall a great experience. Food was delicious and drinks were good too. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Solidhf995VIPDined on 8/10/2014Always a solid Lunch/Brunch spot. These flavorful dishes are reasonably priced. An order of humas is a must!Special Features:
- all about variety of tastesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014I recommend ordering several different courses and dishes, and sharing to enjoy the delicious variety of tastes.Special Features:
- chlabownDined on 8/9/2014Came here for brunch with a group of friends on a Saturday. We made a reservation for our group of six. Food was generally pretty good although the eggs in my friends' shakshuka were overcooked. The mediterranean sampler and lamb burger and sandwiches were all great! Zaatar break is super delicious.Special Features:
- Great serviceNycfoodyDined on 8/7/2014Great food with attentive and unhurried service. But the noise level made it difficult to talkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and healthyStevenVIPDined on 8/7/2014Food is delicious and very healthy! Service was great. Very enjoyable experience overall. A new NY favorite.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food! Highly Recommended!lp116Dined on 8/6/2014Great food...everything we had was very good or excellent. Worth the money. Great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow, slightly rudejaffey0422VIPDined on 8/4/2014I've been to Balaboosta before for brunch and remembered it fondly. I wish I could say the same for their dinner service. I came in a group of 4 for dinner. We ordered appetizers, small plates and entrees. The appetizers and small plates came strangely. 5 of them together, one 20 minutes later. It just felt like they could have been staggered since the table was tiny. Then the wait came. 40 more minutes passed until our entrees arrived. We had our food was (and politely so) to our waitress. She responded, "It's coming, obviously." When the food came 2 of the 4 entrees were room temperature. The food was good, but the portions were inconsistent. Two people at my table ordered steak and they were completed different sizeSpecial Features:
- Mmmm...mmmmmDined on 7/31/2014Always loved this place for brunch and now realize it's also amazing for dinner. DELICIOUS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond Extraordinary!!!EVFoodieVIPDined on 7/30/2014Second time here in the last two weeks - we generally come here at least once every two months. The food keeps getting better and better, including some of the recent changes to some of the old menu standbys. And the service seems even more friendly and professional than before. We went with friends, who'd only been here once. They were blown away. Appetizers included the cauliflower, octopus, calamari special, sambusak (middle eastern empanadas) and the shrimp cazuela. Mains were the lamb chops, lamb kebab special, and the branzino. All the sauces and vegetables/grains that accompanied the mains were perfect matches. It was impossible to eat dessert - we were just too full. Another amazing experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try it!EatingnycDined on 7/30/2014Interesting menu and flavor combinations. My fish soup with preserved lemon and chick peas in a spicy broth was almost too spicy to eat and I couldn't taste the lemon past the searing hotness. But once I got used to it, it was actually very enjoyable. My companions crispy chicken and couscous salad were tasty and well executed. The homemade minty lemonade was excellent. Service was fantastic until the restaurant got busy and then they left us with our dirty plates for 15 minutes. I'd go back because the room is pretty and the food was interesting enough to try out more options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and service!TimothyDined on 7/29/2014Were running 45 minutes late for our reservations and they were incrediblely accommodating. Food and service were nothing short of excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.