4515 Sharon Rd
Charlotte, NC 28211Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.baku-restaurant.com/
- Phone: (704) 817-7173
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm – 2:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm – 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Yakitori, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Michael Shortino
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
A word from Baku
BAKU is a Japanese Robata-style restaurant that showcases outstanding Sushi and innovative Robata and Yakatori cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Baku reviews from OpenTable diners
180 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (125)special occasion (116)hot spot (93)romantic (69)neighborhood gem (48)good for groups (47)notable wine list (33)vibrant bar scene (29)late-night find (27)great for outdoor dining (23)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- A night to rememberLissyloo852Dined on 11/14/2014We had the most wonderful time. They catered to food allergies with ease and our request for a great table on a Friday night. The food was spectacular, everything was perfect. Our server was professional yet personable, and I liked that. Will definitely be back for the Madagascar prawn and wagyu tomahawk!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarcoDined on 11/14/2014Baku will never disappoint you on your special celebration days. Food and service amazing. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi in CharlotteJimRocDined on 11/13/2014Was visiting Charlotte and needed some good sushi. Baku was great - food quality, innovation, presentation. Service was excellent. No disappointments. Am looking forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quiet nightDavesreviewDined on 11/10/2014Went on a Monday for a birthday dinner and the place was quiet which was good for us! The food and service were great, even though they were out of both of our first choices. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- peteVIPDined on 11/8/2014we celebrated my wife's birthday and it was our first stop . Service and food are excellent ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service everSteveMonoVIPDined on 11/7/2014We had dinner at Baku and boy was it awesome! The lamb chops were so tender and the cod was to die for! I would also reccomend the prime beef tataki. However, compared to the service, the food is just an afterthought. Stephen was our server and he was exemplary to say the least. His knowledge of wine was absolutely amazing, and his wonderful quips and anecdotes had us in stitches for hours. We will definitely be back for the food, but mostly just to be taken care of by our favorite server in Charlotte, Stephen. Thanks again for the awesome night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It Ok...rudyDined on 11/5/2014For my first visit it was OK....The food was great. The service was slow. The waitress was trying to hard to make it feel like an upscale restaurant. It is but she was trying way to hard. They messed up our order. We ordered for the main course the Wagya Ribeye and they cooked the wrong meet. The restaurant was not even crowded or busy. Eight tables tops in the whole place. It would have been nice to comp the deserts. The meal was good, I would go back. I would not rush back, but I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian FusionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Baku had been recommended by many people. I finally tried it this weekend and it was great. Food was amazing. Drinks were great. It is a little pricy but worth it. The only downside is the menu is very long. Just ask for recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful dining experience!AnastasiaVIPDined on 10/31/2014Culinary creations that were equally as beautiful as delicious. My boyfriend and I dined at Baku recently and everything was perfect for these two foodies. Nice atmosphere and great service, too! Dine here. You will love it!Special Features:
- Eclectic & fundiningoutVIPDined on 10/31/2014Wonderful ambience. Food was delicious. Three of us shared three small plates & nice wine. Tasty & beautiful presentation. Fun evening with three women to celebrate a birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't order the sushiVestansundaDined on 10/25/2014Sushi was overpriced and very plain. Skewers were not bad. Dumplings were really good.
- Southpark originalGreatcityviewsDined on 10/25/2014Baku offers a very unique restaurant experience that you won't find at other restaurants; the service is exceptional and they provide a good explanation of the menu. The menu has an expansive variety of different offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014great seafood. service great wine a bit expensive desserts poor -go somewhere elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to returnOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Spur of the moment date night, wanted to try something new. Glad we did. Had a 9:00 res didn't get seated until 9:25, no big deal. Nice lounge upstairs to wait and have a drink. Waiter was very personable and knowledgable. Tried a couple of his recommendations and chose a couple of our own. All were presented beautifully, prepared perfectly and had tasted fantastic. Although it's listed as $$ I'd say it's $$$ but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kudos to BakuSteveKVIPDined on 10/17/2014This is our 4th time dining at Baku. Just one word can describe our visit... OUTSTANDING. Every time we are here, we make sure to try something different, and Friday night was no exception. The grilled artichokes were a special, and they were. The Prawns were outstanding and the chicken meatballs never fail to make me smile. To top it off, I had requested something sweet to help us celebrate our 32nd anniversary. The waiter present us with a delicious and beautiful truffle and ice cream desert.... compliments of the management. Job well done Baku. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Very DisappointedJJmurilloVIPDined on 10/17/2014I love a good value when I Dine, I have no problem paying a $300.00 dollar meal for two if we have excellent service, and wonderful food that is worth the price. Well that is not what you will find in Baku. The first thing we were told was that the menu was designed to share. We order 2 appetizers ( Oysters and Quai), an Avocado and Salmon Roll, two Entrees ( Lamb Chops and White Fish) and two sides ( Rice that was never delivered, and Artichoke hearts). The portions are so tiny that are impossible to share, the rice never arrived but sure enough it was on our bill ($225 with the tip). We left the place so hungry we had to go to another restaurant in the area to grab a quick bite before heading home. Not recommended
- Review !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014My firslt time there. Food and decor was great. Our waiter was a little new ( it appears) food took a long time. He got some of our orders wrong however his personalty was good and he displayed awesome customer service !
- Robata and Sushi!CharlotteforfoodiesVIPDined on 10/13/2014This was my first visit to Baku. We ordered an Alaskan roll and a Lobster roll to share, both were amazing. For dinner I had the Lamb. I thought the meat was a bit on the fatty side but very flavorful. My companions had the Jidori chicken and the Black cod. Both were to their liking. I feel the skewer selection was limited compared to similar restaurants I have been to. Overall the experience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, You must try Baku!MisterbreezeDined on 10/11/2014This was different than the restaurants we normally frequent. Wow, what a great place, food was exciting and delicious. Service was great and waiter was very patient since this was our first time at Baku. Expect to pay a little more for the experience. We will return and let our friends know that Baku is a must go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night OutMomsEatOutDined on 10/11/2014I friend and I celebrated a birthday dinner out at Baku. All the dishes were excellent as was the service. We enjoyed a lengthy meal and were not rushed at any point. Waitress did an excellent job explaining the menu making recommendations. Would definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!FaveSteakVIPDined on 10/10/2014Baku reminds me of Nobu, my all-time favorite Japanese restaurant! Glad to have a restaurant like this so close to home!Special Features:
- Completely FabloveloveloveitVIPDined on 10/9/2014Love this restaurant. The food is absolutely delicious. If you haven't been, you must give it a try. The only negative comment I can make is we thought the music was a bit too loud, especially since we were having a "date night."Special Features:
- Great experience!KeboDined on 10/8/2014Baku is by far one of the best restaurants in Charlotte! Great for large groups to order several items and share. Appetizers and sushi was delicious and you have to have to order the Wagyu Ribeye!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Love LoveNatalieVIPDined on 10/6/2014I love this place! Time and time again I am completely satisfied with the experience that Baku gives u!!!! Do yourself a favor and go here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New find...will be back!RosieVIPDined on 10/4/2014Been wanting to try Baku for a while. Hard to get a reservation. Made one for 8:45pm, but thought we'd arrive early to check out the bar, and see if an earlier reservation opened up. We lucked out, and loved the upstairs bar, and got 2 seats immediately. We're more bar people anyway. The bartender was nice enough to go downstairs to cancel our reservation. Great drinks and food recommendations from our tall, nice, male bartender (didn't get his name). Tried 4 small plates, including a great raw roll, 5 drinks, and it came to $100 before gratuity. Not bad! Wasn't overly full, but satisfied. Will try an entree or 2, next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this restaurant!TiffanyDined on 10/4/2014We came here for my birthday on Saturday. There were 4 of us. We will definitely go back. My favorite item was the Oysters. You HAVE to get them!! We tried many, many items, which is the good thing about tapas! But the only underwhelming item that we tried was dessert. My spouse got the chocolate lava cake and I got the toffee cake. The chocolate cake was very dry and the toffee cake was just okay. Definitely would still come back here though--just not for the dessert! :)Special Features:
- The BEST!pickyballentynefoodieDined on 10/4/2014With such a great menu always a new experience never boring-outstanding . Everyone we have shared Baku with has loved it and returned. Tops our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerfoodsnobDined on 9/27/2014Baku was a great destination for my birthday celebration. Great wine list, extensive menu and great variety. Our server was not great. Seemed somewhat annoyed by us even thought our tab exceeded $500. At one point she suggested we get a cab. The lighting in the booths seemed overly bright. The special oysters, black cod and spicy filet were our favorites.Special Features:
- Good food/not worth the $$$UnsatiatedSarahDined on 9/27/2014Our experience at Baku was not good. The food was tasty, the service great. But the bill was outrageous for the amount of food we ordered. We understood from the waitress that dishes were served family style. We got the quail as an appetizer (four bites total, seriously), a spicy tuna roll (nothing special and of regular sushi roll size), and the escolar (about as big as my female fist). The food was good, but only enough to fill ONE person without leftovers. Oh, and it cost $71 not including tip. Do yourself a favor and walk across the street to Cowfish for MUCH better sushi and half the cost.Special Features:
- Great Food at BakuGDWFoodieDined on 9/22/2014We ate and ate but were comfortably full in the end. I had the grilled baby octopus (divine), the white miso soup (wonderful), and the giant Madagascar prawn with sweet chili sauce (DELICIOUS)!!! Other dishes at our table were the crab and rice hot pot, the tiger prawn small plate, and the mango toffee cake. Everything was incredible. I can't believe it took me this long to eat at Baku! I would heartily recommend the restaurant to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationLauraVIPDined on 9/22/2014Had a terrific dinner in celebration of our daughter's birthday - 4 of us devoured a vast number of small plates, sushi, rolls, etc. - each better than the last. We always love coming to Baku, but marking special events is particularly fun. Need to go more often!Special Features:
- Simply FANTASTIC!!FinickyNYCFoodieVIPDined on 9/22/2014All those fab reviews are not exaggerations, we're not even "foodies" and feel like we're in seventh heaven dining at Baku. The employees must have to go through some rigorous training to work here, there is so much they must know about the multitude of dishes on the menu. We've been there twice now, our server both times was Stephen, a great guy who sure "knows his stuff"! Everyone comes out to say hello to our doggies on the patio where we choose to dine because we like to take them out with us. Oh, and DON'T FORGET they offer half-priced bottles of wine on Monday nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Thoroughly enjoyed all of it! Service was fabulous and she did a great job recommending various menu items. The food came out at a nice pace, allowing time to enjoy each item without feeling rushed or waiting too long.Special Features:
- Baku ExperienceDandDDined on 9/20/2014After 2 attempts of super long waits, finally got to experience Baku. Love the decor & feel of the restaurant. Although there wasn't alot on the menu that appealed to me overall, the dish i had was quite tasty. Service ok. Our group was lively our server was not.Special Features:
- Great placeRicardoDined on 9/19/2014Asked waiter to bring us his favorites vs ordering anything specfic. everything was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodabsolutetpVIPDined on 9/12/2014This place is a great Japanese restaurant. We have been there twice. The food is great. The ambiance is great too. The manager, Adam, actually remembered us from our first visit. He came over and made sure our experience was just as good as the first one. And it definitely was. Definitely worth going there. We will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alwaysaburgherDined on 9/12/2014A wonderful way to try so many delicious, and sometimes unusual, foods. Our waiter was extremely knowdegeable and paced our small plates very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, great service!MariaBDined on 9/11/2014Raw oyster special was AMAZING! The butterfish sashimi melted in your mouth. Also great - crab kamamashi pot, fried rice crispy cakes, eel. Make sure to save room for the dark chocolate truffles and chocolate molten lava cake. Great cocktail menu, I enjoyed the hibiscus pomegranate sour and my husband had a tradition mojito. The waiter was fantastic, spot on with all of his food suggestions. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/10/2014The food and service! I would definitely eat here again. But be prepare its very expensive.Special Features:
- Cool and Uniques JapanesePreibmeisterVIPDined on 9/10/2014Very diversified menu. All ordered was really good. Great waitstaffSpecial Features: