Baker Street Bistro
2953 Baker Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Baker Street Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bakerstreetbistro.com/
- Phone: 4159311475
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 2:30pm (WALK-IN ONLY); Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Danel de Betelu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Salut! Baker Street Bistro serves up the best authentic French cuisine in San Francisco. Our warm dining rooms are the perfect setting for your next private event. Chef Danel will work with you to personalize a menu that meets both your taste and budget.
- Private Party Contact: Danel de Betelu 4159311475
- Special Events: Special celebrations for Bastille Day (July 14), Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
A word from Baker Street Bistro
Salut! Bienvenue à Baker Street Bistro! Serving up authentic French cuisine, Baker Street Bistro has been a neighborhood gem for nearly two decades. Pull up a chair on our sun-drenched patio for a leisurely weekend brunch or escape the San Francisco fog in our intimate dining room for a romantic dinner. Our extensive bistro menu includes French classics such as the Bourride (a rich seafood stew), Duck Confit, and Grilled Lamb Chops. Locals and French ex-pats alike swear by the fresh daily specials, Moules Provençale (mussels drenched in white wine, shallots, parsley, tomato & pesto) and Pain Perdu (fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth cinnamon French toast). Owner & Executive Chef Danel de Betelu gladly brings a taste of his homeland to Cow Hollow. He leads a warm and welcoming staff who all shares a passion for great food. Join us for a taste of Paris, right here in San Francisco! Note: Brunch is first come, first serve. Brunch reservations accepted for parties of 6 or more only.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Baker Street Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (92)fit for foodies (53)great for outdoor dining (39)romantic (37)special occasion (33)great for lunch (16)great for brunch (14)notable wine list (14)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)good for groups (2)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Very good MeallebpaulVIPDined on 8/30/2014Very good food, staff was very friendly. Relaxed setting, "cozy" seating as the restaurant is small. The scallops were very good & the strawberry dessert was excellent. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic french bistroEMBEEVIPDined on 8/30/2014We went here for our anniversary and had a very nice, quiet dinner. We had a nice table near a window and every course was delicious. I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Such a disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014We visited Baker Street Bistro for the last time. We celebrated our 19th Anniversary on Friday and made a reservation on Tuesday because we wanted to make sure we could come in out of town to our favorite restaurant with no problems. We arrived 5-10 min early for the 9pm time. We entered the restaurant and were ignored for 10 min before being told that we would be seated momentarily. We were ignored for 5-10 more minutes and were clearly in the way in the dining room with staff working around us. We took ourselves outside to wait in the cold past 9:30 before being seated. Staff didn't check on us once in the meantime. Both the wait staff expressed exhaustion and annoyance with our questions and serving us in general. The food was average.
- Such a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014The scallops were cooked perfectly! The service staff was busy, but completely in control. The patrons were mostly local; they were surprised to have tourists show up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- localdinerVIPDined on 8/28/2014Restaurant did not cook my order rare, as requested….entree came medium rare which, to me, is overcooked. Dish was lacking in seasoning. We started with snails which were fine. Finished with a cheese plate where the cheese was not ripe, pieces were too large, and no one informed us as to what was on the plate. Overall, not a very good experience.
- Try it, we are hookedGloriaRDined on 8/23/2014Delicious food, friendly staff. Absolutely worth the bridge-crossing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent valueJohnJossDined on 8/23/2014Having dined often in France and in many restaurants around the world that offer traditional French cuisine, my party of four found Baker Street Bistro a pleasant dining experience--excellent, well-prepared dishes and some very nice wines that included a Gosset Brut champagne, a fine Sancerre and an outstanding St. Emilion that were excellent value and not marked up to the point of pain as so many restaurants like to do. All four of us looked up from our plates smiling. Note re the 'nickname' below, I never use such anonymous devices--I am prepared to stand by my opinions, good, bad or indifferent, and dislike the Internet's anonymous scathings.Special Features:
- IntimateBlissWonderDined on 8/19/2014Was a perfect place for dinner with two friends, we weren't rushed, could hear each other easily, service was perfect, and food delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Baker Street Bistrognts9rsDined on 8/13/2014Baker Street Bistro always does an outstanding job. The service is knowledgeable and friendly. The food is excellent and if you want French wine, this would be a great restaurant to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful unexpected French gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/13/2014Had a lovely lunch on a weekday - was not what we expected, but we were happily surprised. The food and service were great, and we were able to enjoy a fantastic lunch in less than an hour. Parking wasn't easy, but the food was worth it. My friend had the Croque Monsieur, and luckily shared it with me - incredible (say it with a French accent)! My Poulet a la Moutarde was light and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayLocalDined on 8/12/2014Baker Street bistro is fine as a neighborhood restaurant. The food is fine, but uninspiring. They are accommodating to changes in the menu selections. Given the vast selection of restaurants in SF., I would take a pass on this.
- YumpaprikaDined on 8/8/2014Great Assiette Charcuterie, especially the pate (not a liver mousse a la Whole Foods but real pate), huge bowl of Moules Provençale and a hard to find Traditionnel Confit De Canard. Only gripe is the baked/stuffed tomato. Too much breadcrumbs, too little tomato! Our selection of Profiterole and Ile Flottante was unimpressive. Great, friendly, attentive service, good ambiance and plenty of parking. Will return for sure! Can't wait to try the lamb dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fantastic serviceax4yuDined on 8/6/2014The Neighborhood Prix Fixe is the best deal ever. Where can you get soup, salad, entree and dessert for $20? No where but here!Special Features:
- LambooVIPDined on 8/5/2014First class dining experience in a down to earth and friendly place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - So So FacilitiesFrench4MeDined on 8/5/2014A great neighborhood Bistro offering indoor and outdoor dining. The menu and wine are comprehensive and offer many options for food and wine. As usual, the option to enjoy some pate and cheeses (as a single appetizer), is not offered, so if the diner wants to enjoy this type of appetizer it is required to order both a large charcutiere entrée and a separate entrée of selected cheeses, much too much food for the single diner who wants to also enjoy a main course after the appetizer. I greatly enjoyed grilled lamb chops with tomato and goat cheese and potato gratin for my main dish. Although the food and service were outstanding the restaurant was much too hot. I would have been more comfortable eating al fresco.Special Features:
- bugmenotDined on 8/2/2014As noted, the food and service were excellent. Unfortunately, the tables are very close together, and we were seated next to a very loud-speaking and unpleasant foursome who rather spoiled our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for special occasionPattyP14Dined on 7/24/2014We came to Baker Street Bistro for our wedding anniversary on the recommendation of one of our SF neighbors. We had our wedding reception, 21 years ago, at a NYC French bistro and wanted to replicate the food and wine we remember so well. Baker Street Bistro did not disappoint. My husband had the steak tartare, which was fabulous. I had the salmon, paired well with spinach and carrots. The wine options -- all French -- were outstanding accompaniments. We seldom eat desserts, but the strawberry, with balsamic vinegar and black pepper, and a vanilla ice cream was a great choice. We look forward to returning for a prix fixe dinner sometime in the autumn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loveneighborhoodfindsVIPDined on 7/20/2014We made a reservation for 7pm Sunday and were promptly seated. Great food and service. They were out of the prix fixe menu. The seating is "cozy".Special Features:
- Great food & service! An SF GEM!greateverytimeDined on 7/19/2014Bake Street Bistro received glowing reviews when featured on "Check Please." We went for dinner and now echo those rave reviews! The food was straight out of your typical Parisian bistro but their service was way better. Portions were generous and all flavors were spot on. Be sure to make room for dessert. It's a neighborhood gem tucked away in the corner of Cow Hollow, on a quiet block, just outside the Presidio. We're sure to make this our Go To place for authentic French cuisine. Tables are a bit tight but it's definitely not to be missed!Special Features:
- a real gemgeneDined on 7/19/2014Perfect for all occasions, book ahead for a date with your spouse or stop by when you are in the neighborhood!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Baker St Bistro-deliciously FrenchOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/17/2014We heard about Baker St Bistro on KQED's Check Please. It is a delightful find for visitors to the Legion of Honor or De Young who wish to combine a museum visit with lunch or dinner in a delightful French bistro. Our party had the mussels, risotto and cassoulet. All were delicious. The restaurant is small and luckily we found parking right across the street, although parking can be difficult in the area. We look forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French subtletySFSpiritDined on 7/15/2014I keep going back for the subtle French flavors! Always a winner. The boeuf bourguignon was wonderful. The seafood stew amazing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/13/2014Inspired by rave reviews on Check Please, Bay Area, we booked a table at Baker Street Bistro for dinner after an opera matinee. We arrived early but were seated immediately. Service was pleasant and attentive, and the menu is varied. All the food we ordered was delicious, and the servings were generous. We thought that some of the plates were a bit pricey ($18.5 for a smoked duck salad, $28 for boeuf bourguignon), and were disappointed in the bread - sliced baguette that was chewy rather than crusty, but overall we enjoyed the meal, and have it in our list of good places to go in the City, although not necessarily on top of the list.Special Features:
- Baker Street BistrofoodieforlifeDined on 7/13/2014Did not like how close the tables were together. You literally looked right into your neighbors eyes. We like more room between tables. My food was good, but my husband did not really care for his food. He ate it all but it was nothing to write home about, nor was mine but it was good as I said. We had seen it on a PBS program and decided to check it out. We drove 50 miles into SF. We're glad we tried it because we always like to try new things, however, we would not go there again. Since Crissie field and the Palace of Fine Arts is close by we walked around there afterwards.
- SF Bay Area Check Please!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014We saw this restaurant featured on SF Bay Area Check Please! and had not been there. The experience and food were better than depicted on the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Overall a wonderful experience! A slice of Paris in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as usual!KaptDined on 7/9/2014The service and food was very good -- mussels both ways are outstanding.Special Features:
- Tasty foodcalgirlVIPDined on 7/9/2014For something different we thought we would have lunch at this neighborhood bistro that I heard about on "Check Please". The food was I would call "tasty" but not extraordinary. That said, we would try it again. I ordered the lamb stew and my husband had the steak frites. Our server was very pleasant and the atmosphere comfortable.
- French food done wellStevesfDined on 7/8/2014The Baker Street Bistro was an excellent choice for French cuisine done expertly and served by energetic and caring staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check Please Bay Area was wrongSomeoneDined on 7/5/2014Appetizers took 45 minutes to get to us, escargot was not warm enough. Husband's entree sent back for also not being warm enough. Food was mediocre, too expensive for the experience we had.Special Features:
- Excellent French bistro foodTBADGERDined on 7/5/2014Very fresh and delicious French bistro food prepared with thoughtfulness and love. Like eating in a small bistro on the Left Bank in Paris. Waitstaff very helpful and friendly. Small but excellent wine list, with tastes generously offered to help make a choice. Room is small, cozy and kitchy but fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Baker Street BistrorestraunteerDined on 7/5/2014When the reservation was made online, it specifically asked if this was for a special occasions--ie--anniversary, birthday, etc. I had placed birthday. But nothing was ever done that evening to honor that occasion-not even a cancle on the dessert. While the onion soup was very good, it was nothing spectacular. I ordered the lamb chops which came luke-warm, and there was more gristle than meat on the chop. Also, it came with no green vegetable. Not once did anyone come over to ask how everything was. They only did that after we were done. The staff were too busy either on their cell phone or chatting with some of their "regulars". We did order dessert which I think was the best thing I had ordered. The bill was outrageous.
- Warm, Low-key ExcellenceoaklandraterDined on 7/3/2014We revisited Baker St. Bistro recently after a long-ish absence and were so glad we did! This is a lovely neighborhood spot with consistent cooking, a low-key, French ambiance and attentive service. The traditional French menu (boeuf bourguignon, duck confit, coquilles St. Jacques, fish stew) benefits from updating touches--for example, zucchini and broccoli puree and red pepper coulis with the scallops--that keep the dishes interesting. Service is friendly and on point. You can carry on a conversation here! Baker Street Bistro is solidly back as one of our regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French Food at Baker BistroGFOODVIPDined on 6/29/2014This is a quaint small French bistro. This is the kind of restaurant that you would find on a small street in France. It's cozy and cramped. The tables are really too small. If you have any clumsiness in you, either you or an adjacent table will probably knock over your drink. As it happened, when people were being seated at the next table, they knocked over our glass of wine. No Biggie. The servers to the shawl, washed it and hung it up to dry. The food is excellent and fairly priced. The French onion soup was wonderful. The raw oysters were nice. They confused smoked salmon with smoked ham salad, but that's no problem as we ate both. And they were terrific. The Lamb stew was o.k. And the chocolate mouse was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French FoodfoodieDined on 6/21/2014Fabulous food, will be returning soon for the escargot, they were out of this world!!Special Features:
- Excellent FoodroseDined on 6/20/2014Visiting from Texas. We enjoyed the food so much that we came back the next night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/20/2014loved my escargot. oysters on half shell good and cold. Dinner salad vinaigrette great. French onion soup yum. Duck breast cooked perfectly, lamb chops great, lamb stew great flavor. The Beef Bourguignon, terrible, watery with no richness. Nothing like LeSecure restaurant in Paris, or what I have learned to cook at home. The mussels looked great, will try those when I return. Desert, Protfileroles the cream puff pastry part seemed stale, but ice cream and chocolate sauce was good. Frasises Balsamic was good with strawberries and ice cream. Waiter good and fast with service even though busy Friday night crowd. Only 2 misses out of 10, so overall pretty good, will go back and try more.Special Features:
- AuthenticCHfan5Dined on 6/20/2014If you're tired of fake French food come here for the real thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not wonderful!TerryDined on 6/15/2014We had the $26 steak which was not grade A, at best grade C, very disappointing. Been here many times but not wonderful this round. There are better restaurants with better steaks.Special Features:
- gnts9rsDined on 6/15/2014Baker Street Bistro combines great food, friendly service, and reasonable prices to create a complete dining experience. You may dine inside or out and have a wonderful experience.Special Features: