Baker Peters Jazz Club
9000 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37923Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Baker Peters Jazz Club
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://bakerpeters.com/
- Phone: 8656908110
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday: 5:00 - 11:00
Dinner: Friday-Saturday: 5:00 - 12:00
Bar: Tuesday-Thursday: 4:30-12
Bar: Friday: 4:30-2am
Bar: Saturday: 4:30-2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ali Ayesh
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Let Baker Peters house your next event! Birthday parties, business dinners, wedding receptions--we do it all!
- Private Party Contact: Charles Thomas 865-690-8110
- Entertainment: Baker Peters offers live entertainment every night Tuesday through Saturday, featuring the best jazz and big band musicians in the region. Baker Peters is a 21-and-over establishment.
A word from Baker Peters Jazz Club
From its historic location in the Baker-Peters Mansion, to its exquisite nouveau American cuisine, Baker Peters Fine Dining & Lounge combines southern charm with a contemporary flare. Whether our signature martini menu tempts you, or you would like to enjoy our fresh seafood or aged angus beef, Baker Peters' can accommodate your taste. Reservations are recommended, Baker Peters is a 21-and-over establishment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Baker Peters Jazz Club reviews from OpenTable diners
- Loved it, Loved it, Loved it.monticeDined on 5/25/2013Loved Baker Peters, service was awesome. We were able to get a private table for our anniversary and was still able to hear the music. After dinner we set on the patio while my husband enjoyed a cigar. The food was fabulous. Drinks were great, we had a great time, will return if we visit the area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must visitalb425Dined on 5/16/2013An amazing place to celebrate a special occasion. The food and service are always wonderful and dining in a home from the 1800's is just so charming. That being said, the tables are quite close together and the dining area is tight so if you're looking for a private place for intimate conversation this may not be it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WAY overpriced! Mediocre food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/15/2013Service was awful. Waitress acted like she didn't want to be there. Food was WAY overpriced. For appetizer, two salads, two steaks, two desserts (water to drink), bill was $170!!! We had a Groupon (which could have been why the service was so bad) which covered the majority or I would have been EXTREMELY upset. We have eaten MUCH better food and had MUCH better service at The Spence in Atlanta and paid $70 LESS than here in Knoxville. Just because you charge a lot for the food doesn’t make it good! Appetizer was unseasoned, salads were NOT what was on the menu, steaks were not cooked properly, vegetable were raw, desserts were cold and WAY overpriced. We will definitely not be back.
- We waited nearly two hoursOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2013We waited nearly two hours for our entrees. When we finally got them, my steak was undercooked.Special Features:
- Just average food. Not sureOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2013Just average food. Not sure it is worth the high price.
- I went with friends for mybirthdayfunDined on 5/3/2013I went with friends for my birthday and had a great time. The music was great as well as the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had a wonderful time. IOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013I had a wonderful time. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Exceptional service from the chefOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/3/2013The ambiance was great with a warm fire in the fireplace. We were early guests so we were able to sit next to the fire. The food was excellent. The chef came out and introduced himself to our table. He asked for clarification of our food preferences because we had told our server we are vegetarian. The chef made an excellent special dish for us and the food we ordered from the menu was excellent as well. Overall, it was a wonderfully romantic and relaxing evening! Things of notes- Food is excellent but pricey. Great selection of novelty mixed drinks which are as delicious as they are unusual. Smoke from bar wafts into dining area when the door is opened so if you are SUPER sensitive to smoke, beware.Special Features:
- Smell of smoke while diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/26/2013everything was great except toward to end of our meal there was a stong smell of smoke. I didn't realize that there was smoking allowed in the area that we were in. We were told on an earlier visit that smoking was allowed on the outside closed in patio but we were inside. The smoke was very strong and almost unbearable. They should tell diners that the smell of smoke is strong were we were dining. We sit in this same area last time we dined here but did not smell any smoke.Special Features:
- It was the best dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/26/2013It was the best dining experience my wife and I have enjoyed in Knoxville since the 70's with the Regas restaurant!
- There were no problems withOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013There were no problems with opentable, however there was a lot of confusion with the groupon we used. No one seemed to know how the coupon was used. It was a $50 coupon and specified what was included, but that changed to $104 in total charges and it included the tip. At the end of the meal we were charged a $48 line item called "Other Food" and we were told how much to add for the tip. Probably will not eat there again.
- When you first enter you getOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013When you first enter you get a strong odor of dust and stale cigar smoke, not very nice. Everything looks like it could use a good cleaning. The chairs were not comfortable, everything just seemed...old. Our service left something to be desired, too. It took over an hour for our food to arrive, we overheard another server telling people they "had a back up in the kitchen". Our server never said a word about the delay. The food was just OK. We had the house filet and a ribeye, the steaks were cooked correctly but the sides were cold. After waiting so long I was not going to send them back. Overall, I WANTED it to be great,for a meal that cost $122 plus tip, it should have been, it wasn't. I will not go back,sorry Baker-Peters
- Beautiful, well-kept environment.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/14/2013Beautiful, well-kept environment. The staff and management were attentive, efficient and friendly. We ate downstairs in a small dining room (5 or 6 tables). This was our chosen preference. The lounge, upstairs, sounded very loud and up-beat; but for our anniversary we preferred the quieter setting. Overall, an excellent experience. The general manager sang in our dining room - a very nice man with an excellent voice.Special Features:
- The wine list is VERY overpriced.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013The wine list is VERY overpriced. they had a bottle of Apothic Wine which in a liquor store is $10 or $8 on sale. The price on the menu was $40. They could also give you a bit more salad for the price. I had a wonderful strawberry salad with lots of strawberries but hardly any spinach. And it was happy hour so we had ordered a Jalepino margarita which was listed at $8 reg price we were charged $8. We had ordered a bottle of wine also. And we also ordered their specialty popcorn. They were out of the jalepino so we orderded the sirlion steak flavor which was very good. But they could give you more than what they serve. THey charge $1. Come on popcorn is cheap. But overall the food was excellent. I had the lamb chops which were cooked perfectSpecial Features:
- I read other negative reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013I read other negative reviews before leaving the house should have driven on by. They were spot on. The worst thing about the place was the heavy smell of cigar smoke that permeated the entire building as soon as you walk in the front door. I understand the the upper patio-terrace area where the band was was originally opend air. The smoking may have been tolerable when the area was open but on a cold evening with every window closed it was very uncomfortable. The menu is very limited and presented on old LP album covers. These should be gone and replaced with something that reflects the 21st century. The place could use a good cleaning all the windows were obscured with grime. Will not be back
- Well Worth It!DNROUTDined on 2/26/2013We went here for our anniversary and it was very peaceful and quiet. We heard the jazz musicians upstairs, who were very good, but the dining area was still pretty quiet. Our server was energetic and sweet. The menu had a nice variety of food. Our food came out hot and in a very timely manner. We also had dessert which was wonderful. Oh, the martinis are excellent. It's a little pricey but well worth it. We highly recommend Baker Peters Jazz Club.Special Features:
- Not Impressed at all!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/20/2013I was not impressed with Baker Peters. The food was very bland and overpriced. We had a Half Off Depot and spent additional $$. I knew it was expensive but for that kind of money I expect great food. We ordered a $12 shrimp appetizer and we got 2 shrimp that were overcooked on top of some spinach. We ordered steaks medium, mine was more medium rare and left a puddle of blood on the plate. Luckily my husbands was cooked more and we switched. Neither steak had seasoning or flavor. The service was decent and the waiter was very polite but just went through the motions - he did not try to engage us at all. The dining area downstairs with the fireplace going was nice and the atmosphere was good but I would not return to this establishment.
- We always enjoy BP. This timeFood4LifeDined on 2/16/2013We always enjoy BP. This time was a disapointment because they held over a very limited Valentine's menu. No knowledge was given of this until we got there.
- A one stop week end night out!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2013An historic home, Baker Peter has a cozy, eclectic feel. Dining areas are in various rooms within the house, giving each space a limited number of tables - keeping it intimate and quiet, many with working fireplaces. Great place for private parties or a romantic night out. The food is always delicious with changing chef specials.. Their small plate succulent fillet bites served on hand made sweet rolls are a well known favorite & FABULOUS!. The bar area is separate, offering a long, unique martini list as well as many wines. A bar side room sports a humidor housing a nice selection of cigars. The enclosed patio is where the action is - dancing & local bands providing live music. A one stop weekend night out!Special Features:
- The was an outstanding diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013The was an outstanding dining experience! The service was excellent! Our waiter explained all our options with excellent detail and patiences! The food was outstanding from beginning to end!!! Loved every minute! Can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- Overpriced for what you getOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013First off, I will say the service at Baker Peter's was outstanding. The staff was very friendly and on top of things. Where they fell short was with the food and drinks. We spent over $250 on food and drinks for two people and I could have enjoyed a meal at several other places around town, just as much, for a quarter of the price. The food wasn't bad, but if this were any city other than Knoxville, I think this place would struggle to exist. They must pay the bands well, because I don't see the quality in the food or drinks. Speaking of the band, I thought I would hear jazz music at a "jazz club". Instead we got classic rock hits of the 70s and 80s.
- We arrived and were usheredOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013We arrived and were ushered into an office and told we could not wait in the bar because it was packed. We were told we needed to wait til the kitchen got caught up. We got to our table within 10 minutes or so . Took a while for the server to get to us. We ordered drinks, and was described the packages for valentines day. I chose the filet and my wife chose the ribeye with lobster tail. Ribeye was bland, lobster chewy and potatoes cold. We arrived at 7:45 and received our entree around 9:15pm. I thought that was a little long to wait. There was a hostess trying to seat someone at our table when she realized we were still there. Someone, I'm assuming a manager came up and asked if we had gotten our entrees. We told her no.Special Features:
- Not worth the costOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013Dinner was WAY overpriced; soup was cold, potatoes under cooked and hard. When dinning at a restaurant with that price range, if you’re not having wine someone should remove all the wine glasses off the table. We could have eaten anywhere in Knoxville for less money and had a better experience.
- Heartbroken on Valentine's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013For years, this has been my favorite restaurant in Knoxville. The steaks are unbeatable and there's a great atmosphere. However, booking on Valentine's Day proved to be less than ideal. The menu was extremely limited to a handfull of holiday specials. We were prohibited from ordering some of our favorites. I'd still recommend this place, but not on Valentine's Day.
- The location is great. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/9/2013The location is great. The place has a lot of potential but it needs some help. The atmosphere is really good. Menu selection is poor. Could use some TLC inside the building.Special Features:
- The restaurant smelled likeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/7/2013The restaurant smelled like you were sitting in an ash tray. Hard to enjoy much when it smells so bad.Special Features:
- We continue to return ! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013We continue to return ! The service was fantastic as was the food, drink, ambiance !Special Features:
- The server was friendly andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/29/2013The server was friendly and attentive. The dining room was nice but conversations were heard from other tables, and prob. from ours. The food was okay, but we were glad we had a Groupon and didn't pay the "regular" price. Frankly,too costly for the food served. Also, we ordered sparking water and regular water, not realizing that we would be charged for such. Later, I hear another guest ask for "tap" water....I assume at no cost. This should have been explained to my friend and me. My friend has traveled to Europe on several occasions. There, the water is offered as "with gas or without gas",all of which is not a cost to the guest. Also,hearing the jazz would have been nice, but being subjected to such strong cigar smoke...no wa
- A little pricey, food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013A little pricey, food was outstanding, drinks are way to expensive.Special Features:
- Had a great time at Baker.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2013Had a great time at Baker. Hoevef, this is a cigar restaurant as well. Didn't like the cigar smoke, but love the band and dinner. If wasn't for the cigar smoke I would stay longer and finish listen to the band.Special Features:
- The room we were seated inOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013The room we were seated in would have been nice, but the door was constantly in need of being opened by the waitress. This let in noise and smoke filled air from the other part of the restaurant. Even though the food was good and the service as well, it is not a place to go if you like to breathe smoke free air or if you want a quiet relaxing evening.
- Excellent service, the ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2013Excellent service, the ambiance was perfect for a date (although a little music in the dining room would have been nice). The food was incredible and the special cocktails delicious. Cannot recommend enoughSpecial Features:
- There were 2 negatives toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/12/2013There were 2 negatives to our visit 1) being subjected to cigarette smoke and 2) having only one dressing type for the lettuce wedge - and it was a kinda weird dressing, too.Special Features:
- My wife and I received a giftOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/12/2013My wife and I received a gift certificate for a "dinner for two" as a Christmas present. We enjoyed the dining experience.Special Features:
- If I want a good steak, IOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/5/2013If I want a good steak, I can make myself a good steak; but, if I want a great steak, if I want to reach that higher echelon of grillery in Knoxville, I would be well-advised to go someplace like Baker Peters. Granted, the price will be moderately high and will fall into my "special occasions" range (~$25-$50/person), but it will be an excellent meal. I had the filet topped with boursin, served with mushrooms and broccoli. Wait staff was especially knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and charming.Special Features:
- A bit off from the usual Baker exp.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/5/2013The Baker Peters experience is usually tough to beat, but this time, I did have a few minor gripes. Our assigned server was often absent and somewhat aloof, asking for our appetizer order before offering drinks or describing the specials for the night. Our entrees arrived slightly under-cooked and I sent mine back while my wife ate around the fleshy parts of her salmon. Our intrepid server offered a free dessert for our trouble, but only after another server had already taken our dessert order, brought it out to us, and we had eaten it. So we took another one home with us. Altogether, it was still a good experience overall, but not quite what I've come to expect from Baker Peters. Harbinger of impending decline, or just a fluke?Special Features:
- AlarmingChuckDined on 12/31/2012Food was great! The only problem I have is the waitress tried to intentionaly charge a 52% gratuity. Then to make matters worse she came up with a lame excuse for the regester making the mistake. I will have second thoughts on ever going back there because of her dishonesty.Special Features:
- We had to wait 20 minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012We had to wait 20 minutes after being seated to request any service by a waitress. The manager did give us a complimentary rond of drinks but it set the night, which was New Years Eve, off on wrong foot. Not a good experience.Special Features:
- NotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/11/2012The service was a bit slow, and the food was just OK. The rib-eye had a sort of corn flavor--I know that they feed corn to cattle, but in all of my years of visiting steak houses I have never experienced this aftertaste. I have had grass fed beef before in Hawaii and Canada that tasted different--probably best described as gamey. The Brussels sprouts were cold and the broccolini was way undercooked. Not the best meal for the price.Special Features:
- Pay more attention to couples!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012Great food, great band, love the atmosphere. However, the service was not good this time. They changed our waitress so many times, we couldn't keep up with their names. They were more interested in serving the larger parties and completely ignored our table of two. It was so bad, we had to go to the bar to get additional drinks, including our water which was the first drink we requested. Later, when the waitress did return with a drink that was requested over 30 minutes earlier, she wasn't even sure it was ours and was more concerned with whether or not someone had already brought us one. We had been looking forward to coming to your restaurant all day and the service was very disappointing.Special Features: