Baker and Banker
1701 Octavia Street
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Baker and Banker
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bakerandbanker.com/
- Phone: 4153512500x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Every night 5:30PM- 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jeff Banker
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for more details.
A word from Baker and Banker
Husband and wife team Lori Baker and Jeff Banker opened the doors to their Lower Pacific Heights restaurant in December 2009.The dining room, decorated with caramel colored walls and leather banquettes, sits in a historic turn of the century Victorian that once served as an apothecary. Chef Jeff Banker prepares seasonally driven New American cuisine that utilizes produce and meats sourced from local farms. Pastry Chef Lori Baker turns out hand crafted breads and sophisticated versions of classic American desserts. Our wine list has been carefully chosen to maximize the diners experience with a mix of Old and New World labels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Baker and Banker - Best Restaurants in Pacific Heights ›
Baker and Banker reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (102)neighborhood gem (99)special occasion (85)romantic (75)notable wine list (49)hot spot (8)good for groups (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Exceeded ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/18/2014Thank you Baker & Banker for making our 10th Wedding Anniversary dinner excellent. The food, and service was great. The bread did not disappoint. The duck was delightful. Mark, the sommelier, was not only knowledgeable but also very friendly. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- joy2dinejoy2dineDined on 9/16/2014always a pleasure- consistently amazing food- beautiful in presentation- dee-licious! bread basket is a must! Lori Baker greeted us and actually served our dinner this time! service is excellent- efficient and unobtrusive. I/we love this place. always a treat to know we may be going there for dinner.....Special Features:
- Service was excellent.theatergoerDined on 9/14/2014Met vegetarian requirement, e.g., soup, entree, sides. Trout starter was great, lamb ragu just average. Server poured a taste of the wine before ordering a full glass. One diner changed his order to a different wine. Cheque had to be requested because we were under a time constraint.Special Features:
- DisappointedOldfoodieDined on 9/13/2014Dined here in June and couldn't wait to go back. Went on Sat for hubby's 60th bday. The sommelier is awesome-approachable, knowledgeable, and passionate about the selection. Don't miss the bread basket. Starters of smoked trout and fig salad were outstanding. Unfortunately, the lamb sugo and macaroni was so salty, it was almost inedible. The strawberry cheesecake/shortcake was ridiculous, consisting of a plate of 2 little squares of each with slices of what I guess were freeze dried strawberries and dots of strawberry syrup and a tablespoon of ice cream. What? Service was acceptable but lackluster; questions were answered perfunctorily, with no passion or enthusiasm. All this for more than $110 pp. I wanted so much more.Special Features:
- Awesome findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014I've been twice and loved it both times. I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves good food and wine. Very affordable as well.Special Features:
- Fantastic MealsliapisDined on 8/30/2014I took my partner here for his birthday and it was a really great decision. The place is small but intimate and modern. The staff was amazing. And most importantly the food is delicious. GET THE BREAD! The plates are inventive and gorgeous. Will definitely be going back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED this restaurant!anabananaVIPDined on 8/29/2014I was flying out of the country late at night so my husband and I stayed in SF after work and tried Baker & Banker. What a wonderful surprise! From the outside it doesn't look like a restaurant. Inside it has high ceilings, dark wood and beautiful booths - simple, but elegant. I loved the quiet, understated atmosphere. The service was just fantastic. Not at all intrusive, and yet I had the sense that the waitstaff could read my mind. And the food...the food. My god! Fantastic. My husband and I eat out every Tuesday evening and on the weekends, and he is a fantastic cook, so I'm a bit spoiled and can get disappointed easily. But this was just wonderful. Everything was beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. Thank you!!!Special Features:
- Need bigger portionsMaplenessVIPDined on 8/26/2014But each plate was quite tasty. No faults with service.Special Features:
- Great experienceJeffDined on 8/25/2014We went on Monday night and enjoyed a Monday Night Special pork-fest as our main. The restaurant was very gracious in allowing us to share a meal (we're both small eaters). Service was unobtrusive and matched our style. The food was prompt but not rushed and the flavors were impeccable. Do opt for the $5 bread basket. There were some lovely flavors in there and their homemade butter is fantastic.Special Features:
- Nice placeJojoDined on 8/24/2014Everything was great. Nous y retournerons et surtout en parlerons à nos amis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousEHF123Dined on 8/23/2014doesn't look like a restaurant from outside, but inside is elegant, a bit dark, but pleasant. The food is delicious and beautifully presented. Beware the bread basket is addictive. We took a special bottle of wine and paid the corkage so cannot comment on the wine list. Although the menu is limited the meal was excellent, although one of the entrees was quite a small portion - not much bigger than the appetizers. Overall a fine meal.Special Features:
- good foodmailboxDined on 8/19/2014A great menu and eclectic food combination. Dessert menu is so loaded it was hard to choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday Specials, truly special..FlyBearSFDined on 8/11/2014I came for the seafood risotto, which per usual, didn't disappoint. The flavor of fennel and rich savory seafood broth helped to make this a winner. I also had my favorite starter, the smoked trout latkes with horseradish cream sauce-(truly incredible). The wine pairing always is perfect and I chose cheese for dessert. The staff has become like family and always treats me like family. Coming here is always the highlight of my day and week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Cuisine & Gracious ServiceJBayDined on 8/9/2014From a warm welcome at the door, we were ushered to a comfortable table in a handsome dining room which was not loud by any means. We selected from the broad list of wines and unique craft beers and ordered the daily special bread basket assortment all of which was excellent. We all ordered different starters and main dishes, all of which were superb and beautifully arranged. I had the daily special of lamb prepared three ways. The desserts were amazing and everyone enjoyed their dessert (as well as those that were shared). The service was gracious throughout the whole time we were guests there. Our server, Darla, was amazing. I am already looking forward to my returning.Special Features:
- Fabulous!ElleDined on 8/7/2014My party of three dined here a couple nights ago and had the best server ever! I didn't get his name, but he is the one with glasses and I think he was bald. He was amazingly attentive and knowledgeable. We ordered the bread basket and the smoked trout starter. I could come back and make a meal of these by myself! The cheddar cracker was no big deal, but the lemon poppy seed sourdough will stay in my memory bank for a very long. As will the dill bread. I don't think there is anything I can say about the smoked trout that has not been said - get it! Main courses were the steak (okay, but not twice), gulf prawns (sauce and pasta were very special), and the duck (very good). We shared the cookie between us and it was terrific.Special Features:
- Outstanding in every way!soodleDined on 8/7/2014This was our first dining experience here but won't be our last. The staff was great and the food was just amazing. We shared the bread basket, which was an extra $5 but well worth it. We started with the smoked trout appetizer and the tomato soup. The soup was delicious and the trout was brilliant--perfectly done, with a wonderful horseradish sauce , beets, and fennel on a potato latke. For entrees, we had the flank steak and house made pasta with black truffles. Again perfect. Even though we were full, we couldn't resist trying the desserts and they were absolutely standouts--a fried peach pie with cinnamon crunch ice cream and a brown butter chocolate chip cookie with salted caramel ice cream and hot fudge. A standout all the way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodnutVIPDined on 8/4/2014We had a fabulous dinner -- pasta with black truffles was to die for -- and the service was exemplary. We received excellent assistance with the wine selection, a terrific Sancerre I will order again. The decor is beautiful ... chic, relaxed and understated. This restaurant is a rare combination of relaxed, neighborhood joint you want to return to often -- with food and service so outstanding it is also the ideal choice for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Monday Lamb Special was Delightful.FlyBearSFDined on 8/4/2014It's truly wonderful to have monday night specials to look forward to, and the most recent event (Aug. 4th) was another delightful event. I decided to have the pate appetizer, which was brilliant, paired with an italian white wine. My main course was equally spectacular (Lamb Sugo over pasta with fresh squash and italian cheese). I was quite stuffed afterwards, and had to forego dessert, but did manage to have another glass of the great French wine that was paired with the lamb sugo. I am so blessed to have this neighborhood gem to look forward to a pleasurable dining experience. Many thanks to all the staff that looked after me (including Ethan, Lori, Jeff, and the other wonderful staff). You truly pamper me and leave me very satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/2/2014Food was too expensive for what it was. Waiter constantly tried to get us to order additional items.
- Great food and wine listOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/31/2014My husband and I had our anniversary dinner here and loved it. The waitress gave us plenty of space as we hate to rush a good meal. The wine list had a great variety both on price and region. The tomato soup and cookie dessert were standouts but the duck and truffle pasta were also delicious. There was an entire truffle shaved over the pasta for a very reasonable price. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- marsVIPDined on 7/31/2014Great appetizers, especially the smoked trout. Our group had the flat iron steak, lamb, and duck entrees, which were all beautiful, as well as delicious. The cheese course was limited, but good. The chocolate chip cookie was over the top--no sweets needed for the rest of the week. The peach pie was a surprise, more like a turnover, but good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBroseVIPDined on 7/29/2014Dinner is outstanding with a short but varied selection of entrees. Outstanding early girl tomato soup with pardon peppers! Steak was amazing with sweet corn accents. Beautiful calamari appetizer and shrimp entree. Bread basket is fantastic so do order it! Our desserts were also great. I loved the chocolate chip cookie and the deconstructed peach pie was also tasty. Dark wood walls and dim lighting lend a romantic aura but the space also works with a business dinner because conversation feels private (no eavesdropping your neighbors' conversation).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2014My husband and I were on vacation for our 5th wedding anniversary. The meal was delicious and the wine selection was great. We were very pleased!Special Features:
- Lovely ambience and delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/18/2014But...they charge $5 for the bread basket and don't tell you. I know it's not a big deal but that just irked me to no end b/c I ended up paying $5 to eat 1/2 a piece of bread...but now I know and so I'll be sure to skip the next time I go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoxenDined on 7/17/2014We all enjoyed our food very much. The duck is amazing, and the "Toad in a Hole" is also very good. Desserts were outstanding: we tried them all! The best was the cookie, which I'm sure I'll not forget in a long time... and I am not a dessert person! The wine selection is great, although a little bit overpriced. The rest of the check was surprisingly not high at all. The only downside, in my opinion, is that it is too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and differentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/17/2014I really enjoyed the food at Baker & Banker - I'd heard a ton and been dying to try it. To start we shared the corn soup which they split for us in two bowls - I'm a HUGE corn soup fan and this did not disappoint. I also had the Toad in a hole which was the most INCREDIBLE vegetarian dish I'd personally ever had (I'm typically a carnivore). Last we finished with the fried peach pie... and halfway through we ordered another (seriously). Best dessert I ever had.Special Features:
- Love B&B and Monday SpecialsFlyBearSFDined on 7/14/2014I went for last monday's (14th July) nightly special, steak and frites, and it, per usual, was sensational. Ethan (my server) recommended the corn and lobster fritter soup, which I couldn't stop savoring. Lori and Jeff (owners) stopped by periodically to check on me (as did another server-Darla)..I feel so much at home when I come to this place, and truly hate it when the experience ends. Oh, and yes, the wine pairing was sensational (both sauvignon blanc and a french bordeaux). I don't normally do desserts, as I was pretty full, but had the strawberry shortcake, which was wonderful and artfully presented. Kudos to my favorite restaurant in SF for another great dinner event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recent DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2014The food is great, but the space itself is very drab. Adding a nice big bouquet of flowers on the wine bar, maybe a flower or two on each table, and some art work on the walls would make it more inviting and romantic. The interior is rather uninteresting unlike the food. Also, wines by the glass are very limited and expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Irish Friends were Wowed..FlyBearSFDined on 7/7/2014As a frequent patron to this charming establishment, I brought my two long time Irish friends here for dinner, and they were blown away by the extremely charming and forthright attention to detail and caring that these folks give to all their patrons, including us. We were showered and pampered with so much attention, but not to the point of obtrusion. Ethan, Mark and the sweet hostess and a few of the other servers (whom I don't know their names) were all charming and delightful. The special of the day didn't disappoint along with the 2 appetizers. The only disappointment was that we had to leave their presence and couldn't be pampered any further. My Irish friends said it was the highlight of their stay thus far in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/6/2014I know the restaurant has been opened for a few years but we only made it this year to try the food and were really impressed with how good the food was. The chef came out to meet his customers. We dined at this location when Quince was here and I really felt the food at Baker and Banker is so much better. It's less formal than when Quince was here which is nicer too. Folks came in jeans and dined here but I recommend business casual. I certainly plan to be back for special dining. Really good food and you can tell how carefully prepared everything was. The $5 extra if you want to try their bread basket is worth it.Special Features:
- EphskiDined on 7/5/2014Delicious food, friendly staff, did not have to wait long, would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChimaDined on 7/3/2014We were welcomed with a warm neighborly smile as soon as we entered the restaurant and were escorted to our table. I was very appreciative that they actually had made a note of our dietary restrictions and had already informed the kitchen. Our group ordered duck, salmon and mushroom. All three dishes were fantastic. The deserts were awesome and my companions almost skipped the meal to just dine on every desert on the menu. I will be definitely returning for another fantastic dinner/service. One request I have is for the restaurant to have gluten free bread available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming place, great mealJSernatDined on 6/30/2014We had a wonderful meal at Baker and Banker. Our waiter was just the right amount of attentive, knew the menu and wine list and made great recommendations. We had the lamb and the duck entrees. Just fantastic! Had to have the cookie and ice cream for dessert, don't miss that! The restaurant has a very charming, comfortable vibe. Really lovely.Special Features:
- TremendousThalloDined on 6/28/2014Excellent food top to bottom with an even better wine list.Special Features:
- Great food, staff, and ambianceAce2649Dined on 6/25/2014Baker and Banker is everything that it's hyped up to be and more! The staff was very attentive, even the Chef / Owners came around to say hello and make sure everyone's meals were outstanding. For my money I'd say that Baker and Banker is nearly on par with Gary Danko minus the cheese cart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Their Monday SpecialsFlyBearSFDined on 6/23/2014I went on monday the 23rd for their version of Southern Fried Chicken, and it didn't disappoint (again). I've had it once before, and it was truly succulent and juicy, and served over a bed of mashed potatoes/gravy (which could have been a little more) and their homemade slaw (yummy). My friend and I also had the hamachi appetizer, which was incredible as well. We couldn't get enough. We enlisted the help of the sommelier for a few suggestions on wine pairings, and we were amazed at what he came up with, as well. Ethan, our server, was incredible and paid attention to detail and made sure we were happy and content. Jeff (chef) came out to check to see if everything was to our satisfaction. All in all a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placejoeschmoeVIPDined on 6/22/2014I'd heard about this place before and definitely wanted to check it out with my significant other. I was there for work alone and didn't know when I'd be back - so I went ahead and tried it. For such a recognized restaurant, I would have expected it to be larger - but it was actually quite quaint and charming. I went on a Sunday evening, so it was quiet. The food was exceptional and the service was fantastic. Don't know what could have made this place better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014This was my first time to eat at Baker and Banker. The food was very good-rich flavors. The corn soup was great-a must get! The service was just okay. I was hoping for a bit more from our server-he wasn't very personal, more serious and didn't talk much to us at all. Cute, intimate restaurant with good energy :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bread and CookiesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014Not necessarily the drivers of the Roman mob, but we began with the artisanal breads and finished with the ice cream and chocolate covered cookie. The games began with a quick slaughter of the lettuce cloaked special. The Steak and Lamb gladiators fought gallantly next, a Spanish Tempranillo overseeing the whole of the coliseum. Pollice Verso. (Let's see you if you really know your latin...)Special Features:
- Neighborhood SpotMissvicVIPDined on 6/15/2014We can walk up the street, sit down and walk back down the hill totally satisfied - and I don't have to wash any dishes. I think this is becoming the new "Bucks" - lots of business people cutting deals, even on a Sunday night. Thus, quiet, and even those tables that brought children, these are children you want to be with - polite, quiet, well mannered, with parents who recognize you are in a public place and children shouldn't make the evening dinner anything but delightful! What a wonderful restaurant - the food and wine delicious, the attention to clients warm and friendly, and overall, a consistently wonderful night out. Keep watching the details and don't change!Special Features: