Baker and Banker
1701 Octavia Street
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Baker and Banker
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bakerandbanker.com/
- Phone: 4153512500x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Every night 5:30PM- 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jeff Banker
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for more details.
A word from Baker and Banker
Husband and wife team Lori Baker and Jeff Banker opened the doors to their Lower Pacific Heights restaurant in December 2009.The dining room, decorated with caramel colored walls and leather banquettes, sits in a historic turn of the century Victorian that once served as an apothecary. Chef Jeff Banker prepares seasonally driven New American cuisine that utilizes produce and meats sourced from local farms. Pastry Chef Lori Baker turns out hand crafted breads and sophisticated versions of classic American desserts. Our wine list has been carefully chosen to maximize the diners experience with a mix of Old and New World labels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Baker and Banker - Best Restaurants in Pacific Heights ›
Baker and Banker reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (104)neighborhood gem (99)special occasion (84)romantic (77)notable wine list (48)hot spot (12)good for groups (6)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- California Cookin'ChesterVIPDined on 10/17/2014The "special" bread basket doesn't come with the meal........ It is extra. Gee, Fig salad w/ one fig sliced in half? Very pretty, a smear of this and dab of that, but where is the there, there? Duck Breast...... again two pieces artfully placed and very rich. Good food doesn't need to be precious, even if the check is very precious
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/15/2014Sorry they are closing but this duo will definitely continue to contribute to amazing sf dining. Best of luck to them!Special Features:
- Savoring My Last Dining ExperiencesFlyBearSFDined on 10/13/2014Had to make sure I visit "the family" at B&B before they close their doors, so went on monday. I'd never had the cod fish with mirin and grilled bok chou, but it was truly sensational. I also had my usual smoke trout on latke's appetizer, which never disappoints. All the staff came by and warmly greeted me (including Chris, whom I've never met before). All in all, it was truly a wonderful meal and a great experience, of which I will stash in my "memory box" of all the great food experiences I've shared at this extraordinary neighborhood treasure that I'll truly miss.Special Features:
- Changing ownershipFridaDined on 10/11/2014My parents had been to B&B a year earlier and had a wonderful meal, so we had high hopes. Sadly, the food was uninspired. The fig salad used dried figs, the lamb puttanesca was an unfortunate combination of sour flavors. The only standout was the smoked trout appetizer and the service. As we walked in we noticed an application for change of ownership- so much can change in a year...
- Mostly Just RightjepacoVIPDined on 10/10/2014Baker and Banker is the kind of restaurant that is plentiful in Portland, OR or Chicago, but I have found few of in San Francisco, which is a comfortable place with excellent food at a reasonable price. I had a marvelous fresh fig salad that was American in approach with riffs on Greek or Turkish staples. Then I had a pork trio where the reference points were French, but still squarely American. The pork belly in that dish was much more fatty than usual, however. There was a nice, balanced wine list. The service was just right. It's a very loud room, but I would certainly come back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/8/2014I think this restaurant is resting on it's laurels a bit. First problem was a bad smell walking into the restaurant. That's never good. Dishes were all tasty but none of them were as hot (temperature-wise) as they should have been. The halibut was really beautifully seasoned, but again, not hot enough, as if it had been either sitting for a while before brought to the table or, worse yet, reheated. Lastly, I asked for a decaf cappuccino and am pretty sure I got a caffeinated one. Could not sleep at all the whole night following the dinner. That's a BAD mistake to make.
- Our waiter not attentivemtnman87Dined on 10/6/2014We like this restaurant very much despite the limited wine list. For whatever reason, our waiter was pretty much focused on other guests for our entire dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, ultimately disappointingmoonieDined on 9/27/2014We walked out of Baker and Banker after having a very tasty meal, but feeling still dissatisfied. The ambience is nice, the menu is good, and the service is responsive and efficient. However, there is a coldness to the place that doesn't bode well for me. Although we dine regularly in SF, we got the sense that they didn't care if we ever returned again. Despite our attempts for interactions with the staff, everything was quite dutiful and impersonal. For a neighborhood restaurant that is far from the tourists and the downtown expense account crowd, I think they need to do more to make people want to return and recommend this place. It could be great if they made people feel more welcome and valued.
- LOVED this restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/25/2014I chose Baker and Banker for my annual birthday dinner and I was not disappointed. Everything was wonderful from the ambiance to the food to the service. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't missSFeaterVIPDined on 9/25/2014Fantastic restaurant. One of the best in SF. Every bite was a delight. The steak was the best I've ever had and the duck a delight. Don't miss the chocolate chip cookie dessert.Special Features:
- Exceptional chicken dinner!DenVarDined on 9/22/2014This was a wonderful Restuarant to celebrate our wedding anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, Creative & Classic food!Lsb5Dined on 9/19/2014I made a reservation here, having heard about it for a couple years. When my friend and I arrived at 6:45 on a Friday, the restaurant was very quiet. By the time we left it was bustling pleasantly. The service was very personal and attentive. But the food was the standout. This was one of the best meals I've had in SF, from the short rib "smoke stacks," stuffed into eggplant skins that came with my perfectly done steak, to the pork roulade my friend had with her "pork three ways." Everything was delicious and remarkable, including the bread basket and the warm chocolate chip cookie dessert. Strongly recommended.Special Features:
- Exceeded ExpectationsSFesqDined on 9/18/2014Thank you Baker & Banker for making our 10th Wedding Anniversary dinner excellent. The food, and service was great. The bread did not disappoint. The duck was delightful. Mark, the sommelier, was not only knowledgeable but also very friendly. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- joy2dinejoy2dineDined on 9/16/2014always a pleasure- consistently amazing food- beautiful in presentation- dee-licious! bread basket is a must! Lori Baker greeted us and actually served our dinner this time! service is excellent- efficient and unobtrusive. I/we love this place. always a treat to know we may be going there for dinner.....Special Features:
- Service was excellent.theatergoerDined on 9/14/2014Met vegetarian requirement, e.g., soup, entree, sides. Trout starter was great, lamb ragu just average. Server poured a taste of the wine before ordering a full glass. One diner changed his order to a different wine. Cheque had to be requested because we were under a time constraint.Special Features:
- DisappointedOldfoodieDined on 9/13/2014Dined here in June and couldn't wait to go back. Went on Sat for hubby's 60th bday. The sommelier is awesome-approachable, knowledgeable, and passionate about the selection. Don't miss the bread basket. Starters of smoked trout and fig salad were outstanding. Unfortunately, the lamb sugo and macaroni was so salty, it was almost inedible. The strawberry cheesecake/shortcake was ridiculous, consisting of a plate of 2 little squares of each with slices of what I guess were freeze dried strawberries and dots of strawberry syrup and a tablespoon of ice cream. What? Service was acceptable but lackluster; questions were answered perfunctorily, with no passion or enthusiasm. All this for more than $110 pp. I wanted so much more.Special Features:
- Awesome findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014I've been twice and loved it both times. I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves good food and wine. Very affordable as well.Special Features:
- Fantastic MealsliapisDined on 8/30/2014I took my partner here for his birthday and it was a really great decision. The place is small but intimate and modern. The staff was amazing. And most importantly the food is delicious. GET THE BREAD! The plates are inventive and gorgeous. Will definitely be going back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED this restaurant!anabananaVIPDined on 8/29/2014I was flying out of the country late at night so my husband and I stayed in SF after work and tried Baker & Banker. What a wonderful surprise! From the outside it doesn't look like a restaurant. Inside it has high ceilings, dark wood and beautiful booths - simple, but elegant. I loved the quiet, understated atmosphere. The service was just fantastic. Not at all intrusive, and yet I had the sense that the waitstaff could read my mind. And the food...the food. My god! Fantastic. My husband and I eat out every Tuesday evening and on the weekends, and he is a fantastic cook, so I'm a bit spoiled and can get disappointed easily. But this was just wonderful. Everything was beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. Thank you!!!Special Features:
- Need bigger portionsMaplenessVIPDined on 8/26/2014But each plate was quite tasty. No faults with service.Special Features:
- Great experienceJeffDined on 8/25/2014We went on Monday night and enjoyed a Monday Night Special pork-fest as our main. The restaurant was very gracious in allowing us to share a meal (we're both small eaters). Service was unobtrusive and matched our style. The food was prompt but not rushed and the flavors were impeccable. Do opt for the $5 bread basket. There were some lovely flavors in there and their homemade butter is fantastic.Special Features:
- Nice placeJojoDined on 8/24/2014Everything was great. Nous y retournerons et surtout en parlerons à nos amis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousEHF123Dined on 8/23/2014doesn't look like a restaurant from outside, but inside is elegant, a bit dark, but pleasant. The food is delicious and beautifully presented. Beware the bread basket is addictive. We took a special bottle of wine and paid the corkage so cannot comment on the wine list. Although the menu is limited the meal was excellent, although one of the entrees was quite a small portion - not much bigger than the appetizers. Overall a fine meal.Special Features:
- good foodmailboxDined on 8/19/2014A great menu and eclectic food combination. Dessert menu is so loaded it was hard to choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday Specials, truly special..FlyBearSFDined on 8/11/2014I came for the seafood risotto, which per usual, didn't disappoint. The flavor of fennel and rich savory seafood broth helped to make this a winner. I also had my favorite starter, the smoked trout latkes with horseradish cream sauce-(truly incredible). The wine pairing always is perfect and I chose cheese for dessert. The staff has become like family and always treats me like family. Coming here is always the highlight of my day and week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Cuisine & Gracious ServiceJBayDined on 8/9/2014From a warm welcome at the door, we were ushered to a comfortable table in a handsome dining room which was not loud by any means. We selected from the broad list of wines and unique craft beers and ordered the daily special bread basket assortment all of which was excellent. We all ordered different starters and main dishes, all of which were superb and beautifully arranged. I had the daily special of lamb prepared three ways. The desserts were amazing and everyone enjoyed their dessert (as well as those that were shared). The service was gracious throughout the whole time we were guests there. Our server, Darla, was amazing. I am already looking forward to my returning.Special Features:
- Fabulous!ElleVIPDined on 8/7/2014My party of three dined here a couple nights ago and had the best server ever! I didn't get his name, but he is the one with glasses and I think he was bald. He was amazingly attentive and knowledgeable. We ordered the bread basket and the smoked trout starter. I could come back and make a meal of these by myself! The cheddar cracker was no big deal, but the lemon poppy seed sourdough will stay in my memory bank for a very long. As will the dill bread. I don't think there is anything I can say about the smoked trout that has not been said - get it! Main courses were the steak (okay, but not twice), gulf prawns (sauce and pasta were very special), and the duck (very good). We shared the cookie between us and it was terrific.Special Features:
- Outstanding in every way!soodleDined on 8/7/2014This was our first dining experience here but won't be our last. The staff was great and the food was just amazing. We shared the bread basket, which was an extra $5 but well worth it. We started with the smoked trout appetizer and the tomato soup. The soup was delicious and the trout was brilliant--perfectly done, with a wonderful horseradish sauce , beets, and fennel on a potato latke. For entrees, we had the flank steak and house made pasta with black truffles. Again perfect. Even though we were full, we couldn't resist trying the desserts and they were absolutely standouts--a fried peach pie with cinnamon crunch ice cream and a brown butter chocolate chip cookie with salted caramel ice cream and hot fudge. A standout all the way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodnutVIPDined on 8/4/2014We had a fabulous dinner -- pasta with black truffles was to die for -- and the service was exemplary. We received excellent assistance with the wine selection, a terrific Sancerre I will order again. The decor is beautiful ... chic, relaxed and understated. This restaurant is a rare combination of relaxed, neighborhood joint you want to return to often -- with food and service so outstanding it is also the ideal choice for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Monday Lamb Special was Delightful.FlyBearSFDined on 8/4/2014It's truly wonderful to have monday night specials to look forward to, and the most recent event (Aug. 4th) was another delightful event. I decided to have the pate appetizer, which was brilliant, paired with an italian white wine. My main course was equally spectacular (Lamb Sugo over pasta with fresh squash and italian cheese). I was quite stuffed afterwards, and had to forego dessert, but did manage to have another glass of the great French wine that was paired with the lamb sugo. I am so blessed to have this neighborhood gem to look forward to a pleasurable dining experience. Many thanks to all the staff that looked after me (including Ethan, Lori, Jeff, and the other wonderful staff). You truly pamper me and leave me very satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/2/2014Food was too expensive for what it was. Waiter constantly tried to get us to order additional items.
- Great food and wine listOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/31/2014My husband and I had our anniversary dinner here and loved it. The waitress gave us plenty of space as we hate to rush a good meal. The wine list had a great variety both on price and region. The tomato soup and cookie dessert were standouts but the duck and truffle pasta were also delicious. There was an entire truffle shaved over the pasta for a very reasonable price. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- marsVIPDined on 7/31/2014Great appetizers, especially the smoked trout. Our group had the flat iron steak, lamb, and duck entrees, which were all beautiful, as well as delicious. The cheese course was limited, but good. The chocolate chip cookie was over the top--no sweets needed for the rest of the week. The peach pie was a surprise, more like a turnover, but good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBroseVIPDined on 7/29/2014Dinner is outstanding with a short but varied selection of entrees. Outstanding early girl tomato soup with pardon peppers! Steak was amazing with sweet corn accents. Beautiful calamari appetizer and shrimp entree. Bread basket is fantastic so do order it! Our desserts were also great. I loved the chocolate chip cookie and the deconstructed peach pie was also tasty. Dark wood walls and dim lighting lend a romantic aura but the space also works with a business dinner because conversation feels private (no eavesdropping your neighbors' conversation).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2014My husband and I were on vacation for our 5th wedding anniversary. The meal was delicious and the wine selection was great. We were very pleased!Special Features:
- Lovely ambience and delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/18/2014But...they charge $5 for the bread basket and don't tell you. I know it's not a big deal but that just irked me to no end b/c I ended up paying $5 to eat 1/2 a piece of bread...but now I know and so I'll be sure to skip the next time I go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoxenDined on 7/17/2014We all enjoyed our food very much. The duck is amazing, and the "Toad in a Hole" is also very good. Desserts were outstanding: we tried them all! The best was the cookie, which I'm sure I'll not forget in a long time... and I am not a dessert person! The wine selection is great, although a little bit overpriced. The rest of the check was surprisingly not high at all. The only downside, in my opinion, is that it is too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and differentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/17/2014I really enjoyed the food at Baker & Banker - I'd heard a ton and been dying to try it. To start we shared the corn soup which they split for us in two bowls - I'm a HUGE corn soup fan and this did not disappoint. I also had the Toad in a hole which was the most INCREDIBLE vegetarian dish I'd personally ever had (I'm typically a carnivore). Last we finished with the fried peach pie... and halfway through we ordered another (seriously). Best dessert I ever had.Special Features:
- Love B&B and Monday SpecialsFlyBearSFDined on 7/14/2014I went for last monday's (14th July) nightly special, steak and frites, and it, per usual, was sensational. Ethan (my server) recommended the corn and lobster fritter soup, which I couldn't stop savoring. Lori and Jeff (owners) stopped by periodically to check on me (as did another server-Darla)..I feel so much at home when I come to this place, and truly hate it when the experience ends. Oh, and yes, the wine pairing was sensational (both sauvignon blanc and a french bordeaux). I don't normally do desserts, as I was pretty full, but had the strawberry shortcake, which was wonderful and artfully presented. Kudos to my favorite restaurant in SF for another great dinner event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recent DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2014The food is great, but the space itself is very drab. Adding a nice big bouquet of flowers on the wine bar, maybe a flower or two on each table, and some art work on the walls would make it more inviting and romantic. The interior is rather uninteresting unlike the food. Also, wines by the glass are very limited and expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.