311 Washington Blvd.
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292Neighborhood:
Marina del Rey
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Baja Cantina - Marina del Rey
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bajacantina.com/
- Phone: 3108212252
- Hours of Operation:
Weekend Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Daily Lunch: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Nightly Dinner: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Bar open until 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Traditional Mexican, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Mauro Cuevas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We can cater any party from a small house party to a huge corporate event. Check out our banquet and catering menu for items.
Baja Cantina is the original Oaxacan style restaurant in the Marina Del Rey/ Venice area. Baja opened in 1975 and has been a landmark for locals ever since. Owners Pat and Gina Phinny have created a unique establishment with an outstanding cuisine and one of a kind ambiance. Whether you're in the mood for a delicious meal or a relaxing cocktail on the patio, Baja is the place for you!
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
- yummy outweighs parking headacheEva0801VIPDined on 9/6/2014parking issues are outweighed by the wonderful food! great service! surprisingly nice & friendly customer base. Nice fun additions to the menu for foodies - the crab omelet was well crafted.Special Features:
- KKMdRDined on 8/31/2014Love this cool neighborhood joint. Holiday weekend crowd and clearly holiday wait and bar staff not up to the task.Special Features:
- Great find for Mexican!DisneyRunnerDined on 8/28/2014The food was delicious and the servings were huge! Parking is tight but valet saves the day. Great with kids & helpful with allergies. Would love to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One small disappointmentculvercitydinersDined on 8/26/2014When we checked in the hostess told us we could not have an outdoor table because we had not reserved one. No mention is made of this on the Open Table reservation form. Their is a place for special requests but nothing telling you that you must reserve the patio specifically. The inside of the Cantina is rather dark and for a BD Celebration not lively enough. The patio is the place to be! Next time I will call the Cantina directly.Special Features:
- The following 65 reviews are from the Baja Cantina - Marina del Rey reviews archive.
- Bad ServiceSrd1Dined on 6/5/2014Extremely upset at comment from waitress. We put sunglasses down on table, literally 30-40 sec. later, they were gone. Waitress saw them on table, thought they were from previous customer, ran to their car and gave it to them. As we were waking to Mgr., she says to us, "Well why did you leave them there?," trying to put the blame on us for leaving them there. Whoevers fault it was, it wasn't up to her to make that comment, we were upset already about losing the sunglasses, and that comment really just upset us more. What a way to put damper on start of our evening. Thankfully, Mgr. offered to buy us a new pr. Also, when time to leave, hadn't seen her for 25 minutes, had to find her to pay bill.Ttotally unacceptable! Love food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible service and OK foodBillVIPDined on 5/11/2014One of the worst experiences in a restaurant for Mother's Day. Bad service and a horrible waitress who took no responsibility for anything. All she did was blame all the problems on the kitchen, the computer, the busboy, the hostess and on and on. I would not return ever because the food was just OK. Straight or of the can mexican. PS - the waitress only had about four tables max! You could get better tasting and more authentic mexican at Del Taco.
- New SpotYummyDined on 5/9/2014Friends and I were looking for a new spot to mix n mingle and have our bi-monthly check-ins. We found this place via yelp reviews. We all enjoyed our plates, combination plates of the enchiladas and tacos were delicious. Coconut rice was yummy!! Ordered the albondigos soup and shrimp chipotle quesadialla both of which were very tasty and filling. Lastly, we were not too thrilled on the margaritas, didn't taste or feel a lick of the alcohol. But overall our waiter was very kind...attentive. Our seats were wayyy in the back by the restroom, didn't find that setting to appealing. Nevertheless we enjoyed the food and when we do go back we would request different seats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmosphereLove2eatDined on 5/3/2014The food was excellent on both occasions we ate there. The only downside after drinking at the bar and had a great time on the Friday lunchtime we decided to eat later on the beer was extremley flat despite letting the server know. However the food made up for it so we booked again for following night, the beer was better so hopefully it was a glitch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local placeblessDined on 4/14/2014While my daughter and I were in the Marina Del Rey area we were looking for some Mexican food and the hotel recommended this restaurant. The food was veyr good and quick and I would definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!MerCysVIPDined on 4/12/2014Our first time visiting (thank you, Open Table) and it was love at first bite. The four of us walked about with both happy tummies and a happy wallet. Can't wait to return for brunch.Special Features:
- Pathetic MargaritasNewMexicanVIPDined on 3/13/2014Food was good but the Margaritas pathetic (both rocks and frozen). If a bottle of Tequila ever inhabited the same ZIP code as the drinks we were served (at $7.50 each during Happy Hour), I'd be astonished.
- Nice placeThinkblue77Dined on 2/14/2014We enjoyed our romantic Valentines Day dinner for 2 here. We'll be coming back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time Fish TacosbobcDined on 1/31/2014Dinner with daughter and son in law. A favorite restaurant in the Marina. Never have had fish tacos before but just felt like something lighter for dinner. Two very generously filled corn tortillas filled with all the usual, plus large pieces of fresh fish. Absolutely wonderful. A small salad accompanied, also very good. The fish, the tomato, lettuce, w a bit of cilantro added, along with diced mango. Just terrific. That along with a margarita and chips and guacamole. Life is grand. The waitress, whose name I have forgotten, was the best. Attentive and friendly. Great customer service as always at this Marina neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulmagicfingers31Dined on 1/14/2014Had a excellent time..first time...but will go back soon. Wanna try happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/28/2013My daughter and I celebrated her birthday there. The food was excellent. Portions were big, so plan to share. Try the tropical rice! The best part of our experience was undoubtedly the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just ThatLaLaDined on 12/1/2013As always the servers are amazing, food process is quick, and the drinks are always great. I've come with a few friends to talk business and the waiters ha e always given us privacy with was generousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Mexican RestaurantStanDined on 11/12/2013We had a great evening out at Baja Cantina. Food was very tasty, huge Burritos and good service. Lighting was a little dark.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I went for lunch.great2lunchDined on 9/23/2013My wife and I went for lunch. Was not crowded. Although it has plenty of space outside and inside. Our waitress Was excellent and had a great name Itzayana. The food was excellent, my wife the here tacos and she enjoyed and took one home, and I had the nachos with chicken and was excellent plenty of chesses and other things chicken and beans, etc. This was our second time there and was just as enjoyable as our first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Baja Cantina! The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/21/2013I love Baja Cantina! The food is very good and the service is always prompt. The decor is fun and festive. The bar/restaurant can get quite busy on a Friday or Saturday night (or game days)Special Features:
- Great ExperienceKubiDined on 5/14/2013The chip and salsa were awesome. My entree Mango Enchiladas was so yummy with a touch of coconut. That is to die for. I enjoy everything. The waiter was very honest and he took care of us. Didn't catch his name but he was awesome. Will be back.Special Features:
- The food and service wereEDWARDVIPDined on 5/9/2013The food and service were both good at this festive Mexican restaurant located close to Venice Beach. I enjoyed my enchiladas and taco while my son and his friend enjoyed a chicken burrito and carnitas. The chips and salsa were plentiful and the waitress made sure that everything was to our satisfaction. Baja Cantinas is a good choice for an inexpensive yet tasty Mexican meal.Special Features:
- Great hostess staff...honoredlocalVIPDined on 4/21/2013Great hostess staff...honored open table reservation...even though they were very busy with a wait...waiter was very nice and helpful...
- Bad Mgr, Great staff and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/13/2013Upon arrival and telling the seating person of our reservaton on Open Table, the Mgr. came over and was quite rude saying "I blocked all that time off. They shouldn't have been able to make that reservation." Even though we were on time for our reservation, we were then told by the manager that we would have to wait at least 30 minutes. The seating person then stepped in and told the Mgr. that she could fit us in and did so right away. Thank god for the seating person as we have a 4 month old child and this is why we make reservations. We are not picky about our seats, just the food and were seated, served, and left within that same 30 minute period. Overall, love this place but that Manager should read this review.Special Features:
- I love this place! Best moleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/30/2013I love this place! Best mole around in my opinion.Special Features:
- Good, but not great MexicanMBCalgaryDined on 3/7/2013Good, but not great Mexican food near Venice Beach. Inexpensive and generous margaritas. Fast service. We've been here twice and would go again. It gets rowdy later on, but it's okay for families earlier in the evening.Special Features:
- strange comments by hostOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/12/2013All good but had a strange comment from the host, he said that they keep only one table for "Open Table" reservations (and it was a poor table in the walk way)and that normally we would have to wait for a better table. Also something about "Open Table" patrons who have paid to use the site for reservations get better tables. Very strange comments and it would be nice to get some sort of clarification on this.Special Features:
- No cons, so many "pros" elsewhereCulinaryVIPDined on 12/27/2012The people are nice and the service is okay. Nothing extraordinary, and no complaints. The food was the same -- nothing breathtaking, and not back. I wouldn't recommend this place because there are so many excellent choices in Los Angeles. Nothing against Baja Cantina, there are no "cons," there are just so many "pros" elsewhere.Special Features:
- Baja Cantina, Marina Del Rey CAOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2012Consistently one of the best Mexican restaurants in Los Angeles. Clever eclectic menu, mix of new and traditional, lots of choice for the non-Mexican food afficionado.Special Features:
- Amazing service. My car overheatedNewMamaVIPDined on 12/5/2012Amazing service. My car overheated n the bartender jumped to my aid. The mgr n waitstaff kept us laughing without interrupting our time together. They were fun, funny, n courteous. They have a happy hour menu with great TexMex options n good prices. I devoured one of each taco options n chili cheese fries appetizer.Special Features:
- The day we were there it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/5/2012The day we were there it was a bit quiet due to the rain so we set inside. Outdoor seating at this restaurant is great for people watching and nice days. They have just released a new menu and the fish tacos I had that day were great! I have been going to Baja Cantina for years and I always enjoy going there. This dining experience was great as always.Special Features:
- A cut above the typical chain-mexSurfBumDined on 8/10/2012A cut above the typical chain-mex (El Torito, Acapulco, etc.) with their own take on typical Mexican fare, and a few things of their own. Some of the seating is a bit cramped. Friendly staff. Good margaritas. When seated outside, the street noise can – as on this summer day – detract from the desired effect of patio dining.
- Fun haven't been there inOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/7/2012Fun haven't been there in a long time. Food was greaterSpecial Features:
- Fabulous guacamole and chips!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/12/2012Fabulous guacamole and chips! Our little group enjoyed ourselves and our service as great.Special Features:
- Ambience, food good, Service TBD...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/9/2012Food was fine for a tiki/mexican place to watch games. Service was really bad and unattentive. had to ask for everything and waited over 20min from sitting down before we could track our waitress down as she was MIA from the whole patio. I think this might be hit or miss though and we just got a bad one as the other 2 servers seemed ever present and helpful for the other tables.
- The service was good, theWLNOVIPDined on 5/2/2012The service was good, the waiter was attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- No sizzle to the fajitas...smallmaliburonVIPDined on 4/27/2012No sizzle to the fajitas...small portion of guacumole...charged for additional...Baja used to be a great place you could count on...Pat (owner) must not be coming around anymore.
- Food was very good servicegreat2lunchDined on 4/22/2012Food was very good service was very good nice place seems to be the locals hang out and can see whySpecial Features:
- Yummy and Visual AppealingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/21/2012Eclectic seating in a myriad of cool spaces in this large restaurant. Inside/outside/barside/fireside - it had it all. The food was really yummy and so were the chips and salsa. Fun for a group on a little date in a lively place.Special Features:
- Baja Cantina gets 5 starsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/15/2012We had a wonderful dining experience at Baja Cantina! We were treated extremely well by all of the staff. They were very attentive and served us like we were special guests! It is a perfect place to celebrate, especially for birthdays. They made my daughter's 10th a true success.They have great outdoor dining areas with the wonderful ocean air adding to the fun atmosphere of the restaurant. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- We made reservations for eight,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/1/2012We made reservations for eight, then only five showed up. Baja was very cordial about the situation and it was appreciated very much. The food and service were excellent, and the group cannot wait to go again. Thank you Baja!Special Features: