Bait and Hook
231 Second Avenue
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Bait and Hook
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.baitandhooknyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 260-8015
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday: 12:00pm -11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 12:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Bait and Hook
Bait & Hook is a comfort food-based restaurant that offers a laid-back, relaxed atmosphere where seafood is the star. Diners can enjoy a reasonably priced meal without compromising high-end, quality cuisine and service. Bait & Hook provides the perfect destination for a quick bite,affordable date or a group gathering, with something on the menu to please everyone in your party as it includes non-seafood items as well as vegetarian options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bait and Hook reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (7)neighborhood gem (7)great for outdoor dining (6)hot spot (6)great for lunch (5)fit for foodies (4)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)romantic (1)Show More
- This place was fun!PartyplannermeDined on 11/5/2014We ordered the Baja fish taco, the shrimp and grits and the warm blue crab dip and they were all a hit! I'd definitely go back with friends and or coworkers and even my family. The scene was really warm and cozy but also a great fun bar scene. Seems like a neighborhood favorite and I could definitely see why. It was a great time with awesome food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good; noise unbearableFoodiesearchingfordignityDined on 10/24/2014I had the cod which was excellent. And the house wine was quite decent and reasonably priced. Perhaps it would be good for lunch--we went at 6:20 on a Friday evening. Even before it became crowded they played music extremely loud. It may be best to go when one can sit outside and just have to put up with street noise. The waitress was as accommodating as she could be, given the situation.Special Features:
- Great service Great valuescottyVIPDined on 10/10/2014The staff was very friendly and attentive… The lobster rolls were fantastic with above average portions for the price point. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mehkaitmcrheaVIPDined on 10/9/2014food was okay. more of a bar than a restaurant. nothing special
- Dollar Oysters !catattackVIPDined on 9/23/2014Best place for dollar oysters, hands down (: We had some nice huge oysters mixed in with their more average-sized brethren. Only issue was that our server seemed super-stoned, which made it really hard to get his attention to have our water filled/take additional orders, etc. Otherwise, definitely enjoyed all the happy hour specials and will definitely be back!Special Features:
- explorerDined on 9/18/2014Great place for a drink and seafood. The happy hour oysters were very good and so were the spicy calamari. Great place to sit outside, generally quiet. A great dinning option in that neighborhood that's good and not very expensive without being trashy.Special Features:
- Bait And Crook?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014The ambiance in this place is more like a sports bar, than a full service seafood restaurant. There were 4 or 5 servers all sitting around doing nothing because there were only 5 other diners when I walked in. They sat me at the bar because I was alone. The bartender was great. He was very attentive until it got crowded at the bar only, which I can't blame him for. I had the New England Clam Chowder and the Lobster Mac And Cheese. The chowder was an interesting take of this dish with bacon and a few others in it. It was very runny, and not creamy, but really good. The lobster Mac was awful. The lobster was poorly cooked, and the Mac and cheese was a joke. They should learn how to make mac and cheese from Saritas Mac And Cheese (S'mac).Special Features:
- The following 8 reviews are from the Bait and Hook reviews archive.
- linaDined on 7/23/2014I will be going back..The food was outstanding. We had mussles. And for entrepreneurs the salmon. ..I'm so going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014Limited menu selection. Great food and excellent services.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place. order the crab dipLisaBDined on 5/25/2014The crab dip is great. The drinks weren't my favorite and the music was pretty loud (so maybe not great for a 1st date) but the food was great and so was the service. Great place if you'd like an affordable lobster roll in Manhattan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HANG UPtropicalVIPDined on 5/18/2014MY ONLY HANG UP IS THE WEB MENU DIDNT QUITE MATCH THE ACTUAL MENU ALOT OF THINGS ARE NO LONGER ON THE MENU AND I WAS DISAPPOINTED SEEING AS I PRE PICKED WHAT I WAS HAVING, BASED ON THE ONLINE MENU.. IN ANY CASE WHAT I DID HAVE WAS DELICIOUS. THE PARMESAN GRITS ARE DELISH!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bar with foodqginVIPDined on 5/3/2014The fish on the limited menu is good, but they exist as a bar not as a restaurant. It's bar food with a lean to the sea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/26/2014Read a few negative reviews on yelp, but some good ones on opentable so we decided to try it. Decor is pub like and the fish is some of the freshest I've ever had. Calamari Kung pow was out of this world and my salmon was cooked to perfection and had a great glaze. The cod was very good too, but when we go back it will be for the salmon and calamari. Waitstaff was extremely friendly too. Will beSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant not openclosedVIPDined on 4/26/2014made a reservation and showed up at 12pm for brunch. the doors were locked! knocked for 15minutes but no one showed up
- Great Fish and ChipsBrionVIPDined on 1/10/2014This is a low key neighborhood place, with nicely prepared fish and chips. The quality of the fish was very good and it was nicely fried without being too greasy. The beer selection is also good, with some regional and local brews on tap. The wait staff were friendly and personable. When it's not crowded, the atmosphere is pretty relaxed. There are monitors to catch a game and a large bar area, so I imagine during big game days it may be less accessible. But generally I get the impression it's not too crowded and a rather easy and accessible place to go for a good bite to eat when not in the mood to dress up.I would recommend this to a friend.