108 West 2nd Street #104
Los Angeles, CA 90012Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.badmaashla.com/
- Phone: 2132217466x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Monday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Tuesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Wednesday: 5:30 - 11:00pm
Thursday: 5:30 - Midnight
Friday: 5:30 - Midnight
Saturday: 5:00 - Midnight
Sunday: 5:00 - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Contemporary Indian, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Chef Pawan Mahendro
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: ask us about catering options! let us take care of everything!
- Private Party Contact: Badmaash 2132217466x
A word from Badmaash
BADMAASH is an indian gastropub in DTLA.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Badmaash - Best Restaurants in Little Tokyo ›
Badmaash reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)neighborhood gem (58)hot spot (41)good for groups (28)great for lunch (25)late-night find (22)special occasion (15)romantic (9)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Eclectic, inventiveEnlitenedmidnightDined on 10/24/2014Really enjoyed it. Our family is always looking for ethnic restaurants that dare to be inventive and different. This is clearly one. We all said "we must be back to this place", especially when we come to the Ahmanson theater: we have season tickets and it is always hard to find interesting, quirky restaurants around that area of town. The service was cheery and helpful, the food was crisp, spicy and VERY tasty, and the decor is edgy and youthful, the kind of place you leave feeling a few years younger! I am a big Gandhi fan, but even I loved the big BW irreverent pictures of the master upstairs with warholy colored glasses!Special Features:
- Indian Food with a TwistKateDined on 10/18/2014Went here with some girlfriends for a birthday dinner. We ordered a few things for the table (including the poutine). Everything was delicious and easy to share. Portion sizes were a bit small though. Would recommend ordering an extra dish or two if you're all sharing. Food came out very quickly, felt a little rushed. Service was good though, very attentive and nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Badmaash is Amazingluv2dineVIPDined on 10/18/2014Absolutely AMAZING!! The BEST Indian food I have had...the service & staff are GREAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Badmaash - Best Indian Gastropub LAOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Definitely worth a visit!!! Must orders: Spiced Lamb Burger, Samosas, Badass Tandoori Chicken, Butter chicken, chicken tikka Poutine, mango lassi, and so much more! Great & Friendly Service! Fast turnaround time for lunch and dinner! Get you in and out to make the meter parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian food with a twistonebiteDined on 10/10/2014I've been a few times, but haven't been back in while. We were really pleased with our experience. Having traveled India extensively, I can say the food here is spiced authentically, but with a definite western twist making the food interesting, and fun! Service was great! Food is a bit overpriced given the portions. But, if you think of it as Indian tapas (like every tapas place in LA) then I don't think the food is unreasonably priced. We got two starters, naan, two basmati rices, and two entrees and were positively stuffed.Special Features:
- Extremely authenticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014There is good indian food and then there is Badmassh.....you can tell they care and are passionate about what they serve....I would definitely Rec this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumm!biscuittVIPDined on 10/5/2014we went after ciclavia right at 5 when it opened. super cute place. sat upstairs. great art and posters the food was delicious. creative items w/ tons of flavorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing bad about BadmaashTdotEaterDined on 9/28/2014I visited Badmaash upon glowing recommendation by my chef friend in Toronto, Canada and he was absolutely spot on! The staff are welcoming and friendly, the space was two levels and cosy and the food was outstanding! We had and order each of the beef and butter chicken samosas to start with lovely beer. They were perfection and a nice twist on original style samosas I am used to (they also have original samosas on the menu). Then we dug into the lamb burger (spicy and perfectly juicy), the chicken tikka poutine (my Canadian fav) and the tikka masala which was my favourite dish of them all! Everything here is great so go nuts and don't forget to enjoy all the art on the walls while you're there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yesssssavb79VIPDined on 9/26/2014This is one of our favorites! The menu is broad enough that there's always something new to try, & IT IS ALL AMAZING.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Downtown FindOscafelVIPDined on 9/19/2014It is not easy finding great Indian food in LA...but this is a wonderful little neighborhood gem. The food is just delicious, and every dish has a twist to it which shows it is the creation of a talented chef, not an inexperienced cook. My only complaint is that the chicken is all dark meat, but every dish I've had has been absolutely delicious. The atmosphere is fun and hip, without being self conscious, and I found service to be outstanding. They have assembled a great staff. I love this place and cannot recommend it highly enough---perfect later spot, too. Don't miss this wonderful, change-of-pace restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMMMM!markdmarcVIPDined on 9/13/2014I love this place. I've been here 3-4 times and everytime we have a great time and great food! It's just a cool vibe and the food is really great Indian food. It's just fun and highly recommended....Special Features:
- Indian Food DelightSP67Dined on 9/7/2014Warning - the food is a bit spicy. However, that being said, the food is totally delicious. For sure, all our senses were exploding with joy. The portions are small. We went with friends and we ordered many plates and shared. This is one of the first restaurants in a long time that we had so much fun trying new dishes. The restaurant is a "hole in the wall" find. The service was great too.Special Features:
- Great placeSimonsVIPDined on 9/6/2014This place is amazing - great food, excellent service and very innovative items on the menu. I highly recommend this restaurant to foodies as well as to people who like to have a great dining experience.Special Features:
- in food loveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/5/2014never fails in service or food. took some friends here for first time Indian food adventuring and made a convert of our friend. Aside from enjoying each others company and great service, we got him to experience some great food that he now loves. Thanks Badmaash for never letting us down!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/4/2014I went on a Thursday night and hated everything about the restaurant. The neighborhood was sketchy, the restaurant itself was not upto standard, service was slow and sub-par and overall the food lacked flavor. The chicken tikka kebab tasted like boiled chicken with little flavoring. The entrees were disappointing and the tandoori roti was hard as brick. The owner has a good story and I had been wanting to go for a while, but I won't be ever going back.
- Indian goes fancysamsaraDined on 9/3/2014My friends and I loved our dinner here. The food was so good, our service impeccable, and the decor was fun with the old Bollywood posters. Keep in mind that they are pretty strict on the reservation window so make sure you can all get there on time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodColeTrainDined on 8/27/2014This restaurant offered us great food at great prices. We were very happy with the experience we had here and can't wait to return.Special Features:
- UKrainUKrainVIPDined on 8/23/2014It's a shame this restaurant doesn't operate in a bigger space. The dishes are bursting with flavour and innovative. LA doesn't have the best selection for indian food, so Badmaash compensates. Try the Butter chicken. It is a combination of the classic dish mixed with methi, a herb that needs more PR in the west for it's flavour and ayurvedic properties. The lamb vindaloo is spicy and again Badmaash does a good job of modernising this dish while keeping it close to the original. The service is second to none and the waiters and waitresses explain and recommend the food with authenticity.Special Features:
- A fun take on Indian classics.ruthmorrisDined on 8/21/2014Great to see Indian cuisine reconfigured here with some novel twists that don't stray too far from what makes Indian food so delicious. The samosas are out of this world.Special Features:
- excellent Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Hard to get tasty Indian food in Los Angeles. This place is a find. Delicious food, imaginative menu, great service. Can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just excellent !malibudiningDined on 8/11/2014Inventive and delicious. This place is very cool. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian Food LoverFunNightDined on 8/10/2014I live right around the corner and was excited about this new spot in my neighborhood. This place has always looked busy and as an Indian food aficionado (i.e. dozens of Indian weddings and honorary ISU member), I had to try this new spot. With that said, I usually go with the traditional stuff my first time at a restaurant. Hoping that I found a local spot to get some good Butter Chicken, I was sadly disappointed. There was barely any cream in the sauce - overly tomato-y (is that a word?). The rice and the naan were separate orders and although the waiter and the service was excellent, the food was just ehhh - mediocre at best.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/10/2014Little too pricey for Indian Food, but great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food/hectic environmentlive2eatDined on 8/9/2014The traditional and fusion dishes were very flavorful. The mussels in a coconut curry sauce and the butter chicken were stand outs. The lamb vindaloo had a great sauce too and super spicy (and I can eat very spicy foods). The portions are smaller and the price is higher than traditional Indian restaurants. It's a very small restaurant and very popular so need reservations. The service is good but being very busy it feels very hectic and you can only order once we weren't allowed to add on any items after the initial order.Special Features:
- Great DTLA spot!VegasfoodieDined on 8/8/2014We saw Badmaash on the Food Network and decided to make it a destination for our LA vacation. We were not dissapointed. The butter chicken and samosas were fantastic. The service was great. The owner took his time to come out and make sure we enjoyed our food/visit. I've already recommended to a few locals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super BadShodo13VIPDined on 8/6/2014Badmaash was, as always, super-good! We had the Pickled veg dish, with Samosa's to start - awesome. Then the Butter Chicken and Saag Paneer - double awesome. So good and so flavorful. Great atmosphere and great servers - everyone always seems to be happy here. Gotta love that too, its just as important as the food. We've been several times, and we'll be back again I'm sure.Special Features:
- One of the best ....JasmeerDined on 7/26/2014This is one of the best ever Indian food I had in USA. This took me all the way back to India, how good actually the food tastes there. We had few things before our night at Edison and this is a great find. I would highly recommend this place. Butter chicken is awesome.Special Features:
- DeliciousSunshyneyVIPDined on 7/26/2014We came for Restaurant week and ordered off the Dine LA menu. My favorite was of course the Ice Cream Sammiches, but I also ordered Butter Chicken Samosas which were delicious! The side order of naan was great as well, and the Chicken Tikka Masala had a nice bit of spice added to it. We sat in the upstairs section which was cool, lots of Bollywood posters on the walls. It was very loud and echoey, and the tables were so close together that we felt like we were part of everyone else's conversation. But the food was so great, we will definitely be heading back.Special Features:
- Ran out of too many itemsYummyEatingDined on 7/23/2014We ate at Badmaash during restaurant week/Dine LA. The food was excellent, as was the service. The Dine LA menu offered a choice of 3 entrees. We were informed when we tried to order one of the three items that the restaurant had run out of the main ingredient. My dining companion tried to order an appetizer but was told the restaurant had run out of the item she ordered. The restaurant also offered a choice of 3 dessert, but they ran out of one of the three items. It just seems that, given that it was Restaurant Week for which Badmaash offered a very limited menu, they would know that the demand for those items would be relatively high and would order the ingredients accordingly to accommodate diners who would be ordering from that menu.Special Features:
- Not what we expectedDowntownerVIPDined on 7/22/2014This would be great for neighborhood hipster types. Not for someone expecting a traditional Indian Food experience or dressed from an office job. Loud hip hop music made it difficult to hear the server, though they were accommodating about turning down the volume. The tables were too small to accommodate family style dishes. I would do take out in the future. The summer veggie medley was delicious, as were the short rib samosas. Best veggies ever in an Indian restaurant. The chicken tikka dish was tasty, but not what we expected. They had a seasoned rice pilaf dish and plain naan, but again, no traditional biryanis or seasoned naans. They also had beer, wine and soft drinks but very limited options for otherwise for non-drinkers
- Chicken Tikka Poutine? Yes, please!nomnomgrrrlDined on 7/19/2014My husband, friends, and I went here a week ago. After seeing Chicken Tikka Poutine as an option on their menu online, I just HAD to go here. The place is cozy and you can carry on a conversation very easily. We happened to go during Dine LA restaurant week and I went with the $25 Dine LA menu which consisted of an option of 3 different appetizers, entrees and desserts. I chose: Pork Tacos as my appetizer, which were heavenly; chicken tikka masala as entree and the rice pudding dessert - both yummy. And of course…chicken tikka poutine which was to die for amazing. This is a great restaurant and they put a fun twist on your normal Indian fare. If you love your tastebuds, get thee to Badmaas, stat!Special Features:
- Great Indian in DTLAAKohDined on 7/18/2014Came here during DineLA week with a few girlfriends. We actually ended up just ordering off the regular menu since we wanted to try a ton of stuff. The food was amazing. The short ribs were tender and juicy, full of flavor. The samosas were crisp and not too overwhelmingly oily. The tikka masala was the perfect amount of heat. Our server (Jeffrey?) was absolutely amazing and provided wonderful suggestions. There's a parking lot on Spring or Main Street just around the corner from the restaurant. The mango mousse dessert was one of my favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian fusion..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Place is a little small but food was great and the servers were attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great food!Horn2trDined on 7/18/2014Highly recommend the chili cheese Nan! Anything on the menu is a hit! We tried the fries with the spicy dipping sauceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so goodMoeMoneyMoeFoodDined on 7/14/2014Great food - one disappointment is that their signature poutine dish wasn't on the DineLA menu. Also, service is ridiculously great - friendliest staff I've ever met.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian DowntownTJGdwntwnVIPDined on 7/12/2014Nice to have a second choice of Indian food downtown. This place is happening! Great location and vibe is upright! Friendly staff, explain food choices with details. Presentation is good along with speed of serving your dishes. Left feeling content on the great spice flavors on our choice of dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- keep coming backrrjjVIPDined on 7/11/2014Keep going back for the "badass Chicken tikka" & find something new and equally great every time. Recent highlights have included chili cheese naan, sweet & sour spiced pumpkin, crispy tamarind glazed pork belly & spiced lamb burger. Place has a great vibe from soundtrack to service as well as fellow diners.Special Features:
- Best Indian Food Ever!insearchofgreatfoodDined on 7/11/2014We ate at Badmaash to celebrate a birthday. The food is excellent. They not only create classic Indian dishes but add a flare of gourment and creativity to the dishes too. We started with the Samosa's and ordered more and more.....We loved the butter chicken and the traditional. We went to the spicey lamb sausage, which was excellent. And the short rib, which melted in your mouth. That combined with the naan bread and rice and the sauces made for a great Indian feast. We ate early as we had tickets to the Groundling theater. We were late...due to traffic...and there was no problem with our seats. The service was great. The wine list was adequate and the beer list was outstanding. We will definitely be back!!:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Badmaash is BadassEATxDTLAVIPDined on 7/10/2014Authentic Indian with a modern twist. They treat each customer like another member of the family. Especially fond of the Chana Masala (chickpeas) and the lentil soup. Also love the Mango Chutney. Make sure to try a Chai tea and Mango Mousse before leaving.Special Features:
- Excellent experience!PrisimVIPDined on 7/5/2014I am glad I read your article in the United Aiways magazine! Great food and wonderful service! Highly recommend it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 38 reviews are from the Badmaash reviews archive.