Backyard Restaurant @ Solé East
90 Second House Road
Montauk, NY 11954Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Backyard Restaurant @ Solé East
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.soleeast.com/
- Phone: 6316689739
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 5:30pm-9:00pm (Sunday-Thursday)
5:30pm-10:00pm (Friday & Saturday)
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Larry Kolar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Beautiful manicured grounds and Zen Den for private dining options.
- Private Party Contact: Christopher 6316689739
- Entertainment: The Backyard Restaurant at Sole East Resort offers Live Entertainment on the weekends and select holidays.
A word from Backyard Restaurant @ Solé East
The Backyard Restaurant at Solé East is inspired by a healthy approach to diet and lifestyle – but not obsessive in its goal. We are all about good, wholesome, fresh, natural ingredients and sources (organic meats and vegetables from the local farmer's markets, fresh catch from the local fishermen). But we can make a pretty nifty drink too.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Backyard Restaurant @ Solé East - Best Restaurants in Montauk ›
Backyard Restaurant @ Solé East reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (31)fit for foodies (16)romantic (11)hot spot (10)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (8)scenic view (4)neighborhood gem (4)kid-friendly (4)special occasion (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- rsm1VIPDined on 10/11/2014another great meal ! Thanks to Wayne and the crew. New chef is outstanding.Special Features:
- MAC1VIPDined on 9/22/2014restaurant was closed when we arrived... It looked nice from the outside.
- Horrible ServiceAriel166VIPDined on 8/31/2014Our dining experience here was quite disappointing. We had a reservation for the Jazz brunch Labor Day weekend, though the ambiance and music was great was food was sub-par and the service was even worse. We waited twenty minutes before having to track someone down to sit us. The table was left unclean for over half an hour after that when we were told the kitchen was opening late. If the service was good this wouldn't have been an issue however I have never experienced worse service in my life. After getting there at 11am we didn't relieve our food order until 12:30 and were hardly acknowledged. Such a shame since the atmosphere and music is nice but definitely would not recommend.
- Delicious but priceynb191Dined on 8/28/2014We really enjoyed the food but it was pricey and althought the website said they had snacks, like pizza etc we were told that it was outdated so the only thing available for kids was pasta. The waitress said many people had come in asking for the snacks but there was nothing else she could offer that wasn't on the menu.Special Features:
- Overall ViewSkyeVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food was very good...although I can only vouch for the appetizers. My husband I shared 5 appetizers...which seemed more interesting than the main courses. Enjoyed all of them. Fun spot...loved eating outdoors in the backyard. The service was awful. When I asked the waitress if they were understaffed that night, she said no! She kept apologizing through out the night!Special Features:
- Excellent all around!JennybDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant was very busy and a weekend in August! They did it, made a memorable meal and experience for our table of 7. Very accommodating, dinner, setting & service was all superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyemilyDined on 8/21/2014Waiter was kind of clueless, but the food was amazing! Clam chowder was delicious, fluke ceviche was super fresh, the sea bass was cooked perfectly and the skirt steak was so tender and flavorful. The dinner was very fast however and I felt they could've paced the meal much better. Overall great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousmissyp84Dined on 8/16/2014My boyfriend and I had a very nice romantic meal outside under the stars. The cocktails were tasty and summery, and the food was wonderful and inventive. Even the bread and dipping oil/butter at the beginning of the meal was great. Service was friendly. We ordered four appetizers for the two of us as our meal. My only complaint was that the food all came out very quickly, with all four appetizers coming out at once and before I had two sips of my cocktail. We didn't think to ask to have the food staggered, but I wish the waitress had asked us. All in all, I would certainly come back, but I would ask that they slow down the food service.Special Features:
- A beautiful garden,WoodlanditeDined on 8/15/2014The backyard had a beautiful garden, our food and service was excellent! The atmosphere very nice! It was a good place to eat in Montauck ! We enjoyed it very much!Special Features:
- Worst Value in Montaukmtkfan25Dined on 8/12/2014The food was good but way over priced and smallish portions. It's in an overly pretentious hotel with several entrances and kids running around. Small drab decor with little room between tables. The drinks were small, weak and Manhattan priced. Our waitress was okay and the service was fair.
- Quiet BrunchdenimgirlDined on 7/27/2014Pretty outdoor space, bossa nova music with the singers created a very relaxed vibe. Menu was not too creative. Ordered poached eggs with bernaise and when it came out there was no bernaise sauce. Server should have been aware of this before and informed us, dish was boring as just some poached eggs with potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie3Dined on 7/26/20142 thumbs up:) going back again in a few weeks! It's my favorite outdoor restaurant in montauk!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like a good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/24/2014food is excellent, but the service is not in line with the prices. At that price a table of 4 should not have a food auction with every course. The runner has no idea what table gets what food and once the runner finds the table he has no idea which person gets what dish. Not my idea of service.Special Features:
- firsttime99Dined on 7/22/2014It was our first time. The food is OK, the service is one of the worst (and we do travel all over the USA). No just we had to wait a long time before being served what we ordered, but in order to ear our soup the 4 of us had to ask for spoons. they were ready to serve dessert, meanwhile we were still waiting for our main course. For sure I will not refer anyone. We would have accepted the price if the service was good. We can get better food/service at other restaurants. I felt bad for the guests that we were with.Sorry never again....
- DinerDined on 7/19/2014Picked a bad night for a romantic dinner, Maxxi Priest was performing and the place was jammed. So the service was understandably slow and it overflowed into the kitchen as well. Wasn't impressed with the menu and the food was marginal. Beautiful ambience for dining al fresco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fresh fishFoodieDined on 7/5/2014We enjoyed our dinner very much. Food was fresh. Dessert was strawberry rhubarb crumble - very delicious! We would go back,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful sunset, great foodwineandineDined on 7/5/2014Food and wine was delicious! What a beautiful hidden spot!Special Features:
- Sole EastOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 6/28/2014We had dinner in their backyard space, on the side lawn. The food was excellent, and the environment was very relaxing and cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Fresh FoodTeeKDined on 6/26/2014Amazing food - everything was of the freshest ingredients and the staff was very pleasant. Would definitely go back the next time I am in Montauk.Special Features:
- The following 51 reviews are from the Backyard Restaurant @ Solé East reviews archive.
- Not a breakfast spotLauradVIPDined on 6/15/2014We made the mistake of looking at the breakfast menu online. When we showed up it was a continental buffet and you could add a very specific ommlete for $4. It was fine, just not what we wanted. Lunch menu looked much better but we were too early. Great ambiance though! Adorable spot, just not for breakfastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveBesitoDined on 6/7/2014Love this resturaunt. Waiter was new and things were a little slow but we had fun and enjoyed our timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice date spotJricca3Dined on 6/7/2014My girlfriend and I had dinner outside by the pool. The food was pretty good, but let me add that the chefs had just finished a wedding so they may have been a little off. I will tell you this, the truffle pommes frites are not to be missed. I will suggest you apply bug spray prior to dinning, it would be great if the restaurant placed fans near the tables to help keep the mosquitoes at bay. Other than that it is a very romantic setting and the wait staff is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Molto Delicioso!8itallupDined on 5/22/2014A lovely restaurant with wonderful food and attentive service!Special Features:
- "reservation was messed up"KeithVIPDined on 9/28/2013too bad they didn't honor reservation time or notify us!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a nice evening!! Goingfoodie3Dined on 8/24/2013Such a nice evening!! Going back again this weekend! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sketchydineoutVIPDined on 8/20/2013This is my third time at Sole East over the past year. Each time the service seems to deteriorate a bit more. Went on an August Sunday evening and though the outdoor seating and ambiance was very nice, the service was amateurish at best. It took a long time to get anyone's attention for water, bread, the basics. Once the meal came it was less than inspiring. Food was only luke warm and presentation, taste, preparation, was below average. Not sure that I will give it another chance until I hear much better things.....a commitment to not just charging Hampton's prices for a substandard experience. It could and should be a wonderful experience but the attention to detail and service is sorely lacking.
- Hip and happening!MiMo594Dined on 8/11/2013We went for a family dinner but stumbled into surf movie night. Lots of people but great energy and lots of fun. Our dinner was lovely. We were seated inside (where it was a little quieter) by the fireplace. We ordered a variety of appetizers, all very tasty especially the tuna. For dinner, I had the scallops which were grilled to perfection. I also sampled some of the steak from my fellow dinners. That was also delicious. White sangria was light and refreshing and really complimented the meal. All around a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but overpriced.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2013The food was delicious and the service friendly and attentive. However, we - who are long accustomed to the prices in New York City - all felt the items on the menu were 30 - 50% overpriced. Given that Montauk is not lacking for good seafood restaurants, I see not particular reason to recommend this one.Special Features:
- Very NiceTaylorDined on 8/7/2013Low key and elegant atmosphere. Food was delicious. Could use a few more vegitarian options, but overall great!Special Features:
- disappointed in MontaukhebattyVIPDined on 8/4/2013If you are looking to party and drink - great place - if you are looking for decent food - in a workd Sole East is feh - much better places in montauk - you can skip this one
- The FoodLisa95Dined on 8/3/2013The menu at Backyard Restaurant is very limited. The meal I ordered was a bit bland, to be honest. Overall, I enjoyed the scenery and location, but not the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentEllaDined on 7/28/2013I looked forward to Backyard restaurant's Brazilian brunch which sounded delicious and fun. However when we arrived there was nobody to guide us to the table and after a while we asked the bartender whether we could just choose a table. She said we could sit wherever we wanted and take brunch from the buffet. We sat down and got some food and coffee from a messy and half-empty self-service table. Nobody came to our table for good 15 minutes. When we finally managed to stop the only waiter around he told us that the buffet was just their breakfast and the brunch would start in 30 minutes. We got to see the menu after sitting for more than an hour and were extremely disappointed of the food which was overcooked and dry.
- Favorite Montauk spotMTKsummerDined on 7/6/2013Amazing as always!! A spot we always come to! Never ceases to amaze us. Will be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place was very nice butFacemanDined on 7/5/2013The place was very nice but due to the very limited menu, I cannot rave about this restaurant. This is not what I would call a Mediteranian type of menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We ranked this our best of the fourOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/5/2013places we ate dinner over July 4 weekend. The food was delicious and the ambience perfect for a beach getaway. There was a trio playing which increased the noise level, but we were still able to have dinner conversation.Special Features:
- Good find!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2013You don't have to deal with all the nonsense the other restaurants put you through in Montauk. Food is really good here and we didnt have to wait an hour to get looked at.Special Features:
- Interesting location and decor,SouthStreetMikeVIPDined on 6/26/2013Interesting location and decor, but the service needs improvement. Pasta dishes were far too salty, not sure if it was the pasta itself or the meat/sauce with it. They were sent back and another pasta dish was brought. They too were very salty. The server could not explain it. They were taken off the bill. We were given the choice of inside or outside seating, but were told the mosquitoes were bad outside. Why? do something about the mosquitoes or don't offer the outside seating.
- Expensive but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2013Beachy atmosphere is very relaxing. While the food is fabulous, it is very pricy for what you get. (Not unlike the rest of Montauk.)Not sure if we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/15/2013We waited over an hour for our meal and when it arrived everything was cold. The food and beverage manager came over when we complained and she assured us she "personally checked our food and rushed the kitchen" herself and sort of looked at us like we were crazy. She did not offer any compensation, we had to literally ask for free drinks or a discount on our meal. We were a group of 6, and none of us are planning to return. It's a beautiful location but with service like that its hard to returnSpecial Features:
- Great spotJBJBDined on 6/7/2013Great spot - sort of a hidden gem A little pricey but over all very good food. The portion size was a good amount. Drink Specials were great! Wish the wine list was a little bigger / had more options to get by the glass instead of bottles...Special Features: