72-820 El Paseo
Palm Desert, CA 92260Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.backstreet-bistro.com/
- Phone: 7603466393
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 1:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Italian, Vegetarian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call for catering information.
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining is available for up to 150 people. Reservations are required.
- Private Party Contact: Lavane Hause 7603466393x
- Entertainment: Backstreet Bistro is known as one of the best local jazz venues in the area, featuring popular local favorites such as Steve Madaio, Linda Peterson, The Brian Nova Trio, Jason Peterson De Laire and more.
A word from Backstreet Bistro
"Where Friends Meet Friends" is what the locals say about Backstreet Bistro…and that is exactly what you"ll find at this Tuscan inspired hidden gem just blocks from the busy El Paseo scene. Dishes are a blend of rustic Italian cuisine and family recipes that feature a wide array of fresh fish, pastas, soups and salads. Lunch and Dinner specials are available daily, along with a full bar and specialty cocktail menu. Enjoy dining in the relaxing ambiance indoors or on the pet-friendly outdoor patio as you gaze upon the beautiful views of the San Jacinto Mountains. This local favorite is also one of the area's best live jazz venues with popular valley musicians performing every Tuesday from 7pm to 10pm and Saturdays from 12:30pm to 3pm. Prices are under $30 at $12-$15 per person.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Backstreet Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (3)neighborhood gem (3)romantic (1)special occasion (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014We made the reservation for a special event and sadly, left before we ordered because they would not honor a coupon purchased (with no expiration date). We won't be going back.
- sfirishDined on 6/6/2014Service was excellent This was my fourth visit and I will be sure to visit frequently. Prices are reasonable good ambience have already recommended to my new friends as a great place for italian food. I have only been in the desert for three yrs. and their are many fine restuarnts in the Valley (my location Rancho La Quinta) so leaving in the San Francisco Bay Area (SF& San Rafael) I have been experienced the best. The Cochella Valley has resturants that are just as good. That is saying a lot for a SF NativeSpecial Features:
- MediocredesertlunchDined on 5/30/2014A disappointing lunch. Too hot for the patio and there were no misters to make it pleasant. Indoors was on the dark side and fairly noisy. I ordered a scoop of egg salad and tuna salad. Both were very plain, no additions. My partner had the special sandwich of the day and the bread was nothing special and the filling was sparse. Sorry but we probably won't return.
- If you don't like crouds,RSS1VIPDined on 5/22/2014this place will be great for you. We dined at 6:45 PM on a Thursday in late May. The dining room was so hot we asked to be seated outside on the parking lot patio. No one was dining in the dining room, three couples were outside with us. By 8 PM all were gone. The bread was excellent, the soup very good and the shrimp were large. The scampi, however, lacked proper flavoring. Our bill was fair with four drinks a salad and one bowl of soup. It was not expensive, nor was it inexpensive at $149 with tip.
- wonderful findmegDusTVIPDined on 5/21/2014we stumbled upon this hidden gem by our craving for italian while visiting palm desert - we were very pleased! lovely patio weather and we thoroughly enjoyed our time spent. it was the best cioppino i've ever had!! my husband was torn between the rack of lamb & veal parmigiana - he wished he would have gone lamb... overall, a very nice dining experience for us.Special Features:
- The following 195 reviews are from the Backstreet Bistro reviews archive.
- Boston/providenceLavacatDined on 5/18/2014My wife and i have dined in some of the best and most notable restaurants in the italian sections of boston(north end) and providence(federal hill). Back street bistro 's dining experience was as satisfying as either one of these venuesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PatioJaniceDined on 5/13/2014Great patio dining, excellent menu selections with superb service from all the waitersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good musicSophieVIPDined on 5/12/2014This is a very fun place with good food at a reasonable price. There is music on the patio every night . Staff is very welcoming and service is great! We will definitely go back next time we are in the desert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and EasyHowieVIPDined on 5/3/2014Walked right in shown our table ordered food and wham it was there.Special Features:
- Love it.mjm56Dined on 4/26/2014Have been before and would return in a heart beat. Great food. The Moffetts from Saratoga CASpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to Eat on El PaseoColoradoDined on 4/24/2014This is a wonderful gem of a restaurant. The menu is yummy, and whether eating indoors or on the patio the service is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little bit of FranceMikeDined on 4/20/2014Pleasant patio setting. Nice bistro menu. A comfortable, casual place for a relaxed dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We ate at Backstreet Bistro.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/12/2014We ate at Backstreet Bistro. That is probably the succinct comment to make. Just not a place for us (my bride and me). Obviously, others due to the level of patronage.
- RETURN GUESTCAiRDined on 4/6/2014We brought friends and they enjoyed the restaurant like we always do. Our waitress was fabulous and all made us feel at home.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the 3 course specialLRkrVIPDined on 4/5/2014Enjoyed the 3 course special (pork chop & filet) and the cost was very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableFoodieDined on 4/4/2014We were skeptical but did really enjoy our dining experience. Sat outside (needed the heat lamps and it was quite comfortable), good service and good food. I would visit Backstreet again.Special Features:
- great food!AndiDined on 4/1/2014Loved the food, service was great and the jazz band was a wonderful addition!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We took a chance...JustgreatfoodandwineVIPDined on 3/30/2014Several other locations were recommended, but this one popped up on Open Table. We were all ver happy with the outdoor dining, the food, and while they were very busy, staff worked hard to make sure everyone had a wonderful time. I would recommend Backstreet Bistro anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but....DrDeeVIPDined on 3/30/2014An Italian restaurant that serves potatoes with Veal Parm? Never in Chicago. Server mentioned after the meal that you can ask for pasta. Would have been helpful before hand to know. Portions very small. Overall food was good but just did not merit more than 3 stars.
- Good dependable place for dinnerBonappetiteDined on 3/29/2014This is a lovely setting both indoors and out. The inside is cozy, the outside very pretty. Food is standard and could actually use a bit of adventure. The focus is on pasta. Well prepared, nicely presented. Updating the menu to bring it forward into the food revolution would be a good idea. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Fix your reservation systemragetsVIPDined on 3/28/2014When we arrived, they had trouble finding our reservation. When we said we did through Open Table. She glared at us, then finally found it. Then she ushered us to a table back in the corner inside. When we told her that we requested outside, she said, sorry, next time call direct and maybe she'll "negotiate" a place to sit next time. Open table requests are not really something they do. (needless to say, nothing with a smile) It was really warm inside. 10 minutes later, water arrived. 5 minutes after that, no wait staff, so we walked out. Nothing said to us as we left. Have no idea what the food is like, but after the poor greeting and service, probably never will.
- Poor Open Table ServicereetsDined on 3/26/2014I received all emails confirming my reservation, but because I did not state on open table reservation inside, not patio, they put all open table reservations outside. The winds were huge that night. We ended up going to 3rd Corner Bistro and it was wonderful. With all the confirmed emails you would think one would have asked inside or out with the winds as high as they were.Special Features:
- Nice Neighborhood spotVisitingFoodieDined on 3/23/2014We have a great meal with friends who are vegetarian. Really enjoyed the food, service and patio. Love the slogan---Where friends meet friends!
- Fun restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2014We so enjoy this restaurant- good food, nice wine, neighborhood favorite. Always go when we are in townSpecial Features:
- RecommendedTedCDined on 3/21/2014Our first try. Recommended byfriends. I agree and would recommend to othersSpecial Features:
- Great food excellent serviceeatoutloverDined on 3/19/2014Food was excellent. We had the lasagna and the grandma's veal dish. Both very flavourful and nicely presented. Portions are large and reasonably priced. We started with a Caesar salad Wine list is good and well priced. We sat on the patio which was very pleasant. Service was prompt and friendly We liked it so much we returned the following night. We would highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ANOTHER GOOD EXPERIENCEhungryboomersDined on 3/19/2014We gave Backstreet Bistro another try after a very average experience just 3 days earlier. They MUST have had a different chef Sun. night, as dinner on Wed. was delicious as usual. So we now feel comfortable recommending it again. They are always so busy by 6:30 that service can be slow. It is always (except once) worth the wait.Special Features:
- SURPRISINGLY MEDIOCREhungryboomersDined on 3/16/2014We have been here many times and always thought it was VERY good. We have taken friends there and referred The Bistro to others. Went on a Sunday, maybe a part time chef or not as much help in the kitchen? I always order Veal Marsala as they do it wonderfully, my husband ordered "Grandma Pat's" and THAT was what we both got!. I noticed right away but we were with friends and I didn't want to send it back, wait etc. Frankly I figured it would be something good too. Wrong. Dish was bland and the veal was over cooked, easy to do with veal, on both plates. Scalloped potatoes were just o.k. Our friends didn't seem that impressed with their meals either. We were disappointed but will try it again and hope we just got an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed. We tookLackingVIPDined on 3/15/2014Very disappointed. We took our niece and she ordered the salmon. It was off, the server came to check on our dinners and we told him. He did offer to replace it but if the salmon was bad do you want it again?
- Great Local Vibejaybird51VIPDined on 3/11/2014Had a nice dinner here on a Tuesday night. Sat outside on the patio and listened to live jazz while dining on veal scallopini and saltimbocca. Would go back.Special Features:
- ServicecupmackeyDined on 3/11/2014Loved the food, but the service was just ok. The waitress put the bread basket on top of my menu and just left. Never was the basket refilled. Had to ask for water refills several times. My salad came at the same time as the small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Italian RestaurantManoloVIPDined on 3/8/2014We arrived at the restaurant it was very busy but the hostess was very attentive & sat us down a few minutes later. Our waiter & server were very good. Efficient & very friendly. I had a Chicken Marsala it was good but the sauce was average. The Boccocini & Tomato salad was good. The outdoor patio is nice. The Restsurant is a nice Italian & reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our evening, foodBopperDined on 3/8/2014Enjoyed our evening, food was excellent but the service was a little slow because the restaurant was very busy.Special Features:
- Dinner at homeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/7/2014This restaurant is right across the road from where we stay which makes it our go-to restaurant when we have visitors from out of town. Always good food, good music and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little place to eatSteveVIPDined on 3/6/2014My wife and I were looking for an outdoor dining place To emjoy the weather. The atmosphere was good and service was great food was just as we expected great Italian food We expected as we had all week to have to eat inside because of the tennis crowds but it was nice to be seared outside without having to ask I would rate this as a neighborhood jewel.Special Features:
- GREAT FOODhungryboomersDined on 3/3/2014We always are happy to find a restaurant that.... #1 Takes reservations. #2 Has great food at reasonable prices. #3 Has an indoor area where you can actually have a conversation with out yelling. #4 Has a lovely outdoor area that is a bit more loud, especially when live music is available. Service is a bit slow occasionally but when you're with friends it's a good chance to visit. One of our favorite places in the desert. Have only been there for dinner.Special Features:
- Summer nightsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/27/2014It always seems light a perfect summer night at the BSB. Sitting outside next to the light tree, drinking, eating, talking, laughing....Perfect " Summer Night" every time. SpecialSpecial Features:
- Always good a BSBpassinThroughDined on 2/27/2014Our 8th visit. Don't miss the veal dishes. "Grandma Pat's" with mushroom/champagne/cream sauce is super. Patio is dog friendly and our German Shepherd loves the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Backstreet BistroSusieQDined on 2/26/2014We have never been disappointed with the Backstreet Bistro. Great service, great food, and you wouldn't even know you were off a parking lot when you are eating on the patio.Special Features:
- The veal entree choices areOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/22/2014The veal entree choices are great. The salmon piccata is especially good. Choose outdoors, if possible. Checkin has no computer, so be sure to identify the reservation as "open table".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.