84 Main Street
Torrington, CT 06790Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.backstageeatdrinklive.com/
- Phone: 8604898900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch/Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Keith Richard Bisciotti
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Upstairs Loge accommodates up to 40 guests for private events, social gatherings, bridal rehearsals, and business meetings. Full presentation audio-video technology is offered at no charge.
- Private Party Contact: Margaret Madden 8604898900
- Entertainment: Our sister company, Premier Concerts, Connecticut's largest independent concert promoter, presents Backstage Live! performances on an ever-growing schedule. Backstage Live! events are presented in the Warner's intimate Nancy Marine Studio Theatre, with access directly from our main dining room.
A word from Backstage
Backstage, located next to the Warner Theatre in downtown Torrington, serves casual American food from its full "all-day" menu, prepared fresh from scratch. Service begins daily at 11:30am, and the kitchen stays open late on performance evenings for after-theatre dining. Select from crisp salads and hot soups, creative Small Plates, Perfect Burgers of hand formed Angus patties on house-baked rolls, popular sandwiches, and Big Plate comfort favorites. House-made desserts are a specialty. The antique mahogany bar soars 14 feet above the trendy zinc counter, and presides over northwest Connecticut's largest offering of craft-brewed beers. 24 brands are available on tap, with the bottle selection at more than 70. The well-rounded wine list is popularly priced, with several wines offered by the glass. Customer service is a passion at Backstage. Servers and bartenders serve up our unique "Awesome Customer Service," and management is visibly present during all meals.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Backstage - Best Restaurants in Torrington ›
Backstage reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (26)vibrant bar scene (25)great for lunch (25)fit for foodies (23)kid-friendly (18)late-night find (14)special occasion (13)hot spot (13)great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (8)notable wine list (4)romantic (2)Show More
- It's a neighborhood gem.DatenightgirlDined on 9/12/2014This is one of our favorite neighborhood hotspots. You can find us here typically at least one night a week. The staff is nice the food is good and we always have a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BackstageNecieDined on 9/12/2014Food was good but overpriced. Wait staff service was very good however kitchen prep time was ridiculously long. We were worriedwe would miss our show at the theatre next door.Special Features:
- Love it, love it, love it.IGetAroundDined on 9/11/2014Coolest place in Northwest County. 40 draft beers and 100 bottles or something like that, casual food but cooked by real chefs, all kinds of local farm things. Servers are great. We went before a show at the Warner, crazy busy! They handle it incredibly well. Took 25 minutes for food to appear after we ordered it... not a problem with so many dining at the same time. Awesome! Who runs this place? Kudos!!Special Features:
- Great service and staffTorringtonFanDined on 9/11/2014Walked in the door and was seated immediately. Make reservation. It's a great way to start the night before the show.Special Features:
- Enjoyable EveningcatmandoDined on 9/10/2014I had a business dinner on Wednesday night during a Cask War. Noise level was moderate but fun and the bar was very busy. Service was very good and our server Jenna was very attentive and knowledgeable. Apps were tasty as was our steak dinner. Did enjoy dessert as well. The menu is extensive and 40 draft beers is awesome. Bar staff is second to none. I would continue to recommend as this is our place to go. I do miss the the past Host though.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Right next door to theater...soo convenient and food is good. Go early though bc restaurant gets busy before shows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Saturday night...IGetAroundDined on 8/16/2014We love Backstage and Backstage loves the CT farms! Fresh cavatelli with pomodoro sauce handmade from Greszyk (sp?) Farm, New Hartford, tomatoes! My wife gets it with picked lobster in it, I prefer it without. The best Cobb Salad EVER, with those same gorgeous tomatoes and that farm's eggs too. Crazy uncommon veggies from another local farm. Cheeses and ice cream from the famous Arethusa Dairy Farm in Litchfield. So many choices, so few allowed calories ;-(Special Features:
- Great Recovery!TorianneDined on 8/15/2014Picked the restaurant fur my husband's birthday dinner. He was immediately put off by the noise coming from the bar and made no effort to hide his displeasure. I had been to Backstage once before and loved it, so I was bummed that he wasn't going to like it. Within a few minutes, Chris, the GM, came over and offered to seat us in the front room that would be quieter. Such a simple gesture turned the night around for us and my husband was really happy with the experience and dinner overall. Thank you so much for saving the evening and attending to us! Will definitely come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT PLACEColinSDined on 8/7/2014LOVE THIS PLACE. CONSISTENT AND ALWAYS GREAT FOOD AND SERVICESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT FOR BRUNCHluvsbrunchDined on 8/3/2014The brunch was outstanding. My lobster eggs-benedict were delicious. My friend had the steak and eggs, which she loved. The food was freshly prepared and piping hot. The icing on the cake, so to speak, was our shared cheesecake; which was to-die-for wonderful. The only negative, if you can even call it that, was the server was a little too solicitious. She was hovering. Also, I would have enjoyed a bit of fruit on my plate, like orange slices or grapes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience4boysDined on 8/1/2014Great food and great service and they always get us out on time to walk right next door to the Warner Theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food great servicewarnermom2014Dined on 8/1/2014we got served quickly and got our food in time to eat and get to our show next door at the Warner!Special Features:
- Burger and beerFishermansBluesDined on 7/31/2014Great selection of beers and flavorful burgers. We will be back!Special Features:
- Fabulous meal, very accommodatingSunfleurDined on 7/27/2014I was there with some friends and my daughter after a play at the Warner. I had made reservations, but were a little early and they seated us anyway. I have a gluten intolerance and they were able to accommodate by telling me what foods were available to me. My friend and I had awesome Cobb salads with lobster, her mother had cavatelli, and my daughter had a burger and fries that looked heavenly. Our waitress was so nice and sweet and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnhappyDined on 7/26/2014The service was terrible & the food had obviously sat under the lights for some time.
- Great beer listCrasher1339Dined on 7/17/201440 beers on tap with constantly rotating selections. Menu is great, very good food. Service had always been friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodEquityVIPDined on 7/12/2014We go to Backstage regularly and find the food and service to be some of the best in Connecticut. A lot of the food is locally sourced from area farms and producers like Nodines's and Arethusa Farms. Everything is made from scratch in the kitchen. The menu is so creative and diverse and the staff cannot be any friendlier. I especially love the frenched chicken breast, cavatelli with pomodoro sauce and lobster, the incredible burgers, French fries as good as they are made in France, and there are a remarkable 40 beers on draft and nearly 100 in bottles. For desser, having a root beer float made with Abita root beer from New Orleans and Litchfield's own Arethusa Farms ice cream does not get any better, anywhere at any price.Special Features:
- downtown Torrington hot spotDatenightgirlDined on 7/4/2014Backstage is a staple for us. It's a great place to grab a quick bite or spend an evening with friends listening to live music and having dinner and drinks. Regular little neighborhood, downtown hot spot.Special Features:
- A great option in Torrington, CT.ManhattanMomDined on 7/4/2014Not too many places to grab a bite late in Torrington so this is a welcome addition. Great menu with tons of good options to try. Amazing tuna burger; great brisket, nice flite of beers. Loved everything. Plus they give you a free burger on your birthday! How great is that!!Special Features:
- Horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014Took way too long for apps and out drinks were empty for a good 10 minutes before we were acknowledged
- Staff and foodEatOutaLotDined on 6/28/2014Great caesar salad, BUT calamari was rubbery and soggy. Wait staff forgot about us till we asked twice for help. We were part of a tour that specifically said we would receive a discount if we showed our tour map. Wait staff said they knew nothing about it although we showed them the map with the statement, she ignored pur request. Will not return. Old building high ceilings very very loud could hear conversations in next room.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014We've been to Backstage on several occasions Food is always Great and Service is exceptional. Great place to go even on Show nights at the Warner. No matter how busy Service is Wonderful, Food is Hot and the Beer is Cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerdooneDined on 6/10/2014Dinner was excellent, large variety menu with locally acquired meats and cheeses. Service was grest and they were very accommodating when we arrived early for our reservation. Located conveniently next to the Warner Theaer when you have tickets to an event. The only negative is that it is loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STAY AWAY!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014Hands Down...THE WORST, MOST AWFUL RESTAURANT EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD. Had 6:15 reservation. Arrived on time. At 7:50, we left the restaurant and never got our meals. The waitress was horrible and the manager could care less. I expressed my frustration to the waitress before leaving and her response was " everyone else in the restaurant is experincing the same thing".
- Make ReservationsLeen13Dined on 6/10/2014This is a perfect place to go before going to the Warner Theater. The food was good. I had a beef filet special. The waiter wasn't sure what kind of beef it was! The meat was a little tough. The mashed potatoes were good. The asparagus were a little overdone but tasty. The service was good. It was very noisy. I imagine it's a little quieter when there isn't a show at the Warner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great DinnerKitts4Dined on 6/1/2014I've dined at Backstage several times and the food and service never disappoints. Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeanDined on 5/29/2014Good all around place for Lunch or dinner. Great on show nights.Special Features:
- Great place!KcampDined on 5/29/2014Top notch food and drink! The best staff! Outgoing and friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 309 reviews are from the Backstage reviews archive.
- Best place in the area BY FAR!RebeccaInCTDined on 5/11/2014Torrington doesn't offer much by way of "awesome" places - like places in larger cities. Backstage offers (I believe) 80 bottle beer varities & 40 taps. Great speciality cocktails too (try the Lavender Pillow) crisp & refreshing. Our table of 6 had a variety of items - from pork dumplings to a steak. Every one enjoyed their food, greatly. The mac & cheese is awesome, the Cobb salad is enough for 2 diners (fresh & delish). Also, not to be missed - the ON TAP Root Beer!!Special Features:
- Wonderful Brunch!!luvsbrunchDined on 5/11/2014I can't say enough about the food. The brunch choices were excellent as was dessert. Due to Mother's Day, it was very busy. It took quite awhile for our food to arrive. However it was worth the wait, and the service was very good. I will definitely go back, and definitely recommend it. It was a nice touch to recieve a complimentary Mother's Day plant with a $10.00 off coupon for a future meal.Special Features:
- Before theaterFishloverDined on 5/10/2014Great place to eat before going to theater. Nice to see that use locally produced food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food OK, service poorBillDined on 5/10/2014A group of 4 of us went there before the show at the Warner. Service was OK until we asked to order first course and we would order 2nd course in a while then our server got surly and service turned poor. One drink order did not arrive, one meal ordered was not even given to kitchen. Two requests for a couple of extra napkins were totally ignored.
- Lunch at the Backstageslv815Dined on 5/10/2014Usually go to the Backstage prior to a Warner performance. On this occasion it was for lunch before the opera. The waitstaff was very accommodating in making sure we were served in plenty of time to enjoy our meals without worrying about being late for the performance. The portions were more than adequate and we also enjoyed a flight of beers from the extensive on-tap list. An overall enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Great Restaurantbackstageis4meDined on 5/9/2014Whenever we are in the Torrington area, we dine at Backstage. Everything we ordered there is always great. Friendly, quick, and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ColinColinSDined on 5/3/2014Food and Atmosphere were great. Brought a group of friends there for the first time. They raved all night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return!food4allDined on 5/2/2014Easy to make reservations on line. Courteous and prompt greeting. Knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly service. Table by the front window offered a scenic view of the old building across main street and the trees in the window provided privacy and a feeling of being in nature. Excellent, tasty food! Great beer selections!!Special Features:
- Good eats in TorringtonrablrouseDined on 4/21/2014Very much worth a stop, should you be on your way up Rte 8 (as we were). The food was entirely proper & the service was excellent!Special Features:
- Fun NightHarwintonFamily1Dined on 4/18/2014We went from a party of 10 booking a last minute reservation at 7:15 to a party of 14 by 8:00! The staff added tables and we had a great time. Our server was awesome and just rolled with our growing party. It was Good Friday and we looked like the Last Supper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I haven't been at BackstageKitts4Dined on 4/13/2014I haven't been at Backstage for dinner for at least a year. I think the quality of the food has improved as well as the service. Previously we were either rushed or waiting too long. A bit disappointed they were out of the risotto, but substitutions OK. Great and convenient before or after show dining experience. Comfortable spacing between tables. Our whole party had a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice food, good servicesorefootDined on 4/12/2014All four in our party enjoyed our meals and the service was accommodating with order modifications.Special Features: