Back Nine Grill
3500 East Avenue
Rochester, NY 14617Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Back Nine Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebackninegrill.com/
- Phone: 5852677031
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Earl Young
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Back Nine Grill has dedicated a large portion of our facilities for private functions.
- Private Party Contact: Eric Jones 5852677031
- Special Events: Please Contact Dena Marou at 585-202-1911
A word from Back Nine Grill
Back Nine Grill's focus is to provide a comfortable atmosphere in which our customers can dine and relax.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Back Nine Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
- LennyVIPDined on 4/27/2014was a bit disappointed that it was more pub like/ bar like than restaurant.....there were TVS in the dining room which I don't enjoy when dining.....I may have misread the description Having said tha the service was very good and enjoyed the meal despite TV distraction would recommend as long as you are aware of setting food good do recommend and would returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingJPJPDined on 4/1/2014Back Nine has a good name, so we thought it would be better. Sold out of the lunch special. Service was slow. Part of an order was incorrect. Not very busy and it seemed to take forever. Will likely not be going back.
- Great Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014This was our first time at the Back Nine Grill and the food was fabulous! Way better than we had even expected. Our server made some mistakes but she was graciously apologetic and quickly took care of the problems. When the doors were open it was very very noisy in the bar area but when they were closed it helped to reduce the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a table of 6 on a relativelyGirlsNightDined on 3/10/2014We had a table of 6 on a relatively quiet Tuesday night. The service was good and the casual atmosphere was what we were looking for. The menu is general fare with a couple of specials – not elaborate, but the food was good and reasonably priced. I will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Great food - Slow serviceDS0307Dined on 3/7/2014Food was excellent, however our service was poor. Asked several times for items and was forgotten, had to standup and search for server to pay bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- soup was look warmYummyDined on 12/20/2013we had 6pm reservations, initially told no table for 2 available and it would be a 15-20 minute wait. after 10 minutes we were seated in the dining area, i noted several empty tables. not sure why reservations were not honored. we were seated in table for 2 against the sliding noisy always slamming glass doors, bar area very loud. not a good dinning experience, will not return.. soup was lukewarm, rice undercooked and luke warm
- Menu is not what is on Open TableJimmyDined on 10/27/2013Completely different menu than what is published on open table.....and unfortunately the real menu is not as good....it's bar food, done reasonably well...nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- Crowd PleasureHenryVIPDined on 10/9/2013This restaurant falls short in the fine dining category. It has definitely gone downhill since first opening. This was our fourth visit and will be our last! The bar area was very busy and several groups gathered there seem to be enjoying themselves. In another area of the restaurant, a large group was meeting putting stress on the 2 person wait staff (as well as the kitchen I assume). My sole with crabmeat stuffing was tasteless and overcooked. The honey mustard dressing requested for the salad was actually a mustard sauce (with no trace of honey) and spicy hot! Entirely unsuitable for lettuce greens.Special Features:
- Great food and service but LOUDstumpDined on 9/27/2013We are a party of four who dines out weekly and loves good/great food. Well the food passed our test but it was hard to really enjoy the evening since the room was EXTREMELY loud! We were in a booth and could not carry on a conversation without shouting. For that reason we will not return.Special Features:
- Although this restaurant isBankersDined on 9/24/2013Although this restaurant is known as a sports bar, they had a quiet dining area that was closed off via pocket doors, providing a nice ambience for non-bar diners, and everyone in our party really enjoyed their meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited MenulokimikaDined on 8/16/2013The last time I was here the menu was almost exactly the same (Fall 2012). The choices are very limited for dinner, unless you want burgers or wings. My husband and I had to ask about the specials for the evening. The server asked what we would you like to eat?, instead of just telling us what they were. Strange. Service was very slow. The restaurant was not busy. I am guessing you lack staff due to college students going back to school. We were here the Friday after the PGA left town and none of our favorite beers were restocked yet. Some items on the menu were also unavailable. After I use up my last coupon for this place, I doubt highly we will come back for dinner. We will probably plan on beer and wings. No dinner.
- Decent placeSilentOneDined on 8/2/2013Decor was simple but nice. Service was good as was the food. Bar area was very noisy, but there is a sliding glass door which separates the bar from the dining area and blocks the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LocationsusiegwDined on 7/24/2013Great place to meet friends on the East Side. Nice decor; our waitress was friendly and provided great service; food was very good. A very enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- The stuffed flounder was veryfoodieDined on 7/5/2013The stuffed flounder was very salty. Ordered the mac and cheese as a side and it was cold. My husband had the ribs which he said were good. The main dining room was very stuffy not alot of air flow.
- Pleasant Dining SpotHenryVIPDined on 7/5/2013Though a limited menu, the food is well prepared. Those who wish to dine are separated from the active bar-lounge area --- a big plus! The waiter, though friendly, seemed inexperienced. Forgot to bring water as requested and presented the check before offering dessert selections. The dining section was not busy so he did not appear distracted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencespecialDined on 6/29/2013Delicious food, friendly, accomodating service, table ready when we arrivedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very poor serviceBillVIPDined on 6/29/2013This restaurant has great food options. Sadly we didn't enjoy them as 3 of the 4 meals we ordered came out cold...AFTER waiting forever to get them. We didn't complain as we were starving, but it wouldn't have made a difference; we didn't see the waiter again for nearly 30 minutes after we got our meals. We literally sat behind empty plates just waiting for the check until my wife finally got up and found him. Will never return and will warn others.
- Extremely noisy in the barOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2013Extremely noisy in the bar area-had to shout to talk to friends. Drinks are on the high side (expensive). Food was average and service was not good--we were not offered refills on water or coffee and food was luke warm when served although tasted good.
- First Back Nine VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013Our dinner at the Back Nine was delicious. The service was wonderful and the whole staff, including the owner, were attentive to the needs of the customers. I would refer friends and family to this restaurant for dinner anytime.Special Features:
- Lunch at Nine GrillEvieDined on 4/3/2013We were served in a timely manner. The atmosphere was quiet so it wasn't hard being able to hear our conversation. The food was good, I had a buffalo chicken flatbread that was delish and my friend had the steak salad. She said that it was way too much salad and lacked taste.Special Features:
- this was our first time thereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/23/2013this was our first time there since it changed and we were very disappointed. the service was awful. Every time we needed something it took her forever to come back with it. Will not recommend this place. Sorry we were celebrating my brothers birthday and not a good experience.
- A great place to get someOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013A great place to get some amazing food!! The drinks are well done as well! The staff/wait staff love to interact with you and are very friendly and awesome!Special Features:
- the food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2013the food and service were terrific. meals were brought out together, no one had to wait for their dinner. Our waiter Mark was very friendly and responsive to our requests. We will be back for sure. Thanks for a great night out.Special Features:
- Bad NightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/25/2013We had 7 people for dinner. 3 enjpyed the food; 3 very disappointed (burned chicken kebbr, grizzle on the steak: were they really stripe steaks?) One declared at least 5 times since...I will never go there again. Up until that visit, I was always happy. The sad part is that we use the place for group meetings at least 4 times a year.Special Features:
- It was extremely loud in theJBRochesterDined on 2/23/2013It was extremely loud in the bar area (and it wasn't even that packed) whereby I had to actually shout so my friends sitting next to me could hear me. The dining area was quiet and we very much enjoyed the food which was very reasonable in price. We also appreciated the efficiency of service as the waitrees new we had to be at the Arts Center by 8 and made sure we were on schedule.Special Features:
- Very Pricey!!AllisonDined on 2/22/2013Food was good but EXTREMELY pricey!! I had the Seafood special which was $46 and some of my fish was well done (one of two of my shrimp was not cleaned) but was still good. We even had a work special where we got 25% off our bill and it still very pricey!! However, my shrimp cocktail was excellent; the sauce was out of this world, my martini was delish and my husband loved his chicken wings!! Our waiter was wonderful too! The bar area was extremely loud but where we sat it was blocked with the doors.Special Features:
- The online reservation systemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013The online reservation system was great and our table was ready when we arrived. However, one of our meals was delivered lukewarm. We asked for it to be reheated, but it wasn't any better. At that point, my husband went ahead and ate his dinner (with the exception of the sausage that was burnt to a crisp) as everyone else at the table was almost done. In addition, my Mediterranean Flat Bread came without any artichokes (which I was most looking forward to). I didn't complain about the flat bread as my husband had already sent his food back and I didn't want us to be the only couple in our party of 6 complaining. We don't plan to go back and wouldn't recommend it to others.
- The Back Nine seems to bewahooDined on 1/24/2013The Back Nine seems to be making a comeback in terms of food offerings. For a while there, consensus was that they were on a downhill slide. Went with a group of five and we all had very good dinner entrees. It was Thursday night - ladies night at the bar - and the ENERGY / NOISE was high. Didn't bother us in the dining room, however.Special Features:
- Went on a Sunday afternoonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/23/2012Went on a Sunday afternoon around 1pm and the bar was busy with football fans and families. There is a nice separate dining room for parties and those looking to enjoy a quieter meal. The food was really good but the restaurant was definitely understaffed. It took over 25 minutes for us to get our meals and we maybe had 3 interactions with our waitress who was overwhelmed with four large parties. Waited a long time for our waitress to pick up the check as well. I think it would have been a great experience if the restaurant was staffed better.Special Features:
- Would like it better if theyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/22/2012Would like it better if they refilled instead of replacing coffee & tea cups. I don't like glass cups. I don't think they keep the beverage cold.Special Features:
- Pretty Good.JeremyBDined on 12/21/2012Great place for happy hour. 12 guests and myself stopped in on Friday (12/21). They have tap tables where you just pour your own beer (that was fun), a ton of people were there (nice energetic crowd) - but you will run into a Pittsford snob or two.... its not the fault of the establishment - but on that evening a woman came up and took two of our place settings while we were sitting at the table... didn't ask, just took them to her own table, while we had food on our table. Again nice place, good food and beer, great mixed drinks - occasional Pittsford snobs. Our waitress was outstanding and attentive - despite the packed house.
- The food was delicious, portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2012The food was delicious, portions were controlled and the service was excellent! It got a little noisy towards the end of our visit, which to me is annoying, makes it difficult to carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- jess was very hospitable,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012jess was very hospitable, friendly and very accomadating, especially since half my group were coming and going-thanks for a great place to meet family and friends in a beautiful atmosphere.Special Features:
- the food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2012the food and service were great but the noise level was extremely loud....made it hard to carry on a conversation at our own table.Special Features:
- This restaurant is simplyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2012This restaurant is simply fantastic, great food, service and atmosphere!Special Features:
- The service was superb. IwahooDined on 9/28/2012The service was superb. I ordered a Clam Bake Special, which was exceptional for the price. The only flaw was the sweet corn, which, considering the season here, was rather bland. Interestingly enough, though, it was cooked very well Usually restaurants boil sweet corn to death. The bar and a party room (I believe it's party room) were packed to the gills with folks watching the Ryder Cup. It was VERY noisy in the bar. But when we were seated in the dining room, the noise was not an issue. The server, whose name was Ben (again, I think), was highly efficient. He was a model for good service.Special Features:
- Not totally happyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2012Liked making the reservation online. However, when making the reservation through Open Table we were not aware that there was a large party booked and that the dining room was not available. We ended up being seated in a small room by the bar.
- We chose the restaurant forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2012We chose the restaurant for a business lunch. The other couple had not been there before and loved the experience. I'm sure they will return.Special Features:
- Enjoyed lunch on this ourastutedinerDined on 9/13/2012Enjoyed lunch on this our first visit. There were two large groups sitting across from us so we had a difficult time hearing each other. Food was good as was our waiter. Would go again to enjoy the atmosphere. Definitely not a place for quiet conversation.Special Features:
- Besides the bar there is onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2012Besides the bar there is only one room to sit in and it is noisy beyond belief. I had steak which was good but some of the others in my party had salads which were not good.