2 West Street
Boston, MA 02111Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.backdeckboston.com/
- Phone: 6176700320
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm; Saturday 3:00pm - 11:30pm; Sunday 3:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Paul Sussman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Back Deck offers professional backyard grilling in a laid-back city setting seven days a week. Friends and family meet for charcoal-grilled favorites inspired by the food served at casual cookouts along with porch-perfect cocktails, beer and wine.
- Private Party Contact: Mark Corcoran 8664171498
- Cross Street: Corner of Washington
- Public Transit: We are conveniently located next to the Downtown Crossing T stop and Silver Line Stop. We are just a short walk from Park Street, Chinatown and State Street stops.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We offer night and weekend parking validation of $2.00 off for local area lots.
A word from Back Deck
Back Deck offers professional backyard grilling in a laid-back city setting seven days a week. Back Deck brings the outdoors inside with details like exterior carriage lighting and glazed brick in the dining room and an open kitchen that invites guests to watch the flame-licked fun. Back serves polished takes on cookout classics as well as dishes cooked over an open flame at homes across the globe. Almost all of the menu is grilled on three hardwood charcoal grills hand-picked to accommodate many differing options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Back Deck reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (36)good for groups (34)neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (21)kid-friendly (20)great for outdoor dining (15)late-night find (13)great for brunch (12)vibrant bar scene (9)special occasion (9)hot spot (8)notable wine list (3)romantic (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- semihoboDined on 10/12/2014Third night out for 8 conventioneers and this was the best yet. Comfy atmosphere. Wonderful waitperson, Nicole - efficient, intuitive and sassy. Everyone loved the food, all of it. Unusual but addictive elderflower margarita; superb grilled chicken livers on garlicky watercress (I will dream of them); succulent brick chicken, very tasty mixed grill; warm and comforting rice pudding with almonds; decadent snicker sundae. The wine list is limited, but intelligently chosen, with remarkably reasonable prices and good quality. Great background music set at the perfect volume. If I lived here, I'd patronize this place regularly. We all had an excellent time and left very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service laggedMetrofoodieDined on 10/10/2014Our food was tasty and the service started out great but once the food arrived we never saw our server again. He never came to check on us after the food was delivered. When he finally came over 20 minutes after we had finished he didn't ask if we wanted dessert he just left the bill.Special Features:
- Great pre theater spotGrannyDined on 10/9/2014Good food, ambience, service. Close to Opera House. Menu varied enough for all tastes and ages. Especially good are grilled platters. Nice food presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchswingoodDined on 10/9/2014I had lunch with a friend, there was no wait to be seated, the food came relatively quickly and although the cut fried potatoes could have been warmer, overall the food was very good. I would like to go back and try some of the other items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater for kidscapecodfoodieDined on 10/5/2014Chose spot to take my goddaughter before Lion King production due to proximity to theater and kid friendly menu. Restaurant has kids' menu as well as fairly diverse regular dinner menu which was offered at a time that allowed for us to make our 6:30PM show. Restaurant was very busy with pre-theater families, that were quickly replaced by groups of 20-somethings. We tried a variety of items on the menu (small plates were a nice option) including the kids' chicken wings (good), kids' fruit and yogurt, kids' alfredo with chicken (very good), Mexican corn (bring floss, but nice and garlicky), shrimp salad (fine), pork chop (decent tho chosen due to sold out cowboy steak), and pork tacos (good). Would bring kids and picky adults here again.Special Features:
- pattDined on 10/3/2014We had a reasonably large group coming from three different directions and we were all late. I called to tell them that we would be late and they were just great about it. The food was good, we had mostly basic burgers etc. The corn chowder was very good, and there was only one person who had leftovers but she always doesSpecial Features:
- Food doesn't live up to the conceptbklynmaDined on 9/27/2014The conceit of this restaurant is that it's like grilling on your back deck (or roof deck really, as it aims for something more upscale urban than the backyard barbecue). And the wooden seating sets the mood nicely. But the food was just not up to scratch. Granted, we were in a hurry to eat before a matinee, so we chose some of the simplest dishes on the menu. But the 'fries' were actually huge, chunky home fries (I don't remember that being specified) and they tasted like the griddle hadn't been cleaned properly. And how do you make pastrami hash that doesn't taste like anything? Service was friendly but mediocre. The waiter dropped off our check and then bussed several tables while we waited to pay, practically waving the card at him.
- Great grilling in the theater distOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/24/2014The corn chowder was a hit with our whole table, and the Mediterranean options -- lamb Kefta and grilled vegetables -- were popular with the kids. The Mexican grilled corn was messy, but great. We'll be back the next time we go to a show.Special Features:
- Second Timebarnlady87Dined on 9/22/2014This was the second time at the Back Deck and both have been pleasant experiences. Good bar and good bar tenders. Relaxed dining atmosphere that is good for lunch or dinner visits. Food and service has been good to very good both visits.Special Features:
- Moe1Dined on 9/21/2014What a find! Great brunch before matinee show. Nice atmosphere, great service despite being very busy. Food options very extensive. We all enjoyed our meals. Very reasonably priced. Will definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can have a conversation!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014The Back Deck is a gem. Good food, good service all at reasonable prices. Especially enjoyable is that unlike other restaurants in the neighborhood you can hear your dining companions when they speak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening before a playOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Thank you Back Deck for a wonderful birthday evening - food was great and service super!Special Features:
- Dinner in the Theater districtfoodforthoughtDined on 9/16/2014Great place for dinner before going to the Opera House. Good food and reasonable prices!Special Features:
- Yum !!!LgfoodieDined on 9/16/2014Had an excellent meal prior to the theater!! Chicken under a brick and salad was delicious and I will go back and order it again soon!! Great and personable service!!! A nice find!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time here-FirstvisitDined on 9/15/2014Will definitely come again. Great gluten free option for the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Bad ExperienceNaniDined on 9/14/2014With reservations we were seated right away, friendly waiter brought one drink and we ordered & then was ignored for 45 mins. I saw waiter pass by & I said we were going to the play & 6yr. needed to eat . No action or food of any kind was offered until I found manager & told him we needed something to eat...he gave us French fries & told us lunch was on him that 2 chefs didn't show up...that was generous but too little too late. Won't be returning. Need to be upfront w/ info or offer us a limited menu to have some food !!
- Pre theatre mealDebbieVIPDined on 9/14/2014The food was very good and the prices were reasonable. A very large brunch selection. Very close to the opera house so a great place to dine pre-show but anticipate that it gets very crowded and the service suffers! They were able to customize the choices to accommodate various dietary requests which was a plus.Special Features:
- Dinner and a ShowshowstopperDined on 9/12/2014We chose Back Deck because of its proximity to the Boston Opera House. It is only a block away and we were very pleasantly surprised at how good the experience was. Food was great, service was great, ambiance was excellent! Only complaint was the bathrooms are very small and there was no toilet tissue in one of the two stalls.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/12/2014cute place, very pleasant service, food mediocre (vegetable and "creamy eggplant" rollup had NO eggplant and a few pieces raw veggies)
- Perfect quick bite before showRedmoore1127Dined on 9/11/2014Went here before a show the other night and we weren't disappointed. Food was fast, hot and good. Very nutritious too. We ended up getting served faster than expected so had time for a stroll before the performance. Would be good as an after show joint for drinks.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2014Food ok. But setting nice enough to give another try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new spot in Downtown CrossingDavidInBostonDined on 8/22/2014First time experience last weekend - it was great! Food presentations are interesting; everyone in our group (4) enjoyed their choices. Great vice - huge walk-through windows overlooking corner of Washington and West. Just down the block from Opera House, with validated parking across the street @ Lafayette Place.Special Features:
- JessicaDined on 8/20/2014Food was delicous; our server was EXCELLENT and you can't beat the pri-fixe menu we ate from. Everything else looked great also but it was a great deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would do it all over againluke5152Dined on 8/20/2014I am a person who doesn't use the phrase, "No complaints" but in the case of my experience at Back Deck, I can only say good things. The food, the service, the atmosphere was "all good." I will look forward to the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but good foodLudwigDined on 8/19/2014The open air concept is good but with all the construction going on it was too noisy. I think once the construction is over it will be very nice.Special Features:
- NickDined on 8/17/2014We were a moderate sized group with two kids. Weather was nice and the large windows were open, so it was comfortable and we did not have to compete with noise to have a conversation. We stuck to the dine out $33 menu. Apps were very good, highly recommend the grilled corn and hot wings. Our group ordered the stripped bass and flank steak. The bass was very good, the flank steaks were over cooked and tough. We were expecting better. Our server informed us that medium was very pink almost on the rare side. It was actually well done, no pink at all.... potatoes and spinach were very good. Dessert, would recommend the grilled peaches with ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerginnygirlDined on 8/16/2014Food was awesome, service was excellent! Our waiter surprised us with a delicious complimentary dessert. We had a group of 6 and had a great time!Special Features:
- Nice SurpriseFirstvisitDined on 8/16/2014Looking for gluten free options - found them here - good service - little bit tight sitting, but not enough to interfere with experience - definitely make a reservation.Special Features:
- Food was different yet greatGatorRaterDined on 7/28/2014It's eclectic as my friend would say. Not your normal meal and we loved it! Great flavor and taste. Have the corn it's fantastic. Also if you like watermelon in a salad go for it!Special Features:
- CoordinatorNICEYDined on 7/25/2014My first time here staff were friendly food was great.Special Features:
- brunchmusicalmomDined on 7/20/2014We had brunch before a show at the Boston Opera house.The banana french toast was yummy.So convient to the shows and parkingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater crowdFireDined on 7/19/2014Went for light dinner before Phantom. It's right down the street from Opera House The location was important to me. Served quickly got a tabke by open window ( no view just buikding construction ). It was casual dining. I swear had the best lobster salad sandwich ever ! The General Manager was attentive. I'd go again in a minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick bite before the theatreBTRADined on 7/17/2014Great service and good food. Enjoyed the lobster roll and pork tacos
- Cold foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Got the swordfish kabobs and the pulled pork tacos. Both were cold, and served quite sparingly.
- Wonderful......Again!BAMMDined on 7/15/2014Second time diners to The Back Deck & all 4 of us ate every single morsel!! We'll be back:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anne1bDined on 7/14/2014Our server was prompt and polite and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Back DeckphantomloversDined on 7/13/2014What an excellent find! Great food, service, and not rushed - even though it was on a busy theater night.Special Features:
- We love this placesandstone15Dined on 7/13/2014Just a block away from the Boston Opera House; very convenient if you're going to a show. Attractive, fun decor. Great food, great drinks. A real find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theater dinnerFoodieDined on 7/9/2014Great restaurant steps from local theaters and parking, they validate your parking at Lafayette garage discounting cost of parking for the evening. My friend raved about the salmon cobb salad, best she ever had! Prices are reasonable and service is quick and efficient. Menu varies from burgers to full entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining choiceTheaterloverDined on 7/5/2014We were looking for a nice place to eat lunch before a matinee production of Phantom. Finally we came across "Back Deck" online and it seemed perfect. We made a reservation online and we were seated right away when we got there. The waitress was excellent. Some of us ordered burgers and dome of us ordered breakfast foods. All the food was delicious! The atmosphere was fun because the restaurant has open windows at almost street level. So we could do a lot of people watching while we dined. It was very comfortable and were able to stay there for quite done time even after we finished our meal. By the time we left, the place was bustling. Great choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.