2 West Street
Boston, MA 02111Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.backdeckboston.com/
- Phone: 6176700320
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm; Saturday 3:00pm - 11:30pm; Sunday 3:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Paul Sussman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Back Deck offers professional backyard grilling in a laid-back city setting seven days a week. Friends and family meet for charcoal-grilled favorites inspired by the food served at casual cookouts along with porch-perfect cocktails, beer and wine.
- Private Party Contact: Mark Corcoran 8664171498
- Cross Street: Corner of Washington
- Public Transit: We are conveniently located next to the Downtown Crossing T stop and Silver Line Stop. We are just a short walk from Park Street, Chinatown and State Street stops.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We offer night and weekend parking validation of $2.00 off for local area lots.
A word from Back Deck
Back Deck offers professional backyard grilling in a laid-back city setting seven days a week. Back Deck brings the outdoors inside with details like exterior carriage lighting and glazed brick in the dining room and an open kitchen that invites guests to watch the flame-licked fun. Back serves polished takes on cookout classics as well as dishes cooked over an open flame at homes across the globe. Almost all of the menu is grilled on three hardwood charcoal grills hand-picked to accommodate many differing options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Back Deck reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (37)good for groups (36)neighborhood gem (36)late-night find (16)fit for foodies (15)kid-friendly (14)great for brunch (12)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (12)special occasion (10)vibrant bar scene (9)romantic (2)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great new spot in Downtown CrossingDavidInBostonDined on 8/22/2014First time experience last weekend - it was great! Food presentations are interesting; everyone in our group (4) enjoyed their choices. Great vice - huge walk-through windows overlooking corner of Washington and West. Just down the block from Opera House, with validated parking across the street @ Lafayette Place.Special Features:
- JessicaDined on 8/20/2014Food was delicous; our server was EXCELLENT and you can't beat the pri-fixe menu we ate from. Everything else looked great also but it was a great deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would do it all over againluke5152Dined on 8/20/2014I am a person who doesn't use the phrase, "No complaints" but in the case of my experience at Back Deck, I can only say good things. The food, the service, the atmosphere was "all good." I will look forward to the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but good foodLudwigDined on 8/19/2014The open air concept is good but with all the construction going on it was too noisy. I think once the construction is over it will be very nice.Special Features:
- NickDined on 8/17/2014We were a moderate sized group with two kids. Weather was nice and the large windows were open, so it was comfortable and we did not have to compete with noise to have a conversation. We stuck to the dine out $33 menu. Apps were very good, highly recommend the grilled corn and hot wings. Our group ordered the stripped bass and flank steak. The bass was very good, the flank steaks were over cooked and tough. We were expecting better. Our server informed us that medium was very pink almost on the rare side. It was actually well done, no pink at all.... potatoes and spinach were very good. Dessert, would recommend the grilled peaches with ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerginnygirlDined on 8/16/2014Food was awesome, service was excellent! Our waiter surprised us with a delicious complimentary dessert. We had a group of 6 and had a great time!Special Features:
- Nice SurpriseFirstvisitDined on 8/16/2014Looking for gluten free options - found them here - good service - little bit tight sitting, but not enough to interfere with experience - definitely make a reservation.Special Features:
- Food was different yet greatGatorRaterDined on 7/28/2014It's eclectic as my friend would say. Not your normal meal and we loved it! Great flavor and taste. Have the corn it's fantastic. Also if you like watermelon in a salad go for it!Special Features:
- CoordinatorNICEYDined on 7/25/2014My first time here staff were friendly food was great.Special Features:
- brunchmusicalmomDined on 7/20/2014We had brunch before a show at the Boston Opera house.The banana french toast was yummy.So convient to the shows and parkingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater crowdFireDined on 7/19/2014Went for light dinner before Phantom. It's right down the street from Opera House The location was important to me. Served quickly got a tabke by open window ( no view just buikding construction ). It was casual dining. I swear had the best lobster salad sandwich ever ! The General Manager was attentive. I'd go again in a minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick bite before the theatreBTRADined on 7/17/2014Great service and good food. Enjoyed the lobster roll and pork tacos
- Cold foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Got the swordfish kabobs and the pulled pork tacos. Both were cold, and served quite sparingly.
- Wonderful......Again!BAMMDined on 7/15/2014Second time diners to The Back Deck & all 4 of us ate every single morsel!! We'll be back:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anne1bDined on 7/14/2014Our server was prompt and polite and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Back DeckphantomloversDined on 7/13/2014What an excellent find! Great food, service, and not rushed - even though it was on a busy theater night.Special Features:
- We love this placesandstone15Dined on 7/13/2014Just a block away from the Boston Opera House; very convenient if you're going to a show. Attractive, fun decor. Great food, great drinks. A real find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theater dinnerFoodieDined on 7/9/2014Great restaurant steps from local theaters and parking, they validate your parking at Lafayette garage discounting cost of parking for the evening. My friend raved about the salmon cobb salad, best she ever had! Prices are reasonable and service is quick and efficient. Menu varies from burgers to full entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining choiceTheaterloverDined on 7/5/2014We were looking for a nice place to eat lunch before a matinee production of Phantom. Finally we came across "Back Deck" online and it seemed perfect. We made a reservation online and we were seated right away when we got there. The waitress was excellent. Some of us ordered burgers and dome of us ordered breakfast foods. All the food was delicious! The atmosphere was fun because the restaurant has open windows at almost street level. So we could do a lot of people watching while we dined. It was very comfortable and were able to stay there for quite done time even after we finished our meal. By the time we left, the place was bustling. Great choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Service was excellent...food was great!! Drove from CT to see Boston Opera show and had a great meal and the location was perfect...theatre was right next door....excellent experience...Special Features:
- disappointing experiencefoodie130Dined on 7/3/2014My husband had a sword fish and rice and I had a lobster roll. He didn't like his food and my lobster didn't taste very fresh. They had only one kind of light beer which wasn't my favorite and the waiter made us wait for a while to get another drink. When we asked him for the menu to see the wine option, and he came up with nothing in 10 minutes to ask us what he had wanted. When the food came the waiter started poking his face every 2 minutes asking if we were done but when we actually had to leave we were waiting with our empty plated for some time. We saw the tables around us with empty glasses and we were obviously the only people getting a good service. I wouldn't go back to this restaurant or recommend this place.Special Features:
- Great locationSoutherngirlwvDined on 7/3/2014The food was good but very small portions. The best part is how close it is to theaters and the Common and the cute little book store to browse while walking from convenient parking lot across the street. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to Opera HouseOperahousegoerDined on 7/2/2014We chose this restaurant because it was close to the Opera House. Service was great. Food was okay. My chicken was slightly dry, but the salad was awesome! My friends' said their non beef burgers were good. Wish the menu had a few more choices. I found it very limited. Would go back for a casual dinner before a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayelliebethmvDined on 6/28/2014This was near the theatre and a nice indoor/outdoor venue but the good was mediocre and the service very slow.Special Features:
- Solid but nothing to rave aboutdaydinerDined on 6/27/2014The food is good and the theater district location is great. The food was properly prepared but nothing really memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElaineDined on 6/27/2014Food was great. Loved the grilled chicken livers. Our server, Dean, was the best. Attentive, friendly and made our dining experience even better that night.
- Nothing too special but good enoughLauranapiranhaDined on 6/26/2014I went to back deck for dinner after always passing it on my way to work and thinking it had a good laid back vibe. I'm pretty sure my waitress forgot about my table bc she took foreverrrr to take our order. I got the chicken strawberry salad, there were plenty of strawberries but cheap on the chicken. My friend got the chicken wings and a side of fries. It would have been nice to get a warning that their fries were actually cut up like potato quarters.
- outstanding lunch !kaycibiDined on 6/18/2014my guest and i chose a simple salad for lunch. Wow! mine was perfectly ripe avocado, grapefruit, ahi tuna, and lettuce —perhaps the best simple healthy salad i've Ever had. my guest's more routine salad gave as much pleasure. i'd asked to sit by a window, and there we were. it was just right for a lovely, although business, lunch. the server was fine, if busy. there was a little confusion arriving, because the greeters/servers/ were racing at a most busy instant. yet, once we were seated we were able to talk quietly and exchange considerable content and information while having delicious lunch and coffee. a real treat right in downtown.Special Features:
- Extremely loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/16/2014Place is loud anyway, but now with construction across the street, and windows wide open because "it's part of our summer atmosphere" it's TOO loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/12/2014Nice place. Relaxing and comfortable. Liked the location and the view to the street.
- Bait-and-switchLauraDined on 6/6/2014We like dining at Back Deck before going to the movies or the theater because they are sensitive to one's schedule and their food is consistent. On our most recent visit, unfortunately, we had a little surprise on our bill. We ordered Narragansett ale, and were told that they didn't have it, but were serving the Narragansett summer ale in its place. We ordered it, had a nice dinner, and when we got the bill, noticed that the price on the summer ale was almost 50% higher than the listed price on the menu. When we inquired, the waitress told us that the summer ale was priced higher. We got the bait-and-switch. Be sure to ask for prices on anything that is not on the menu.Special Features:
- Great addition to the neighborhoodKatyDined on 5/30/2014My fiancee went here after work and before taking in a movie at the theater around the corner. It was a rainy night, but the front windows were still open, and the feeling of still being outside was so, so welcome. We had wine and bbq and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Having another upscale casual eatery in this neighborhood is such a boon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and convenientGilbyDined on 5/30/2014I was looking for a relaxed place for dinner before going to the Opera House, and discovered Back Deck on Open Table. On a Friday night at 6:00, the restaurant was not crowded or noisy, and a friend and I were able to enjoy casual dining in a pleasant atmosphere. The food seemed perfectly fine to me, maybe not exciting enough for foodies, but perfectly fine. Our server was attentive and we were on our way in good time. They don't have outdoor dining, but they do have large operable windows, so it feels like you are sitting in an outdoor space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy diningSailorWomanDined on 5/24/2014B.D. is just steps from the opera house. I've walked by it not even seeing it but I think there was scaffolding up or something. Downtown Crossing is up and coming. B.D. is inexpensive with tasty treats. Wait staff friendly and helpful. A nice neighborhood gem. Relaxing as if you were home on your deck. Smells of a wood fire. Very comfortable setting.Special Features:
- LuvgoodfoodandwineVIPDined on 5/22/2014Tasteless Cobb that usually got great reviews. Too thick, undercooked house fries that were musshy & bland. It's a less than. TGIF meets mall food court experience. The reviews are totally off!
- Great for pre-ballet brunchFussyDined on 5/18/2014A group of us met for brunch late Sunday morning before attending a ballet matinee. The location is perfect being steps from the Opera House. Excellent, friendly and efficient service. The food is very good and attractively served. The noise level is subdued which made it easy for our group of older people to have a conversation. The brunch entree prices are surprisingly low and our meal was an excellent value.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysdancergrrlDined on 5/17/2014Never have a bad experience here! The food and drinks are always good and a good price.Special Features:
- Great FindKathyMDined on 5/17/2014We went for a bite before going to the Opera House. Food was very good. We split a few plates. The grilled vegetables and eggplant dip were really good. We also shared a salad spinach, strawberries, almond, gorgonzola..etc. Again it was good but we added grilled chicken which was a little dry. Would absolutely return. Loved the decor and atmosphere and would try some of the skewers. They looked really good passing by the table.Special Features:
- alittlejstillzDined on 5/16/2014I enjoyed my meal here. The service was a little slow, but the waiter was very kind when my burger came out on the wrong kind of bun (it was supposed to be gluten free). He noticed it before I took the first bite. That was great. I also love the ambiance.
- Open windows and savory grilldavescatVIPDined on 5/16/2014We enjoyed our grilled selections at Back Deck, and some unusual but tasty appetizers. The aroma of the grill was terrificSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.