Back Bay Social Club
867 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Back Bay Social Club
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.backbaysocialclub.com/
- Phone: (617) 247-3200
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:00am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 1:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Tim Raines
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Back Bay Social Club
'According to both the Boston Herald and the Boston Globe, the Back Bay Social Club will be opening in the old Vinny T's spot on Boylston Street, which is between Fairfield and Gloucester Streets and across from the Prudential Center and the Hynes Convention Center. The Herald mentions that the restaurant will have a capacity of 200 and will be open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The Lyons Group, which is behind the Summer Shack, La Verdad, House of Blues, Kings, and a number of other Boston-area spots, is also behind the opening of the Back Bay Social Club.'-Boston Restaurant TalkContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Back Bay Social Club reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (21)good for groups (18)fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (11)great for outdoor dining (9)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (8)romantic (7)late-night find (6)special occasion (5)notable wine list (3)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- foodloverVIPDined on 11/14/2014Service was terrible. Nobody came to our table for around 10 minutes after being seated and then a manager came over to take our drink order. Waitress finally came by with our drinks and to take food order. I asked to replace mashed potatoes with some broccolini (no problem) but when my dish came half the plate was a giant pile of vegetables. Very unappetizing. When we were done with our meal nobody came by to clear away the plates. The waitress came by and we asked for our check, she still didn't clear away the plates (or have anyone else do it). She brought the check, plates still there but she did nothing. They were still on the table when we left. Would never go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/14/2014I've been to BBSC so many times over the past 3-4 years, it was usually a regular go to spot for me. They used to have an interesting menu and drink list that would change seasonally and it made for a good brunch or dinner spot. Over the past year the menu has gotten stale so I stopped going as much. This weekend we decided to give it another shot. The atmosphere is always pleasant and it was packed as expected on the weekend. We got a table downstairs which was fine. Our waitress was nice but when we put in a drink order it went downhill. We ordered 2 fairly standard cocktails, though admittedly not on their menu. They had no clue what it was (should have been a warning sign?) and when we got our drinks they were pretty bad but we decided not to make an issue of it. The food was also very "blah" - my meal too oily, my guests was just bland without much flavor. But insult came when we got the bill... $16 each for the terrible drinks, which is almost 2x what several other restaurants in the area charge. I was ready to just forget about things and move on but that really upset me. Safe to say I won't be back anytime soon. Feels like they need to change things up a bit, it's kind of lost its charm.
- Good times!MsEricaDined on 11/11/2014great for brunch, good for groups, notable wine list, vibrant bar scene, neighborhood gem, fit for foodiesSpecial Features:
- Comfort food, pretty peopleShannonVIPDined on 11/7/2014Trendy speakeasy bar and tables downstairs with more modern posh bar upstairs. Food was mostly very good. Standouts included the chicken and waffles, not at all sticky sweet which I enjoyed. The roast chicken was good as was the brisket. Skip the Mac and cheese though- very bland. Large drink selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Juicy burgers, crispy friesknievelsmomDined on 10/30/2014One of the best burgers I've ever eaten. Staff aim to please. Atmosphere is like an old school club -- dark, nice wood, low lighting -- with lots of space around individual tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hate the BasementNEgalDined on 10/25/2014I was very disappointed and surprised to be seated in the basement after making reservations a week prior. I was not even aware there was a basement, but a different scene down there. Was looking for a casual dinner, mature scene to catch up with an old friend and found myself in a dark, dusty basement surrounded by 20 somethings, ready to get their weekend started. It was loud, ambiance was terrible and I felt like I was eating dinner in the midst of a college bar. The service was slow, but in the server's defense, she was dealing with a table of 15 who requested seperate checks. I've been to this establishment several times and generally find it a good place for a bite and drinks, until I was shoved in the basement. Not happy.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 10/25/2014Banished to the basement & forgotten. Poor food with service to match. Never again.
- Chicken and WafflesOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/24/2014Went with a group of co-workers and we all got (and split) the burger, and the chicken and waffles. None of us were disapointed. Asked for syrup and it made the waffles even better!Special Features:
- Good burgerNOITALLDined on 10/24/2014Big place, loud, pricing was ok for back bay where many places are $$$. Burger and fries were as rated but at $22 a bit steep. Another one of had mussels and liked, and the brisket was well rated. Cocktails on par with other places in the hood, except the jacks abbey brew at $9... So, overall good, and could get in no prob on a Friday night.
- Best Burger in Boston!InSearchofGreatFoodDined on 10/9/2014I had a conference in Boston last week. I did a search for the Best Burgers in Boston and the Social Burger was on the list. What intrigued me was a burger made of Prime Rib, Short Rib, Flank & Skirt steak. We all ordered the burger for lunch. One tip - the Social Burger is not on the lunch menu, but you can order it anytime. Do not mess around with the others. This one is one of the best burgers I've ever had. Top 5 for sure. The burgers arrived at the table and we all commented that the thing looked perfect. Burger matched the bun exactly. When you cut it open you immediately realize that this one is going to be special. Mine was perfectly Medium Rare. Fries are excellent. Sausage app and the califlower app were excellent. Must do!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NewcomerVIPDined on 9/21/2014The restaurant was in a great location and had a very comfortable quiet setting. They had outdoor seating, which must be wonderful if the weather is nice. The food was excellent. The service was very attentive, but moved on slower pace.Special Features:
- Social club not dining clubBostonistaVIPDined on 9/12/2014Great outdoor seating with a good view of Boylston. Food wasn't bad but a little pricey. Ordered an appetizer but it came out after the entrees were served, and we were half way through with dinner...Special Features:
- bar/restaurantCharlesDined on 9/11/2014Overall we had an enjoyable time. The food was delicious although the portions were disappointing for the price. The service was great except that the guy with the water came by anytime someone took a sip and would interrupt us to ask if he could fill our water glass. This happened probably 15-20 times. The ambiance is nice except that there is a very vibrant bar right next to where we sat and we could hardly hear each other speak. I would probably return for the bar, but not to eat when the bar is busy.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceToscafansDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I had an early dinner here on Saturday night. My husband ordered two appetizers: oysters and tuna. He loved both. The tuna was rare and delicious. The oysters were huge and plentiful. I had seared scallops with creamed corn - outstanding. The corn was sweet with bacon adding smoke. I thought three scallops looked light but I was wrong, I struggled to finish. The dinner was delicious and we will return We need to point out that for some reason our dinner was very slow to arrive. Without a complaint from us, the manager on duty came to our table, apologized and covered our drinks. We were pleasantly surprised and very impressed. In fact all of the service was top notch. The Back Bay Social Club has two more fans!Special Features:
- takemeoutVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had an early dinner before a concert. They had no trouble with us sharing dishes although we were on our own with splitting the dishes and had to ask for an extra empty plate. One dish we chose was a very innovative mussel appetizer; used corn, great farm to table application. If you love mussels and it is on the menu, I recommend that you try it.Special Features:
- Yummy!MMB02116Dined on 8/20/2014I hosted a client here for lunch and the food and service were great! My only regret was that their outdoor space doesn't have any umbrellas so we could not enjoy our meal outside on a glorious summer day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the burgers here!JojoDined on 8/15/2014This is a great spot for lunch or dinner. The burger is in my top five, although the high price tag keeps me from coming often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 352 reviews are from the Back Bay Social Club reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/18/2014Server Molly was fantastic! Very friendly, and knowledgeable concerning food and wine choices. Resturant noise was at a level where you could comfortably speak to your dining companions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Dinner at Social ClubAlisonVIPDined on 7/15/2014Three of us for dinner - we sampled the gnocchi, swordfish and tagliatelle with shrimp - every one of us devoured our meals. Wait-staff is efficient, pleasant and accommodating. The meals had enough pizzazz while still being hearty. The gnocchi is a little heavy on the dill. Meat candy is phenomenal.
- Good drinks/vibeBottomlessDined on 7/11/2014The drinks we ordered were great and the service was very good. I would return here; better for smaller groups.
- Enjoyed the Oysters24hrescapeDined on 6/26/2014The food was excellent and we were really fortunate to enjoy the "Happy Hour" Special on Oysters - a real treat-very fresh and delicious as well as a bargain. Our server was EXCELLENT. The drinks were great- delicious with fresh ingredients. Our only complaint was portion size on the scallops entree. Would have gladly paid more for a larger portion. Three scallops didn't do it us. Seemed more like an appetizer portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!EllieAwesomeDined on 6/24/2014We ended up opting to sit at the bar and it was great! The bartenders were nice and attentive, even though it was crowded. Instead of ordering entrees, we got an assortment of appetizers for the variety. Everything was delicious, especially the calamari. I've eaten here once or twice before in the past and the food has been consistently stellar, I would come here again in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor BostonPaddyODined on 6/24/2014Great find for a warm summer night. Good vibe, great food, great service. There are several reviews on other sites stating that service isn't great. We did not find this to be true.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunch outside was greatIlovespicyfoodVIPDined on 6/22/2014great value, server was cute and attentive, they forgot some of our drinks but came round eventually. Food was very good and very reasonably priced, I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great First DateJonesDined on 6/20/2014Was told "points if you can find a place that makes a mean Negroni." I had no idea what this drink was, and after a little research I found out what it was but also where to get one in Boston. According to my date (who was very pleased), it was a great variation on the Negroni. We each had a couple of cocktails off their special menu and had a good time. We had a booth so it was a little quieter; I think if we were at the bar it might have been a bit too loud. A few degrees warmer and we'd have sat outside. Great place.Special Features:
- Great foodAtownOriginalDined on 6/5/2014Try the calamari. It's amazing. The scallops were perfectly cooked and the cocktails were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, great vibe!AlisonVIPDined on 5/31/2014We enjoyed an excellent meal and highly recommend the "meat candy" and cheeseboard which were excellent group apps. Everyone loved their meal and the vibe inside felt fun and chill. We could hear each other well, although we couldn't hear our neighbors which made the evening great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- family brunch/lunchNattylaskyDined on 5/17/2014they were one of the few restaurants that could take a large group over graduation weekend. We had a wide range of ages and food preferences and their menu offering for 11:30 on a Sunday was perfect. Some in our group ordered lunch items while others had breakfast. Everyone was very pleased with the food and there were lots of empty plates, mine included. I had the turkey burger which was fresh and juicy. I highly recommend it. A few people in the group had their spicy blood mary which was very good. Service was very good - friendly & knowledgeable staff. We sat inside but they have a nice outdoor space that had filled up by the time we were leaving. Will definitely be coming back!!Special Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/11/2014The $1 oysters were fabulous, but the California Benedict and Chicken Caesar salads were just mediocre. Our waitress was fantastic.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 000000VIPDined on 5/10/2014Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for the burgerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2014We both had the burger which was delicious and tasted more like steak than an actual burger but, I've had better and for less. The burger at Brownstone not too far from BBSC has more flavor and is one of the best burgers I've had FOR ONLY $12. The fries were good as well and the drinks were strong. The noise level was high and the bar crowded but that's to be expected at 9:30 on a Saturday night. We got the Alaska dessert which I could have done without. There was too much meringue and the brownie was rock solid. I'd probably go back but would get something other than the burger.Special Features:
- Good service for groupMeshoo16Dined on 5/3/2014They accommodated a large group of us for my fiancées birthday. The waiter was attentive and everyone was pleased with the food. Would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place - This visit was ehCHM1VIPDined on 4/19/2014I love Back Bay Social Club. I dream of their burger. This most recent visit was just okay. It was pretty busy given the marathon weekend but the service wasn't what it usually is. Another disappointment was that I asked for my burger to be cooked medium and it came out rare to medium rare. I didn't bother sending it back because the service was slower than usual. Will definitely go back but I hope the next time I visit BBSC it is the way I always remember it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been to the Back BayBud2Dined on 4/12/2014I have been to the Back Bay Social Club many times and the food is always excellent. My visit there this weekend was no different. I am writing this review to focus on the service. Our waiter, Corey, was not attentive and when he did come around, he rushed us. For example, it took us 20 minutes to get a round of drinks, and when the round finally came he immediately asked us if we would be getting another round. The food also took half an hour to come out. When we decided we might not get another round, he immediately brought us the checks. Call me crazy but a table that ordered food and 2 rounds of drinks would probably order at least one other round if given the chance. Whats the rush? You are only hurting your tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a trendy night outOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/5/2014Good for a trendy night out with friends. Food was decent but nothing spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a restaurant for diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/5/2014Not a restaurant for dining and conversation. The bar upstairs very loud, probably good for kids. The dining room downstairs probably would have been okay except for the loud piped in music. Not a place I would go again, a very unpleasant experience.Special Features:
- Great food, great crowdEPODEVIPDined on 4/4/2014Great food, great cocktails and overall a really good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchMelRoweDined on 3/30/2014Brunch was great. I got "The Treatment" and it was a massive plate!! It came with fried chicken and waffle with two eggs however you like them and then toast and meat (bacon or sausage). It would be a great splitting item. The couple I went with split that and got a lunch menu item and worked out very well. I also had a bloody mary. You are better off getting the spicy bloody because for a dollar more it is bigger too. The normal bloody mary has a good spice to it though. My friend had the "gin something" and it was very good. Overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went here before a showWellfleetDined on 3/22/2014We went here before a show at Berklee. What a great find. the service was great - the food was really good. I has the scallops, my friend had the salmon. Both we're excellent - especially the side dishes the came with them (butternut squash risotto for me). I would go back!Special Features:
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2014A group of six of us went last Friday night for a friend's birthday. We waited about twenty minutes for our drinks and an hour for our food order. Both the cocktails and food were good, but took a long time to receive them.Special Features: