Back Bay Bistro
1131 Back Bay Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Back Bay Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.newportdunes.com/back-bay-bistro/
- Phone: 9497291144x
- Hours of Operation:
Closed: Monday & Tuesday
Lunch: Wednesday ~ Friday 11:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Wednesday ~ Sunday 5:30pm - Close
Happy Hour: Wednesday ~ Sunday 4:00pm - 7:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 9:00am - 2:00pm
(2) hour maximum on Brunch dining, last Reservation is 1:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bruno Massuger
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Whether you're planning a beach front wedding, a business meeting for employees or an event to thank them for their hard work, there is a perfect spot at the beach waiting for you.
Unique meeting rooms provide the ideal setting for both business and pleasure. These rooms are well-suited for meetings, break-outs, seminars, receptions, and sit down dinners. Check out our new holiday menus for 2012.
To arrange a personal tour of our resort, or to request additional information regarding your next corporate event, please contact our Sales and Catering office at (949) 729-3800 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
A word from Back Bay Bistro
Enjoy waterfront dining at its finest at the NEW Back Bay Bistro, located at the entrance of the Back Bay in Newport Beach California. Enjoy breakfast, lunch, or dinner on this elegantly designed patio in a casual, friendly atmosphere. A state of the art retractable roof allows guests to dine year-round, with a great view of the bay & marina.Continued
The Back Bay Bistro offers (2) hours of free self parking with validation and outside patio is dog friendly dining.
The Back Bay Bistro offers (2) hours of free self parking with validation and outside patio is dog friendly dining.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Back Bay Bistro - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Back Bay Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (53)great for outdoor dining (43)good for groups (38)great for brunch (34)special occasion (25)great for lunch (24)kid-friendly (18)neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (11)romantic (11)notable wine list (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Did Not Care for My SaladOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2014I didn't care for my Cobb salad as the menu stated it came with shrimp and it was delivered with a pile of about 40 canned baby shrimp. I would expect this type of restaurant to use fresh large shrimp that was been grilled or roasted. The salad smelled awful because of the shrimp. I didn't touch that half of the salad. Just shocked to see canned shrimp on a $13 salad in Newport Beach.Special Features:
- Outstanding Sunday BrunchIPv6Dined on 9/21/2014After eating here a few times, someone recommended the Sunday Brunch and all I can say is wow! King crab legs, prime rib, smoked salmon, plus all the usual breakfast foods (kids especially loved the chocolate fountain). View over the Back Bay is beautiful and the ambiance is very cool. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!KevDawgDined on 9/20/2014Have been here a few times and always keep coming back. Great staff, great view and great food.Special Features:
- LnJMDined on 9/20/2014Great service and pretty location. Food was okay, nothing to be missed. Took our moms to meet since we're getting married next year. Was a nice time overall.Special Features:
- Gem on the bayWestsidedinerDined on 9/13/2014Lovely restaurant, great view and food, friendly staff and servers. Service was slow due to staff shortage, but we enjoyed extra time watching beautiful sunset on the water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and good scenic view.FoodGirlDined on 9/5/2014Had crab cakes which were excellent! The shrimp pasta was to die for! The strawberry cocktails are a most and the clans with garlic were tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014Reluctantly we decided to walk to Back Bay Bistro from the Hyatt Regency, where we we're staying. We didn't want yo drive anywhere and we didn't want to eat at the hotel. We're we SURPRISED!! The food was over the top good! I had Sitline Chix and my husband had tuna. Both so outstanding we went for lunch the following day. We'd been at the Fashion Island Mall and opted for BBB instead of anyplace there. Again outstanding!! Their Fish & Chips are The Best! Our view as we dined outside by the water was the marina full of beautiful yachts.Special Features:
- Best brunch around!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/17/2014We love going for their brunch. If you're a crab lover, Sunday is the place to go.Special Features:
- Not my first time at Back BaySeanalamadingdongDined on 8/17/2014I always enjoy the food here. They are always refilling food, and all look fresh throughout the service. All you can drink champagne helps settle the stomach between buffet courses, while just being outside feeds the need for a great view. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- topdogDined on 8/16/2014good, although seemed to be a little slow on service due to lack of staffSpecial Features:
- Avoid!Like2eatitalianVIPDined on 8/16/2014This was our second time there. The first time, the service was so bad we got free dessert and apologies from the manager. We decided to give it another chance. They were out of our 1st 2 choices and it was only 7PM on a Sat night. We asked for bread when appetizers were brought. We asked again when our salads came. After we had gotten half-way through our main courses, bread was finally brought , that was after being seated one hour and ten minutes. The waiter told us they ran out and it took 15 minutes to make fresh. When we pointed out It was much longer than that time, he said ,"that's the way it is." When water was refilled, the one time that it was, we were given Sprite by mistake. The food was average. I would never go back.Special Features:
- Happy Hour PlusOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/16/2014Don't know about brunch, lunch, or late night. We went for the happy hour but ended up with dinner in the restaurant. It's classy & casual. We'll go back.Special Features:
- Felt rushedMariaDined on 8/10/2014They accepted our reservation for 145pm even thought their brunch closes at 2pm. It felt rushed and one of the employees told us that the buffet was closed very rudely when we went for 2nds, we got food anyway. The serving utensils had been removed and we asked 2 people for serving utensils and waited what seemed like a while. It wasn't welcoming. I would not go here again. Our waiter was amazing. We sat outside so getting the food was an inconvenience because of the stairs we had to take. We could have sat inside but it was a beautiful day. The hostess also told us that outside sitting was hot and not shaded but when we looked outside, you can clearly see the seating was shaded. Not sure why the hostess was discouraging outside sitting.Special Features:
- Fabulous BrunchTerryBDined on 8/10/2014We had an outstanding Sunday brunch at Back Bay Bistro. Pricey, but you get your money's worth. Unbelievable selection of food and the quality is the best I've ever seen at a buffet.Special Features:
- Decent but not stellarfcoatlDined on 8/3/2014Made reservations for a special brunch for my daughter, her friends and mothers before leaving for college. Specifically requested an outdoor table and was told they would accommodate us and even confirmed that while we were en route to the restaurant but then they did not when we arrived. We ended up sitting inside. The food was decent but the staff refilling the buffet was sloppy. There was food all over the floor they were not picking up. Our server Santos was very attentive and charming. The ambiance was far less than what I hoped for. The clientele was shabbily dressed - men wearing ball caps indoors, one guy wearing pajama pants, etc. Based on the price for Sunday brunch I'd have to say I probably won't go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Great view for dinner. Food was pretty good. Service was ok. Clean and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service ever!!!bh75Dined on 8/2/2014We reserved a table for 16 and when we arrived they were seating us at two different tables. We requested one table and the manager said that they couldn't combine two tables altho the restaurant was half empty and there were many tables. After talking to the manager for 15 min he agreed to seat us in a private room since we were celebrating a 75 th birthday. He was very rude and unpleasant and the service was terribly slow and unacceptable, (we had to ask for water 3 times!) I would never go back and especially tell others never to plan a special event there!
- FantasticLearmanDined on 7/26/2014They accommodated our group of 25 for Saturday brunch. Really great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back Bay BistroSteakloverVIPDined on 7/13/2014I'm sure many people go to the Back Bay Bistro (by Newport Dunes) because it has great views of boats and paddle boarders on the back bay, or because they can enjoy a brunch with lots of choices for a fair price without having to get dressed up. Or maybe they like dining in the glass building with sea breezes coming through. But, in addition to this, the food at dinnertime is very, very good. I had the diver scallops with risotto recently and it was absolutely delicious. Every time I have eaten there, I have been very happy with the food, and the servers who are very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleRedskies373Dined on 7/13/2014Overpriced with poor food and even. Poorer service. I would not recommend this place to anyone
- Great for large GroupsWedineoutlocalDined on 7/12/2014We had a party of 10 for a birthday cekebeation. Able to dock our boat and had gre as the service. The hostess was very friendly and our wait staff were attentive. Fun place to go. .Food excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!TakeSuggestionsOrNotDined on 7/11/2014Seven of us went for a b-day celebration. We all had a difficult time narrowing down our preferences. The kitchen was VERY accommodating to a few changes. One of the changes, though, was because the kitchen ran out of the type of fish originally ordered. Our reservations were for 8pm. By the time we settled to order it was 8:30pm. We ordered appetizers, they arrived rather quickly and then we were told to order our entrees quickly because the kitchen closes at 9pm. When we arrived we were told we would receive a complimentary b-day dessert, which we did; it was fantastic. After it was brought, we asked for additional desserts and were told the kitchen was already closed, but after talking with the waiter, he corrected the situation.Special Features:
- 4th of JulyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014We ate our buffet and watched the fireworks from our table. We really enjoyed the evening!Special Features:
- July 4th at Back Bay BistromarisaDined on 7/4/2014The food was so bad...we paid a lot to dine there on July 4th and the buffet was mediocre at best. We had to go out and order pizzas from the nearby pizza truck that was nearby so we had something to eat. We had a family of 6 there that evening so the bill came to over $ 350 for the evening. The worst part about it is that they did not let us know in advance that parking fee next to the restaurant was $ 50.00 !!! Outrageous to say the least. I would definitely share this with our friends...it was dismal. Sincerely, Mrs. M. Green
- Horrible food...YuckyVIPDined on 7/2/2014I will not be back, had the Ahi, covered with spice and glaze that did not belong together. Rice undercooked. Waitress seemed less than interested in being there!
- French cook...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014... means excellent food "à point"! Steak and fries could not be better. Chowder can easily compete with East Coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oldgopheroldgopherDined on 6/26/201455 years of date nights for us. It was too cool and breezy for us to enjoy the patio dining, which we would have preferred. Will try again sometime in the near future.Special Features:
- not as good as expected for dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/22/2014Bartender Scott was great. Sunday night is not the time to go.food was mediocre.Special Features:
- Great for large groupLeonDined on 6/22/2014Wonderful location right on the water with views of Newport's Back Bay. We had a private room which was a bit out of the way, yet Jisel and the wait staff were great and attentive. The brunch menu was well rounded with lots of choices for every pallet. Large selection of seafood (crab legs, oysters, shrimp, salmon, lox, sashimi) Bottom-less champagne, so all the adults were happy. Plus, valet parking. The location is what truly makes this place special and we could not have picked out a better locale for our graduation party. In fact, we are already planning a Christmas brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OK.FranciscoDined on 6/21/2014Food was quite good but the service was spotty. Everyone was very pleasant but they seemed disorganized. There were long waits for drinks, long waits for somebody to ask for table settings because they didn't notice we had none even when delivering food to the table etc. A female companion said the ladies restroom was disgusting.
- Best kept secrete in newportUESGGVIPDined on 6/21/2014our mimosa glasses were NEVER empty! 2 thumbs up! the service was great. it had live music and everything. the venue is great and would be perfect for a family brunch or even a rehearsal dinner for a wedding!Special Features:
- Everything was perfect except...MommyLovesFoodDined on 6/15/2014I will definitely return here with my family but the only irritating part was the restaurant "ran out of high chairs" on Fathers Day. In looking around, I saw maybe 2-3 in the entire place. I have a 10 month old and all they had was a booster which doesn't work for a child his age since he wants to go go go so I had to try and eat quickly with one hand and hold him down with the other. They ended up borrowing from another restaurant but our meal was already over. Also id called ahead for a specific table and a high chair and told no problem at all & got there and was told that my request wasn't honored since they were busy?! Besides these issues the food, our server Sabrina and the ambience was amazing. Just needs to be more kid friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeUnhappydinerDined on 6/14/2014We went for brunch with the family and had a great time. Little slow start with the service but picked up during our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time!OCDINERVIPDined on 6/13/2014This was our first time dining at Back Bay Bistro, and it was excellent! The sea bass is one of the best I have ever eaten! My wife and I will definitely be back! The sunset was amazing!Special Features:
- Over priced and too noisy insideBobbiDined on 6/8/2014Too expensive for the quality of food. $35 would be a more realistic price for Brunch. Would not return, nor suggest it to others.Special Features:
- The following 772 reviews are from the Back Bay Bistro reviews archive.
- Nice placeAfshDined on 5/31/2014I think a great place for lunch/brunch. Dinner a bit quiet. Very nice view and food/service was great. Outdoor dining fantastic on a nice day.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014Wine list very poor! Need to expand the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food if you can get to it.BradianneDined on 5/30/2014Difficult to find, even with GPS. Go through a guard shack and he said, "Way in the back over there." After a few hundred yards. we spotted what might be a restaurant building. The parking lot was massive with no cars to speak of and two guys milling around in front of the building. We pulled up and asked if this was the Back Bay Bistro. He said it was and the parking was valet at a charge of $5.00. The driver said he preferred to park his own car. We were directed to park where there were no cones. We did so and got yelled at to park completely out of the area about 100 yards away. This was crazy and did not set a good tone for the evening. The "Wine expert" was insulting and the food service people great. We won't be back!Special Features:
- Date Nite...whatareyouhavingDined on 5/29/2014...Thursdays $29 for 2 read their ad, sounded like a great idea, dinner on the patio, view of the water, sun setting. Made reservation. They called and said outdoors only because special event booked all indoors, was that okay? That was thoughtful! Weather was great so no problem. Service was a little slow, but we sipped our cocktails and enjoyed the view, crowd noise was not intrusive. Dinner for 2 was 1 shared app, 1 shared entree and 1 shared dessert. Food was so-so. Service remained pleasant and smiling though very busy working special event and regular guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turned around a bad situationtabithaVIPDined on 5/29/2014Made reservations @ BBB thru open table only to find out that the entire restuarant had been booked by a charity and only outside dining was available. Was with my father who does not like to eat outside(food gets cold, he gets cold-he's 94). Although the hostess said she called everyone with reservations as to the only area to eat was outside I received no message. The heat lamps were not working and the sun was setting. The waitress did everything within her power to make it better. We were set to leave. The beverage manager came by and apolegized and offered us complimentary anything on the menue. Well a good martinee can make anything better. We stayed and enjoyed the shrimp scampi (was great!) and will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.