Bacchus Wine Bar & Restaurant
54 West Chippewa
Buffalo, NY 14202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bacchus Wine Bar & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ultimaterestaurants.com/bacchus/
- Phone: (716) 854-9463
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian Mietus
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Visit our website at www.ultimaterestaurants.com for information on Exquisite Catering, Bacchus' partner company.
- Entertainment: Our Summer Film Series provides a truly incredible evening......classic films, great food & service, under the stars in the privacy of our newly renovated courtyard.....reservations recommended.....every Wednesday with occasional encore viewing on Thursday's.
- Special Events: Friend us on Facebook for special event notifications.
A word from Bacchus Wine Bar & Restaurant
Bacchus wine bar and restaurant is located in the historic Calumet building in the heart of Buffalo's entertainment district. A seasonal menu highlights the best available ingredients from local and regional farms. Together with our Wine Spectator award winning wine list, this elegant yet casual restaurant has continually been ranked as one of Buffalo's bestContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Bacchus Wine Bar & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Buffalo ›
Bacchus Wine Bar & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (62)fit for foodies (58)romantic (58)notable wine list (46)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (35)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (11)great for outdoor dining (9)late-night find (8)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Bacchus is OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014The atmosphere, service and cuisine at Bacchus were top notch! We will definitely be back and will recommend it to all of our friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maple Leafs FansTMLFanDined on 11/15/2014The service was very friendly and excellent. We advised them beforehand that we were going to the Sabres v Leafs game. Food was delicious and made to order, if necessary - our one daughter is a bit fussy. We would go back to Buffalo just to go to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentKPSHDined on 11/8/2014Wonderful dining experience - great food and wonderful wine list! Highly recommended!!!Special Features:
- Wonderful pre-theatre spot!NewtoBuffaloDined on 11/8/2014We love this place! Perfect place to go for a wonderful dinner before Sheas theater. Walking distance! We just celebrated our anniversary there and they made it very special for us. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- EnjoyableWheretodine3Dined on 11/8/2014Food was great esp. The steak that my husband ordered you could cut it with a fork it was delicious my small plates special that I ordered were tasty. The wine was excellent. My six friends all enjoyed their meals. The restaurant was a great find we will be coming back againSpecial Features:
- Just love this placeLaraDined on 11/7/2014I love everything about Bacchus! Ambiance is awesome- like a hip NYC restaurant. Food is fantastic- love the small plate options & specials. Wine list is always top notch, and our server was one of the best ever! (I wish I could remember his name!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mama Mia EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2014We enjoy this restaurant on evenings when we go to theatre. The Service, food, wine list is one of the best finds in Buffalo. We had Tuna, salmon and one of the evening's specials. We had guests from Ohio and we all agreed that Bacchus is OUTStANDING. We will definitiely return to dine next time we have theatre reservations in the evening.Special Features:
- Excellent!Jenna522Dined on 11/4/2014Service And food were outstanding! Can't wait to come back in the summer for the movie nightsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistent quality every time we goMstahlkaDined on 11/1/2014We love Bacchus. They valet your car and you can make your reservation on open table, those two things made us give this restaurant a try. What we found was amazing food, some of the friendliest most knowledgeable servers around and an awesome wine list. Chef does great specials every night and everything we have ordered has been excellent. Nice touch with water bottles on each table and the bread and olive oil/ balsamic is a cool trick. We eat all around WNY and we keep coming back here, convenient, predictable and you leave with a guaranteed smile in your face!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous DinnerHelbDined on 11/1/2014We arrived early for our dinner and we're seated right away. We each had an appetizer, entrée and we split a delicious Sticky Toffee dessert and the waiter helped us choose wine. I had the salmon and my husband had the tuna and both are just delicious. Very flavorful and good presentation. Will definitely return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delectable DiningMarkVIPDined on 10/24/2014We had the butternut squash soup with a wonderful salad then we split the halibut which was incredible! Followed up by a French press coffee with a chocolate tort and also the crème brûlée. Delicious!Special Features:
- A challenging evening!GoodFoodieDined on 10/24/2014An excellent meal in all respects, notable because restaurant week, Friday night, young waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TwiceamonthdinerTwiceamonthdinerDined on 10/23/2014To start with,love the valet parking! We have visited Bacchus on many occasions ... The service is aLWAY It is evident that the true fine dining experience is of great value to your establishment. Your staff work in harmony to create a wonderful and comfortable experience for each guest they serve. The management staff is also familiar with the needs of both their patrons and those providing service. It is an exquisite balance. The food is always consistent and the menu is comfortably eclectic. It is a evident your chef possesses a culinary confidence that serves to benefit those who frequent his or her dining space.Special Features:
- Consistently AmazingwineandfoodDined on 10/18/2014I have visited Bacchus more than a few times at this point, always with different company and for different special occasions. However, regardless of which menu (spring/fall/winter/summer) is being featured or which specials are available, who serves us that night, or which day of the week it is or the time of reservation, this restaurant ALWAYS impresses!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014dinner was very good the service was excellent! very nice overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NightoutDined on 10/11/2014Wonderful service, especially the hostess and young man working the valet parking. The food was a bit rich, but was presented well. The tables for two seem too long to promote a more intimate conversation, but overall we really enjoyed our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic meal and great service!SouthtownsfoodieDined on 10/10/2014Took some out of town friends there for dinner and I have to admit... Bacchus wasn't my first choice.... To my surprise... Every thing... I mean everything was wonderful. Our waiter was wonderful and not overbearing, ravioli dish and filets prepared perfectly! The free valet parking is great as parking in that area is always a challenge. Thank you Bacchae for a great night! We will definitely be back great job Bacchus... Wouldn't change a thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner before the theaternoroomfordessertDined on 10/9/2014My wife and I enjoyed an outstanding dinner before Shea's. My Ahi Tuna was without equal and ranks as one of the best meals I have ever had. This was not an exception at Bacchus however, because each time we dine there we are always extremely pleased. I great place before the theater with complimentary valet parking and a friendly waitstaff that is aware of the opening curtin. I look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableIlsaYankeeFanDined on 10/9/2014Took a friend before going to Shea's. Had several small plates. Delicious.Special Features:
- Great food, fair serviceJonathanDined on 10/8/2014When we walked it, hostess was warm and inviting. Grabbed a drink at the bar, good drinks, bartender was friendly and on-point. Server was slow to arrive at our table and from there on out she just wasn't attentive to us. It was a Wednesday night, 10/8/14, and the restaurant was hardly busy. Our appetizer was delicious but the server timed out meal wrong and we waited fifteen minutes after eating our app for our dinner to arrive. I asked for dessert menu and again, 15 minutes later she comes back to ask if I want dessert. Again, too long. I didn't order because who knows how long it would take her to get it to me. The server can make or break the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderful!RobinDined on 10/8/2014We had dinner at Bacchus before the opening night at Shea's, and it was a perfect experience. From the valet, to the hostess, to the waiter - all were attentive but not over-bearing. The food is always of very high-quality, and the waiter took his time to explain how particular cuts of meat are usually prepared and if we were accepting. My husband and I had the ahi tuna, which was perfectly prepared. We were able to keep our car parked with the restaurant while we attended the show, and we retrieved it without any wait. It's always pleasant to be asked when we leave how our experience was, and we have always said, "perfect"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceJohnDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I decided to try Bacchus as we celebrated our anniversary. Complementary valet parking was great, especially on a rainy night. Warm feeling as soon as you enter the restaurant. Wait staff is very attentive. Food was outstanding. Would not hesitate to go back. Great evening!!!!Special Features:
- Simply elegantElegantmealsDined on 10/4/2014The food was brought out on time and was essentially the best thing my tastebuds have ever encountered. The service was even better and the atmosphere was electric. Best meal of the year by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent from Start to FinishNancyDined on 10/4/2014Buffalo has a lot of great restaurants, and Bacchus is at the top. Our "small plates" consisted of very fresh and perfectly cooked scallops from the specials menu, and the Berry Salad. For "large plates," we chose the chicken and a special sweet potato ravioli. Both were amazing, although we agreed the chicken was a bit better than the ravioli (since both were great, that's saying a lot about the chicken)! The chicken was moist and had a seasoning reminiscent of a grown-up version of KFC, without all the grease. The caramelized onion mashed potatoes were decadent. Dessert did not disappoint either--the sticky toffee pudding cake was served warm with a generous amount of homemade caramel sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Quiet Pre-Theatre DinnerJshavnfunDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I had a pre-theatre dinner on Saturday October 4. Service was excellent, as we had several different people waiting on us for drinks, bread and food. We never felt neglected, but nor did we feel intruded upon. The olive bread is delicious - very soft and fresh - and served with an oil/balsamic dip. I had the fig salad appetizer, and I have to say that the lightly breaded and flash fried gorgonzola balls in the salad were unexpected and exquisite (I have to have these again!). I had the small plate of scallops, served with bacon jam on a bed of turnip mash. My husband had the calamari which was just ok, and the ribeye main which looked very good, although he thought there was just too much of it. Overall very good!Special Features:
- Great Anniversary SpotRegularGuyDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I ate here for our first anniversary. The service was good, the food was delicious, and the atmosphere was awesome. I loved the decor and ambiance in the restaurant. The wine list is HUGE, but for us that wasn't a major factor (we like just about any wine). I would recommend this to anyone looking to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014No negative comments, however the draftiness of the table closest to the front window was distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BacchusdeadsfriendDined on 9/5/2014from the time we entered the restaurant to the time we left the service was excellent. our waiter was courteous and attentive, and explained the specials perfectly. they allowed us to intermix sides from other entrees to make my girlfriends dining experience perfect. the wine list was expensive and the wine we selected was extremely good. I would recommend this restaurant highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY GOOD EXPERIENCEJUSTSAYINDined on 8/29/2014INNOVATIVE MENU - LOTS OF CHOICES - CORNER TABLE AT FRONT WINDOW WITH A VIEW OF CHIPPEWA WAS GREAT. EXCELLENT.Special Features:
- Issues with service and foodPickyFoodieDined on 8/27/2014This is place marketed as a wine bar...? there was a very limited selection and as a lover of chardonnay, there was only one (!) option offered! The service was slow and not informative. Had to specifically ask for the cheese menu - WTH? And two of the only ten cheeses were not available. Disappointing. The server did not have much knowledge of the cheese that was on the menu, kept reading me the choices and descriptions (I could have done that myself!) Server would say this or that was popular, very disappointed. This is supposed to be an upscale place? The server had to be called over for service! No timely check backs! When a 2nd glass of wine was requested, server poured wine over existing glass even tho there was some left (no extra)!
- Always Incredible!G1031Dined on 8/23/2014We recently went to Bacchus with another pair for a celebration. They had never been. We had a few cocktails, ordered a few appetizers, then a bottle of wine with our dinner entrees. Everything was timed perfectly and the service was impeccable. The red wine was a little chilled which was the absolute perfect temperature. The night was incredible. Thank you Bacchus and we will be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bacchus is GreatKatChefDined on 8/16/2014Saturday evening and everything is great. The friendly staff, the quiet ambience and the food were absolutely wonderful; except for the really bad chalky ice cream.Special Features:
- IncredibleJJ2014Dined on 8/16/2014Impressed every time I dine here. There is not an item on the menu that you will find disappointing. Appetizers were the Calamari & shrimp, and Ahi Tuna - both large enough portions that the 4 of us were able to enjoy. Eachordered something different - Ribeye - cooked to perfection, the Salmon, the Swordfish, and the Ahi Tuna. Not a single complaint about our meals. Our waiter was attentive, but also recognized that we were "catching up" and didn't hound us for our orders, but allowed us to continue conversations. Waiter made suggestions after we finished our first bottle of wine. The atmospher was perfect for us. We were seated in a corner that had light, and a view, while other tables had a more romantic feel. Perfect spot!Special Features:
- Impeccable experience every time!Lynn1014Dined on 8/16/2014I love Bacchus!y favorite thing about them is how accommodating they are, especially when you have to change your reservations at the last minute! Every employee from valet, to the hostess, bar tender, and to the servers are pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasioneatingoutDined on 8/14/2014The entire evening was extraordinary from the atmosphere, the service, and the food - and even though our waiter was not directly aware that our dinner was actually for a very special celebration, he made the entire experience absolutely perfect. He never rushed us and he was extremely genuine and knowledgeable about the menu (with special attention to allergies and dietary restrictions within our party). Our food was fresh and plated beautifully. The wine selection is overwhelming!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014While not a bargain dining experience, Bacchus was exactly what we were looking for. It was a perfect dining experience for a special occasion and the food could NOT have been any better. I look forward to going there again next time there is a special occasion that warrants lavish celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014This restaurant offers an interesting menu, nice cocktails, relaxed yet vibrant atmosphere and very good service. The chef absolutely knows what he is doing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodAutumnreviewDined on 8/7/2014Great food and fun to be with our friends there. Unfortunately they had a fruit fly problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!pzcarellaDined on 8/7/2014I've had a great time every time I've been there. This place is very underrated- I always pick Bacchus for all special occasions. Such great wine collection and delicious food. We ate our hearts out. The meals were cooked to perfection. Our regards to the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect nightfoodiefamilyDined on 8/2/2014Had dinner with my husband and 11 year old daughter while in Buffalo for a brief visit, and it is terrific. I wish it was my local spot! The food was great, fairly priced, the service thoughtful and very competent, and the atmosphere sophisticated. The description of attire for the restaurant was casual (which we were since we were traveling), but I have to say I felt under dressed (which doesn't often happen and I have to say how wonderful I found it that people did dress well to go to a nice place). We each had appetizers and entrees, the ribeye my daughter had was huge and delicious, my mussels were great, and my husband loved the halibut. Dessert too was amazing. Also, our wonderful waiter took the time to chat with us about Buffalo.Special Features:
- The following 762 reviews are from the Bacchus Wine Bar & Restaurant reviews archive.