Bacchus Wine Bar & Restaurant
54 West Chippewa
Buffalo, NY 14202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bacchus Wine Bar & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ultimaterestaurants.com/bacchus/
- Phone: 7168549463
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian Mietus
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Visit our website at www.ultimaterestaurants.com for information on Exquisite Catering, Bacchus' partner company.
- Entertainment: Our Summer Film Series provides a truly incredible evening......classic films, great food & service, under the stars in the privacy of our newly renovated courtyard.....reservations recommended.....every Wednesday with occasional encore viewing on Thursday's.
- Special Events: Friend us on Facebook for special event notifications.
A word from Bacchus Wine Bar & Restaurant
Bacchus wine bar and restaurant is located in the historic Calumet building in the heart of Buffalo's entertainment district. A seasonal menu highlights the best available ingredients from local and regional farms. Together with our Wine Spectator award winning wine list, this elegant yet casual restaurant has continually been ranked as one of Buffalo's bestContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Bacchus Wine Bar & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Buffalo ›
Bacchus Wine Bar & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)fit for foodies (38)notable wine list (37)romantic (32)neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (18)great for outdoor dining (14)hot spot (12)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014No negative comments, however the draftiness of the table closest to the front window was distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BacchusdeadsfriendDined on 9/5/2014from the time we entered the restaurant to the time we left the service was excellent. our waiter was courteous and attentive, and explained the specials perfectly. they allowed us to intermix sides from other entrees to make my girlfriends dining experience perfect. the wine list was expensive and the wine we selected was extremely good. I would recommend this restaurant highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY GOOD EXPERIENCEJUSTSAYINDined on 8/29/2014INNOVATIVE MENU - LOTS OF CHOICES - CORNER TABLE AT FRONT WINDOW WITH A VIEW OF CHIPPEWA WAS GREAT. EXCELLENT.Special Features:
- Issues with service and foodPickyFoodieDined on 8/27/2014This is place marketed as a wine bar...? there was a very limited selection and as a lover of chardonnay, there was only one (!) option offered! The service was slow and not informative. Had to specifically ask for the cheese menu - WTH? And two of the only ten cheeses were not available. Disappointing. The server did not have much knowledge of the cheese that was on the menu, kept reading me the choices and descriptions (I could have done that myself!) Server would say this or that was popular, very disappointed. This is supposed to be an upscale place? The server had to be called over for service! No timely check backs! When a 2nd glass of wine was requested, server poured wine over existing glass even tho there was some left (no extra)!
- Always Incredible!G1031Dined on 8/23/2014We recently went to Bacchus with another pair for a celebration. They had never been. We had a few cocktails, ordered a few appetizers, then a bottle of wine with our dinner entrees. Everything was timed perfectly and the service was impeccable. The red wine was a little chilled which was the absolute perfect temperature. The night was incredible. Thank you Bacchus and we will be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bacchus is GreatKatChefDined on 8/16/2014Saturday evening and everything is great. The friendly staff, the quiet ambience and the food were absolutely wonderful; except for the really bad chalky ice cream.Special Features:
- IncredibleJJ2014Dined on 8/16/2014Impressed every time I dine here. There is not an item on the menu that you will find disappointing. Appetizers were the Calamari & shrimp, and Ahi Tuna - both large enough portions that the 4 of us were able to enjoy. Eachordered something different - Ribeye - cooked to perfection, the Salmon, the Swordfish, and the Ahi Tuna. Not a single complaint about our meals. Our waiter was attentive, but also recognized that we were "catching up" and didn't hound us for our orders, but allowed us to continue conversations. Waiter made suggestions after we finished our first bottle of wine. The atmospher was perfect for us. We were seated in a corner that had light, and a view, while other tables had a more romantic feel. Perfect spot!Special Features:
- Impeccable experience every time!Lynn1014Dined on 8/16/2014I love Bacchus!y favorite thing about them is how accommodating they are, especially when you have to change your reservations at the last minute! Every employee from valet, to the hostess, bar tender, and to the servers are pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasioneatingoutDined on 8/14/2014The entire evening was extraordinary from the atmosphere, the service, and the food - and even though our waiter was not directly aware that our dinner was actually for a very special celebration, he made the entire experience absolutely perfect. He never rushed us and he was extremely genuine and knowledgeable about the menu (with special attention to allergies and dietary restrictions within our party). Our food was fresh and plated beautifully. The wine selection is overwhelming!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014While not a bargain dining experience, Bacchus was exactly what we were looking for. It was a perfect dining experience for a special occasion and the food could NOT have been any better. I look forward to going there again next time there is a special occasion that warrants lavish celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014This restaurant offers an interesting menu, nice cocktails, relaxed yet vibrant atmosphere and very good service. The chef absolutely knows what he is doing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodAutumnreviewDined on 8/7/2014Great food and fun to be with our friends there. Unfortunately they had a fruit fly problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!pzcarellaDined on 8/7/2014I've had a great time every time I've been there. This place is very underrated- I always pick Bacchus for all special occasions. Such great wine collection and delicious food. We ate our hearts out. The meals were cooked to perfection. Our regards to the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect nightfoodiefamilyDined on 8/2/2014Had dinner with my husband and 11 year old daughter while in Buffalo for a brief visit, and it is terrific. I wish it was my local spot! The food was great, fairly priced, the service thoughtful and very competent, and the atmosphere sophisticated. The description of attire for the restaurant was casual (which we were since we were traveling), but I have to say I felt under dressed (which doesn't often happen and I have to say how wonderful I found it that people did dress well to go to a nice place). We each had appetizers and entrees, the ribeye my daughter had was huge and delicious, my mussels were great, and my husband loved the halibut. Dessert too was amazing. Also, our wonderful waiter took the time to chat with us about Buffalo.Special Features:
- Decent Food - SLOW Service!touristdinerDined on 7/29/2014We went for dinner at 7:15pm. Did not eat until around 9. Also had an incident where server suggested a vegetarian just "pick the meat off" when the kitchen forgot to make her meal without meat. Food was good, but service left something to be desired. The back patio is beautiful on a summer night.Special Features:
- Great wine and food!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2014The menu wasn't very bug, but the quality of the food was great. The wine list had a very big selection.Special Features:
- One of My Favs!FoodieInTheBuffDined on 7/16/2014Whether small plates or full entrée, the food is always amazing. The wine list is awesome. The staff is attentive without being annoying. What more can I say?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice for theater nightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2014Food was beyond excellent paired with incredible service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies First?chefgearyDined on 7/3/2014Was in with a table of 5.. They kept serving the males first which I thought was strange.. The Espresso came cold (was replaced) and the Waitress really knew nothing about the desserts.. I asked about the chocolate cake for details and what she explained was nothing like the item.. I asked if it had frosting..or a ganache.. She said.. a little icing.. This was a flourless chocolate torte that was so dry you had to make sure you had some of the whipped cream with every bite. The main dishes were good to great. I think the sides and desserts could be a little more inventive.Special Features:
- AwfuladventurousdinerDined on 7/1/2014This was the worst experience we have had at a fine dining restaurant. My wife's steak was burnt to a crisp and was in-edible. They replaced it without question, but the fois gras was also way over cooked and burned on the bottom. We spent a good part of the night shooing fruit flies from our glasses of wine. The cheese menu is very good and others enjoyed their food...but it was hit and miss as to whether they would burn the food or not. We found the neighborhood a little to be desired. It was a constant stream of cop cars and club music the night we were there.. though this was during world cup. They did seem to try very hard and the service was good. We would not return here though and would not recommend.Special Features:
- CuyahogaJanDined on 6/28/2014What a nice surprise. Bacchus is what I am talking about. The food was excellent and I loved the variety of wines--not the usual suspects. Prices were really good as well. I hope the Buffalo crowd embraces this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solstice celebrationeat2muchDined on 6/21/2014Have been there before, still as good years later. Great food, great wine, great way to celebrate the solstice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodKrisDined on 6/19/2014Come for the food, stay for the outdoor movie (during the summer)! What a great venue for a Girl's night out, or a Date night! The food delivers every time, and the service is the best in Buffalo! The Halibut is my favorite dish, but the selection of cheeses and wine is the best way to start your meal. The new patio in the back is beautiful!Special Features:
- After theater mealLMB90Dined on 6/14/2014Strolled to Bacchus following an afternoon show at Shea's. Had dinner reservations at 5pm on a Sat. only because that's when our show ended. Arrived at the 'Wine Bar and Restaurant' at 4:50, but couldn't enter as they were having a staff meeting. Found it unusual that on a beautiful summer, late afternoon on a Saturday we couldn't have a drink at the bar while we waited for them to 'open'.... this is Buffalo, not Brooklyn! Anyway, waitress was very friendly, suggested some menu items- the asparagus ravioli were very tasty, the duck a bit chewy and a little gamey. Didn't order salads or dessert. Saved dessert for ' The Chocolate Bar' down the street.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but expensiveLinda1313Dined on 6/13/2014Food and service were very good. Too expensive for me. Drinks were reasonable, but appetizers and soup prices were high.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014This was a great dining experience before a night at Shea's. Everyone at the table had a great meal whether it was a small plate or a regular entree. Definitely will go back again. We also will try the movie on the terrace.Special Features:
- Could have been betterBob01Dined on 6/12/2014My wife and I decided to go back to Bacchus before attending a show at Shea's Buffalo. We normally go to other spots but decided on Bacchus as it had be quite awhile since we were last there. It took over 35 minutes to have our appetizer delivered to our table. The waiter did tell us though after 30 minutes that it would be right out, gee thanks! Our entree finally arrived after an hour and 15 wait. At one point our waiter told us he just spoke to the chef and said our meals were being plated....15 minutes later and luke warm at best it finally arrived. No explanation, no nothing even though it was well after other patrons who were seated after us were already finished dining. We won't be going back anytime soon.Special Features:
- We had a superb meal!BeanieDined on 6/11/2014Our server was professional and appropriately attentive. Each in our party of 6 had a delicious meal, attractively plated and of the appropriate size. The wine selection was ample. Since we were headed to the theatre, we were mindful of the time. Our server managed the time and yet we did not feel at all rushed.Special Features:
- Return VisitDirectorDebDined on 6/10/2014We tried Bacchus once before by accident and loved it so we made the return visit. It did not disappoint. As usual the food was amazing and our wait staff was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, friendly staffGreenmamaDined on 6/10/2014We went before a theatre show, and the food was delicious! Our server was very pleasant and professional, as well, however the service was a little slow. We arrived 2 hours before the show, and almost didn't make it. Will definitely return, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!FongzillaDined on 5/30/2014The food was amazing, cooked to perfection. Every plate was nicely presented and we loved every single bite of it. Small plates were a generous size serving to share. Had we had a bigger appetite we would have sampled more small plates. Our waiter was very nice and polite. We asked about good trucks in the area and he was able to provide the info from kitchen staff. We love this place! Hope to come back some day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 743 reviews are from the Bacchus Wine Bar & Restaurant reviews archive.
- Excellent!!HopBandit19Dined on 5/23/2014The food, wine, ambience were all excellent. The staff was exceptional, and knowledgable when it came to ordering wine. 1 small plate, 2 entrees, 1 dessert, 1 bottle of wine= $125.00. Not bad. Have paid more for a lot less at other restaurants. Can go cheaper if you eliminate the small plate and dessert....but why? Will definitely be on my list of venues to revisit. Highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have returned to Bacchus yet again.BacchusFansDined on 5/17/2014Always have enjoyed the place, food, staff. Have NEVER had a bad experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerJoannaDined on 5/10/2014My family went out to dinner to celebrate and we all had a wonderful time. I will definitely be back and I would definitely recommend the restaurant to others.The hostess was OUTSTANDING! She walked my mother to the bathroom even though she was busy. She asked how our food was when we were leaving and seemed to genuinely care about our opinion! She was absolutely wonderful.Food was delicious! Carpacio (steak and eggs) was yummmmmmmyyyyyy. The Ahi tuna was spectacular! Even my soup was delicious! No complaints about anything! Will be back soon. Free valet parking was awesome also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed!Luv2eatoutDined on 5/9/2014Brought some friends and we were very disappointed ! After waiting 30 minutes for our waitress to take our drink order , we then waited an hour and a half before a piece of bread arrived!! We almost walked out- We were constantly looking for our waitress. Following the bread - the meal flowed nicely , but a horrible start!! Food was good, but not great . Will probably not return.Special Features:
- We will returnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014The food, service and atmosphere were all excellent- an overall good experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night Out at BacchusWhatsIggyEatingDined on 5/3/2014My wife and I were in Buffalo for a quick get-away to celebrate our anniversary. Picked Bacchus based on other reviews here and everything was spot on. All staff was very attentive and the food was top notch. Very much appreciated the wine by the glass selection (and that they did not charge ridiculous amounts for these). Would recommend and will go back next time I'm in Buffalo.Special Features:
- Great AgainJD68Dined on 5/3/2014Excellent food and service, including valet. Had an enjoyable evening with friends at a table near the windows. Loved people watching almost as much as the fish and the lamb chops. We don't often return to the same place due to teh number of great places in and around Buffalo. Bacchus remains a repeat, especially when attending a nearby show.Special Features:
- Celebrated 1st wedding anniversaryfoodieatheart72Dined on 5/3/2014I Requested an intimate table and it was provided. Food and service were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of musselsBuffalodaver1Dined on 5/3/2014Saturday eve reservation for 530pm. Table was ready, had a drink at the bar, and we're seated at 6. I wanted a Spanish white wine listed on wine list but was told they were out of it. Waiter took my order for mussels. He returned a few minutes later to tell they were out of mussels. I had scollops and a German Riesling. Both enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.