New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bacchanalnyc.com/
- Phone: 646-355-1840x
- Hours of Operation:
Sundays through Wednesdays from 5:00pm to 12pm for our bar and 5:30pm to 11pm for our kitchen.
Thursdays through Saturdays from 5:00pm to 1am for our bar and 5:30pm to 12am for our kitchen.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, French
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Every Monday night we have no corkage fee for those who wish to bring their own wine.
A word from Bacchanal
Bacchanal is a new restaurant on the Bowery featuring contemporary cuisine using precise French technique and taking France, Italy and Spain as its inspirations. It channels the wine-soaked rituals of ancient Greece and Rome through the lens of the Gilded Age, when an opulent Bowery had its own indulgent heyday. Located at 146 Bowery, Bacchanal is situated within the recently renovated Sohotel, whose location has served as a hotel since 1805. It straddles the historic Bowery, Little Italy, the Lower East Side and Chinatown with their centuries-old legacies of dining and imbibing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bacchanal reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (90)hot spot (70)notable wine list (65)neighborhood gem (65)good for groups (58)special occasion (50)vibrant bar scene (50)romantic (37)late-night find (20)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great FoodDenariusVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was excellent and the service was second to none. The waitress Allison was very helpful, my wife is a vegetarian and she helped find a suitable and great meal. The cocktails are excellent and reasonably priced for NYC. We will definitely be back, thanks for a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningopentablebritVIPDined on 9/26/2014Highly recommend it here. Service with a smile, interesting menu and delicious food, lovely cocktails and wine. Thank you for a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Nothing SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/25/2014The food was just OK to not particularly good but at close to top dollar pricing. Service was fairly attentive but not terribly professional. Drinks were very good however. Noise level tolerable when half empty but not as it fills up. Food quality is my main criterium for a review. Much better options elsewhere.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014My husband and I dine at a wide variety of restaurants; from the inexpensive late night bite to the very expensive/"foodie"/trend spots. The Food and cocktails here are absolutely spot-on. The Service is the best I have ever received in NYC. I would recommend for a date or with a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service kind of ruined it for meOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/9/2014But food was amazing. Great flavors, creative dishes.Special Features:
- nerdybirdy72Dined on 9/6/2014food was good, had cod and salamon fish dishes, chicken, biff with guacamole. great starter with ham very nice strong drinks but the service was great in all that mattersSpecial Features:
- DeliciousScottMontDined on 9/4/2014We came because of Scott's reputation and it did not disappoint. Staff was warm, attentive and the space was comfortable. We shared several appetizers and one main dish on a weekday evening that had a few open tables available. All I can say is wow, this is food done right with a staff paying attention to your experience. I will be a regular without question.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!! Just great!Nataly3108VIPDined on 9/4/2014So good food and nice atmosphere and service and everything ! Definitely go, you gonna love itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, fun atmosphereMollyDined on 8/30/2014My boyfriend and I came here for a date and had a great time! It is probably better for groups than dates since it is a big space and very noisy, but we had a good date! The drinks were okay, but the grilled octopus was delicious!Special Features:
- Excellent mealfridayfanDined on 8/28/2014Bacchanal's service is very welcoming and attentive without being in the least overbearing. The menu may appear to be limited in choice, but our experience tonight indicates that any of those choices will be impeccably prepared and far more delicious than the menu descriptions might lead you to believe. From the house made bread to the Peach Tarte Tatin we couldn’t have been happier with Chef Bryan’s food. The crowd is younger (than we are, at least) and some are perhaps more interested in drinking and socializing than eating. This, in combination with loud music and hard surfaces makes for an acoustically challenging environment. Go for the food, not conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- all around wonderful!foodieDined on 8/27/2014great menus!! (food, bar & wine) * welcoming service attentive staff * perfectly timed dinner * knowledgeable & friendly sommelier * great vibe!! & most of all delicious !!Special Features:
- New and very accomidatingwhatmeworryVIPDined on 8/26/2014Very laid back down town space with a nice attentive staff and good menu.Special Features:
- Great food with pushy waitstaff.RUKDNMEDined on 8/22/2014The room was great and most of the food was exceptional. Our waiter was attentive and personable, but these guys are clearly trained to up-sell, and they do so unabashedly. Our sommelier knew how to "guide" us to a "better" (more expensive) wine but didn't learn how to differentiate between red and white wine goblets in sommelier school. The skirt steak was perfect, the farm raised chicken, delicious while the Hamachi Crudo...eh. Our overall experience was better than average, just don't give into server pressure regardless of how heavy handed it is.Special Features:
- TOp NotchRoadRunnerDined on 8/17/2014From the moment we were greeted by the hostess at the door, this was a top notch meal, with phenomenal service! A+ all the way around
- Great PlaceJoeBVIPDined on 8/17/2014Went for dinner the other night. Cocktails were fantastic. That Grasshopper at dessert was divine!! Food was perfect; from the Corn soup through the Skirt Steak ending with their rendition of the molten chocolate cake!!! I can't wait to go back. Such friendly and professional staff as well!! Very nice evening!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little gem of the LESOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/12/2014I'm not big on giving reviews, so I'll keep it short and sweet. Upon entering you're met with a smile by courteous, friendly employees of Bacchanal. From the hostess, to the server, to the sommelier. Every bite of food was wonderful and my favorite item of the evening was the croquetas appetizer. A-mazing. While we didn't have wine that night, they have an extensive, almost overwhelming wine list hence their somm. Really good spot.Special Features:
- Nice findD00dDined on 8/12/2014We found this place while looking for a classic italian place in Little Italy. Warning - this is NOT classic italian fare. You will not find red pasta dishes here. The menu is not very big. While it's moderately priced, the food is very high-end. Our waiter was excellent and patient with us as we came off the street out of the rain a good 20 mins before the kitchen opened. He served us drinks and excellent bread until we were able to order. The food was prepared and presented well and was quite delicious. I think they have a happy hour as the younger crowd started to arrive and fill the bar while we were still the only ones in the restaurant.Special Features:
- ExcellentFsavsDined on 8/7/2014Chef Bryan is better then Anthony Bourdain makes him out to be in his book. Everything was perfect and for food of this quality the price is more then reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectMag71Dined on 7/26/2014Cannot say enough! We talked about this place for days afterward. Everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unyielding ServicelivkanDined on 7/25/2014The food at Bacchanal was well crafted and rich, but simple. Though I could gush over the ambiance and exciting cocktail menu, the real attraction here was the great service. Myself and two girlfriends sat at a 4 top. We are 23 year olds; not a bad looking bunch. We seemed to catch the eye of 3 extremely inebriated young millenials, who I am sure were drowning their sorrows over their exhausting jobs, seeing that it was Friday night and they still had their suits on. My two friends and I hadn't even made a complaint, but the maitre de and our waiter were aware of the restaurants surroundings. They kindly offered to move our table away from the drunken patrons and even threw in a dessert on the house.Special Features:
- really solid above average LOUDhunkyJewVIPDined on 7/24/2014Food at Bacchanal, especially in the sea of, relative to restaurants at other cities -- really outstanding -- but by New York standards only average, is definitely above average, and for it's quality, it's surprisingly cheap. HOWEVER, the acoustics are BAD. With the lower east side crowd it apparently can attract and its not so good acoustics, it can get VERY VERY LOUD, and really difficult to just talk. So, probs not so good for a "serious dates" but ok for a quick bite with a buddy. Solid place. Cool vibe too.
- bacchanal by canal -ttttVIPDined on 7/24/2014it's great to have a super cool restaurant in the hood - beautifully done - attentive staff - super food - but note that as gets busy and exciting - it also gets loud - but glad its nearby and it is definitely worth the visit - again and againSpecial Features:
- BonnieVIPDined on 7/19/2014Since we were early for our reservation, we began by sitting at the bar and having drinks, a martini and a glass of wine at our leisure. We shared an octopus (our latest passion) appetizer: wonderful. Next we had cod and steak, both were exceptionally good. As excellent as the food was, the service was even better. We could not have been made to feel any more welcome than we were. A rarity for me: a recommendation without qualification.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, great service!YummyDined on 7/18/2014From the start to the finish it is an amazing experience! All staff are there for your every need and with a smile. They are pleased to serve you and offer excellent suggestions. Management walks by to make sure you're ok and at times the hostess are looking at you to make sure you're still pleased with the service. Perhaps it's because I sat by myself they wanted to make sure I had an amazing experience but it was welcomed and I'll definitely be returning again and again! Great portions, price, ambiance and excellent music. The noise level was great and the bathroom attendant is amazing and the restrooms are clean! Great job guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding for the BowerTempus1964VIPDined on 7/18/2014This neighborhood spot new to the area on the SW corner of Bowery & Broome delivers outstanding service, great food and an exceptional wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandinglattsVIPDined on 7/17/2014The new outpost on corner of bowery and broome brings everything a top flight restaurant should have. Amazing drinks Space is beautifully designed with a centerpiece bar that is the focal point upon entering. Food us delectable from the octopus appetizer which ranks a cut above. To the Chitara pasta and wonderfully prepared Salmon. Look no furthur.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed it!NYCfoodiesDined on 7/16/2014Excellent food from a great NYC chef (Scott Bryan). We went in Week 7 following the opening and seating was slow (50 minutes post-reservation) but they are probably still learning the cadence of how quickly the tables turn. Once seated, our food arrived when it should (and freshly prepared). Definitely worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- helenVIPDined on 7/16/2014wonderful welcoming innovative and interesting. this will be the place i go back to again and again.Special Features:
- busy but greatnorthernVAgirlDined on 7/15/2014I'm glad I thought to get a reservation early, because it was booked up between 5:30 and 9:30 on a Tuesday night when I checked OpenTable the day of my reservation! It was busy and a bit loud, but the food was delicious and the drinks were creative. Great value for the food and experience. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another winnertrufflehunter1VIPDined on 7/12/2014As a former fan of Veritas I looked forward to the opening of Bachannal and after two visits in three weeks I am happy to say that Scott Bryan has done it again with his New American cuisine and fantastic wine list. Chilled Corn Veloute scented with basil was rich without being cloying and the Hamachi Crudo was an exquisite dish of flavors that had me licking the plate. Roasted Farm Chicken with Mascarpone Polenta was our table's favorite dish followed by the Codfish enriched with a white bean puree. Service was friendly and professional . The manager, Adriel seeems to know his stuff and if this winning combination can keep it up there won't be an empty table at Bacchanal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Find!KMOBDined on 7/11/2014My boyfriend and I visited Bacchanal for our anniversary dinner this past Friday. Superb service and excellent service! This was a great fit for a fabulous and special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent spotmmclaren27Dined on 7/8/2014Thoroughly enjoyed drinks at the bar. They were delicious and we were very well looked after by the bar staff. Food was excellent and servie on point. Floor staff were very friendly and accommodating. Great vibe in the place.Special Features:
- Foodie Fun!FoodLamaDined on 7/8/2014Anthony Bourdain's favorite chef Scott Bryan serves up exquisite top shelf cuisine in a casual hip atmosphere. Go midweek and go Roman decadent. Signature Cocktails rock and fantastic wine list. Everything on the menu is impeccably delicious!Special Features:
- TexasWinegeekDined on 7/7/2014Recommended by Vintry Wines Wine Manager and it was as good as a 2 star and 3 star Michelin I ate at this same week. Flavors, complexity, inovation, integration all describe the work of a young dynamic chef is only going upward. Attention to detail by the chef and the staff reflect fine haut cuisine dinning in a neigborhood hot spot. The wine list is impecable and offers diversity, elegance and balance without breaking the bank.Special Features:
- Chef Scott Bryan is backdrfloyd21Dined on 7/2/2014We had a great meal - we will be back. A good selection of wines by the glass and great bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/1/2014Our meal here was one of the best in years. We arrived early and sat at the bar. The house cocktails are carefully prepared, beautifully presented and very good. We ended up eating at the bar, as the bartender was so attentive and helpful. The wine list is very impressive, as it was at Veritas. I'm not sure many of the super high priced wines will get opened here, but with some careful searching there are some outstanding values on the list. The food was truly wonderful. We enjoyed the octopus, crudo, risotto and cod fish entree. It was all very fresh and delicious. The entree list is perhaps a little short, but I am sure most people will find what they want. Portions are the perfect size. Excellent and highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overly staffedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/23/2014The food was delicious. However, It felt like the FOH staff were over zealous and didn't understand that people constantly trying to clear plates (while we were still eating) was really irritating - it felt really over staffed or like some annoying manager was there wanting everyone to "look busy" so they were just desperately looking for stuff to do - our first round of drinks came AFTER we had almost finished with appetizers and they still charged us for them
- TerrificMressDined on 6/23/2014We followed the chef to this new spot and are so glad to be able to have his food again in such a lovely environment and a much nicer environment than the former restaurant that he cooked at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem sparkles in the BoweryBryantfanDined on 6/17/2014Chef Scott Bryant excels yet again. Appetizers of note include the Hamachi and Octopus. Nothing compares to the sage , butter ravioli. Main courses are all great but highly suggest the chicken and Salmon. have yet to try the skirt steak. Staff are plentiful and highly responsive. Insured glasses were full and bread was readily available to enjoy the spectacular sauces accompanying the dishes. The drinks are fun and delicious. Loved the "Mitch" with the passion fruit served in it's original form with great vodka. Save room for dessert as they are all great including a fabulous flourless chocolate cake. Beautiful design of restaurant reminded me of an updated version of an old saloon. Classy and warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedBxboyDined on 6/16/2014Someone should work with waitstaff to explain dos and donts of service. Drinks were brought in error. Second and third drinks of the same cocktail were all different 45 minute wait time for appetizers just inexcusable I believe the order was never put in until after 30 minutes of waiting. No excused or "sorry"s. Menu for the most part unexciting Couldn't wait to leave