Bacaro Venetian Taverna
921 Pearl Street
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Bacaro Venetian Taverna
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bacaro.com/
- Phone: 3034444888
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Hours: 4:00pm - 10:00pm Happy Hour until 6:30 pm daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Fabio Slagiello
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Perfectly prepared appetizers to over-the top entrees that will feed a gathering of any size.
- Private Party Facilities: At Bácaro we bring a unique and personalized touch to any event. We can accommodate parties of many sizes and styles from an intimate, sit-down atmosphere to a cocktail-style party. The ideal venue for graduations, birthdays, or holidays!
- Private Party Contact: Kjendal Rose 8558213665
- Special Events: Bacaro offers plenty of room for private parties, rehearsal dinners and wedding receptions. Our restaurant offers a beautiful rooftop patio, a semi-private dining room, and the option to rent our entire venue for your large reception.
A word from Bacaro Venetian Taverna
Bacaro Venetian Taverna is a family oriented authentic Italian restaurant blended with sophistication and comfort.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bacaro Venetian Taverna reviews from OpenTable diners
- Didn't even get seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I had reservations for valentines day. Our reservation was at 815 and when we arrived they were still just seating folks from 745. After 20 min of waiting for a table we left. Management seemed relived that they had one less table to deal with. Very disappointing.
- Still as amazing as last timeNathanDined on 2/14/2014Bacaro continues to be one of the most underrated places in Boulder, but I like it that way. It's our little secret! Great food, great service, fun evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last visit to BacaroOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/14/2014We had a 7pm reservation for two for Dinner. We arrived about 10 min early and were seated promptly. Tables were cramped and it was very crowded. It took over 30 min for our waitress to take our drink order so we also gave her our dinner order. Dinner took over 95 min to arrive and the food wasn't hot. Numerous patrons left frustrated about the unbelievably slow service. We saw at least 5 tables of people leave because their dinner orders weren't arriving. Mediocre food and unacceptable service. Needless to say we won't be dining here ever again.
- Valentine's DateNotOftenDined on 2/14/2014I'm sure there are going to be a lot of terrible reviews from valentine's day. My date and I came in 5 minutes before our reservation and were seated right away, on the rooftop. It was tolerable for the first hour but started to get colder as it got later. There was some sort of makeshift tent up to try and keep the warmth in but in all honesty it sort of ruined any possible ambience that they were trying to create. We ordered oysters as an appetizer but didn't get for an hour, we waited another 40 minutes for our food and then decided to leave. I wasn't ready to pay the asking price anyways, considering that the dishes I saw other people eating were not worth $20-$30 a plate. To be fair the staff was gracious and apologetic.
- 200 guests - 3 cooksBrimacd83Dined on 2/14/2014Service took forever. at one time there were at least 200 people within view of my table and none had dinner on the table. There were 3 people visible cooking in the open kitchen. Bad.
- Poor ServiceJohnDined on 2/14/2014It was Valentine Day, so we understood that they were busy. But we ordered off the menu and after 1.3 hours and no food and no word about the status of our order, we got up and left. Our waitress was no-where to be found.
- Horrible in so many ways...swoopDined on 2/14/2014waited for over 1/2 hour just to get service, waited another 1/2 hour to get the first course. Second course came 1/2 hour later - really inedible- horrible. We asked to get our desserts packaged up and get the check to get out of there. Total time at this restaurant 3.5 hours! We will be talking about this as our worst dining experience anywhere.. ever. Oh yeah - we did complain to the waiter, then the manager...then the other patrons on all sides of us - as they were all having the same crappy experience. We got to know our neighbors really well during the 3 plus hours of agony. Someone on one side of us said the place was closing...maybe that explains the really poor service and food....still - come on....care just a little??!!
- Hopelessly incompetentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Valentines Day dinner was ruined. We arrived 30 minutes early at 5:45 for a 6:15 pm reservation. The host was pleased we were early and seated us immediately. At this time, there was probably 10 tables occupied out of at least 70. Certainly not busy. We ordered our dinner by 6 pm. Chicken for both of us. At 7:30, the wait staff still could not tell us when our food would be ready. The waitress was 19, she told us several times as an excuse why she didn't know the menu. She was avoiding visiting tables as patrons were getting upset that food was not being served….so at one point, I went to the bar to get a refill on drinks. In summary, can't honestly comment on the food given that we didn't get any. Wait staff and management was untrained.
- Terrible ServicedinerDined on 2/14/2014I had a terrible experience with Bacaro on 2/14/14. I made reservations 3 days ahead and asked if they had a fixed menu or their regular menu on Valentine's Day. I was clearly told that they would have both a fixed menu and their regular menu to choose from. When we arrived there were 10 people crammed in the doorway being completely ignored by the staff. It was ridiculous. Once finally seated, we were told that there was only a fixed menu and not the regular menu. This is after being told the opposite when I made my reservation. The fixed meals were horribly overpriced. They refused to make us a simple margherita pizza. So we ended up leaving and finding a better place (not hard to do). Ruined Valentine's dinner with my fiancee.
- Loving Bacaro One More Time on VdayBeaverCreek4FoodiesDined on 2/14/2014Laura did a great job in making our Valentine's night great. Dining in Boulder on Vday is always amazing as every restaurant is PACKED so you have to LOVE your restaurant because they are working hard to make it special for everyone who wants to eat there. This was even more so with Bacaro who had announced their final days in Boulder. This brought out many Bacaro fans who wanted to love Bacaro one more time. Bacaro responded with many more tables than they normally handle and the kitchen was really straining to meet an absolutely 100% full restaurant. The Vday 3 course special dinner was outstanding with a wonderfully prepared Saltimbocca and the chicken was lean, moist & flavorful. Tiramisu & chocolate strawberries! Laura rocks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waitingfoodie92Dined on 2/14/2014The overall experience was mediocre. The food was delicious ($$), although the waiting times between courses and our waitress checking-in were a little extensive. A couple at a table next to us never recieved their entrees after being there for 2 hours. The staff seemed to be in training (which I think is a poor choice for Valentines dinner.) The service was sparse and slow, but our waitress was very polite. I would recommend this place for lunch if you have 2 or so hours to spare. The food is good, atmosphere is relaxing, although service is slow.Special Features:
- Horrible Service & FoodHorribleValentinesDayDined on 2/14/2014We came for dinner on Valentine's Day and it was hands down the worse experience from start to finish we have ever had. We eat out A LOT and not only was the service horrible but the food was terrible as well. From the minute we walked in the restaurant was cold, noisy and the waitress was very slow. My husbands food came out ten minutes before mine and the food was terrible. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. And I would not be surprised if this restaurant is out of business in less than six months.
- Going out of business???KickaPooDined on 2/13/2014We went the night before Valentine's Day. The restaurant was "empty", they said they were gearing up for Friday. They were out of three main entrees, but the server did not know that. He had to return to the table multiple times. The server took it upon himself to comp my husband's dinner. (that was kind). But then in his seafood dish, 1/3 of the mussels, clams did not open. The food we did have was nice, could have used proper seasoning however. The ladies restroom gave real bad truck stops a "good name". ugh. A sign on the patio on the way out said, "Thanks for 15 years". Not sure if this place is going out of business. If it is, that would explain a lot regarding our experience. If it is not, they should probably reconsider.
- Worthy of the West End LocationLongmonterDined on 2/8/2014The block of Pearl Street between 9th and 10th has become the location of some of Boulder's finest, liveliest, and most hip restaurants. While the cluster of restaurants closer to 10th street seem to grab people's attention, I was happy to return to Bacaro after nearly a year to discover that the food continues to be excellent and that the service was very warm and friendly. With all of the competition down the block, I trust that Bacaro's will continue to be a dining destination for many Boulderites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/26/2014Dinner was disappointing. Very average food and they did not have many of the items that were listed on the menu.Seems like it would be a nice place to have a drink though.Nice atmosphere.
- under staffedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2013Terrible experience. Never saw the waiter, he had no idea what the wine list or the menu were about. Almost had to dine and ditch because we couldn't find anybody to pay! Don't bother.
- New Years Not a Dining NightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013We have not been out for dinner on New Years for awhile and we will not make the same mistake again. While the food was good, menu was limited and portions were small. In particular, we ordered a glass of wine with dinner and it came in small aperitif glasses; yet we were charged full price. I understand that restaurants are nervous about serving alcohol on New Years; however, there were tables around us that had real wine glasses and it appeared they were friends of the owners. Not a good example if you want to keep locals coming to your establishment. Also, while our server was pleasant; the service was slow, and we did not get any bread despite asking for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/31/2013The pasta was great but the branzino was undercooked (very unappetizing texture), full of bones, and difficult to eat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/28/2013We stopped in one night last week and had a totally weak experience. The waitress didn't even bother introducing herself but just asked what do you want to drink after we had been seated for 10 minutes. The place was not busy. The bus staff was invasive, food was ok though the calamari was stringy. What I ordered on the menu I was advised wasn't available since it was sold out. Wierd since the place was essentially empty. Won't be back. I have a feeling this place should work where its located but its definitely having issues. Unfortunate.
- good food but slow spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/27/2013It was good food. The salmon was terrific. The prices might be why the place was empty nearly the entire time our group was there. It us right down the street from Pasta Jays and while Im not into the garlic parade at Pasta Jays it was hard to walk past the literally Stuffed pasta jays restaurant and on into our empty one. Knowing the competition a block away...they will prob need to adjust pricing if they want to make it I'd think.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than ExpectedCassODined on 12/24/2013My boyfriend and I went here on Christmas Eve, and when I made the reservation I thought they would have a full menu. We really wanted Italian food for Christmas this year and we wanted a full menu as well to chose from. Well we got there and sat down then realized there was a course menu only. At first we were thinking about leaving, because I'm a vegetarian and there just isn't enough options for me usually. There were only a couple options on this menu as well. But I ordered one of the pastas without the meat and a side of garlic mashed potatoes and had a couple glasses of wine. The food turned out to be really great and the service was decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealBoulderiteDined on 11/22/2013We had a wonderful dinner at Bacaro. Fresh linguine, good and generous size calamari appetizer, and delicious flour-less chocolate cake for dessert. Give it high marks for dinner!Special Features:
- Visiting in Boulder and GoogledWinterDined on 10/16/2013Visiting in Boulder and Googled Best Italian Restaurants in Boulder and this one came up. I made reservations and didn't need to as there were only 2 tables of people in there. We waited for 5 minutes to get seated and then waited for someone to take our drink order. The wait staffed seemed confused and complaining. Food were small portions and I don't eat much anyways. My friend had the fish and it didn't come with any sides. Ordered a bottle of wine and they suggested a Carafe, which was nice for the wine to breath, but it was so big and no one poured it for us, I had to stand up to pour in in our wine glasses.
- we were dupedDudleyVIPDined on 10/5/2013Menu at restaurant was not the same as shown on open table. Not one item was similar and the prices were much higher. The owner did not care saying open table was not his web site. Plus when we arrived they did not have a table supposedly for us and had to seat us in the bar.
- Lots of room for improvementdragonDined on 10/5/2013OK, the kale chips were too salty, but how do you manage to make salty salads? Also, never had such a bad Negroni in my life, even airlines (e.g. Lufthansa) make it better!Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingmcgeeksDined on 10/5/2013I'm not sure if we were just there on one of those off nights or what, but we were very underwhelmed by our experience. The antipasti dishes we choose were by far the best part of our meal (Polenta with Mushrooms & Poached Egg and the Grilled Artichoke). Our entrees were just ok, nothing the blew our minds. Our server seemed distracted. We were only told of one of the specials and then we heard another server rattle off two others that we definitely would have been interested in. I think we'll give the restaurant another try at some point, but we'd been looking forward to trying it for awhile and just weren't impressed. I know it has a great reputation so we'll be back and hopefully we'll be overwhelmed.
- Was a nice evening with friends.BldrfoodiesVIPDined on 10/4/2013We were there with a big group and we had a very nice time. Good food, great services, fun evening.Special Features:
- awesome placeGavinDined on 9/21/2013awesome, my girlfriend loved it, paid off big timeSpecial Features:
- Great Local Italian FoodboulderexplorerDined on 8/27/2013Finally had the opportunity to experience Bacaro Venetian Taverna on a Tuesday. They offer an all day happy hour on Tuesday's which was a nice surprise. Discounts on beverages as well as appetizers, salads and pizzas. We had a delicious calamari and caprese salad in which they use their own in-house mozzarella. We enjoyed a fantastic gnocchi with local mushrooms and asparagus, yummy! The staff and management were very friendly and service was very attentive. Be advised that if you want to eat on the outdoor terrace or upstairs area, check first if there is going to be loud live music. If so best to enjoy the indoor dinining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2013Went for Happy Hour on a Friday. Nothing happy about the mixed drink "specials." The food was mediocre at best. Even though we sat outside, the canned music (poor choices in our opinion) coming from the speakers was blaringly annoying. There was plenty of seating as well which should have been a hint... They need to step everything up in order for us to return and/or to compete.
- Laid-Back and DeliciousMikeBDined on 8/5/2013We had a fairly large group (7 people), half of whom needed a gluten-free menu. Everybody loved their dishes, the wait staff was very accommodating, the atmosphere was great, and everybody had a great time. The gluten-free pasta was some of the best we've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sub Par FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/8/2013I had not been to Bacaro and expected higher end food especially for the prices we paid. The gnocchi were like little mashed potato balls and the caprese salad tasted like mozarella purchased from King Soopers. It was a busy night and the servers were swamped, despite that our waitress was attentive and very nice. That was the only redeeming factor. They need to do something about their cooks! I would not go back again.
- Good menu, nice ambiance,IreneVIPDined on 5/26/2013Good menu, nice ambiance, nice menu. Service was a little slow and food was a little cold, but overall a nice place.Special Features:
- Under new mgmt -Poor Service-too $$KellyVIPDined on 5/26/2013Bacaro used to be our favorite restaurant but NOT after last night. We had VERY SLOW service, pricey food, a waiter that ignored my request for service TWICE and a new menu that is limited. If they continue to have service like that, then they will be out of business within a couple of months. I was very disappointed.
- 10min till seated, 20 minHungryDined on 5/12/201310min till seated, 20 min till appetizers another 30 before we got our food. Food portions were small and salty. Waitress did not follow Basic commands. Over priced and will not return.Special Features:
- The atmosphere and patio diningPisanoDined on 5/12/2013The atmosphere and patio dining was nice, perfect day too. Service was horrible. Took at least 15 mins to get our drinks which only 2 were from bar (table of 8). Appetizers were a joke. The bruschetta was a waste of money, one order includes 2 pieces of burnt bread that would total the size of one half of a slice of bread, not even enough for one person, plus more tomato cubes then would fit on 5 orders. Also, we wanted to order artichoke dip but they had already run out of artichokes at 4pm! Go figure! Main course was ok, not outstanding, but ok. Would I go back? No.
- New Chef New MenuBikeRider41VIPDined on 4/20/2013Five stars you ask why? Because this was one of the best meals I have had for under $100/couple in a long time. Bacaro has been a favorite of ours for quite awhile. Then I started reading some negative reviews here on Open Table and elsewhere. So got cautious and we stayed away. Then I read in the Daily Camera about the new head chef and menu, I checked the menu out on their website (it is not current on Open Table, btw) and wanted to give it a try. Patrick Halloran is a fantastic, imaginative chef. He actually came out and spoke with us twice during the meal. I had the Branzino, entire fish with head served grilled. Yum. My wife chose the Saltimbocca which she also loved. The appetizers were very good as well. So we will be back..Special Features:
- Despite the restaurant beingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2013Despite the restaurant being mostly empty, and having a reservation, they sat our party in the bar area. I'm assuming this is why our service was so poor - the bar staff were waiting on us. Various servers checking in at our table, but infrequently. Drink ordered were forgotten. Drinks were spilled by staff twice. The food came out staggered, and salads were served with the entrees. It was challenging to get the staff's attention when we needed to order. While the food itself was good, the service was so poor that it was pretty disappointing experience. All of us noticed and remarked on the poor service, especially since the restaurant was overall very quiet - there were several tables in the main area that were never occupied.
- Not stellar, but not bad.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2013Our server was confused and spacey. He wasn't terrible, but it was hard to hear and understand what he was saying and he seemed to have no idea what was going on. All of our questions about the menu were met with an "uh, I don't know." He seemed really inexperienced. The food was pretty good--I enjoyed the lamb with gnocchi. Not the best I've had in Boulder, but not bad. I also had a glass of the white Sangria which I found to be way, way too sweet and tasted more like just a glass of fruit juice than Sangria. I regretted that one. All in all, Bacaro is pretty okay, but not fabulous. They could work on their service (as many other online reviewers have already pointed out.) But we still had a nice time.
- A Change Worth KeepingColoradoBellDined on 3/2/2013This is not the Bacaro we visited 5 or 6 years ago. Bacaro has changed their atmosphere from the darker couple vibrant bar scene we found years ago, into a family and couple friendly, easy atmosphere that feels like you're sitting in a Italian country kitchen. While I was disappointed in their wine by glass menu selection, the food menu was exciting! It offered gluten free options for both pasta and pizza and a variety of vegetarian options. The dinner entrees offered the 'foodie' a wide variety of vegetable sides in their meals, like roasted fennel, beets, and even butternut squash, but salads were an additional charge. The service was kind, with a smile, and didn't rush your time for dinner conversation.Special Features: