136 Division Street
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bacaronyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 941-5060
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 12:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Frank DeCarlo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Bacaro
Rustic Venetian tavern for sharing cichetti, Venetian-style small plates paired with Northern Italian wines. Covertly located down a little winding street a block south of Canal. An inside and outside staircase both lead you to an underground catacomb of exposed brick archways with wooden communal farm tables, illuminated by soft lighting and warm candles reminiscent of the streets of Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Bacaro reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
romantic (36)neighborhood gem (31)fit for foodies (24)good for groups (19)notable wine list (19)special occasion (15)hot spot (11)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Pleasant & warm feeling. Yummy foodWarmandinvitingDined on 11/6/2014Went with a friend. Enjoyed that quiet enough to be able to speak without shouting. Pleasant environment. Soothing with yummy foods!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunchloverVIPDined on 10/24/2014Love this place. Love the layout and lighting,food is great and the service is always great. Very friendly. Love to bring out-of-towners here as it's such a surprise when you go downstairs. They feel like they are discovering a hidden gem in the Lower east Side. Always recommend it to people!Special Features:
- wonderfulttttVIPDined on 10/23/2014great space - great food - good drink - good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodMarceDined on 10/18/2014We web ton a doble date, a little too noisy, but good food, not so expensive and good ambience. Will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood SpotScottPurcellVIPDined on 10/16/2014Reading the reviews we were prepared for something exceptional, but perhaps we were guilty of setting expectations too high. It's a quiet residential neighborhood, the staff is friendly, and the setting/ambiance is terrific with stone walls and candles everywhere. We definitely over-dressed, and would have been more comfortable in jeans and a nice shirt (as most of the guests were pretty casual). The food was okay, maybe a 6 or 7, and the wait staff was a mixed bag with the lead server pretty inexperienced but the support crew working hard. It can get loud (especially if a group of Japanese businessmen happen to be drinking & dining next to you). Tip for couples - get a table next to the downstairs bar. They also have amazing private rooms.Special Features:
- A Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014I can't believe I haven't endulged in this beautiful restaurant before. It's like stepping into a grotto in Italy. From the service to the food I can't rave enough about it! We had the crab salad over polenta and stuffed zucchini flowers for an appetizer-delectablely delicious! For our main courses we had a hard time choosing from all of the wonderful options-with help from our delightful (and patient) waitress we had the pork shank over polenta, gnocchi with asparagus and cream, whole wheat pasta with duck ragu and the black pasta with cuttlefish. When we made room for dessert we delighted in a tiramisu, pana cotta, and a trio of gelatos! The bill was reasonably priced considering all of the treats we had!! We definitely will be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can we give six stars??!FXSPDined on 9/9/2014By far our favorite NYC restaurant, it's a gem, with excellent authentic Venetian cuisine, great service and superb decor. The upstairs bar can get lively late at night - but it's part of the charm, very neighbourly. On our most recent visit, we sat upstairs and had the most exquisite wine and squid ink pasta. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014We found the staff at Bacaro to be excellent. They were friendly, thoughtful, helpful with dinner selections and cleaning up spilled wine! The bar had many young regulars, good cocktails and great music. The food was delicious. We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SplendidRayknivesDined on 8/30/2014We went as a group of 7 for my fiancee's birthday. We shared many great apps & mains and tasted several of the great wines & delicious deserts. It's really quality food with amazing flavor. We were treated in a personable way by every staff member we encountered. Very accommodating and a charming, romantic atmosphere. One of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- The following 303 reviews are from the Bacaro reviews archive.
- Great place.PickyEaterDined on 7/26/2014For the money, this place is great. Food is excellent for the price point. Service was very good. Waitress had great recommendations.Special Features:
- one of the best in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/15/2014Absolutely hands down one of the best Italian spots in the city. I can't sing enough praises about this little gem in the LES.Special Features:
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/15/2014Took a friend here for his birthday. We both like to try new things. Heard this place was known for it's squid ink pasta which I love but he had never tried. We ordered 6 apps and an entree to share and it was enough. Squid ink pasta was absolutely delicious so were most of the apps, tiny spicy meatballs (yum), fried sardine (mmmm), polenta (cheesy and amazing). We had two bottles of prosecco and there was not a minute that our glasses were not full. Service was great, helpful, sweet, not too overwhelming. And the place ha charming, almost looks like a converted wine cellar. Overall great find in what seems to be Chinatown. Would definitely recommend and am definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeJust5ofusDined on 7/13/2014Sole, nocchi, whole wheat pasta, market salad, chicken. ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my faves2gramsmusicDined on 6/11/2014The food is always great! It has a cool wine cave like environment, great for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yet againblacksmithDined on 6/3/2014It's my restaurant of choice when I'm with a couple friends and want to dine well in my neighborhood. Inventive, great with meats and vegies, and fabulous deserts. And fun cocktails too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Loud!rasterDined on 5/28/2014What a lovely setting with terrific food, occasionally spoiled by extremely loud and grating music totally inappropriate to the context. I'd come here more often if it were quieter. We asked to have the music turned down (twice), and it actually got louder!Special Features:
- Good food, party too largeFoodie4life7780Dined on 5/24/2014We had recently been to Bacaro to celebrate another friends birthday and our plans were a little last minute and this place had an availability to seat us.the food was very good so we wanted to support the place. Originally the party was for 15, but as last minute cancellations happen there ended up being far fewer of us. They accommodated us, but I felt like it was more of an convenience to seat us at that point. The waiter was nice, but I thought maybe a little bit more enthusiastic about the food, he also forgot a couple of items here and there which is fine, we are all human. All in all, this place is probably better for an even smaller group than our party.I would recommend this to a friend.
- odd changettttVIPDined on 5/22/2014we go to enjoy the experience on a regular basis and love to take our friends there - the food, location, setting did not disappoint - nor did the service - however - we did notice that the portions had gotten smaller! but not less expensive - further we typically order our appetizers first then order the entrees later - we were told that that would mess up the small kitchen's pacing - - - so we ordered everything all at once - well the pacing was messed up anyway - entrees coming a good 20 minutes after the appetizer dishes were cleared away! good conversation in an awesome setting - with super food - is what our Bacaro experience is about - but the smaller portions and bad pacing - may require a rethink.Special Features:
- DinningKk1985Dined on 5/17/2014Beautiful, hidden Italian restaurant with a perfect menu. I wanted to order everything. Start with the meat & cheese plate, you will not be disappointed. Fabulous wine list. Service was a little slow to start, but they were packed on a Saturday night. Plus, you don't mind waiting in a place so charming. Really great date spot, or a nice for a private party due to the little nooks in the basement with bigger tables. Price was incredibly reasonable for such a trendy/fancy spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced and underperformpanchopiedraDined on 5/14/2014My "steak" was a tiny, fatty piece of what might have been skirt or london broil. I kept pulling fat out of my mouth and ended up with an unsightly plate of trimmings that would have been best cut by the sous chef before getting to my plate, but then of course the 3 ounce portion would have ended up being 2 ounces. Instead of $20 I would have gladly paid $22-23 and gotten some meat. Wines were way over priced but that's an easier fix than bad food.
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014We came there for Mother's day. The place is very cute and would be a great first date/date place or an outing with friends. It wasn't too crowded which was great! Service was good. Food was good. The dishes were not as small as I thought they would be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyElliegurlDined on 4/27/2014The food here is great, but what I really love is the ambiance and the space. It's perfect for dates or for a larger group.Special Features:
- Venice Meets LESattentiondinersVIPDined on 4/18/2014Capable Northern Italian food swathed, for better or worse, in a chic LES atmosphere. A little loud for groups: a little loud, none too many sharable items. Great for dates: dependable energy, a little cramped, good cocktails.Special Features:
- A delightful dungeonSydneySlingerDined on 4/18/2014When we arrived we went downstairs to what has to be seen to understand. It was like be led into the catacombs, very delightful & very romantic. The food was exceptionally good and our server Lizzie was just awesome. If I get time, I'll be back before I leave NYC.Special Features:
- Not quite therenickDined on 4/10/2014If our service had been different we would have had a much better experience. Our waitress screwed up our order in both content and the ordering of the courses ( if you are part of an authentic Italian restaurant, you should have course order down). We're easy-going, but she offered no solutions when she saw we weren't happy other than suggesting that we could order (and pay for) additional dishes in a way that would have made a romantic dinner chaotic. She was not apologetic -indeed, she seemed annoyed. The food itself was fairly good - esp the tagliata - but the spaghetti alle vongole were very salty. Desserts and the wine list were solid. As someone from the Veneto, I was excited to try this place but will not be returning.
- Shhhh!MeastleamyDined on 4/9/2014We love this place. It is a serious but honest restaurant where one can eat well AND hold a conversation without having to yell. The food is prepared with care and the flavors are straight from Italy. Service is always attentive, but never obsequious. Might be nice if they occasionally added some new items to the menu, but not imperative. The setting and atmosphere are like none other in the city: Basement of a chateau, with requisite chandeliers and barrel vaulted ceilings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- romantic digs and great foodtgnycDined on 4/8/2014I'm so glad we chose Bacaro for a quiet, romantic mid-week dinner. We were having an intimate birthday celebration and it was perfect. I'd only been here once before and it was for a larger group birthday dinner celebrating someone's 30th. It was perfect then too, so it's versatile but still maintains a high level of service and the same pleasant ambiance for these two different dining experiences. Definitely on my list of favorites. Thank you! p.s. the polenta is amazing. And I'm not even a huge ricotta fan but those zucchini blossoms are worth writing home about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this spotNYEGuestVIPDined on 4/4/2014There is a nice bar area on the first floor with a few tables for casual dining. Downstairs, it looks like a converted wine cellar. Very romantic, with alcoves and candles. We loved the shrimp and polenta and gnocchi entrees. The salad as an appetizer was refereshing, and there was an artichoke heart special appetizer with cheese, which we hope to find there again. The complimentary bread was ok (not as crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside as I'd prefer), and my friend liked the chocolate cake better than I did, but it was still good - just a little dense for me. Great service, and my favorite kind of music (80s and new wave)! Overall, an excellent dining experience. Definitely going back!Special Features:
- Very SpecialAmaryllisVIPDined on 4/2/2014My Manhattan dining spree came to a perfect end at Bacaro. It was a longer walk than I wanted from my hotel, but at 11 pm mid week, choices of decent eateries (that I hadn't tried) were limited. When I arrived, solo and in the mood for quiet, its street level bar area was so loud and lively that my first impulse was to move on. Still, I opted to stay and found the crowd quite friendly. I was treated to delightful conversations with the owner, Alain, and some of his regulars; a tour of the downstairs suite of dining rooms -- magical; and easily one of the best pasta w clams dishes I've ever had, which is saying a lot as I order it frequently. That night I realized, with all due respect to my beloved LA, New York could steal my foodie heart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business dinnerATLGALDined on 3/25/2014This was a great spot for a business dinner. A bit loud, as it got later, but not is a bad way. Food was different and sharable which brought the group together. Razor clams, crab salad, sausage over lentils, and meat and cheese tray were all excellent as shared appetizers. All different enough for the foodies in the group but still "safe" for the non-foodies. Braised pork shank was so tender it fell off the bone, and the sole was light and elegant in taste. Try the panna cotta for dessert, worth every bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our go-to spot in the neighborhoodNycstylistDined on 3/18/2014Bacaro is one of our favorite restaurants in the neighborhood. The downstairs is cozy great for a romantic dinner but also good for groups as there are a few large tables in the back. The wine list is extensive and the food prices very reasonable. They could change their menu up a bit, its been the same for a few years now. But they are getting better with specials so it allows for a bit more variety. Overall, a gem in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Romantic Date NightOliviaDined on 3/16/2014Had the most wonderful date at Bacaro. The setting is beautiful and incredibly romantic. We had razor clams and snails for an appetizer, cuttlefish ink pasta for dinner and tiramisu for dessert. Everything was wonderful- our waiter (wish I could remember his name) was friendly and very knowledgeable without being overbearing. An absolutely perfect night.Special Features:
- One of a kind!MNYCVIPDined on 3/16/2014I recommend sitting downstairs- very moody and romantic as the walls are cave-like exposed brick and tables are lit throughout by candle light. The ambiance and interior makes for a truly unique dining experience. Not to mention all the food we had (especially the Nero pasta) was superb. Has a private dining area for groups in the back as well with a candle chandelier and long wooden table.Special Features:
- comfortable and welcomingttttVIPDined on 3/9/2014so wonderful to have a place like Bacaro in the neighborhood - the experience is just all round enjoyable - the food - the setting - the staff - all attentive and delightful - the food is always good - we love bringing friends to experience BacaroSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and even better service!revskyDined on 3/7/2014Did my research before going here and could not be happier! They were very busy the night we went so we chose to eat at the bar instead of a table and very glad we did! The bartender was extremely helpful, funny, and engaging. We ate way too much! The soup was amazing and the appetizers were spot on. Definitely not a quiet place, but as long as you know what you want, that's ok. Will definitely be returning the next time we are in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's sexy here... Love theDRochelDined on 3/5/2014It's sexy here... Love the candle lighting everywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful & Romantic RestaurantDaniella84VIPDined on 2/26/2014I love Bacaro! The ambiance is very unique, it all looks like an underground wine cellar. The Italian food is great, but there are no many options if you eat healthy. It's traditional italian with a lot of cheese and butter on everything.Special Features:
- Not as romantic as advertisedluv2dineDined on 2/21/2014The food is quite good, and the ambience is lovely (if a bit dim), but the restaurant is too loud to be pitched as the intimate romantic place that others have mentioned.I would recommend this to a friend.
- NY Times Says It ExactlyBKSDDined on 2/15/2014We expected much from this relative of Peasant but found it disappointing. The food is average--promising but less than memorable. Service was lacking with entrees being delivered before appetizers were finished and no apologies or even acknowledgement of the rushed pace from the staff. The atmosphere is the only saving grace to this establishment. For that alone, I would consider a future cocktail here.
- italian stallionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/12/2014Love the decor and ambiance ! Our server helped my wife choose gluten free options and was so sweet and kind. Food was great! We had a lambrusco that our server picked out that was just what we were looking for. Fantastic!Special Features: