1124 9th St. NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Wine BarPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.babywaledc.com/
- Phone: 2024503311x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Baby Wale
Baby Wale is an urban rustic tavern that serves a small selection of bar snacks which are seasonally inspired. Most of our ingredients are sourced from local farms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Baby Wale - Best Restaurants in Shaw ›
Baby Wale reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (19)vibrant bar scene (13)fit for foodies (12)notable wine list (8)good for groups (7)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)special occasion (3)romantic (2)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- More for wine than foodDecantersVIPDined on 10/11/2014The bartender at Baby Wale's sister restaurant next door, Corduroy, recommended this so we gave it a shot. We were expecting a little more restaurant than wine bar, but it was more the latter. Probably the longest bar we've seen with plenty of spaces for folks to pair up and chat, and it was lively after 8 or so. Coming from Houston, we've seen better, more varied wine lists, but so it goes. If you live in the area it would be a great place to meet up, but not a place I'd steer visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service, too loudHatterbakeVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food is amazing and the service excellent. We are big fans of the mozzarella porcupine. Miles is the best server there! The only downside is that we were sat near the bar area and the music from the speakers is just too loud. Couldn't even hold a conversation.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/23/2014Parking is impossible and no valet parking, finally valet parked at Marriott down the street. Loud for sure but tolerable. I was unimpressed by the bar from the outset. I've never been to a restaurant bar that doesn't stock a good vodka selection. Spring rolls were very good, porcupine mozzarella was just okay. We split the grill cheese which was okay but very small. Bright spot was the service which was very good. Overall, not a place I will visit again.
- Great Food!HatterbakeVIPDined on 8/1/2014This place has the best food! It is so delicious and the service is great. Also the cocktails are phenomenal and they have a beer I love called Ozzy Ale (Yes like in Ozzy Ousbourne). The atmosphere is a little warehousy and loud but that's my only complaint!Special Features:
- Great Lobster RollOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/5/2014My wife and I went the other night for dinner and found the service and food to be solid. The restaurant itself is also excellent. Our favorite hands down was the lobster roll. The lobster, plus the addition of tomato, in a non-mayo dressing was delicious!Special Features:
- Fun little restaurant/barBrownFoodieDined on 7/2/2014I went in for my husbands 30th birthday. We had about 16+ people come through. It was a great atmosphere and the food was delicious. The only downside was the service. It was a bit slow and from the guest standpoint, the waitress was not too friendly and forgot to put in an order, so one person at the table was waiting even longer for their food. Other than that management was great and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedEatingoutVIPDined on 7/1/2014With an interesting menu and a unique space, I had higher hopes. The selection was more limited than I initially thought and they weren't just as good as I expected.
- Neighborhood Gem in Mt. VernonrrschrumjrVIPDined on 6/24/2014A fun place in Shaw/Mt. Vernon. Unique vibe -- go-go music is always playing, and the restaurant has old go-go concert posters on the wall. Beautiful loft-style space. The wines by the glass are posted on custom vintage-style concert posters. Then the food -- universally excellent. Includes some classics like meatballs but also some delicious unusual stuff that might not seem exciting at first glance, like spring rolls the size of huge taquitos and a wonderful cauliflower soup. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- The following 75 reviews are from the Baby Wale reviews archive.
- Reel it INBeeHaverJDined on 6/16/2014Baby Wale...is a fun adventure...there is something for EVERYONE on the menu...they take you thru a variety of favorites and do not disappoint. PUPSusa...authentic and awsome. Salads true. Did not try the spring rolls but not a bite left at our table. Pizza's delightful and the roasted chicken arugula shallot dish....what was not eaten was taken home. MUST save room for desserts too! Waitress and Bartender both cheerful, friendly and attentive. Will go back.....need to taste the rest of the menu!!!!!!!Special Features:
- new favlahorvVIPDined on 6/14/2014Baby Wale is my new favorite spot. We've already been back. What is not to love? The food is super-good. I had the lobster roll, my husband had the jersey hot dog. We had a pupusa and hungarian bread soup for apps. It was all perfect. It was probably the best lobster roll I've ever had. Cocktails were great, wine list had some fun choices. Service was very friendly. But the best part is they play go-go all the time. All the time, just rocking out to go-go and eating awesome food. That's what Baby Wale is.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/9/2014I had been here when it first opened and had been disappointed; very small menu, stressed out server, and the food took forever. The menu has since improved, there are quite a few more choices, the server Boris was fantastic, however the food still took very long to get to us. Odd because the restaurant wasn't crowded and we had only ordered some soup, salad, and a pizza. If the kitchen speeds up a bit, I will be happy to give it 5 stars- as it stands, it still could use some work and I really wonder how long things would take on a full night.Special Features:
- Good foodPicojouleVIPDined on 5/24/2014Everything we had was good. Meatball casserole and porcupine were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarvelousNiceDined on 5/24/2014I have to admit that the baby wale surprised me in every way . Good drinks, pleasant staff, interesting menu, I have to mention perhaps the longest bar in DC . It all started with the beautiful smile of Hostes than with our server Boris , is his name, a very interesting young man with an interesting accent . You have to try the mozzarella porcupine, springrols ...don't miss them , steak was so good that I wanted to order another one to go :) combination of a very charming server, food and interesting drinks all at reasonable prices .... honestly what else :) after all .... ending with chocolate pudding was everything I needeD Boris have definitely made my Birthday beautiful with its recommendationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around solidOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2014Everything about my dinner was enjoyable, solid. I don't know if there was anything I'd call remarkable, but Baby Wale is definitely worth a try. I really liked the atmosphere and feel of the restaurant. Our service was very courteous and attentive, and I liked everything I tried. Highlight were the spring rolls and the soft shell crab sandwich. The pupusas had a wonderful texture, and the slaw / marinara sauce was a nice touch. I'd like a little more spice or something to give them a little more kick. Seared salmon was cooked perfectly. I'm glad to have this place in the neighborhood and will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food in a boisterous ambianceRoyGDined on 5/9/2014The food was excellent, though the menu is eclectic and limited. We liked what we selected but would have liked more choices to consider. The ambiance was a loud young crowd in a restaurant designed to be energetic not upscale or romantic.Special Features:
- Good atmosphere, forgettable food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014I ordered the spring rolls and the mushroom pizza. While I do say the spring rolls were good, the pizza was completely bland. I actually didn't finish it. It really didn't have any flavor. But overall, it had a good vibe and really good service.Special Features:
- Great Shaw spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/29/2014I was underwhelmed by the food at Baby Wale and the service was a bit slow (surprising because we were there early so the restaurant was relatively empty). I would consider returning though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thumbs downChrisDined on 4/21/2014It was a bad experience from the moment we walked in the door. The host pointed to our table then proceeded to answer his cell phone without escorting us to the table or giving us the menu. It continued to go downhill when the manager had to take our order because there wasn't a waiter available. The beans in the duck comfit cassoulet were undercooked and dry. We were a party of 5 and we each ordered a different appetizer and main course but nothing was very appealing not even the cookies.
- DeliciousMegsVIPDined on 4/17/2014Great service. Cool vibe. Hipster-y but in a positive way. Amazing food at a really decent price. Went for dinner with my parents. Had the pupusas, duck cassoulet, pasta with chicken, and katsu pork dish. Everything was fantastic. Ordered a delicious and very reasonably priced Bordeaux. Going to bring my boyfriend next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, watch out for HHDeborahDined on 4/17/2014I enjoyed it! There were several interesting dishes, all of them beautifully executed & tasty. The cocktail list was also great, with an emphasis on lesser known spirits, (e.g., no Grey Goose or Ketel 1, but the server recommended an equivalent that I really liked in my gimlet). The space is neat-high ceilings, jaunty decorations & an enormous bar. I'd say if you're going specifically for Happy Hour, it's a wonderful place. Unfortunately, table service during Happy Hour was terrible. Our table was a little hidden behind the crowd-it was very long before we were even acknowledged, much less able to place a drink order. Service was much better later on though. It was also a bit noisy, but again that is expected from a neighborhood hot spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a drinkFishheadDined on 4/17/2014While not a total washout, the best thing about the evening was the drinks. The service was very slow for a 1/3 full restaurant. The food itself was decent but not worth a second trip.Special Features:
- Great space for a nice casual mealecreviewerDined on 4/12/2014Baby Wale has a fantastic atmosphere. It's a very cool space for a nice, casual meal or a drink at the bar. Perfect spot if you're having a full day around town and want something casual, but nice for a full meal, appetizers or just a drink. Really enjoyed the salami pizza and the papusas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool spotSueKVIPDined on 4/8/2014Baby Wale was a cool spot and fun. There's plenty of room. We were catching up with folks we hadn't seen for awhile and we were not rushed at all and that was appreciated. But I thought the food was "just ok". Nothing fabulous. It tasted fine but there was no "dazzle" on the plate. Eye appeal counts for a lot for me. It is a convenient location if you are going to the Convention Center, so I might return but I wouldn't rush....Special Features:
- Go for drinks -- not foodDCfoodiesVIPDined on 4/2/2014I love trying new restaurants, so I was excited to try Baby Wale for happy hour. The atmosphere, and bar, and drinks are awesome -- but no happy hour deals (on food or drinks). The food is another story...no good apps unless you want a hot bowl of celery root soup to go along with your beer. The menu is so far fetched that none of their small plates sounded good to me (and i'm not a picky eater). When I looked around, no one else was eating in the entire restaurant either! This place is in dire need of happy hour and some good bar food with a twist (cilantro wings, caprese silders, etc...)Special Features:
- GREATKacieDined on 3/29/2014Great restaurant! The staff was VERY nice, our server was excellent, we ordered almost all of the appetizers and each one was better than the next. Our entrees were great too ,drinks very different but good, and the best part was the dinner was very reasonably priced for what we got.Special Features:
- Great fooddburkejDined on 3/20/2014The menu was very interesting, informal with items like spring rolls, pupusas, and even hot dogs, but everything was delicious! Like most trendy places it was very noisy. We asked to sit in the back where it was marginally -- only marginally -- less noisy. It makes conversation difficult, but not impossible.Special Features:
- V Good food, heaping side of noiseBelleDined on 3/14/2014Very well executed food - the breaded pork was delicious, juicy,and tender. Loved the savory faux rib-eye. Celery root soup: intense but the lobster stock was pronounced. Porcupine mozzarella - fantastic pairing between the creamy cheese and the crispy filo dough. We didn't delve into the cocktail menu. The wait staff proactively offered info about each of the dishes so we had a good idea of what to expect (or could have used that info to change our mind). The noise level at 7 pm on a Friday was intense b/c high vaulted ceilings and hard surfaces. I was expecting something cozier given the web design. This is a large space, industrial feel, with rustic touches (the posters, the tin plates). Bustling. Don't recommend for quiet romance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to socialize with friendsCorkyBubblesDined on 3/11/2014New Jersey dog was good, as was the fancy cheese and salvedorean dishes. IPA was good! Noise is low and we brought kids to our table as well and had a great time!Special Features:
- We found this place to beJRMIIIDined on 3/7/2014We found this place to be pretty substandard. In the pursuit of being avant garde, it's just weird. There was not a single recognizable vodka: no Stoly, no Ketel One: heck, for that matter, no Smirnoff's! We ordered martinis, and the waiter served them in juice glasses, and spooned small olives into each. They all had pits! Same with the beer selection. Groovy doesn't equal good. The sandwiches were over-toasted. The fries were more reminiscent of the potato sticks that used to come in a can. The waitress was pleasant, but clearly had no idea what she was serving. The space has substituted a few crummy posters in a cavernous room for "décor". Overall, it just ain't working.
- Great spot for a casual work-relateOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/5/2014Great spot for a casual work-related dinner; awesome bar that spans entire length of restaurant. Plenty of space, not too crowded or loud. Really enjoyed eclectic menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For foodies who want valueRayFlyerDined on 2/27/2014Delightful & tasty menu items. Have the spring rolls - almost a dinner by themselves. Good variety of wines. And a free freshly baked cookie for each diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The mushroom fettucini wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/17/2014The mushroom fettucini was fabulous and everything else was good, except the mozzarella porcupine was cold..Special Features:
- Fun place with good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014I would come back to try some of their smaller dishes. Seems to be a great spot for happy hour for a small group. Small dishes seem to give a fresh spin on bar food. Wait staff was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theater Light DinnernotnathanDined on 2/7/2014The place has a relaxed easy atmosphere, a spacious bar area, and is probably great fun for a late night gathering or a drink. I stuck with a couple of food choices recommended by others; we both liked the food and the desserts -- cookies. The menu is too limited, though, so its a better place for a drink than for dinner right now. Service was very good; our server was attentive, friendly and timely, and the food arrived in a reasonable time after ordering it. Right across from convention center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Baby WalepjmccDined on 2/6/2014We asked for and got a quiet table in an otherwise noisy restaurant. Great for late night wine and light dining. Service was great.Special Features:
- I love the space and I loveChrisVIPDined on 1/25/2014I love the space and I love that it is in my neighborhood which is changing quickly. I am not 100 % about the menu, but there are some gems on it still. My bf and I love the Pilipino spring rolls and the grilled cheese sandwich was amazing. Simple food is always the best. My meal was delicious, but I don't think it was memorable, but I do plan to return to try other items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Plates? No. Atmosphere? YesHelftmossDined on 1/25/2014Really cute place with chill vibe and nice atmosphere. One problem: we ordered too much. The menu had somethings listed as like "small plates" or something along those lines and so we ordered 4 things for two people - WAY too much and we ended up leaving most of it.Special Features:
- Eclectic Menu, Delicious FoodJMarkmanVIPDined on 1/25/2014The menu, at first, seems odd; lobster and hot dogs in the same place? But seriously, try it; we had the spring rolls, the hot dog, the lobster roll, and some kind of chocolate pudding/custard dessert. All were delicious. The bar seemed happening, and my wife enjoyed her cocktail, so I think they're a success on that front as well! Our server was excellent, too.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/24/2014We had great drinks and food and lingered over the chicken for a most enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location but terrible foodSimplyanksDined on 1/16/2014We went there since the reviews were good. The ambience is very vibrant but the service and food were a major disappointment. The tables were severely understaffed and the kitchen was struggling - even the manager acknowledged the kitchen issue. It took 45 miss for them to bring the spring rolls out after we reminded the person waiting our table. We ordered the Mozzarella Porcupine and Spring Rolls and the food was very salty. We actually decided to go somewhere else for dinner instead. I would recommend this place for drinks only.Special Features: