Baby Blues BBQ
3402 Sansom St
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Baby Blues BBQ
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://babybluesbbq.com/
- Phone: 2152224444
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Barbecue
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We offer full service catering for most any size parties. From 20 people to 500 people, we can cater your wedding, birthday party, graduation party, or any special event! We can cater onsite, or offsite, and can bring our smoker to cook to order onsite. Please go to www.babybluesbbq.com and review our Catering section for more details.
- Entertainment: We have live music every Wednesday evenings through the summer from 9-12PM. Come visit us and watch some of the best blues/jazz, rock and reggae sounds in Philly!
- Special Events: Baby Blues BBQ hosts many events. BBQ challenges, outdoor/indoor events with live music, and fund raisers. Check our website for more details.
- Public Transit: We are in walking distance to 30th St Station. We are 1/2 a block away from the "EL", so you can travel to all Philly sports stadiums within minutes.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are several options: 34th & Chestnut Parking garage 36th & Walnut parking garage Street Parking
A word from Baby Blues BBQ
Baby Blues BBQ burst into the barbeque scene in 2004 by offering great soul food with a unique family atmosphere. We have been providing great service with a variety of mouth watering barbeque options since the day we opened our first restaurant in Venice, California. In a few short years, we now feature locations in Hollywood, San Francisco, and here in Philadelphia. Our menu features Memphis(St. Louis cut) ribs, dry-rubbed baby backs, Texas beef rib, brisket and pork slow smoked in Guinness beer, grilled marinated shrimp, catfish(blackened or fried), delicious home-made fixin's, home-made desserts, and home-made sauces that can satisfy any style taste buds. We also have a full service bar with a world class selection of craft, domestic, and imported beer, wine, and spirits. Come in, kick back, and enjoy!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Baby Blues BBQ reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (8)great for lunch (7)good for groups (6)fit for foodies (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (3)romantic (2)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)special occasion (1)Show More
- The worst experience in PhilMikeDined on 7/24/2014The food was average for a bbq place in Philadelphia, but the service was horrendous. We were sat and after waiting 20 minutes for anyone to even ask for our drink order, I asked the hostess if we had a server? Someone came over, took our drinks and food. We never saw him again for an hour. Then, another server came up (who I guess WAS supposed to be our server) and asked if we needed anything. By that point, we had been done eating 30 minutes, did not receive the dessert we ordered and just wanted to leave. Oh, to top it off, as we're walking out there is a guy standing INSIDE the restaurant clipping his nails. I will never go here again.
- Great DateDuck4u11Dined on 7/20/2014Scheduled a table for a date with my girlfriend and we chose the eat outdoor option. We tried out the University City Dining Days deal and boy did the food fill us up quick. We enjoyed our time outside in the quite Sunday evening and were completely satisfied with our experience. Would go back again.Special Features:
- Great BBQ for Yankees ;-)EdHooker3VIPDined on 7/18/2014As we were used to southern bbq, it was great to find a place in the heart of University City that had authentic bbq. Great portions, awesome side dishes, fantastic deserts.Special Features:
- Not so hotLadybugDined on 7/18/2014While the location and the ambience were terrific the food was not. I had the pulled pork with okra and mashed sweet potato. The pool of grease on my plate was disgusting. I could not put the meat in my mouth without first putting it on a paper towel first. Nasty.
- One of my favsCATaylorDined on 7/15/2014This is one of my Favs. I had to make a last min location change to celebrate a special someone's birthday, and this place was the answer. Everyone had a great time and they real enjoyed the food. I will be coming back to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazedDittyDined on 6/15/2014We took my FIL for Father's Day and this was the most we have seen him eat in years. The food was amazing. The staff was great. I'm already wanting to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good barbecueOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/11/2014Good barbecue, but little else of note. Sides were relatively bland, and the list of beers bot bottled and tap is surprisingly short.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mookieDined on 6/6/2014good food great dining fun envirermentpleasent staff.good prices great locationSpecial Features:
- Great find!VictoriaVIPDined on 5/24/2014We both really enjoyed our food. Greta food, services and prices.Special Features:
- Fav BBQ I've had in the cityAshleyDined on 5/21/2014We've been to probably 4 or 5 other BBQ restaurants in the city and this is our favorite so far. There are a lot of options and based on what we tried, it's all good, even the sauces (all 5 are available on every table, awwwwww yeah). I love the classic sides like mac & cheese and baked beans, and that banana pudding will make you see Jesus. Shoutout to our waitress Maia who ROCKED. We'll definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 93 reviews are from the Baby Blues BBQ reviews archive.
- IheartphillyDined on 5/18/2014They don't serve hot coffee or hot tea. Service is slow. Trout underdone. Doggie Box was dirty
- Good stuff!PhillydebDined on 5/14/2014Good service and friend. Good staff, Friendly staff and great kitchen people .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of catfish at 6:45 pm?PhilDined on 5/12/2014We've always had great food and enjoyed dining at Baby Blues. This was an exception. Perhaps it's because it was a very slow night. The service was incredibly show, although friendly. The bar was empty and the tables less than a quarter filled. In addition, they said that they ran out of blackened catfish at 6:30 pm. So my daughter ordered the fried. They then came back and told us they had run out of that as well. Having said that, the brisket, pulled pork and Caesar salad, with chicken, were good, although not at it's usual level. Perhaps with school being out, it was a letdown week.Special Features:
- DelightfulStylzDined on 5/11/2014I took my wife to honor her on Mother's Day and we really enjoyed ourselves! The food was not only good it also didn't take long from our order to our table. Nice service and pleasant staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnhappyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014The service was very good however the fried tomatoes needed salt and the mac & cheese was over cooked. The ribs were ok but they also lacked seasoning. Don't think I will go back.
- Mothers DaymrshooksDined on 5/11/2014I had a taste for BBQ for mothers day, and decided to come here based on a recommendation. The service was Great! They were very attentive and the food came out quickly. The Hot wings were fantastic, the the entree serving taste and size were good. The side were very bland and no amount of seasoning improved the taste. I would return for the wings and beer only.Special Features:
- Consistently good foodMaryVIPDined on 5/2/2014Have been to the restaurant a number of times and have taken guests with same excellent result. All entrees were great and the staff friendly and attentiveSpecial Features:
- No pork ribs - food was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/24/2014It was Thursday night, 8 p.m., and after we ordered we were informed that they had no pork ribs! The only ribs available were beef ribs, one, and it was horrible, burned in fact. The chicken was awful as well, and they also ran out of mashed sweet potatoes. Our table was also extremely uncomfortable, in a corner, next to an over-seated bar height table so we had the joy of being knocked in the head by their handbags.
- AmazingMoootsDined on 4/5/2014The food was amazing it came out very fast i ordered the wings and texas style beef ribs and trust me it was amazing it couldnt have been any better, it was slowly cooked and marainted it feel straight off the bone honestly ive been thinking about the food for the past couple of days i would love to be there every day if i had the money for it. saying that dont worry its not expensive for what you get however if your just looking for something cheap and boring then dont look here because you pay for what you eat and that awesomeness trust me. and plus the waiters and super friendly and extremely hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Different Kind of BBQjjvmDined on 4/5/2014Dined with another couple and we had two plates of the pulled pork, one plate of the catfish and one Macnow sandwich. All were very nice and the portions were good. The sides we had were the Mac n Cheese, greens, mashed potatoes, baked beans, potato salad. All were very good with the Mac n Cheese and the greens being the best. Service was good and the crowd was not too loud. All in all a very good meal.Special Features:
- Great BBQ and serviceBalaSDined on 3/30/2014Went to dinner at Baby Blues with 7 people and were seated promptly downstairs, where we had the room to ourselves. I was a little concerned about service being away from the action, but our waitress was great. Cheerful, helpful, made good suggestions and quick. She even took our whole table's orders, including a couple of changes, without writing anything down and got it all right. The food was all delicious and served hot. We had baby back ribs, brisket, chicken, fried green tomatoes, salad and a number of sides. Finally, we had banana pudding, chocolate peanut butter mousse and key lime pie. All were fresh and well-made. Prices were reasonable for what you get. We will definitely make this a go-to spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but cold roomDinerDined on 3/26/2014We had an excellent meal with a wonderful server. Everything was great except we were put downstairs and it was freezing, by the middle of our meal they got the heat going to make us a little more comfortable. If it's cold outside id recommend asking to sit upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RibsPtorresmxDined on 3/12/2014Nice flavor, sauces and kitchen. Very fun ambiance. Pulled pork is good, but ribs are awesome.Special Features:
- Love the ribsGlennDined on 3/12/2014The baby back ribs were excellent. Large, meaty and very tasty! 4 or 5 different BBQ sauces - no doubt everyone could find a BBQ sauce that they enjoy. A dining companion agreed, but thought that the brisket was only average. Service was fine. As to the space, it's a barbecue joint in a college neighborhood. Using that standard, it was exactly what one would expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place. This wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2014I love this place. This was my 4th or 5th time coming to Baby Blues and I plan on continuing to come back. As far as BBQ goes in Philly, Baby Blues is one of the best. From the get-go, their grilled wings are great. Don't stress over what type to order, all the sauces are already on the table. I am a big fan of the "Ace in the sleeve" which gives you one half rack of ribs, blackened or fried catfish, and their BBQ shrimp (+ the obligatory cornbread + 2 sides). The place is a little pricey for me but as a former Penn student and now a graduate student in Philadelphia, Baby Blues is a great place for when family is in town and you don't feel like the restaurants next door. The portions are quite large and you're guaranteed to leave satisfied!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQ!Bjw1VIPDined on 3/1/2014Philly isnt known for BBQ, but this place rocks. Ask for the "hidden" room for a large party.Special Features:
- Very slowOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/28/2014We had a reservation for lunch and had to wait over an hour after we were seated to get our appetizers and close to an hour and a half to get our main dishes. The waitress did warn us when we ordered that a large number of orders had just been placed, but it seems like a ridiculously long wait for a meal and they should hire an adequate number of people so the kitchen can prepare food for the number of people that the restaurant seats.
- Service/ServersLennyDined on 2/16/2014Our servers were Allison and Justin and I want to compliment them on doing a FABULOUS job! We had 10 diners on a Sunday and they, especially Allison, continuously asked if we needed anything, checked on us, and always provided us with anything we needed (lots of waters and drinks). We celebrated two birthdays and Allison was wonderful in cutting the cake and helping us celebrate. She deserves special recognition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little spot near UPenn.SanchoPanzaJrVIPDined on 1/21/2014Nice little spot near UPenn. Delicious bbq and lots of selections for portion size. (A third of a rack of rib, for example.) Great pork and beans, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is definitely meantPatsullyVIPDined on 11/23/2013This place is definitely meant for college kids - the wait for food was very long and no one came by to see how we were doing. The food was way too spicy without any mention of it on the menu. Despite the fact that I work at Penn I would never come here again.
- Beware XXXMellyDined on 11/2/2013Been here twice and both experiences have been great. Great if you're craving some Barbecue. But beware of the XXX sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service & Great southern foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2013We sat in a small dinning room down stairs with one other party. It was very quiet and could have good conversation. I had the pulled pork and it was very tasty. The waitress really enjoyed working there. The desserts were great too. My husband said the Banana pudding was one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good...not greatDND1991Dined on 11/2/2013Overall, our experience at Baby Blues BBQ was just OK. The food was good, but I've had far better BBQ elsewhere in the city and suburbs. As for the drinks: Lagunitas served in a 10oz glass - I expect that for something 9% ABV or higher, but not for an IPA at 5.7% Bud Light bottle was warm Malbec was about a week old Server did take the wine off when we complained. Also, we made reservations, which helped, but then they seated us by the entrance so it was a constant parade of patrons standing right behind us the entire time. Overall just not a good experience. Doubt that I'll go back.Special Features:
- Great BBQ!TosyoDined on 10/5/2013The brisket was delish! My wife also enjoyed her Memphis style ribs...we'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great for large meat eating groups!canuckDined on 10/5/2013Had 11 people on Sat night in VIP private room in basement - able to control the noise level, cozy space. Ordered 11-13 person "feed bag" (Group platter) - for 7 M and 4 F hearty eaters had TONS of meat leftover - oder down in size. MEat was excellent. Sides were disappointing - bland and scant servings (had mac n cheese, baked beans, cole slaw, creamed sweet potato). Rustic ambiance, had TV screens with football games on - fun collegiate atmosphere - ambiance best for casual dinners - was great for parents weekend and large group walking distance from university. Didn't sample dessert - was too full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went during UniversityOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/27/2013We went during University City Dining Days on a Saturday night and they were not prepared (3 courses for $25). We were a little disappointed when we arrived and they were cooking Baby Back Ribs in the smoker which we all wanted. We would have had to wait an hour for them so we opted for the Memphis ribs.. Then my husband ordered his desert with his dinner so they would not run out and when it came time for desert they ran out of it too. They miraculously found one for him. Service was very good, the food was good and fresh. We were seated on time. My son raved about this restaurant so it was disappointing that we could not get what we wanted. They were very nice and tried to make us happy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing ! OrderedbiggutchVIPDined on 7/7/2013Very disappointing ! Ordered beef rib dinner for $25.95. Only one rib on the plate.
- Cut me a breakMegglesDined on 5/28/2013My friend and I had tried to go to baby blues three days in a row and baby blues was horrible at letting their customers know they were closed. The food was good when we finally were able to go but the service was poor.
- BBQ like down southsteakchampsDined on 5/15/2013I have yet to find a place in Philly that has BBQ like Texas. This resturant comes pretty close. Everything was cooked very well. I definitely recommend this place.Special Features:
- Food Good!Waitress Cute!Server BAD!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/27/2013very nice bbq place or joint waitress was awesome and cutely tattooed! drink were really good!. food nice and big portions. ribs were right brisket was perfect. pork was tasty. appetizers were skimpy. but what stood out was the plate runner [ the guy who brings platters to your table] he gave the couple next to us the wrong food, after fondly through the plate he took it back and served it directly to the right guests at the table one over! hmmm! no excuse me but here take a used plate of food!!! WRONG DUDE send it back and make a new order quickly! MAJOR health violation! HINT: Make me my plate again please, don't serve me leftovers.Special Features: