Babushka Eastern European Restaurant & Deli
1475 Newell Ave
Walnut Creek, CA 94596Neighborhood:
RussianPrice: $30 and under
Babushka Eastern European Restaurant & Deli
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://babushkafood.com/
- Phone: 9252100779x
- Hours of Operation:
Deli Monday & Tuesday 10:00am - 7:00pm
Deli Wednesday - Saturday10:00am - 9pm
Deli Sunday11:00am - 4:00pm
Restaurant - Lunch: Monday-Sunday 11:30-3:00
Restaurant - Dinner: Wednesday-Saturday 5:00-9:00
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Russian, Eastern European
- Executive Chef: Zoriy Malkov
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Babushka Russian Deli and Restaurant guarantees prompt delivery and high quality of delectable foods along with well-trained and experienced personnel committed to providing you with the highest level of satisfaction and service.
- Entertainment: visit website for upcoming events and more info
- Special Events: Please send all requests for more information to
A word from Babushka Eastern European Restaurant & Deli
Looking for a Walnut Creek restaurant that offers characteristics of tradition, a welcoming atmosphere, and authentic cuisine, visit to Babushka Russian Deli and Restaurant. Executive chef Zoriy Malkov given his Grandmother's recipes a California flare, Utilizing heart healthy Non-GMO oils and Local produce. Stop in for a tasty treat from home crafted pastas, imported deli sandwiches, salads, cakes and deserts to world famous Piroshki.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Babushka Eastern European Restaurant & Deli reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (8)good for groups (3)special occasion (2)great for lunch (2)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great ExperienceskayrohDined on 10/1/2014Sometimes you go out to dinner and enjoy a great meal. Other times, if you're lucky, you go out to dinner and enjoy a great experience. Last Wednesday was one of those times. Our first visit to this nearby mom and pop (or maybe it's a pop and son), and we loved it. A special thanks to our fabulous waiter...wish we asked for his name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal and friendly staff. Starting with the appetizers of pate, smoked fish, and borscht to the main dishes we would highly recommend this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Russian California style!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/7/2014The chef makes a great effort to improve upon family recipes for the Californian palate. Wonderful selection, and excellent service. And the deli offers many delicious meats and salads that you cannot find anywhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best. Chicken Kiev. Ever.JimflipDined on 7/26/2014We tried this place on a whim, not really knowing what to expect. Boy, what a great find. The food is EXCEPTIONAL. Super fresh ingredients (purchased from local farms/farmers markets) plus real talent in the kitchen made this a meal to remember. We will DEFINITELY be back. Oh, one last thing - make sure you leave a little room for dessert, as the layer cake is absolutely heavenly !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodCometoBabushkaDined on 7/11/2014It's hidden behind the deli, get the Chicken Kiev. Food is superb. Everyone on the staff is very friendly and helpful. Give it a try at least once.Special Features:
- The following 17 reviews are from the Babushka Eastern European Restaurant & Deli reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/5/2014Food is delicious and service is wonderful. Do not be in a rush, though...the food does take a while to make it to the the table. Truly traditional European style. The dishes are exquisite and prepared with creation and care...worth the wait!Special Features:
- Something differentleeandrosedDined on 4/4/2014We were tired of the same cuisines on our dine out nights so we tried Babushka for our anniversary dinner. A pleasant surprise as the experience was great from booking to dessert. Very attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceJtstaoDined on 3/13/2014Babushka was a delite. The food was fantastic, the service execptional. This is a restaurant I will recomend to everyone I know. My guest and I had the Chicken Kiev and it was unbelievable. I consider this to be the second best chicken dish that I have ever had in a restaurant, the first being a Michelin rated restaurant in Burgundy France (and that meal cost me 10 times as much)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eastern European comfort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/1/2014This is a little neighborhood gem in Walnut Creek. We went with another couple and both the chicken Kiev and cabbage rolls (golubsty) were very good. For desert my wife and I split an order of the vanilla honey cake. This is a family owned restaurant that takes pride in their products. The only miss was we didn't get the coffee we had ordered with our desert. We will certainly go back for more tasty treats. Check out the website for their menu and a picture of the interior. I think there are a total of five to seven tables in the restaurant. The front room of the restaurant is a deli filled with Eastern European goodies.Special Features:
- A bit of Russia in Walnut CreekHUlagirlVIPDined on 1/21/2014The owner of Babushka is charming and the interior is just like an old-fashioned restaurant in Russia or Poland but....I thought the portions were meager. I had the cabbage rolls and perhaps I'm used to the hearty Polish type but I thought the ones at Babushka were kind of small. In fact, although we three diners split two orders of pierogi and then each had an entrée, I went away hungry! The menu does have quite an array of enticing-sounding Russian specialties. One of the diners ordered pelmenyi which were described as ravioli; there was very little soup/sauce with them (I have had them at another place in soup) and she didn't finish them as I think they were too dry for her.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Babushka in Walnut CreekEsserDined on 12/26/2013The attentive server was friendly and helpful. The appetizer Baklajahni (a marinated eggplant in a balsamic reduction) was terrific and can be purchased in the adjoining deli. The borscht people enjoyed their beet borscht. But the chicken Kiev seemed off, notably the seasoning.Special Features:
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/21/2013The restaurant on the outskirts of town and it is in back of a deli and the décor is ok. I thought the food would be ok, but it was actually excellent. Also they had imported beer and wine that made the experience even better. The wait staff were friendly, personable and attentive as well. It was an enjoyable evening. I would definitely go back and recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Family Style Findthe1repDined on 12/14/2013This is the second time our family has met here for lunch. On both visits the food was very good, service was prompt, and any request was met with polite hospitality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must try hidden gem!SpecialKVIPDined on 11/15/2013What an unexpected delight! We had a lovely dinner on a Friday night. Our waiter was so polite and kind and genuine- he provided excellent service that seems rare these days. We enjoyed the Piroshki, Borscht, Blintzes filled with herbed cheese, and our favorite of the evening- Chicken Kiev. The breading was fantastic, and the accompanying pan fried potatoes were divine! They were cooked to crispy perfection, and I only wish there had been more! For dessert we devoured the vanilla honey cake, which was moist and not too sweet. Looking forward to returning and trying more delicious Russian cuisine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Russian GemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2013I love russian food after having travelled there so this was a great find. The location is not ideal for the type of restaurant they are trying to create here. There is absolutely no clue that there is a fine restaurant behind the deli. I consider that an an advantage because it is nowhere near as crowded as one would expect for a gem like this. They need more business and I hope they can continue to attract more people interested in authentic russian dishes. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/10/2013This place is great. Family run, very very friendly. Wonderful service, and phenomenal food. We all had traditional Russian dishes, from stuffed cabbage, to plov to Chicken Kiev. Everything was really really good. The father and sons combo that run the place are wonderful. Pappa is a classic Russian, sort of gruff when you first meet him, but a wonderful restauranteur who is solicitous and is watching to make sure that you have a good experience. The chef is his son and he is excellent. I think one of the waiters was also one of his sons as well. We will be back again for both the great food and the warm family experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to love it, but average.David94597Dined on 8/8/2013Food was decent, but overpriced. The cabbage rolls were salty and the beet salad was good, but expensive. Basically you got four spoonfuls of salad that you could buy in a container in their deli on the way out.
- A Real TreasureOpenTableDinerSince2005Dined on 7/20/2013We found Babushka by accident but will be back again and again with a purpose: To enjoy the wonderful food, fantastic service and charming environment.Special Features:
- an unexpected findOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/7/2013This is a very small familty restaurant with an interesting and authentic russian and eastern european menu This is food that we do not often get in the suburbs and it is a welcome addtion. The restaurant sits behind a deli and it is well hidden. The best way to find it is to go into the delii. The food was very tasty although we sampled only a soup and salad and one entree. I look forward to trying the rest of the menu. teh service was good if a lttle too intrusive. the one negative is the almost complete lack of a wine list. they offered some very sweet eastern european wines that were just barely passable. If you come BYOW. They charge a modest $10 for corkageSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchFangDined on 5/12/2013The food at this restaurant was extremely good, and I recommend it for that reason. The dishes were imaginative, unusual and prepared well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little placemdcheapVIPDined on 5/11/2013Who would expect a very good restaurant in a strip mall in Walnut Creek? This teeny place absolutely wowed us with its wonderful Russian menu. We had the Russian antipasto platter, the Plov (lamb w/rice) and the stuffed cabbage rolls...all very delicious and enough to make a grandmother proud! This is a definite MUST try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Eastern European CuisineIlovesteakDined on 5/3/2013We went to dinner here and after we got over the peculiar decor, we enjoyed every item we ordered. One dish that my grandma used to make was even better than hers...sorry gram. Service was very good. The owner is always helping and makes you feel very welcome.I would recommend this to a friend.