110 Waverly Place
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://babbonyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 777-0303
- Hours of Operation:
Open seven days a week, lunch is Tuesday through Saturday 11:30am - 2pm, dinner is every night. Monday to Saturday the bar opens at 5pm, dinner service starts at 5:30pm, last reservations 11:15pm. On Sundays the bar opens at 4:30pm, dinner service begins at 5pm and the last reservations are at 10:45pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Mario Batali
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Cross Street: Between 6th Avenue and MacDougal Street
- Public Transit: West 4th street subway station (8th street/Waverly Place exit): A,C,E,B,D,F and M trains. We recommend traveling at the back of the train if coming from uptown, the front of the train if coming from downtown, to find the closest exit at the station.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking in front of the restaurant is available after 6pm. The nearest garage is GMC, between Fifth Avenue and MacDougal Street and can be entered via Eighth Street or Waverly Place.
A word from Babbo Ristorante
Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich's flagship restaurant, located on Waverly Place in Greenwich Village, opened to great acclaim in 1998 and is as bustling and popular as ever. It offers three-star dining that redefines and reinvents the principles of Italian cuisine for 21st century America. An epic, landmark wine list, an exciting, quintessentially New York dining room and expert, attentive and cordial service make a table at Babbo one of New York’s prized possessions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Babbo Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
350 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (223)special occasion (208)notable wine list (166)romantic (135)neighborhood gem (118)hot spot (81)great for lunch (63)late-night find (29)vibrant bar scene (28)good for groups (23)great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (10)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Butter/Olive oil/CheeseOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 11/18/2014I could easily have made my dinner at home in ten minutes. It had nothing special. I thought Kanye West was singing at our table! it was that loud. Over all it was not the dining experience we had hoped for.
- Amazing....MiggyVIPDined on 11/18/2014My husband and I haven't enjoyed eating out so much in a long time. You know you've found a good restaurant when you can say "this rabbit smells like my grandmother's kitchen." Everything, from appetizer to dessert was absolutely fantastic. You MUST get the Pistachio Chocolate Semifreddo...good lord. I don't even love ice cream and I'm still dreaming about it. The only thing that was a tiny bit awkward was the seating. The room is very narrow so I actually had to sit next to my husband, which was strange at first but you completely forget about it when you're eating because the food is so good it doesn't matter. Although, that type of seating can be "romantic" too :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great italian dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2014Dinner with wife in NYC, great. Good location and ambience. Excellent italian food, no mistakes. Good music; however, I would expect more soft, latin (italian, Brazilian) and jazz. It's worth the effort to make a reservation for visiting NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful dinnerAngieDined on 11/14/2014I enjoyed a beautiful meal here. The food was extraordinary and was the best Italian food that I have enjoyed in a long time. I didn't find the staff very warm and friendly but I could not fault them on their knowledge of the menu and assisting me to make a fantastic choice for dinner both with food and wine. All in all, this restaurant is a beautiful dining experience and definitely worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Expected MoreOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/14/2014My husband and I have been fans of Mario Batali's food for years, we have his cookbooks and have made countless fish, meats, vegetables, and desserts. We were at Babbo and were disappointed with the staff (curt), atmosphere (scruffy and tattered interior) and food. I had the guniea hen which consisted of mostly skin and charred. My husband had the veal breast, again minuscule. Mario might raise the price of the entrees and give his customers a real taste. For a well-known chef, this was poor!
- Wonderful N.Y.City lunchShawneeDined on 11/13/2014My daughter and I enjoyed a wonderful lunch with Joe as our waiter. We even had recipes explained...we cook at home alot. Could have used some gluten free bread for Holly, daughter. Thanks, Marilyn and HollySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing special.CarissimaVIPDined on 11/12/2014After ten years, I finally got around to visiting Babbo, for lunch since I could never get a decent seating for dinner. The space was nicely lit and I liked the larger place setting for two persons. Music was nice - not the head banger stuff mentioned in previous reviews. The food was good but not transportative. Crostini with ricotta and sardines very nice. Arugula salad ok. Beef cheek ravioli quite nice. Bucatini all'amitriciana was not as good as I've had elsewhere - the sauce did not show off the pasta (which was the slightest bit overdone) to its full effect. Nice wine and the tab was reasonable. An enjoyable 2 hours, but I was expecting to be enchanted. Didn't happen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unpleasant and overrated!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2014You have all these managers circling in suits, waiters rushing around - all with no smile on their faces make guests feel so unwanted in the restaurant. A very unpleasant dining experience! Food was decent but absolutely no wow factor. Overrated for sure!
- Strange Musicused2BfanVIPDined on 11/11/2014the food , service were impeccable, however the music ran thru elton john, aerosmith, john cougar mellencamp and lots of hard rock, all full albums . This seemed to take away from the otherwise italian ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wine selectiongusleigDined on 11/11/2014Babbo is one of those restaurants you can´t find any mistake. Everything on the menu is great and wine suggestions are also superb. Not to mention that the prices are very affordable for NY. Maybe it´s hard to book a table but if you pick a late lunch or dinner, then it could be very easy.Special Features:
- To Babbo or not to BabboOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/10/2014While the restaurant remains a tourist destination, it is no longer the gastronome experience we remember from past occasions. The tasting menu has not changed from previous visits, offering no surprises and overemphasizing desserts while lacking a fish and/or seafood course. The service was somewhat rushed. We had just finished our meal when the bill was delivered without being requested! Hardly appropriate for a fine dining establishment.
- best italian in the USAOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014loved it! homemade pasta and dishes just like nonna makes :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticogenesDined on 11/8/2014It's worth the effort to make a reservation. The pasta is spectacular. They prepare things you can usually only get at home. I love the tripe!Special Features:
- 50th Anniversary Celebrationhgv631130Dined on 11/6/2014We booked to celebrate my wife's 50th Anniversary with our son and daughter, service, food and ambiance were perfect for the occasion. The Wine List is very complete for Italian wines, we were able to select "Vino Nobile de Montepulciano" which is hard in general, this was a plus since we have good memories of a trip in which we were introduced to that wine in particularSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MIchVIPDined on 11/5/2014Heavy metal music played while we ate. Very weird. Food was good but not great. Expected more.Special Features:
- Always a great experienceJackAMGVIPDined on 11/5/2014We are global foodies - and Babbo is a must for people like us. We love the innovation of a "pasta tasting" menu. . and the consistent execution!Special Features:
- WaitingGhbittencourtDined on 11/4/2014We've reservation for the 22:30, although we will be seated at 23:10 at least. Long waiting period!!!Special Features:
- Good LunchJANNYCDined on 11/4/2014We have been here many times but always for dinner. For lunch you cannot sit upstairs which is very pretty, but only downstairs , which is kind of dark and a bit loud with nice (but loud) music. The food was good except for my grilled Octopus, which was hard. The other dishes were arugula salad, beef cheek ravioli, scallops and beet salad. Very small portions but for us we prefer that, especially for lunch. Don't know if people ordering say only the ravioli would have enough. Staff very nice Would go back again, but for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Fabulous!GoodfoodDined on 11/3/2014This is the 2nd time I have eaten at Babbo and it never disappoints. Service was exceptional and food amazing!Special Features:
- Dinner date with my wifeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014We had very high expectations, specially given the fact that it's very hard to get a spot for two, and that it is one off the famous spots in the city. The two antipasti dishes we had was very bad one was returned to the kitchen and one we eat but it was really not an inspiring dish nor something you expect from such a resturant. The two mains were very good and the desert was ok but again expected much more from a place like this.Special Features:
- NYC Yale tripSusanGS1Dined on 11/1/2014Fabulous, fabulous food! We appreciated their moving us upstairs as initially the host sat us at a table right beside the kitchen door and under the stairs!Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceMCleeDined on 11/1/2014Dining room is very nice with a comfortable couch. My dishes Beef and dumpling were delicious and cocktail is also nice. Staff also friendly to customers.Special Features:
- great foodmashkaDined on 10/31/2014We returned to Babbo after 10 year hiatus. The food is still excellent in spite of other reviews that we read. However desserts unfortunately are underwhelming.Special Features:
- In need of friendlier wait staff!AdventurersDined on 10/31/2014My daughter and I went to Babbo for a special evening out. We were struck right away by the beautiful ambience. The Maitre-D was very congenial. I was disappointed, however, by our waiter. He was not very good at explaining food items especially to my 10 year old daughter. We navigated the menu on our own, and then asked for some assistance. The waiter provided us with some curt answers, but it was hard to understand him as he spoke very quickly and then hurried away. That being said, we ordered our food and enjoyed it. We found the Maitre-D extremely pleasant and many of the other servers seemed nice as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, But Below Expectationsgoalee111Dined on 10/30/2014We tried Babbo for a special anniversary, having tried many times before. Ambiance is wonderful, service spectacular. Dinner, while nice, didn't fully meet expectations, as the pasta didn't seem up to Batali reputation. Sauces seem to lack depth, especially Bolognese. The semifreddo dessert was absolutely divine.Special Features:
- Overall goodRex18Dined on 10/30/2014good experience overall. Just not what I expected. The roasted beet with ricotta didn't come with ricotta. Food did taste good, but it didn't stand out above the others. Try it if you must fulfill that desire, but I've had my fill.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/29/2014Outstanding dining experience! Strangely pretentious service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They turned it roundHeatherDined on 10/28/2014Our 9.30 reservation confirmed several times was not ready until after 10 which was a shame as it was my husbands 60th birthday surprise. But 2 complimentary proseccos took the edge off and an extra delicious complimentary starter went beyond the expected. Very helpful and friendly sommelier helped with the fabulous list of Italian wines and all food was exceptional. Glad that greed persuaded us to have a dessert as the saffron pannacotta was divine but so was everything else. Enjoyed the music as well as so much restaurant music is old and sentimental. Would love to revisitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingase1707VIPDined on 10/28/2014I know that Babbo is Mario Batali's flagship restaurant and when I entered the restaurant I saw a crowded space with a scene at the bar that was overcrowded and busy, and yet ... the management does an amazing job. My wife and I were quickly seated upstairs and a waiter appeared almost at once to take our water order as well as our drinks. He allowed us as much time as we wanted to enjoy our cocktails, and when we were ready to order, he appeared and was very helpful with the menu. The food was delicious, the presentation was perfect and the restaurant did an amazingly efficient job of delivering the wonderful dishes. We loved our meal and will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at BabboPeterDined on 10/25/2014We had lunch at Babbo last Saturday. My own entree was pretty good, Guinea Hen, and my appetizer was fine too (ravioli with black truffles). My wife's dishes, though, were quite disappointing. Her appetizer was too small to be a real Buffalo Mozzarella (my wife regularly goes to Northern Italy and has some each time). Her entree, linguine with clams, was tasteless and without any sauce. Moreover, the wine list by the glass is very expensive, with an average price of more than 20 $. I had to settle for the cheapest one (at 16 $!), a Dolcetto d'Aba that was mediocre (too much acidity). Overall, we were not really impressed by this experience.Special Features:
- Go for the pastaOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/24/2014Had always wanted to go and finally made some lunch reservations to celebrate my wife's birthday. We had the lunch tasting menu, $49 for a four-courses, and definitely worth it. The appetizer, roasted cauliflower with charred onions, was very good, I would even say excellent, but never could get fully excited about salad. The primi was a pasta, pappardelle, which I would say was the highlight of the meal. That was followed by grilled pork, perfectly grilled and very good. The dessert, olive oil cake with gelato, though original and interest was good, but would say wasn't the most memorable part of the meal. Not sure it lives up to the hype, but most things in life don't tend to anyway. Overall, I'd say it's worth a trip.Special Features:
- Huge disappointmentOrindaVIPDined on 10/22/2014The bread was stale, the pasta was cold, the arugula in the salad looked and tasted like it had just been dumped from a Whole Foods bag. Brussels sprouts were over cooked, limp, reheated. The braised beef with polenta was also cold and really under seasoned. Our server was well intentioned but inept; the host was rude. Yikes. Never again.
- DisappointingLindslee47VIPDined on 10/22/2014Have wanted to go here for years. The food was mediocre. Not impressed. The best thing were the desserts. Won't be returning.
- DisappointingChiefDined on 10/22/2014I was very much looking forward to dining in this restaurant. The food was indeed excellent, BUT the service was very stuffy and rushed. We were given no time at all to enjoy our pre dinner drinks; we were asked four times if we wanted to order and finally agreed to go ahead, but the food was then there in 5 minutes. We could have been in the restaurant for a total of 30 minutes, if we had followed the cues of the wait staff. It felt very rushed; we felt very pressured to get out of the restaurant!Special Features:
- Most Enjoyable!fullbelliesDined on 10/21/2014Since we were in the process of eating our way around New York in 6 days we were very happy to get a reservation at Babbo. We would have preferred evening but a late lunch turned out even better since we had a 7pm show. Each of our party of four chose something different and all were extremely satisfied. We shared the olive oil and gelato dessert a perfect ending. Also bought an autographed cookbook on the way out, will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BabboOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014Just delicious! The food oh my! the food was incredible and the bill was too, we couldn´t belive it wasn´t too expensive.Special Features:
- BetoDined on 10/20/2014as previous opportunities, food and wines were extraordinaries! My only recommendation is: tray to change a bit your heavy rock music but especially, it's to high volume.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's our favoriteTmcgetrick67Dined on 10/19/2014My husband and I go to Babbo every time we go to NYC. This year we stayed with family in Brooklyn and brought them! As expected, they loved it also! The pastas are deliciously fresh!! I had the pumpkin lune - which melted in my mouth. I followed the pasta with the branzino - which was light and superb. My husband wanted to try something different and thoroughly enjoyed the rabbit. We had two bottles of the La Mozza off their extensive wine list and a lot of fun! The restaurant is unpretentious but can definitely be a place for special occasions. Although we enjoyed the intimacy of a table this time, my husband and I have eaten at the bar in the past and enjoyed our time doing that also! The service is excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerDiscerningDinerDined on 10/18/2014We were seated upstairs at a table for two (only was able to get a 5:30 reservation even though I booked it exactly a month in advance-not much availability for only two people.) The food was okay - nothing that matched the hype. The octopus appetizer was the only food we ordered which was outstanding. One thing the restaurant should take note of - every time the air conditioning went on, the air was filled with the strong smell of a room deodorizer and it filled our senses so that we were actually tasting it - which might be why none of the food tasted outstanding. I mentioned it to our server and he said he would tell the floor manager but it continued throughout our dinner. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Incredible food, which is not surprising, but it was everything I would have hoped for. Also, we were able to make reservations just a few days in advance, which is not always possible, and which was really nice.Special Features: