110 Waverly Place
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://babbonyc.com/
- Phone: 2127770303
- Hours of Operation:
Open seven days a week, lunch is Tuesday through Saturday 11:30am - 2pm, dinner is every night. Monday to Saturday the bar opens at 5pm, dinner service starts at 5:30pm, last reservations 11:15pm. On Sundays the bar opens at 4:30pm, dinner service begins at 5pm and the last reservations are at 10:45pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Mario Batali
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Cross Street: Between 6th Avenue and MacDougal Street
- Public Transit: West 4th street subway station (8th street/Waverly Place exit): A,C,E,B,D,F and M trains. We recommend traveling at the back of the train if coming from uptown, the front of the train if coming from downtown, to find the closest exit at the station.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking in front of the restaurant is available after 6pm. The nearest garage is GMC, between Fifth Avenue and MacDougal Street and can be entered via Eighth Street or Waverly Place.
A word from Babbo Ristorante
Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich's flagship restaurant, located on Waverly Place in Greenwich Village, opened to great acclaim in 1998 and is as bustling and popular as ever. It offers three-star dining that redefines and reinvents the principles of Italian cuisine for 21st century America. An epic, landmark wine list, an exciting, quintessentially New York dining room and expert, attentive and cordial service make a table at Babbo one of New York’s prized possessions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Babbo Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
374 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (245)special occasion (226)notable wine list (191)romantic (147)neighborhood gem (126)hot spot (87)great for lunch (68)vibrant bar scene (34)late-night find (30)good for groups (29)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Lunch at BabboPeterDined on 10/25/2014We had lunch at Babbo last Saturday. My own entree was pretty good, Guinea Hen, and my appetizer was fine too (ravioli with black truffles). My wife's dishes, though, were quite disappointing. Her appetizer was too small to be a real Buffalo Mozzarella (my wife regularly goes to Northern Italy and has some each time). Her entree, linguine with clams, was tasteless and without any sauce. Moreover, the wine list by the glass is very expensive, with an average price of more than 20 $. I had to settle for the cheapest one (at 16 $!), a Dolcetto d'Aba that was mediocre (too much acidity). Overall, we were not really impressed by this experience.Special Features:
- Go for the pastaOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/24/2014Had always wanted to go and finally made some lunch reservations to celebrate my wife's birthday. We had the lunch tasting menu, $49 for a four-courses, and definitely worth it. The appetizer, roasted cauliflower with charred onions, was very good, I would even say excellent, but never could get fully excited about salad. The primi was a pasta, pappardelle, which I would say was the highlight of the meal. That was followed by grilled pork, perfectly grilled and very good. The dessert, olive oil cake with gelato, though original and interest was good, but would say wasn't the most memorable part of the meal. Not sure it lives up to the hype, but most things in life don't tend to anyway. Overall, I'd say it's worth a trip.Special Features:
- Huge disappointmentOrindaVIPDined on 10/22/2014The bread was stale, the pasta was cold, the arugula in the salad looked and tasted like it had just been dumped from a Whole Foods bag. Brussels sprouts were over cooked, limp, reheated. The braised beef with polenta was also cold and really under seasoned. Our server was well intentioned but inept; the host was rude. Yikes. Never again.
- DisappointingLindslee47VIPDined on 10/22/2014Have wanted to go here for years. The food was mediocre. Not impressed. The best thing were the desserts. Won't be returning.
- DisappointingChiefDined on 10/22/2014I was very much looking forward to dining in this restaurant. The food was indeed excellent, BUT the service was very stuffy and rushed. We were given no time at all to enjoy our pre dinner drinks; we were asked four times if we wanted to order and finally agreed to go ahead, but the food was then there in 5 minutes. We could have been in the restaurant for a total of 30 minutes, if we had followed the cues of the wait staff. It felt very rushed; we felt very pressured to get out of the restaurant!Special Features:
- Most Enjoyable!fullbelliesDined on 10/21/2014Since we were in the process of eating our way around New York in 6 days we were very happy to get a reservation at Babbo. We would have preferred evening but a late lunch turned out even better since we had a 7pm show. Each of our party of four chose something different and all were extremely satisfied. We shared the olive oil and gelato dessert a perfect ending. Also bought an autographed cookbook on the way out, will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BabboOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014Just delicious! The food oh my! the food was incredible and the bill was too, we couldn´t belive it wasn´t too expensive.Special Features:
- BetoDined on 10/20/2014as previous opportunities, food and wines were extraordinaries! My only recommendation is: tray to change a bit your heavy rock music but especially, it's to high volume.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's our favoriteTmcgetrick67Dined on 10/19/2014My husband and I go to Babbo every time we go to NYC. This year we stayed with family in Brooklyn and brought them! As expected, they loved it also! The pastas are deliciously fresh!! I had the pumpkin lune - which melted in my mouth. I followed the pasta with the branzino - which was light and superb. My husband wanted to try something different and thoroughly enjoyed the rabbit. We had two bottles of the La Mozza off their extensive wine list and a lot of fun! The restaurant is unpretentious but can definitely be a place for special occasions. Although we enjoyed the intimacy of a table this time, my husband and I have eaten at the bar in the past and enjoyed our time doing that also! The service is excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Incredible food, which is not surprising, but it was everything I would have hoped for. Also, we were able to make reservations just a few days in advance, which is not always possible, and which was really nice.Special Features:
- Bit DisappointingNYCEntertainmentLawyerDined on 10/14/2014Love this restaurant, crave the food, but honestly can do without the poor reservation management. Booked dinner for anniversary and included note to that effect. Arrived on time for my reservation and ended up getting knocked around in over-crowed bar 25 minutes before being seated. No mention of anniversary. Kind of a let down for one of my favs.Special Features:
- Vibrant restaurantJasatmDined on 10/14/2014Wonderful place, great vibe to it. The service was very good. The food was excellent, their pasta was amazing! The bread was not great it was soggy. Their wine collection is really good. Will definetly go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Babbo's Reputation Precedes ItselfTomboDined on 10/14/2014Mario Batali's flagship restaurant in the heart of Greenwich Village provides a dining experience like no other. We had a terrific dinner with excellent service! If you are considering making a reservation at Babbo's, be sure to do so ahead of time (two weeks). It will be well worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dining pleasureWinkerDined on 10/13/2014This restaurant was recommended by friends. We had reservations for 9 pm on a Tuesday night and the place was packed. We were promptly seated and attended to extremely well by the serving team. The wine steward explained a few choices of wine to go with our dinner which helped greatly. Food was superb and each course was explained to us by the waiter. While dining they were unobtrusive, which made the entire evening very enjoyable. Noise level was up there, but it was only because of the other diners socializing; they music was kept nice and low as a background and not a distraction. Now if they'd only enforce the no blue jeans policy... and the location in Greenwich Village is ideal.Special Features:
- okay food, nice ambiancesar8Dined on 10/11/2014was excited to try this restaurant, but was not overly impressed with the food. tasted like typical italian food you could make at home.Special Features:
- MichhesselDined on 10/10/2014Dinner at Babbo was really disapointing. Because it is supposed to be NYCs best italian restaurant we were expecting great food, and it was nothing but fairly OK. Probably won't come back.Special Features:
- SfsnobVIPDined on 10/9/2014We ordered 5 dishes between the two of us but unfortunately one was more disappointing than the other except for the octopus. The mozzarella cheese and what tasted like parsley moosh was extremely tasteless, the mushroom filled crepe with shaved cabbage on the top had a bitter aftertaste and lacked a sauce to bind everything together. My rabbit was fairly dry but the ravioli was acceptable. Overall we went to Babbo with very high expectations but were unfortunately disappointed. Except for our waitress the rest of the staff were not very friendly and we felt very rushed. Too bad, I really wanted to like this restaurant.
- mamananDined on 10/8/2014Wonderful food. Wonderful service. Just love this place!Special Features:
- JustgoodfoodDined on 10/7/2014Deeply disappointing. Food was stale and tasteless. We had to return several dishes. Calamari was dry and tasteless. Meat was boring. Bread was old. The only thing that was first class was the prices...
- Just excellent!VanessaVIPDined on 10/6/2014Wine list is fab, service was great, food was amazing!! Great for a romantic dinner or if you just want a fabulous meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulkonasueVIPDined on 10/6/2014Wonderful dinner, the staff was amazing as was the food!!Special Features:
- Great dining experienceruffemDined on 10/6/2014This is not a place one would go often on a normal budget, but the food and service were both outstanding, making it the perfect special occasion destination. Highly recommend the squid ink pasta. Service was relaxed but impeccable. Wine selection were stellar.Special Features:
- Out of TownerRJGJRDined on 10/5/2014Food was spectacular. Had the traditional tasting menu coupled with a bottle of red and white. The Sommelier was excellent. The waiter was a little off which was the only reason I rated it as very good vs. excellent.Special Features:
- Best pastaepicuriousDined on 10/5/2014Best Italian dinner experience! The black Spaghetti was something else!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodplatinum2014Dined on 10/2/2014Not easy to find the same level of food even in Italy, a country where I visited more than 30 timesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and DisappointingHungryGuyDined on 10/2/2014I was expecting more from Mario Batalli's restaurants. Although the food was high quality, it was expensive and did not taste good. Service and atmosphere were great however.Special Features:
- Classic NYCMDMODined on 9/30/2014A close friend was in town for a few days and so we always try and go somewhere special to meet. The old Italian feel of Babbo, coupled with Louis Armstrong singing away was the perfect way to set the scene for a true New York moment. And of course, the food stands up to the mood. Babbo's lunch tasting menu did not disappoint. Not only was the food and service excellent, the wine pairing tastings was only and additional $35 and a chance to taste many excellent wines. All around excellent cuisine, beautiful place and great ambiance. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but so much noiseNoelGDined on 9/29/2014Booked this restaurant one month in advance and got a table (20 mins late) near the bar where the noise level was incredible. Music was definitely too loud. There were tables on a upper level, which I guess are quieter. They should give those tables to people who reserve THAT early. Food and service were really good, though. Price was fine, too.Special Features:
- Great for the adventurousSwagDined on 9/28/2014I am a repeat customer at this spot. Some dishes include sardines, pigs feet, brains, squab liver purée, beef cheek. Prices are on the higher end. Buuuuut I never had such amazing sardines, or squab liver, etc. def worth it. Hard to get a reservation for a reason.Special Features:
- All fantasticLululuDined on 9/26/2014My second time at Babbo and have no complaints about anything. Very delicious food and wine. Ambiance is nice and romantic. Service is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Total PackagemoelasalleDined on 9/25/2014My husband and I went to Babbo, to celebrate our anniversary...16 years ago we had one of our first dates at Mario Batali's restaurant Po, and we were not disappointed this time either!! The food was beautiful and delicious and the service was outstanding! From the greeting by the Host(& his staff) to the wait staff(George and Susan) and the bus staff(Cristina). We both agree the Grilled Octopus with “Borlotti Marinati” and Spicy Limoncello Vinaigrette was our favorite dish! It was outstanding! Can't wait to return to NYC and try another Batali restaurant.Special Features:
- Authentic. Timeless Excellent foodCookieDined on 9/23/2014Best Italian in Manhattan Eat at the bar Food is excellent. Authentic perfectly done. Ken at the bar was brilliant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always interestingTinaDined on 9/23/2014My meal was lovely, my companion was a bit disappointed in her entree. Not bad, mind you, but not exceptional. The desserts were fabulous. Service was very good, but lacked that special timing instinct which makes it great. We dined upstairs, so there is very little in the way of ambience, but at least we could have a conversation, which was our choice. downstairs is quite beautiful, and would get another star for ambience.Special Features:
- dont expect muchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/22/2014Booked one month in advance, and it was nor easy. After booking online you have to call the restaurant to confirm the reservation. All this, plus zagat madee think about a special place. But 1st of all, they dont respect much the reservatiln. I waited on my feet half an hour after our time. Food was very regular ams does not justic fsg.Special Features:
- Best food I have had in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/22/2014I'm surprised I haven't eaten here before. What an amazing restaurant! The food, the service, the location all terrific! Eat here! Prices are what you can expect for a fine dining restaurantSpecial Features:
- Excellent all aroundchefcatbirdDined on 9/21/2014I ate at several excellent restaurants while visiting NYC and this was the best, especially for the value. It was as good as a couple of Michelin starred restaurants I ate at, and only about 2/3rds the cost. The food was excellent and the service was very attentive, friendly and unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soMidnight2014VIPDined on 9/20/2014While the food was tasty, it was served luke warm and our many servers didn't seem interested in serving. One rolled his eyes when I asked for cutlery. We went for lunch (to treat a couple of friends to celebrate their recent wedding) but my dinner there a couple of years ago was far more memorable. It was just OK.
- DeliciousbirthdaygirlDined on 9/20/2014Food was delicious and service was great. The staff were really attentive throughout the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Babbo never disappoints. Amazing food, knowledgeable and friendly service and wonderful ambience. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentbabboDined on 9/18/2014Third time at babbo.always good service and great wine pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.