110 Waverly Place
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://babbonyc.com/
- Phone: 2127770303
- Hours of Operation:
Open seven days a week, lunch is Tuesday through Saturday 11:30am - 2pm, dinner is every night. Monday to Saturday the bar opens at 5pm, dinner service starts at 5:30pm, last reservations 11:15pm. On Sundays the bar opens at 4:30pm, dinner service begins at 5pm and the last reservations are at 10:45pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Mario Batali
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Cross Street: Between 6th Avenue and MacDougal Street
- Public Transit: West 4th street subway station (8th street/Waverly Place exit): A,C,E,B,D,F and M trains. We recommend traveling at the back of the train if coming from uptown, the front of the train if coming from downtown, to find the closest exit at the station.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking in front of the restaurant is available after 6pm. The nearest garage is GMC, between Fifth Avenue and MacDougal Street and can be entered via Eighth Street or Waverly Place.
A word from Babbo Ristorante
Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich's flagship restaurant, located on Waverly Place in Greenwich Village, opened to great acclaim in 1998 and is as bustling and popular as ever. It offers three-star dining that redefines and reinvents the principles of Italian cuisine for 21st century America. An epic, landmark wine list, an exciting, quintessentially New York dining room and expert, attentive and cordial service make a table at Babbo one of New York’s prized possessions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Babbo Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
382 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (233)special occasion (226)notable wine list (202)romantic (165)neighborhood gem (108)hot spot (81)great for lunch (57)vibrant bar scene (34)good for groups (26)late-night find (24)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- Food Flavors & textures galoreRickchen007Dined on 8/28/2014Best Grilled Octopus! Texture was soft & almost creamy insider with grilled exterior with amazing flavors. Apparently secret is tenderizing when boiling/braising with wine corks.Wife & I split Beef Cheek Ravioli and the squab liver & black truffles sauce was umami. Also had Gnocchi w/braised oxtail which was good. For secondi, we had the Grilled Pork Chop (excellent) & Barbecued Squab (terrific). Our server was extremely knowledgeable, made great recommendations with seamless service almost stealth like with perfect timing from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014Food was good however, we felt as though our entire dinner was being rushed so the place could turn the table. Having spent and ordered a large $ of food and drink I absolutely do not appreciate that.Special Features:
- Babbo tourist treatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014Tired physical plant takes nothing from the 5star food and service experience. Low priced menu for the quality of the food means mario just wishes to fill up the joint with low prices and serve out his sweetheart 20 year lease term. If ripped tee shirts are your favorite dinner companions you'll love the vibe. Best food value in the U.S. for sure. But there's more to food than food.Special Features:
- OK, not great.RichardHVIPDined on 8/25/2014After all the build up to the actual dinner, Babbo was a let down. We went with the expectation of a fantastic experience and meal based upon the difficulty in getting a reservation at a decent time and how full the restaurant was when we dropped in passing a week earlier. Food was OK, but not great and the service was very on and off. We felt ignored and when our waiter did arrive, our menu questions where answered very impatiently. Maybe the problem was having the Del Posto experience prior to eating here. Esca provided a much better experience for a similar price. I would recommend the restaurant for a larger group (we were 3) as the service seemed to be more attentive to the group than to our party.Special Features:
- Everything we expected and moreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014The food was off-the wall insanely good and the portions were generous. My wife and I could barely finish all we ordered, and we're big eaters! I'd recommend the BBQ octopus, black spaghetti and sweet breads. The service was quintessential fine dining service as well. Our server, Cameron, was ideal and helped guide us through the menu, which I'll admit could be overwhelming at first. If your a fan of what Joe Bastianich does or just obsessed with Mario Batali and his signature orange flair (even the steak knife was orange) then you should not miss out on Babbo. This meal would have been worth out trip to New York alone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/24/2014My husband, parents, and I were lucky enough to get a last minute reservation at Babbo on Sunday night. We collectively agreed that it is one of the best restaurants we have ever been to. We are all born and raised New Yorkers and have been to the top restaurants in the city. Babbo was simply fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!PestoQueenVIPDined on 8/24/2014Always a pleasure to dine at this wonderful established restaurant! Never a disappointment. Try to come here to celebrate my birthday every year. The wine list is tops and the service even better. Had the gnocchi with the oxtail ragu that wowed me! Thoughtful and caring staff. Will be back, even if I do drive 80 miles to get there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okay.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014too much brining. Some of the food was too salty. The meal was good not outstanding. Portions were small Ex. sweetbreads as well as the sea scallops(3) could have been larger portions. Service was good. The meal was nice not memorable.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/23/2014Two of the four entrees at our table were served cold, but the pasta dishes were very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really goodMonicacolegioVIPDined on 8/23/2014We went there to know because a friend recommended, and it is really good, the food was amazing.Special Features:
- LunchJazzyDined on 8/23/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Babbo's. The white bean and calamari and the spaghetti bolognese were awesome! The only glitch was that the server forgot to give us olive oil with our bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingNYIAHDined on 8/22/2014As a longtime New Yorker, I've been to many "hot" spots but Babbo has been on my list for years. I can't believe what I've missed. Amazing and out of this world. Truly special and unforgettable. Highly recommend the vegetarian pasta tasting menu, even for non-vegetarians like myself.Special Features:
- ExcellentMikeCDined on 8/22/2014We went there for lunch for our wedding anniversary. We had the halibut and it was oustanding. Service was a little slow, but not a problem since we were not in a hurry.Special Features:
- Only wonderfuldeborahDined on 8/20/2014My favorite restaurant in NYC. The only problem is finding anything comparable in other cities. Pretty much the pinnacle of Italian fare as far as I'm concerned.Special Features:
- A day in NYpattytDined on 8/20/2014Babbo was an exceptional dining experience. I took some of my fellow workers there as a treat and it was a delight. The service was seamless, the food delicious. I asked our waiter to select a wine for us and was impressed that he chose not the most expensive, but a really good one at a fair price. Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnimpressedNewCityReviewDined on 8/16/2014I ordered the vegetarian pasta tasting and only enjoyed one of the pasta dishes. The gnocchi lacked flavor and the sauce was watery. I felt I could have prepared better dishes at home. Even the dessert fell short...the chocolate pistachio was too decadent, the olive oil Cake was dry, and the ice cream with blueberry topping was just "ok". The service was great...very attentive. I expected more from the food, especially given the price. Batali's "Eataly" is less costly, but more tasty.Special Features:
- Fine Quality, small portionsBigTipperDined on 8/16/2014We had lunch there with 5 adults and one child. With salads, and main courses and 2-bottles of wine the bill was about $450.00, with almost half of it for the wine. Not bad. We were seated promptly and had fine service. I gave only 4-stars because of the tiny portions. It's plain and showing it's age a bit, when compared to newer restaurant decor. The place could use a freshening up. Still, the food is first rate.Special Features:
- SwedishtouristDined on 8/15/2014My last visit at Babbo was more than 10 years ago. It was nice to learn that this restaurant still delivers a great experience, both in terms of food and excellent service. Good recommendations to select the right wines and fantastic desserts. The surprise antipasti, ceci bruschettas, offered by the restaurant was also a nice gesture. We had a very enjoyable evening and I hope I will be able to return to Babbo again in the future. Happy to recommend this restaurant to any of my friends in Sweden.Special Features:
- Consistently exceeds expectationsGretarayDined on 8/15/2014Every time I visit New York I try to get a reservation at Babbo. As usual the service was impeccable, the wine fantastic and the food creative and outstanding.Special Features:
- Good service. Good FoodRenatoDined on 8/14/2014Food is good but not astonishing. Satisfied overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Meal! Would Return!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2014Had my first experience at Babbo in August 2014. My group of 4 had travelled from Newfoundland, Canada to spend some time in New York City and Babbo was on our list of restaurants to try. The four of us all had the traditional tasting menu. I would recommend the tasting menu as the variety allows one to sample a wide range of the chef's talents. My only suggestion would be to increase the protein size of the main entree. The hanger steak was terribly small. Delicious, but not enough. Wait staff was fantastic. Constantly filling water, offering bread, cleaning the table and replacing utensils. Top notch service. The restaurant was loud. We were seated from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM and conversation was a little difficult due to the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FIrst time here, no disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/13/2014Chick place ina quite neighborhood. dish well-flavored. dessert was great. will definitely come back.Special Features:
- so sad.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/12/2014Honestly, I ate at Babbo several months ago - and absolutely LOVED it. This time around, the food was fine - other than the special pasta, all else was not off the charts (octopus and calamari were chewy, bolonengse was too sweet and tasted like it was out of a jar, the pasta with the three mushrooms greasy, and the desserts tasted frozen). However, the most disappointing part of all was the service. The servers rushed us, and forgot several things: bread, olive oil, a fork (we had to ask 3x), and sambuca to accompany coffee. I'm a new yorker, but this place made me feel like i was under appreciated, or even like it was a tourist trap. Such a shame, cause I thoroughly enjoyed my previous experience at Babbo.
- Not impressedJAWNPSVIPDined on 8/12/2014Perhaps it's my fault for expecting greatness from a Mario Batali restaurant. My friend mentioned the noteworthy service and fantastic food. Sadly I didn't experience either. The food was very good but I wasn't blown away and have had much better Italian food in DC (my hometown). The service was inattentive, and I had to ask for butter a couple of times for the bread. And the bartender was snooty. For over $100 for 2 for lunch, I was expecting more.
- FantasticoAlessandroDined on 8/10/2014Sicuramente il migliore ristorante che abbia trovato in New York in 20 anni che visito questa città. Personale fantastico. Servizio impeccabile Carta dei vini invidiabile. Cibo ottimoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, long waitsnyatlargeVIPDined on 8/10/2014We had to wait 25 minutes for a table despite having a reservation. Then another hour for the pasta to arrive. The food was excellent, but the feeling was ruined by all the waiting.Special Features:
- Excellent lunch!MTLMDined on 8/9/2014We had a terrific lunch on Saturday. I had the garganelli and my husband had the pork chop.Loved both and the bread too! Look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not as good as hypedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014The food was good. A few duishes were very good. Dessert was great. But this restaurant is overpriced and over-hyped. It's got good food but not for $125/person.Special Features:
- A special treatTaxidodgerDined on 8/6/2014My wife and I enjoyed this birthday celebration dinner. It was near perfect. We both had the vegetarian pasta tasting menu and we gave the Sommelier a brief (style and price) and he made a very good choice. Of the seven courses only one (the Gnocchi) was average. The rest were outstanding. It is expensive, but as they say, if the food and service are great - it feels worthwhile. This is my third visit to Babbo and all have been consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- squisito!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2014Having graduated NYU some time ago, dining here has been on my bucket list for some time. Had a wonderful birthday dinner with my boyfriend, exceeded my much anticipated expectations! Everything from start to finish was perfect, waitstaff was so helpful and attentive. Was thrilled how humble the restaurant was for such a notably established and well regarded eatery.Special Features:
- EddieSpgettyDined on 8/5/2014Great ambience. Wonderful food and wine. Very helpful waitstaff and sommelier. Pasta tasting menu is highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the LineSuperbDined on 8/5/2014A great culinary experience. Excellent service. We were very pleased.Special Features:
- delahoyazamoraDined on 8/3/2014During our tasting course, servers always gave a pressure to my wife to hurry to finish each plate. But everything else was fine.Special Features:
- Babbo's east village's litte gemLongNightofSolaceDined on 8/2/2014Could not ask for a better New York City dining experience. We had a Reservation for 10:30 PM, but they were behind in service so my Wife and I had to wait a extra 30 min; It was well worth the wait thought, with the maitre d and the rest of the wait staff being extremely pleasant and cordial. Our food was just amazing, I don't think I have any other words to describe it just utterly jaw dropping. The Chefs and the Wait Staff where all on fire that night, I could not find a single fault with service. Over all I would recommend it to all... oh and don't get scared by the cost listed on some sites, my wife and I had about four courses and it came out to $214.00. which I think is a steal for fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!nevradleyVIPDined on 8/1/2014One of the best meals ever! Superb fish (branzino) and meat (rack of lamb & duck), not to mention the incredible pasta and the amazing wine (Poggio di Sotto Rosso di Montalcino 2008), with the sublime bourbon ice cream to round off an amazing dining experience. I don't believe there is better Italian food to be had anywhere in the US, and although it is expensive, it is still very good value compared to many other top New York eateries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing again!LewisVIPDined on 7/31/2014Waiter barely spoke English. Very heavy Spanish accent. Told my wife is allergic to bell peppers and did not like spicy food. Described appetizers. Ordered. Bread served.... No butter or oil served until we found someone and asked 20 min later. Appetizers came out same time as amuse ( bread with beans).....my wife's appetizer had peppers on top as a sig part of her dish and my appetizer was tossed with chili oil..... Both had to be sent back! No apology. Service last time spotty as well
- Bucket ListW666Dined on 7/31/2014At first I was not sure but as we walked through the door the adventure began - The 3 of us had the Pasta sampler/Pasta Taste tester - truly incredible - if you are a wine drinker then check your CA knowledge at the door - prepare to be educated - bit pricy but then again it is a bucket thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Mama Lidia's foodsteveMDined on 7/30/2014Babbo, as with all of the Bastianich restaurants, is such a lovely food experience. I always adore getting the pasta tasting, and all the yummy sides that accompany it. And the wine list is incredible too, from the most affordable to the special reserves that are off the charts. Love this place (especially right after the theater crowd departs). Make reservations well in advance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CathiePCathiePDined on 7/29/2014Ive been wanting to try this Restaurant on my trips to NYC. Finally made it and it was everything great I had heard about!!! Great Birthday dinner!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFoodieVIPDined on 7/29/2014Could not fault it on anything. Really enjoyed our evening.Special Features: