110 Waverly Place
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://babbonyc.com/
- Phone: 2127770303
- Hours of Operation:
Open seven days a week, lunch is Tuesday through Saturday 11:30am - 2pm, dinner is every night. Monday to Saturday the bar opens at 5pm, dinner service starts at 5:30pm, last reservations 11:15pm. On Sundays the bar opens at 4:30pm, dinner service begins at 5pm and the last reservations are at 10:45pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Mario Batali
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Cross Street: Between 6th Avenue and MacDougal Street
- Public Transit: West 4th street subway station (8th street/Waverly Place exit): A,C,E,B,D,F and M trains. We recommend traveling at the back of the train if coming from uptown, the front of the train if coming from downtown, to find the closest exit at the station.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking in front of the restaurant is available after 6pm. The nearest garage is GMC, between Fifth Avenue and MacDougal Street and can be entered via Eighth Street or Waverly Place.
A word from Babbo Ristorante
Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich's flagship restaurant, located on Waverly Place in Greenwich Village, opened to great acclaim in 1998 and is as bustling and popular as ever. It offers three-star dining that redefines and reinvents the principles of Italian cuisine for 21st century America. An epic, landmark wine list, an exciting, quintessentially New York dining room and expert, attentive and cordial service make a table at Babbo one of New York’s prized possessions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Babbo Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
387 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (243)special occasion (227)notable wine list (201)romantic (157)neighborhood gem (112)hot spot (83)great for lunch (57)vibrant bar scene (33)good for groups (27)late-night find (26)great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- All fantasticLululuDined on 9/26/2014My second time at Babbo and have no complaints about anything. Very delicious food and wine. Ambiance is nice and romantic. Service is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Total PackagemoelasalleDined on 9/25/2014My husband and I went to Babbo, to celebrate our anniversary...16 years ago we had one of our first dates at Mario Batali's restaurant Po, and we were not disappointed this time either!! The food was beautiful and delicious and the service was outstanding! From the greeting by the Host(& his staff) to the wait staff(George and Susan) and the bus staff(Cristina). We both agree the Grilled Octopus with “Borlotti Marinati” and Spicy Limoncello Vinaigrette was our favorite dish! It was outstanding! Can't wait to return to NYC and try another Batali restaurant.Special Features:
- Authentic. Timeless Excellent foodCookieDined on 9/23/2014Best Italian in Manhattan Eat at the bar Food is excellent. Authentic perfectly done. Ken at the bar was brilliant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always interestingTinaDined on 9/23/2014My meal was lovely, my companion was a bit disappointed in her entree. Not bad, mind you, but not exceptional. The desserts were fabulous. Service was very good, but lacked that special timing instinct which makes it great. We dined upstairs, so there is very little in the way of ambience, but at least we could have a conversation, which was our choice. downstairs is quite beautiful, and would get another star for ambience.Special Features:
- dont expect muchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/22/2014Booked one month in advance, and it was nor easy. After booking online you have to call the restaurant to confirm the reservation. All this, plus zagat madee think about a special place. But 1st of all, they dont respect much the reservatiln. I waited on my feet half an hour after our time. Food was very regular ams does not justic fsg.Special Features:
- Best food I have had in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/22/2014I'm surprised I haven't eaten here before. What an amazing restaurant! The food, the service, the location all terrific! Eat here! Prices are what you can expect for a fine dining restaurantSpecial Features:
- Excellent all aroundchefcatbirdDined on 9/21/2014I ate at several excellent restaurants while visiting NYC and this was the best, especially for the value. It was as good as a couple of Michelin starred restaurants I ate at, and only about 2/3rds the cost. The food was excellent and the service was very attentive, friendly and unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soMidnight2014VIPDined on 9/20/2014While the food was tasty, it was served luke warm and our many servers didn't seem interested in serving. One rolled his eyes when I asked for cutlery. We went for lunch (to treat a couple of friends to celebrate their recent wedding) but my dinner there a couple of years ago was far more memorable. It was just OK.
- DeliciousbirthdaygirlDined on 9/20/2014Food was delicious and service was great. The staff were really attentive throughout the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Babbo never disappoints. Amazing food, knowledgeable and friendly service and wonderful ambience. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentbabboDined on 9/18/2014Third time at babbo.always good service and great wine pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JHinUSDined on 9/17/2014A good insight into the New York dining scene; frenetic but under controlSpecial Features:
- Tourist spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014I had heard good things years ago so I wanted to try this place. Sadly, it was a miss - loud music, tons of tourists, salty food. The menu was inventive, but the preparation didn't deliver.
- Ups and downsshadowstarshineDined on 9/17/2014On arrival we informed the staff of our reservation and the upgrade we made via phone from 2 to 4 people. We were informed that no note was made of this and were talked to quite rudely. When our friends arrived however they seemed to just change their minds and we were seated. The food varied from so so to amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary lunchDemacheDined on 9/17/2014We have a favorite spot in the City but weren't too impressed with the lunch options for that day. We took this as an oppotunity to go elsewhere. We've been meaning to try Babbo but always ended up with our tried and true favorite. We loved how cozy Babbo is. It really felt like dining in someone's home. Very warm with high-end, delicious, creative food.Special Features:
- Lovely fun evening!Keelie52Dined on 9/16/2014The food was really wonderful and the setting lovely. We had a fab table for 4 and some lovely wine too. Great music choices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Babbo 2nd visitCgold212Dined on 9/16/2014It's an outstanding restaurant! The food and wine are by far and NYC standards the best, the servers are for the most part conscientious, though not warm or friendly. As an Italian I love his interpretations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique food and servicePrimal7Dined on 9/16/2014Well worth the effort in trying to locate Waverly place - the overall experience was perfect - all people had great personalities - the timing was perfect and the handwriting on the dessert place outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingBklynmomDined on 9/13/2014Service was outstanding, but we were underwhelmed by half of our dishes. Linguini with clams was peculiarly bland. Pig's foot was adequate. Fish and steak were excellent. Overall, we were disappointed in the food.Special Features:
- Babbo - why are you not there now?ShagahsDined on 9/13/2014It's a lovely place with impossibly professional service, impeccable decor, and food that belongs on your bucket list. Get off the internet and Go There Now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Angelo,AnneAngeloVIPDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful great food service and server cannot be best a must and will return in future Thanks for a great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagnificentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Went as a part of a weeken d trip for our 30th anniversary. It is the best restaurant of the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedEmilyVIPDined on 9/12/2014This meal (lunch) was my second at this restaurant. It had been several years since I was last there. And I have to say, I was disappointed. Feels like they're phoning it in. Food was fine but not at all thrilling. Service was a problem -- they tried very hard to rush us through our four courses, to the point where I started to get quite testy. Mr Batali should probably spend less time on tv and more on making sure guests are treated properly at his flagship.
- Simply PerfectMrCPWVIPDined on 9/10/2014As an owner of a fine dining restaurant I have come to appreciate the hard work and talent that goes into delivering a perfect dining experience for each guest. I could not have been more impressed with the food, the service, and outstanding wine selections.Special Features:
- Overrated.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Overrated. Some dishes, like the pork loin you could prepare them at home. Great pastas and fantastic wine list. Average bread and nice service. Too expensive for what you could get elsewhere, if you want Batali go to EatalySpecial Features:
- Unique and high qualityRestauranteur11Dined on 9/9/2014These guys know what they're doing -- food was delicious -- service was great -- we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Babbo-WOW!GregDined on 9/9/2014This was our first visit to Babbo and I do not know why we waited so long. I always had the impression it was just too expensive. But, for lunch it was a good value. The food was stellar. The service was attentive but not obsequious. As expected here, but not found in all Italian restaurants, the pasta was cooked to a perfect al dente texture. I had one of the specials, pointed out to us by our waiter, the Pork “Francobolli.” The sommelier graciously matched it with a perfect red. My guest had the Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe Pesto and Salami Calabrese. This is a superb variation on an Italian classic. We finished the meal with the Pistachio and Chocolate Semifreddo. That was simply the best dessert I have ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kmo1854Dined on 9/8/2014We had the special salad which was delicious and then we shared the pasta with lobster and it didn't have much flavor. I would say the red sauce was very average. We had the lamb and halibut and again nothing special. I felt it was very overrated and would not go back. We had to ask someone to get a server to take our order. We must have waited 15 minutes before anyone came to our table and it was a Monday night.
- BrookDined on 9/6/2014I had the feeling I was dining in Tuscany , great food and excellent wines.Special Features:
- MehTatyanaVIPDined on 9/5/2014Babbo still has good food, but the service we had was inept. Our server didn't know the menu, he messed up our drinks and he would disappear for long periods of time. Meanwhile, there were about 6 staff milling about on the second floor none of whom offered to take our order or find our server. They were just standing around chitchatting. The only redeeming thing about our experience was the knowledgeable and charismatic sommelier. I think in the future I'll stick with Marea and Ai Fiori for special occasions, because this did not feel special in any way.Special Features:
- Lovely from start to finish.DayHuDined on 9/2/2014My husband and I enjoyed a beautiful meal of the traditional tasting menu with accompanying wines. The food was delicious (especially the pappardelle, wow) and the service was honestly superb - informed and courteous. They were sensitive to my husband's dietary restriction. Thank you Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich for creating such a lovely and memorable restaurant - we will recommend to all our friends visiting New York.Special Features:
- Did not meet expectationsIzzyKVIPDined on 9/2/2014I have been wanting to eat at Babbo for an eternity. Dinner reservations were difficult to obtain. I checked OpenTable for a lunch reservation this week and there was plenty of availability one day prior. I was psyched! The food was OK. Just OK. I love the other Batali restaurants but I felt my meal fell short. I had arugula salad which was OK and grilled octopus which was a little tough and a little mealy. I love octopus and have been eating it all my life so I know how it should be. Just nothing special. That was a shock to me as the other restaurants were great.Special Features:
- One of a kindELC69VIPDined on 9/1/2014Simply delicious! Duck was perfectly cooked, octopus as starter is a most. Best wine selection ever seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnificent mealGR23Dined on 9/1/2014It was beyond our expectations. The pasta tasting menu is unique and the quartinos were great options for wine for the appropriate courses. The food is absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/31/2014We dine quite frequently at Babbo and have never been disappointed in the food or the service. All of the pasta dishes are excellent, however, the black spaghetti is one of our all time favorites. The rib eye for two is another stand out item that we highly recommend. The wine list is tremendous and the sommeliers are very helpful in providing a recommendation. This is an experience not to be missed.Special Features:
- TJmtlDined on 8/29/2014The food at Babbo was delicious and the ambiance was great. We had an excellent overall experience!Special Features:
- FabulouslookinferfoodDined on 8/29/2014Our second trip to Babbo did not disappoint (except for being limited to a 5:30 reservation). We were in town for the US Open and to celebrate a friend's birthday. The scallop special and lamb were standouts and the pistachio and chocolate semi freddo was a near religious experience. Service was prompt and attentive and the sommelier helpful. This is a standout New York City dining experience. Looking forward to eating there again (maybe later in the evening next time.....?).Special Features:
- Food Flavors & textures galoreRickchen007Dined on 8/28/2014Best Grilled Octopus! Texture was soft & almost creamy insider with grilled exterior with amazing flavors. Apparently secret is tenderizing when boiling/braising with wine corks.Wife & I split Beef Cheek Ravioli and the squab liver & black truffles sauce was umami. Also had Gnocchi w/braised oxtail which was good. For secondi, we had the Grilled Pork Chop (excellent) & Barbecued Squab (terrific). Our server was extremely knowledgeable, made great recommendations with seamless service almost stealth like with perfect timing from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New to BabbosFoodieGalDined on 8/28/2014We had never dined here before and had heard a lot about it. We chose it for a special meal with our daughter because we had read good things. The food was excellent and superb and the atmosphere appropriate for a nice meal of this sort. The only thing that was a little off was the service. It wasn't "bad" but it was a little odd and a little bit rushed. My daughter was even picking up a piece of bread from her bread plate, and the server came over and moved it mid-pick up. Kind of shocking. The service had that feel of "finish your meal, we have another booking" while trying to appear 5 star. So it was a good meal because the food was so great, but lacked a bit in the relaxation factor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved the 1st time, just OK nextRDawaltDined on 8/28/2014No as good the second time, again at lunch. One pasta needed salt the other was overly salty. Fish dish was interesting but not delicious. Had this been our first time, we probably would not have returned. The restaurant is understaff. Drinks and service tend to be relaxed to slow; even after you catch someone's eye and make a request, it may be a while before the straw, butter, martini appear. In my previous review I said that there were no good tables downstairs. I still feel that way but the tables opposite the bar have the least traffic back and forth except for new arrivals who don't form a stream as the wait staff does coming and going from the kitchen. I'll either try it at night of chose Del Posto for my next excursion.